• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

George Lucas Making Changes to Star Wars Saga... Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

antonz

Medalion said:
I honestly don't see much a diff between that and the original version, and before you go and show me the original... I really don't give a fuck

Of all the changes made, this is the possible lowest of things to care about at least for me
Top frames there are the originals

apana said:
Only a matter of time before he decides to remake the original trilogy with brand new actors.
I don't care if he does that, at least that doesn't change the originals. What he's doing now is worse.

Aigis said:
Carbon-03.jpg
Carbon-01.jpg

uh, what

why

Those effects are babylon 5 bad...fuck me.

Solo

There is no way Ford would ever do another Star Wars. Hammill is probably content to keep doing voice work. Fisher is nutty enough that she would probably do it.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Solo said:
There is no way Ford would ever do another Star Wars. Hammill is probably content to keep doing voice work. Fisher is nutty enough that she would probably do it.
I would pay cash money to see a cantankerous old Han Solo movie.

(No fridge jumping, please.)

Dead Man

Aigis said:
http://lh4.ggpht.com/-MyNqdZOABO0/Tl7MSjyb3AI/AAAAAAAAIaM/oQN74d5U1qg/s800/Carbon-03.jpg[img][img]http://lh6.ggpht.com/-oWV4PI7UZi4/Tl7DCYKieMI/AAAAAAAAIZA/unHN6mzHk08/s800/Carbon-01.jpg[img]
uh, what

why[/QUOTE]
That just looks bad.

Sanjuro

Solo said:
They should just make a new trilogy with new actors and characters.

FUCK.

apana

A sequel to the original trilogy wouldn't really work. I'd like to go deep back into Jedi history, maybe look at the planet where the Jedi order first arose. It happened on Earth! It turns out a Galaxy far far away is actualy this one and a long time ago means the present.

Sanjuro

apana said:
A sequel to the original trilogy wouldn't really work. I'd like to go deep back into Jedi history, maybe look at the planet where the Jedi order first arose. It happened on Earth! It turns out a Galaxy far far away is actualy this one and a long time ago means the present.
There is no reason why it wouldn't work. There is no reason anything couldn't work.

apana

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
There is no reason why it wouldn't work. There is no reason anything couldn't work.

Well I suppose you are right about that. It's just that there are two options with regards to a sequel trilogy. First you'd have to bring all the original cast back and have them mentoring young kids along with creating some kind of new villain. It gets kind of hairy. The second option is having the new trilogy set very far in the future so you dont need any of the original cast. Well if you are going to do that, might as well set it in the past, there is interesting history to explore. Jedi and Sith origin stories could be really cool.

bill0527

People, FFS, PLEASE stop saying you want a new trilogy. Don't start begging for this until after George is long retired/dead.

Tabris

I would love to see someone like Peter Jackson (or a director/writer team that can handle 6 movies) be given the rights to remake Star Wars 1 to 6. Let him change it up and just keep the general outline and theme, i.e. Anakin's fall and redemption.

tuffy

apana said:
Only a matter of time before he decides to remake the original trilogy with brand new actors.
That's what he should've done from the start if he's so intent on making the prequel trilogy cohesive with the original. All movies are representative of their times. That's why no amount of CG tweaking can hide the fact that "Star Wars" still looks like a movie that's over 30 years old. The way that it's shot, the acting and even the hairstyles all date the film. So all these additions are invariably distracting because the audience intuitively knows they don't belong.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
You can add all the shit you want, but please give me the original versions too. What's so hard/wrong about that?

Lucas is a megalomaniac. His way or no way (unfortunately, his way keeps changing).

antonz

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
You can add all the shit you want, but please give me the original versions too. What's so hard/wrong about that?
Yep there really is no excuse anymore. They always talked about how poor condition the remaining reels were etc. The fact a new set of reels were discovered in near perfect condition means no more bullshit. Get it done.

He is making sure the movie trailer reels I have for the prequels will never be worth money :(

apana said:

It would certainly work better than a history lesson that no one (ie not EU fans) cares about.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
CartridgeBlower said:
People -- he has to keep changing things so you'll buy the "Star Wars Original And Untouched Editions!" five years down the road...c'mon now...
I think he will package another shitty version of the originals with future double-dips.

antonz

CartridgeBlower said:
People -- he has to keep changing things so you'll also buy the "Star Wars Original And Untouched Editions!" five years down the road...c'mon now...
7 years at a minimum. 2017 is when Return of the Jedi 3D will be in theaters

Levyne

Banned
The solution is obvious.

An aging Leia, now chancellor or whatever of the new republic, gets sent back in time where she must lead younger, cooler, and more fit versions of the trio against whatever evil force.

The timeline will splinter off and voila, episode 7.

Rorschach

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
See, this is more "destroying your childhood" than remakes/re-imaginings/whatever. He's actually making it hard for you to find the originals and impossible to find them in the newest media.

It's amazing that, even with all these ridiculous changes, they still fucked up the colour of Luke's lightsabre changing from blue to green.

God that new Han effect is awful. Might as well remake the entire trilogy if he's going to obsessively change minor details he feels look dated.

Glass Joe

antonz said:
Yep there really is no excuse anymore. They always talked about how poor condition the remaining reels were etc. The fact a new set of reels were discovered in near perfect condition means no more bullshit. Get it done.

He is making sure the movie trailer reels I have for the prequels will never be worth money :(

Which was always a dodgy excuse anyway, since you'd need the original in order to tamper with the original. Plus it's not like Star Wars was some little flick, there had to be plenty of usable versions around if he was actually interested. Especially with ILM helping to restore (instead of making Ewoks blink, etc) it'd be a non issue.

But yeah, Lucas is so far gone... surrounded by yes men and his ego. He even has Spielberg going around saying he regretted the changes he was convinced into making for E.T. It's like he knows the feedback is bad but is so stubborn that instead of reverting, he keeps messing with it to try to prove he's been right all along. "The fans will like it now! They must! More rocks around R2D2 guys, we're not gonna f*** it up this time!!"

Him finally releasing the original trilogy under fan demand was something. But making sure they weren't anamorphic was something else entirely. That seemed downright hostile and was like the ultimate "screw you" to fans. Well, until him dubbing in more Vader "noooooo's," that is.

Erigu

ryutaro's mama said:
No, you really can't.
Anakin never looked like that old man in robes. Sooo... is that how he envisioned himself? Somehow, I find it easier to imagine him remembering how he looked like before he turned into Vader than him going "hey, that probably is what I'd look like at the age of my death had I not been burnt to a crisp!"

[Note for the idiots out there: I'm merely defending the idea for that one scene. That doesn't make me a "change apologist" or whatever.]

apana

Erigu said:
Anakin never looked like that old man in robes. Sooo... is that how he envisioned himself? Somehow, I find it easier to imagine him remembering how he looked like before he turned into Vader than him going "hey, that probably is what I'd look like at the age of my death had I not been burnt to a crisp!"

[Note for the idiots out there: I'm merely defending the idea for that one scene. That doesn't make me a "change apologist" or whatever.]

That was kind of a special scene, there is no reason to go fucking around with it. For that matter maybe we should add Qui-Gon to that scene. Isn't he the one who taught them how to retain their identity in the force?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I don't know why Lucas does this. No one is asking for this. It's like he is trying to find acceptance or something. Like he thinks he's making the movies better every time or something.

Is Han Solo breaking out of a Xenomorph cocoon?

Ether_Snake said:
I don't know why Lucas does this. No one is asking for this. It's like he is trying to find acceptance or something. Like he thinks he's making the movies better every time or something.

I refuse to believe things like Vader "No!" are still part of his "original vision." At this point this has to be like a one-dollar drunk bet he lost... or won...

I think the thing that bothers me the most about the changes is that there are so many other glaring mistakes and errors that would benefit from fixes, but he ignores them.

It is also funny how much the price of the two disc dvd sets have shot up this past week. The ones that include the LD rips are going for insane prices now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom