• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

George Lucas Making Changes to Star Wars Saga... Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xun

Kagari said:
Katie Lucas isn't that great either. She wrote some episodes of the Clone Wars TV show and they weren't anything special.
Speaking of Katie Lucas it's surprising how fat she is.

Well, not really. But I was expecting something hotter.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Spotless Mind said:
I never thought Lucas could top the Han shoots first fiasco, but that Vader addition is probably the most awful yet.

If the original cuts were released in a cleaned up form, i honestly wouldn't give a shit what he did.
Worst changes in my opinion:

#1: Vader saying "Noooooooooooo"
#2: Hayden Christenson replacing Sebastian Shaw in the closing shot of RotJ.
#3: Han shooting Greedo first.

Han shooting Greedo is an iconic scene that introduces us to the character of Solo

The closing shot of RotJ was perfect with Sebastian Shaw. It's probably one of the best closing shots in film history, and it's that parting smile you see on Anakin's face which seals it. Replacing him with Hayden not only ruins tthe best part of that scene, it ruins the ending of the series, and it also confuses viewers who haven't seen the prequel trilogy yet since they'd have no idea that person was anakin

Vader saying "nooooooooooo," well, that scene's the climax of the entire star wars saga. It doesn't get much worse than ruining the climax of a story, which is why I rank this as the worst change out of the 3 I listed.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Xun said:

May I ask why?

MkbPP.jpg

Sapiens

A part of me believes that the outraged fans are actually kind of enjoying nitpicking over every change.

I mean, if the were released untouched, they would have nothing to talk about right?

At least they can still be entertained by star wars, even if it is kind of silly to be so offended.

Xun said:

What does this have to do with anything?

Kagari said:
Katie Lucas isn't that great either. She wrote some episodes of the Clone Wars TV show and they weren't anything special.

She seems to understand Star Wars more than her father, and even respects the EU apparently, so fans like her so far

3rdman

antonz said:
Lucas's explanation for Hayden is Anakin "died" when he became Vader. so You see Anakin as he was. So basically Obi-Wan, Yoda etc get fucked because they lived a good life.
I've heard that and it's a stupid argument because you could also say that he was "reborn" when he saved Luke from the Emperor. The last image we have of Anakin on the side of right was as Darth.

It's just Lucas reminding us that he's a douche.

I'm a guy who loves CG, thought the ROTS "Noooo" was great the first time I saw it (before the mocking), and think it's pretty fascinating to see these movies treated as eternal works-in-progress. But changing the climax of the whole damn saga to better bookend the existence of Darth Vader with "Noooo"s seems really, really wrong.

bengraven

A co-worker of mine was once trying to find a loophole in the lawbooks to have Star Wars taken away from George Lucas based on "art defimation".

mattp

fanboys 2

4 friends go on a road trip to lucas ranch to murder george lucas so the rights will be passed onto someone who isn't an asshole and will release the real original trilogy on bluray

Medalion

Banned
Kermit The Dog said:
Excuse my ignorance, but has Vader's NOOOO from Star Wars 3 been altered already? It's only been a few years...?
What makes you think they would alter that? The very fact they liked it so much they had to add it 2 more times but in the OT?

bill0527

Kermit The Dog said:
Excuse my ignorance, but has Vader's NOOOO from Star Wars 3 been altered already? It's only been a few years...?

NOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooo it hasn't been altered in Episode 3, but they're taking that same snippet of dialogue and adding it to a scene in RoTJ.

Medalion said:
What makes you think they would alter that? The very fact they liked it so much they had to add it 2 more times but in the OT?

They altered it on the dvd release, made it shorter than the original

Worst changes in my opinion:

#1: Vader saying "Noooooooooooo"
#2: Hayden Christenson replacing Sebastian Shaw in the closing shot of RotJ.
#3: Han shooting Greedo first.
There's no way that Jedi Rocks doesn't make it into the top 3. That along with these new changes all but makes Jedi a nearly unwatchable mess.:(

Futurevoid said:
There's no way that Jedi Rocks doesn't make it into the top 3. That along with these new changes all but makes Jedi a nearly unwatchable mess.:(

Was added crap that can be fast forwarded through, but the other changes are considered worst because they actually changed important scenes

Futurevoid said:

This. A million times over. To me, this one hurts a LOT. Add the new Vader "dialog" and ROTJ has become beyond repair. :(

Futurevoid said:

You're right, Jedi Rocks is just as bad as the other 3. I have no problem with making it a top 4 list.

BattleMonkey said:
Was added crap that can be fast forwarded through, but the other changes are considered worst because they actually changed important scenes
The fact that you prescribe fast forwarding is telling on how bad the change is.

I would say that Jedi Rocks completely changes the entire atmosphere of Jabba's palace. The grimy, criminal underground feel that it always carried prior to the muppets coming along and fucking that up. Add in the Bobba flirting scene, the dug walking around while everyone is asleep for the sake of having movement in every frame - it just destroys one of the best settings/locations in the trilogy. I consider that just as important.

I'll add that as an adult, Empire Strikes Back is the end all for me as far as Star Wars films are concerned. When I was a kid though? Jedi was it. I absolutely loved it and it pains me to see it so destroyed. By far, it's the film that's been most trashed with these changes.

Varna

ruby_onix said:
I think I finally get it.

Films are being destroyed and we're content to let it happen. Lucas wanted to stop it, but he didn't have the power. We're the only ones with that kind of power. He wanted to wake us up. He wanted to open our eyes. He wanted to teach us. So he took up the mantle of a super villain.

He's destroying Star Wars because he wants to save the world, and the risk to Star Wars is a relatively small price to pay for that. He desperately wants to be stopped. He's showing us as much pure evil as he can muster, bearing in mind that it's actually painful for him to act like this.

Unfortunately, even knowing this, we're powerless to change the law and arrest Lucas. His plan is doomed to fail.

Wow. Just like
Raven
in KOTOR 2!

Futurevoid said:
The fact that you prescribe fast forwarding is telling on how bad the change is.

I would say that Jedi Rocks completely changes the entire atmosphere of Jabba's palace. The grimy, criminal underground feel that it always carried prior to the muppets coming along and fucking that up. Add in the Bobba flirting scene, the dug walking around while everyone is asleep for the sake of having movement in every frame - it just destroys one of the best settings/locations in the trilogy. I consider that just as important.

I'll add that as an adult, Empire Strikes Back is the end all for me as far as Star Wars films are concerned. When I was a kid though? Jedi was it. I absolutely loved it and it pains me to see it so destroyed. By far, it's the film that's been most trashed with these changes.

I still say it's not as bad as the other things, which are criminal changes. But if it's such a sticking point for you, then put in in your top 4 of 5.

Futurevoid said:

Jedi is an odd beast. Half of it is some of the most incredible stuff of the entire trilogy, mainly the atmosphere and music in the Luke/Vader showdown. The other half is sort of silly and a strange contrast to the weight of the Luke/Vader stuff.

All around, though, Empire is without a doubt the best. Not only is it a great story, but it's a beautiful looking film. I will always have a special place for the original too, before all the tinkering.

Anth0ny

mrklaw said:
manabyte tweeted this article which I found interesting http://secrethistoryofstarwars.com/savingstarwars.html

Seems like they could fairly easily redo an original restoration either from the original negative or even Lucas' private Technicolor print (!).

This.

Technicolor prints, unlike the 35mm prints that most theatres in the world received, can pretty much last forever without fading/turning pink. That's what happens to 35mm film over time.

In 1977 when Star Wars was released, Technicolor had closed down in North America. Printing films on 35mm was cheap, easy and quick. And besides, at the time, audiences and directors alike enjoyed the look grain gave to the film, which Technicolor lacked.

However, in Britain, Technicolor was still barely alive. A couple of technicolor prints of Star Wars were made for showings, and one was given to George Lucas. How many? No one knows for sure, but it is estimated to be no higher than 10. Technicolor closed down in Britain soonafter, so Empire nor Jedi were printed in the format.

Fast forward to 2010. Some collector lends a technicolor print of Star Wars to The Senator theatre on it's last night. The thing looked PRISTINE. Basically, this is what we want on Blu Ray, folks:

948683030_EtQfE-L.jpg

948700127_HWb8n-X2.jpg

948710091_APpYJ-XL.jpg

It looks fantastic. Unfortunately, if this collector steps up and allows someone to scan the film/release it in HD to the masses, George would send his stormtroopers to confiscate the film. Someone played a 35mm print of the original Empire Strikes Back on it's 30th anniversary and Lucasfilm actually confiscated the print.

WillyFive

Anth0ny said:
It looks fantastic. Unfortunately, if this collector steps up and allows someone to scan the film/release it in HD to the masses, George would send his stormtroopers to confiscate the film. Someone played a 35mm print of the original Empire Strikes Back on it's 30th anniversary and Lucasfilm actually confiscated the print.

But if the film gets distributed on the Internet, it could be impossible to stop.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Gary Whitta said:
Tested podcast today is going out LIVE today at 1:30pm. I am going to tear the shit out of Lucas and these fucking Blu-rays. My nerdrage runneth over.
I'm surprised Gary hasn't stormed one of our campuses yet. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom