• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

George Lucas Making Changes to Star Wars Saga... Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Preferring Yub Nub is a dead giveaway that you just hate change for the sake of hating change. That song is awful, was always awful. I remember all the kids at school making fun of it after the movie came out, right alongside the Ewoks. Galaxy-spanning mythic saga ending with a bunch of teddy bears singing gibberish dance tunes? Gimme a break.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Medalion said:
The "real" George Lucas died after ROTJ so yeah I could see that...

Nah, he was already in his death throes by then. Musical numbers, Ewoks, Boba Fett's terrible death, etc. The Star Wars films have been lame for 24 years.

BattleMonkey said:
Lame ending to the saga was lame. Cartoony dance number in a little party around a fire in the trees.... you have this giant galactic empire that has been under the thumb of the Emperor for almost 2 decades and it's demise is boiled down to a corny little after party with teddy bears shitty music.

Nope, that was the moment where change began, in that little clearing in the forest. That was the whole point.

What would have followed that were months, if not years of rebel and local forces fighting the remnants of the Imperial war machine that were still deployed across millions of systems throughout the galaxy, including the ones shown in the alternate ending. Do you really think that there would instantly be no Imperial presence still loyal to the Empire anywhere on those planets as soon as the emperor was thrown down the exhaust tube? No star destroyers under imperial control still in orbit?

Sorry, but the alternate ending should have been showing bloodbaths in the fucking streets. Instead, Lucas tacked on and ending even cornier than the original.

JoshuaJSlone said:
Love or hate what George does, alterations like he does to Star Wars aren't what he's complaining about there. There he's talking about copyright-holders taking old works they originally had nothing to do with, and replacing them with altered versions. George IS Star Wars, though. If this were 2050 and General Electric was releasing their own modified version of Empire Strikes Back, that would be what 1988 George is bitching about.
I wonder if 1988 George Lucas would complain about a meddling producer coming in thirty years after the fact and fucking with Irvin Kershner's work a year after he died.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
MattKeil said:
Preferring Yub Nub is a dead giveaway that you just hate change for the sake of hating change. That song is awful, was always awful. I remember all the kids at school making fun of it after the movie came out, right alongside the Ewoks. Galaxy-spanning mythic saga ending with a bunch of teddy bears singing gibberish dance tunes? Gimme a break.

Yup. And the "Gungan yell ruins the whole scene" excuse is also bunk. A 2 second scream from a backround character has more impact than a cheesy 2 minute long song spouting childish alien gibberish?

Barberetti said:
Nope, that was the moment where change began, in that little clearing in the forest. That was the whole point.

What would have followed that were months, if not years of rebel and local forces fighting the remnants of the Imperial war machine that were still deployed across millions of systems throughout the galaxy, including the ones shown in the alternate ending. Do you really think that there would instantly be no Imperial presence still loyal to the Empire anywhere on those planets as soon as the emperor was thrown down the exhaust tube? No star destroyers under imperial control still in orbit?

Sorry, but the alternate ending should have been showing bloodbaths in the fucking streets. Instead, Lucas tacked on and ending even cornier than the original.

The celebration in the forest remains, just replaced by a better song. People celebrating the death of the Emperor is just showing a celebration. Course even the EU material for SW does have stormtroopers putting down those victory celebrations violently and the war does continue for years after.

But you can't expect there to be no reaction to the death of such an important figure as Palpatine across the galaxy.

MattKeil said:
Exactly. Plus, the new John Williams music that replaced it is fucking ace.

I completely understand hating Jedi Rocks, Greedo Shoots First, Vader NOOO; but whining about this Yub Nub change from over ten years ago seems a little over the top.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Barberetti said:

It's a fantasy myth. You kill the big bad monster, you win. Struggle over, happily ever after. It is hilarious that the same people who go on about how the end of Jedi should have acknowledged the Imperial Remnant and the political issues at hand due to the removal of the Emperor but not the Galaxy-spanning Imperial government structure are the same people who bitch that the prequels lead off with a trade taxation dispute. They're both equally boring ideas in a space opera adventure serial.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
people who bothered hating the ewoks or the musical sequence at the end back then were just disillusioned about this series not being targeted towards children in the first place.

ultron87

Barberetti said:

The celebration on Coruscant seem a little far fetched. But on Tatooine or Bespin? I doubt there would be that huge of an Imperial presence there.

Gary Whitta said:
YUB NUB CONFIRMED. Tune in at 1:30PM PST:

www.tested.com/live

It must be a british thing gary, you have my spear bro.

ewok1.jpg

moggio

Banned
Azar said:
Uh, no. I wasn't saying that at all. Some of the mistakes just seem slipshod for ILM. Like I said, I don't even know how involved they are in the process.

Considering ILM is owned by Lucasfilm I don't imagine they have much of a choice but to satisfy every whim of Herr Lucas.

They probably have the same enthusiasm a heroin addled, dead-eyed hooker might have grinding on George's raw, shrunken peen for 5 bucks.

BattleMonkey said:
The celebration in the forest remains, just replaced by a better song.

Worse.

People celebrating the death of the Emperor is just showing a celebration. Course even the EU material for SW does have stormtroopers putting down those victory celebrations violently and the war does continue for years after.

But you can't expect there to be no reaction to the death of such an important figure as Palpatine across the galaxy.

No, I do expect there to be a reaction, and my previous post detailed it.

MattKeil said:
It's a fantasy myth. You kill the big bad monster, you win. Struggle over, happily ever after.

Yeah I know. Both endings of RotJ cover that. Your point?

It is hilarious that the same people who go on about how the end of Jedi should have acknowledged the Imperial Remnant and the political issues at hand due to the removal of the Emperor but not the Galaxy-spanning Imperial government structure are the same people who bitch that the prequels lead off with a trade taxation dispute.

I wouldn't know, I'm not one of them.

djm

I don't think anything makes me feel older right now than these discussions or hearing people say they prefer the Special Edition and re-releases (or prequels :(). I was born in '88, and grew up watching the theatrical release VHS tapes. That's totally fine if people grew up with the new versions, it's not their fault they weren't born 10 or 20 years earlier.

I'm hoping this has been said already, but the reason people give a shit about this is because it reminds them of their childhood. Watching the SE Star Wars and seeing CGI inserted in is jarring, and immediately makes me realize I'm not a kid anymore. The scene alterations or music changes aren't as offensive to me, but I can't stand the CGI stuff. Some of it makes sense, but when Lucas puts stuff in just because he can, it's so obnoxious.

Obviously, no amount of bitching is going to make Lucas change his ways at this point, but this is the internet, afterall. Lucas will probably do 2 or 3 more rereleases, depending on how many more physical media formats we go through, and then do the final cash in at the end when he releases the restored normal versions that everyone will probably buy.

In short, I feel like Old Man Star Wars.

Jarmel

Banned
You know what, I wouldn't give a shit if he gave the originals. This is his fucking legacy and he should give the fans who supported him a bone. Hell people have offered to do the work for him and he still fucking refuses. I honestly can't wait till he dies and someone who knows what the fuck they are doing, gets their hands on the license.

Why the hell is it hard to atleast acknowledge your fans and give them some support. This shit blows my mind. He's so prideful that he doesn't even hear all the people saying his changes suck.

Salmonax

My problem with the revised Jedi ending is that the added shots are terribly dull - a marathon of sterile CG wide shots of people we don't care about dancing in the streets. Once it gets back to the Ewok village, it's fine and the music is appropriate (if not a little dull). But then we see Hayden staring off into space with a nonsensically evil look and it sucks again.

I'm guess I'm turning into a purist at this point, since we can't seem to get any of the good changes without piles of miserable junk stuck to them.

ultron87 said:
The celebration on Coruscant seem a little far fetched. But on Tatooine or Bespin? I doubt there would be that huge of an Imperial presence there.

Tatooine had two star destroyers patrolling in orbit in ANH. No idea about Bespin outside of Cloud City, but the planet itself is a gas giant if I remember correctly?

JB1981

Jarmel said:
You know what, I wouldn't give a shit if he gave the originals. This is his fucking legacy and he should give the fans who supported him a bone. Hell people have offered to do the work for him and he still fucking refuses. I honestly can't wait till he dies and someone who knows what the fuck they are doing, gets their hands on the license.

Why the hell is it hard to atleast acknowledge your fans and give them some support. This shit blows my mind. He's so prideful that he doesn't even hear all the people saying his changes suck.

The man is clearly an egomaniac.

Levyne

Banned
djm said:
I don't think anything makes me feel older right now than these discussions or hearing people say they prefer the Special Edition and re-releases (or prequels :(). I was born in '88, and grew up watching the theatrical release VHS tapes. That's totally fine if people grew up with the new versions, it's not their fault they weren't born 10 or 20 years earlier.

I'm hoping this has been said already, but the reason people give a shit about this is because it reminds them of their childhood. Watching the SE Star Wars and seeing CGI inserted in is jarring, and immediately makes me realize I'm not a kid anymore. The scene alterations or music changes aren't as offensive to me, but I can't stand the CGI stuff. Some of it makes sense, but when Lucas puts stuff in just because he can, it's so obnoxious.

Obviously, no amount of bitching is going to make Lucas change his ways at this point, but this is the internet, afterall. Lucas will probably do 2 or 3 more rereleases, depending on how many more physical media formats we go through, and then do the final cash in at the end when he releases the restored normal versions that everyone will probably buy.

In short, I feel like Old Man Star Wars.

I was born in 89 so I was rightly in the prefect age bracket when the SE came out. After seeing the originals since, I will say that a lot of the added stuff does seem very very..extra.

The two things that I DID like are:

1.) Ending music (I LOVE the Williams ending music...sorry)
2.) There is a scene near the end of ROTJ that shows a statue of Palpatine being torn down iirc. That one I think is fine.

Edit: I guess concerning #2 that might clash with Remnant/EU stuff? I haven't read any of the book nor played many of the video games (just Kotor(goodish) and Force Unleashed (badish))

Also han shot first, but that's a gimme.

ultron87

Salmonax said:
My problem with the revised Jedi ending is that the added shots are terribly dull - a marathon of sterile CG wide shots of people we don't care about dancing in the streets. Once it gets back to the Ewok village, it's fine and the music is appropriate. But then we see Hayden staring off into space with a nonsensically evil look and it sucks again.

I'm guess I'm turning into a purist at this point, since we can't seem to get any of the good changes without piles of miserable junk stuck to them.

I like the ending that was with the original version of the Special Edition the best. You get celebrations around the galaxy to show the scope and significance of the victory, no Naboo, and no Hayden.

Even if it isn't the best CG shots of the cities these days, I really do love seeing all those cities again and getting a quick reminder of some of the places from the rest of the trilogy. And you get to see Coruscant for the first time on film, which was very cool (even if the idea of a celebration there is somewhat far fetched).

Barberetti said:
Tatooine had two star destroyers patrolling in orbit in ANH. No idea about Bespin outside of Cloud City, but the planet itself is a gas giant if I remember correctly?

I believe those were only there over Tatooine because they knew the Death Star plans were on the planet somewhere and they wanted to stop anyone from escaping with them. I doubt they'd have that much firepower stationed over a shithole like Tatooine permanently.

Bespin is a good source of natural resources, so there might be slightly more military presence there.

Salmonax

Jarmel said:
You know what, I wouldn't give a shit if he gave the originals. This is his fucking legacy and he should give the fans who supported him a bone.
This is the beginning, middle, and end of the issue. If he would just continue to release restored versions of the originals along with the carnival sideshows we have now, nobody would have a word to say.

JB1981

im trying to buy the boxed set with the unedited movies and i can't find it online anywhere .. the ones on amazon marketplace are like $127

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
JB1981 said:
im trying to buy the boxed set with the unedited movies and i can't find it online anywhere .. the ones on amazon marketplace are like $127
Check in stores.. Ive seen it on shelves recently for like $30 :p or you can probably buy the 3 individual releases.

Salmonax said:
My problem with the revised Jedi ending is that the added shots are terribly dull - a marathon of sterile CG wide shots of people we don't care about dancing in the streets. Once it gets back to the Ewok village, it's fine and the music is appropriate (if not a little dull). But then we see Hayden staring off into space with a nonsensically evil look and it sucks again.

I'm not even a purist, lucas can pull as many changes out of his arse as he wants, i just want the films that i watched as a kid given respect and a quality treatment going into the future.

My money is here, ready and waiting for him to stop being a spiteful little cunt.

3rdman

JoshuaJSlone said:
Love or hate what George does, alterations like he does to Star Wars aren't what he's complaining about there. There he's talking about copyright-holders taking old works they originally had nothing to do with, and replacing them with altered versions. George IS Star Wars, though. If this were 2050 and General Electric was releasing their own modified version of Empire Strikes Back, that would be what 1988 George is bitching about.
I don't know about that...what if (and this is a serious question) the copyright holder is mentally unstable? Should someone be allowed to change/break/burn something they own years after its creation? Hell, at this point, I do question his mentality...He is the uber-child who took his ball and won't let anyone else play.

Many directors and writers refer to the process of creating as "giving birth" and once it's "out there", it becomes part of those who read/view it. Personally I wouldn't have a problem with the changes if there was an untouched and pristine copy available.

At this point it seems that only two things will lead the release of the original versions...he dies or the sales of these sets and future Star Wars merchandise falls off an edge.

ultron87 said:
I believe those were only there over Tatooine because they knew the Death Star plans were on the planet somewhere and they wanted to stop anyone from escaping with them.

Maybe, but Solo didn't seem that surprised when they turned up. Still doesn't change the fact that there are ground forces etc though.

JB1981 said:

Yeah, same here. I never got around to grabbing them, mostly out of disappointment in the effort put into them, but I didn't expect them to go up so quickly.

I'm not paying that much. I guess I'll try to rip my VHS copies to DVD. I have three different VHS Trilogy box sets: the first widescreen release with the hologram cover, the THX remastered widescreen, and the SE widescreen.

Island

JB1981 said:

I bought the 3 DVD's separately from Future Shop here in Canada for $19/each.

Risette

A Good Citizen
So are the 2006 DVDs going to be impossible to find after this, or is it just fans+hoarders/scalpers panicing/trying to cash in? After all this uproar I feel like checking out the theatrical versions... bad time to decide that I suppose. ;_;

Branduil

Aigis said:
So are the 2006 DVDs going to be impossible to find after this, or is it just fans+hoarders/scalpers panicing/trying to cash in? After all this uproar I feel like checking out the theatrical versions... bad time to decide that I suppose. ;_;
I have them right here. Feels good man.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Aigis said:
There are a bazillion copies of them out there... It might be out of print and not immiediately available new online, but I'll bet you there are a ton of copies on store shelves or used. If it's "hard to find" color me very surprised.

Ithil

BattleMonkey said:
Lame ending to the saga was lame. Cartoony dance number in a little party around a fire in the trees.... you have this giant galactic empire that has been under the thumb of the Emperor for almost 2 decades and it's demise is boiled down to a corny little after party with teddy bears shitty music.
It's not really a demise though. It's not like the entire Empire just vanished, they lost their leader and a lot of their fleet, including their biggest ship.

That's a massive blow, probably a fatal one, but it's not like all the armies and generals throughout the galaxy just stopped breathing when the Emperor took a close look at the reactor core.

It seems a bit silly for all planets in the galaxy to be united in celebration on the same night.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Ithil said:
It seems a bit silly for all planets in the galaxy to be united in celebration on the same night.

It's a childrens movie with laser-sword wielding space wizards. The idea that: Evil Emperor dead -----> party time, is not really out of place.

thefro

MattKeil said:

The song they added in the Special Edition doesn't even sync properly with the footage. You have a bunch of Ewoks playing Stormtrooper helmets and dancing and it's all off.

That's why Yub Nub works better.

Levyne

Banned
thefro said:
The song they added in the Special Edition doesn't even sync properly with the footage. You have a bunch of Ewoks playing Stormtrooper helmets and dancing and it's all off.

They have drum hits in the Williams song for the stormtrooper-helmet-drums.

I don't know how close the drum-dubbing is, but its not like they didn't take it into account...

Ithil

thefro said:

I always did wonder where the rest of the Stormtrooper went.

AkuMifune

Banned
Aigis said:

At this point $100 is a small price to pay to know I have the unfuckedwith versions locked in safe for my children.

flyover

One of the reasons people hate a change like the Ewok song has little to do with taste, or Nostalgia for its own sake. Nostalgia plays into it, but that's oversimplifying things.

It's because, for the people who love Star Wars (though I don't count myself among them), what happened in the original is a matter of historical record to them -- even if that history is fictional.

When you make a change after the fact, even one that may be objectively for the better, you inspire viewers to think, "But that's not the way it happened!"

Intellectually, people know these works are fiction, but they carry some serious emotional resonance. These movies matter to people. The stories we've chosen as favorites help us self-define who we are.

But if even some small aspects of the story change, then that story is no longer the same story, and those who define themselves by those stories lose something. Even when the change is just getting rid of a goofy Ewok song.

(Lucas isn't making these changes for people who've seen and love the series. He's thinking of a legacy that goes beyond his lifetime. He's making them for people who have yet to see the series. He wants these new versions to be "the way it happened" to them.)

The special edition song is better, but I still sort of prefer Yub Nub because it sounds like a song that comes from the scene itself. It's more in-line with the idea that the characters are fine with celebrating on Endor, I think.

levious said:
people who bothered hating the ewoks or the musical sequence at the end back then were just disillusioned about this series not being targeted towards children in the first place.
I don't think it was, Lucas didn't know who his market would be when making ANH then next time he made a film it was ROTJ where he pushed the kiddy stuff far more then had ever been hinted at.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom