• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GI: Disney Infinity 3.0 (Avalanche/Ninja Theory/Sumo/Gobo/United Front, Star Wars)

fernoca

Is that usually sold at a big discount?

Cause it's going to need to be like $30 to offset the cost of buying a playset separately.
Digital was $20 with 2.0 and people that got it early also got two power discs.

Hopefully, this will be similar. Just to get the original SW characters and Mickey.

Sucks that they never followed their plans of DLC and updates, instead everything is separate.

CuteSpaceGoblin

Neo Member
Picked up 2.0 Starter Set cheap second hand to play with my 8yo son. Enjoying it more than 1.0, mainly due to the Marvel characters and his unending enthusiasm for smashing frost giants. I haven't enjoyed it as much as Skylanders Swap Force or Trap Team but 2.0 is definitely fun for us to play together. Looking at picking up the Spidey & Guardians sets whilst they're cheap at the mo for the summer.

Skylanders <next> will be a no brainer purchase. DI 3.0 baseless set, Rise Against the Empire plates + Han & Chewie also a virtual no brainer for us both. Lego Dimensions yet to prove itself, although Travellers Tales do have Lego Star Wars, Marvel and Lego City Undercover as pretty major ticks in their favour.

Could be an expensive but fun year for our father/son gaming. Just need a sequel to Alien Isolation to scratch the older gaming itch and my year will be complete.

Rootbeer

Banned
at 64.99... they should just bite the bullet and make it 59.99... same price as every other game on the shelf. people will see the price, see it comes with two toys and instantly see the value proposition. Could help it reach big numbers.

- Star Wars: The Clone Wars
- Star Wars: The Original Trilogy
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens
- Inside Out
- Avengers: Age of Ultron
- Mystery Disney Playset

I'm pretty sure we're getting another Star Wars playset as well, though if it's Force Awakens or Rebels remains to be seen.

Where did you read about this "mistery Disney playset"? The Disney figures have been leaked, and there is no sign of anything besides Inside Out to be a playset.

Jawmuncher

at 64.99... they should just bite the bullet and make it 59.99... same price as every other game on the shelf. people will see the price, see it comes with two toys and instantly see the value proposition. Could help it reach big numbers.

Was thinking the same thing as well.

deadlast

My kids got bored really quickly with 2.0, even with Marvel. Hopefully 3.0 will offer the gameplay improvements they're talking about and make the game more fun.

should have bought them Trap Team

My kids are the same. Trap team was more fun for them, even though 2.0 had avengers.I really don't like the DI games. I may pick up 3.0, if I can get it for 30 or less.

Metalmarc

May as well cancel the vita 2.0 version at this point and just release 3.0 on there

Though it would probably take so long so port 4.0 would be out by then

curb

Banned
It seems a little silly to me to plan the Vita version for May but announce the successor before that. I'm still interested in seeing how the Vita version turns out though.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
My kids are the same. Trap team was more fun for them, even though 2.0 had avengers.I really don't like the DI games. I may pick up 3.0, if I can get it for 30 or less.

My kids got bored really quickly with 2.0, even with Marvel. Hopefully 3.0 will offer the gameplay improvements they're talking about and make the game more fun.

should have bought them Trap Team

Yeah I think they understand there's a fundamental quality problem with the game versus their competitors which is why they're trying to brute force it up to snuff by seemingly farming everything out to more experienced studios.

They have to nail this year since they won't really have another IP launch this big and LEGO Dimensions jumps in the fray as well. Otherwise they have to dig out of a pit on word of mouth which can be hard given the amount of investment and competitors.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
My kids like it, but they like Toy Box in the same way they like creative mode in Minecraft. They just like to build shit.

//ARCANUM

Anyone know why only PS3 and PS4 pre-orders are up on Amazon. This IS coming to more platforms than that.... right?

ctfg23

Anyone know why only PS3 and PS4 pre-orders are up on Amazon. This IS coming to more platforms than that.... right?

It's coming to XB1/360/Wii U as well. Not sure why those aren't on Amazon yet. GameStop and Best Buy have pre-orders available on all 5 platforms.

I just hope the Disney Magic shows up this time, as it didn't in the first 2.
Mulan is in...
All the magic it needs.

On Marvel's side Antman and
314px-Wasp.png

Need to be in.

Gameboy415

1430851156-announce-tron.png

Sam Flynn and Quorra figures (TRON)

These look fantastic! :D

Also, it's not live yet, but it looks like Best Buy might be including a $10 RW Cert with pre-orders!
I didn't actually place an order yet but I added the PS4 starter pack to my cart (to confirm GCU works on it) and it added this as a free bonus:

"Disney Interactive Studios - Disney Infinity 3.0 Pre-Order Bonus - White"

Not sure what it could be though as there's no mention of it on the product page yet:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/disney-...on-4/6895036.p?id=1219667168588&skuId=6895036

So the 3.0 Starter Pack for $51.99 after GCU, plus a bonus $10 RW cert, plus some kind of pre-order bonus?

Yep, I'm definitely going with Best Buy for this one! :)

J-Skee

It just occurred to me that I would buy the shit out of an Ahsoka Tano figure. Also, if they make the movie Scarlet Witch figure, they can have all my money.

ZeroX03

Banned
Star Wars, Tron, more Marvel, Ninja Theory, Sumo Digital and United Front. This game sounds fucking amazing. Wasn't gameplay the biggest issue in the past two games? And they've brought in some really damn talented studios to fix it up.

I'm very excited for this! Hope the 2.0 -> 3.0 upgrade doesn't cost too much (Australian here), and the 2.0 baseplate works with 3.0 content (with 3.0 playsets being sold separately.)

Vestal

Gold Member
Star Wars, Tron, more Marvel, Ninja Theory, Sumo Digital and United Front. This game sounds fucking amazing. Wasn't gameplay the biggest issue in the past two games? And they've brought in some really damn talented studios to fix it up.

The frame rate was fucking horrible at times.

mreddie

The only notable playsets worth playing was the Avengers and Guardians one, Spidey Playset was a paste job.

I know it's an impossible dream, but every time I see anything Infinity-related I'm bummed that characters can't be played in other playsets. As time goes on and Disney osmotizes more IPs it's gone from "would be cool" to "ultimate crossover ever".

mreddie

I know it's an impossible dream, but every time I see anything Infinity-related I'm bummed that characters can't be played in other playsets. As time goes on and Disney osmotizes more IPs it's gone from "would be cool" to "ultimate crossover ever".

One answer why it likely won't happen...Disney.

I need to see some major toy box changes before I jump on again. We have a ton of figures that only work in toy box and it gets old fast.

2.0 needed way more playsets or compatability with 1.0 playsets .

One answer why it likely won't happen...Disney.

Yeah, Disney is very restricted about mixing its IPs. But to be fair, many of the playsets are so tailored to its characters that mixing them would not work. I.e. the Cars playset only makes sense for cars, and the cars cannot be used in other playsets, since they cannot jump.

Of course that may be intentional and nothing would stop them of making a Skylanders type main quest that could be played by all characters (which specific branches only accessible by certain characters). But yeah, Disney.

One of the main complains is that playset don´t carry over the new versions. I understand that from version 1.0 to 2.0 there was the generation gap, but an effort could be made to make them playable. You could have mixed some properties, like allowing the Avengers to fight Syndrome in the Incredibles playset (or the opposite). That would be cool and extend the title playability.

About the new price: it is expensive. Version 1 included 3 figures and 3 playsets. Version 2 droped to 1 playset plus 3 figures, but included 2 mini-game discs that now will be sold separately in Version 3 (for like $20 more). So you are getting one less figure ($ 13) and two less discs ($20) and the game price only lowered $10.

But of course I will buy it. Mainly for the figures, not the game. Actually I believe unless the new version amazes me, I will drop Skylanders. I being buying both games with all figures, which is very expensive in the case of Skylanders. And Trap Team was a disappointment after the good Swap Force, and the game was developed by its main team. I am not sold on the Lego Dimensions yet, and hopefully will not be.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I don't want to link because I think there might be scans, but some info is out from the GI feature. Blatant copypasta:

On the Twilight of the Republic play set (sounds fucking awesome):
The playset starts with you traveling to Geonosis to investigate a growing droid army. There you battle your way through a set of levels and corridors to face off against B1 Battle Droids and IG-100 MagnaGuards. Eventually you get some one on one time with General Grievous and while he gets away you still manage to capture a droid who knows too much.

You return to the Jedi counsel but are quickly sent off to Tatooine to investigate the droids previous owner &#8211; Jabba The Hutt. On Tatooine you get to play around in a nice expansive world including fun with pod racing and making the Sarlacc puke.

There is a fun new type of game play similar to Pirates where you travel space going from Planet to Planet, each with its own set of unique and new enemies. The space travel also allows for landing on random small planets or moons that while not part of the story, offer their own interesting challenges.

On replayability:
Missions can be replayed after completed.
Replaying missions come with new secondary challenges.
Crossover Coins are returning, but in new form, allowing for more figure / Playset sharing in Star Wars Playsets.
Each character is going to have a crossover ability in every Playset Story Mode.

Looking more closely at the 3.0 Star Wars playsets its revealed that the focus is going to be more on toys and playing with them in the playsets. Both Twilight of the Republic and Rise Against the Empire will feature large expansive planet worlds to be explored, including Tatooine in both time lines. They plan to try and get away from the Marvel Playset mistake of very similar settings, Avengers & Spiderman both taking place in Manhattan, while one Playset will allow you to explore the expansive Tatooine, the other will focus you within one location on Tatooine (but still provide plenty to explore).

On the Rise Against The Empire playset:
The original Trilogy Playset, Rise Against the Empire, features iconic space battles including the destruction of the Death Star. From the writers description the areas and textures are full of fantastic detail that kept him plenty occupied while playing. Other locations include the battle on Hoth, were the Disney Interactive team has mastered the walking gigantic AT-ATs.

On Toybox farming:
They discuss the new toybox farming feature in depth, dropping hints on how farming along side your favorite characters will help build their stats and level them up in new ways, and allow for you to begin to develop a small farming village inside a toy box where the mundane play style of something akin to Farmville quickly turns into the wacky insanity of Disney&#8217;s IP taking over as crops start growing into Mickey Pops or Pumba Grubs. Ultimately they want to add an entire functionality to the game where a player could have a similar experience to games like Animal Crossing.

Toy Box Take Over:
The new Toy Box game mode, Toy Box Take Over features Syndrome stealing the Toy Box wand and creating mashup worlds within mashup worlds where enemies from all the franchises come at you. Luckily your side kicks are all juiced up from farming and eating their favorite crops, so together you can beat down the bad guys and earn special rewards, giant set pieces, like the Trash Compactor from Star Wars, and additional unique side kicks.

Sounds like they're hitting pretty much all the biggest complaints from 2.0.

They'd need to improve things significantly to get me back on board. Playsets that are at least almost as good as "real" games is the biggest thing that needs to happen, and the Toy Box also really has to go full on LBP for it to be at all worthwhile.

I'd love to get some Star Wars Infinity figures, but I'm not doing so unless there is something fun to do with them.

Neoxon

I don't want to link because I think there might be scans, but some info is out from the GI feature. Blatant copypasta:

On the Twilight of the Republic play set (sounds fucking awesome):

On replayability:

On the Rise Against The Empire playset:

On Toybox farming:

Toy Box Take Over:

Sounds like they're hitting pretty much all the biggest complaints from 2.0.
Looks like they're taking all the 2.0 complaints seriously. Hopefully it turns out good.

I'm a sucker for Star Wars, so I'm in mainly for the figures alone but only when I can get them at sale prices. I just beat the 2.0 Avengers playset, I see and understand the complaints about it though it maintained my interest long enough to finish it. I suppose being caught in the current Marvel craze allowed me to overcome its limitations, and enjoy it on a simplistic level the same way I do Lego games( though those for the most part are better). But Star Wars? Can't pass that up....

Maximo

I have completely Ignored Disney Infinity up until now, still don't want the game but man some of the figurines are really cool.

VexyWexy

On Toybox farming:

They discuss the new toybox farming feature in depth, dropping hints on how farming along side your favorite characters will help build their stats and level them up in new ways, and allow for you to begin to develop a small farming village inside a toy box where the mundane play style of something akin to Farmville quickly turns into the wacky insanity of Disney’s IP taking over as crops start growing into Mickey Pops or Pumba Grubs. Ultimately they want to add an entire functionality to the game where a player could have a similar experience to games like Animal Crossing.

Oh no, I was going to skip the game and just buy figures but they've roped me back in. Dammit.

Top Bottom