• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GI: Disney Infinity 3.0 (Avalanche/Ninja Theory/Sumo/Gobo/United Front, Star Wars)

For anyone that's read the game informer stuff, I see that they're promising bigger more expansive worlds to explore in the course of the story, but did they address actually populating those expansive areas with more to do? I think my boy ran out of steam on Disney Infinity 2 so quick because there was virtually nothing to do in New York, whereas he still goes back to Lego Mervel regularly, because there's so many characters to hunt out and little things & places to interact with. Disney Infinity's open world seemed very very empty (although I never extensively played it myself, this is just what I observed). Exploring Tattooine is cool but if its just big empty areas with no puzzles or little quests, I'm not sure it'll make enough of a difference.

CamHostage

May as well cancel the vita 2.0 version at this point and just release 3.0 on there

You would think that would make sense... but nope, instead, they are stealth-releasing it the Saturday after a sequel is announced for everything but lucky ol' Vita.

http://www.gamestop.com/ps-vita/gam...dition-starter-pack-gamestop-exclusive/121302

81XooDZBorL._SL1500_.jpg
(A few weeks later for the UK, May 22: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00UJGT826/)

Could be worse, at least 3DS doesn't have to suffer pretending to have a new Disney Infinity game and instead get that bogus DI Toy Box Challenge minigame trifle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbFnykNSljE

RobbieNick

3 Star Wars sets, 1 new Marvel set (Age of Ultron), 1 new Disney sets (Inside Out), more crossover coins, Ninja Theory doing the Clone Wars, Sumo Digital (Sonic All Stars Racing series) reworking the kart racing for toy box with the Clone Wars starter pack at new lower price of $65?! I'm in.

I guess they realized giving people 1 less figure and two less playsets than the original for the same price was a bad idea. However, I'm really shocked that there is ZERO news of Star Wars Rebels being a playset or having any figures done.I mean, Clone Wars is cool, but there's been a million games done of that franchise and the series is two years past cancelled. I guess it's a way of having the prequel trilogy in without reminding people of the awfulness of those films.

They still need to let ALL figures cross over into each game to make players really happy. Outside of Cars, I don't understand why they can't.

Pirates was my favorite of the old playsets so I look forward to seeing what that team does with the original trilogy.

I don't want to link because I think there might be scans, but some info is out from the GI feature. Blatant copypasta:

On Toybox farming:

Oh man. This Toybox farming sounds amazing. Taking a page from Disney Magical World, which is a very very good thing for them to do.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I was disappointed by many aspects of DI (both 1 and 2), probably because I'm not interested in the Toy box aspect but just in the adventure/playset part. that's the reason why I vastly prefer Skylander. Btw they at least imrpoved a little the figures usability across the playsets in the 2.0 version, and I think that here at least we'll be able to use all the Star wars figures in all the three SW playsets.
I'll probably buy the Wii U starter pack, and maybe one of the 2 SW playsets, if the actual gameplay (combat + platforming) will be really improved over the Avengers 2.0

fernoca

3 Star Wars sets, 1 new Marvel set (Age of Ultron), 1 new Disney sets (Inside Out), more crossover coins, Ninja Theory doing the Clone Wars, Sumo Digital (Sonic All Stars Racing series) reworking the kart racing for toy box, all at a new lower price of $65?! I'm in.
???
For $65, you only get the 1 SW set done by Ninja Theory and the 2 Clone Wars figures. :p

Was Disney Infinity 2.0 made by the same team as 1.0?
Yep along Ninja Theory.
For 3.0, it seems each studio is doing a different playset or tweaking aspects, while the main one focuses on the Toy Box and the overall engine..or something. Same core team, but now with other teams.

RobbieNick

???
For $65, you only get the 1 SW set done by Ninja Theory and the 2 Clone Wars figures. :p

Yep along Ninja Theory.
For 3.0, it seems each studio is doing a different playset or tweaking aspects, while the main one focuses on the Toy Box and the overall engine..or something. Same core team, but now with other teams.

Gah! I knew that, but put it wrong. Sorry.

curb

Banned
I don't want to link because I think there might be scans, but some info is out from the GI feature. Blatant copypasta:

On the Twilight of the Republic play set (sounds fucking awesome):

Agreed. It sounds very promising.

Now that Uncharted is pushed back, I would have never expected that Disney Infinity and Lego Avengers would be the two games I cared the most about for the fall
(yes, I know E3 is coming)

Neoxon

3 Star Wars sets, 1 new Marvel set (Age of Ultron), 1 new Disney sets (Inside Out), more crossover coins, Ninja Theory doing the Clone Wars, Sumo Digital (Sonic All Stars Racing series) reworking the kart racing for toy box with the Clone Wars starter pack at new lower price of $65?! I'm in.

I guess they realized giving people 1 less figure and two less playsets than the original for the same price was a bad idea. However, I'm really shocked that there is ZERO news of Star Wars Rebels being a playset or having any figures done.I mean, Clone Wars is cool, but there's been a million games done of that franchise and the series is two years past cancelled. I guess it's a way of having the prequel trilogy in without reminding people of the awfulness of those films.

They still need to let ALL figures cross over into each game to make players really happy. Outside of Cars, I don't understand why they can't.

Pirates was my favorite of the old playsets so I look forward to seeing what that team does with the original trilogy.
All the Star Wars characters can be played in any Star Wars playset. But Disney & Marvel can be a bit anal when it comes to their IPs crossing into each other's worlds.

All the Star Wars characters can be played in any Star Wars playset. But Disney & Marvel can be a bit anal when it comes to their IPs crossing into each other's worlds.

Disney, okay, I guess I understand. But Marvel? They do crossover stuff all the time. That's a defining feature of comic books, the characters inhabit the same world.

I think the real reason they were restrictive with Marvel characters crossing over into different playsets in 2.0 was that they wanted to sell more figures. If all the Avengers worked in the Spidey and GOTG playsets, little Johnny would probably have a hard time selling Mom on why he needs Venom and Groot.

Disney, okay, I guess I understand. But Marvel? They do crossover stuff all the time. That's a defining feature of comic books, the characters inhabit the same world.

I think the real reason they were restrictive with Marvel characters crossing over into different playsets in 2.0 was that they wanted to sell more figures. If all the Avengers worked in the Spidey and GOTG playsets, little Johnny would probably have a hard time selling Mom on why he needs Venom and Groot.

One of the more glaring crossover oddities was Nick Fury . Now, Im not a comic buff but at least in the movies, he's clearly tied to the Avengers and plays a part in their playset. Why he's a crossover character for Spidey I'm not sure, then again Spidey not being a crossover for Avengers is a bit odd too.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

One of the more glaring crossover oddities was Nick Fury . Now, Im not a comic buff but at least in the movies, he's clearly tied to the Avengers and plays a part in their playset. Why he's a crossover character for Spidey I'm not sure, then again Spidey not being a crossover for Avengers is a bit odd too.
I think the real reason that brings a lot of these points together is that they had some significant difficulty making enough content. I mean, if they could, they'd go all out with the crossovers and justify everything, right? It's not like kids aren't aware that thiese characters intermingle beyond their wildest dreams, they all can read Wikipedia. Limiting it to 2 per set cuts down the amount of work there is to do. Just another corner cut in 2.0.

I think the real reason that brings a lot of these points together is that they had some significant difficulty making enough content. I mean, if they could, they'd go all out with the crossovers and justify everything, right? It's not like kids aren't aware that thiese characters intermingle beyond their wildest dreams, they all can read Wikipedia. Limiting it to 2 per set cuts down the amount of work there is to do. Just another corner cut in 2.0.

I suppose but again, Fury actually appears in the Avengers set as a NPC, but is a crossover for the spidey set which is very similar. Then you've got Hulk as a spidey crossover, but not Spidey as an Avengers cross, given the set similarities its a bit odd. I dont pretend to be in the know but I cant imagine it would require extensive tweaking.

Because Nick Fury IS part of the Spidey playset, which is based on the Ultimate Spider-man animated series (which is based on the Ultimate Spider-man comics) where Nick Fury has a strong presence, monitoring Spidey activity and acting like a sort of tutor.

I guess it is because all Star Wars characters a kind similar. All are humanoids which can either use pistols or lightsabers. Thus is easy to swap characters in a playset. Now if you try a different character, like one that flies, in a playset that none flies you will start to introduce a lot more of programming and testing of the game.

It may be one of the reasons that we do not see much crossover in the playsets (in case of Avenges/Spidey I guess it is because the playsets are so similar that they did not dare to further display it). Of course, they could have avoid that trap if they have made a big adventure that any character can play instead of smaller playsets (much like Skylanders), but then Disney restrictions may have take place.

The starter pack should have been the Luke, Leia playset.

Luke and Leia would sell better I guess, so they will move better a separated playset. The weaker Star Wars set is on the starter pack, as most people will buy to get the game anyway.

curb

Banned
The starter pack should have been the Luke, Leia playset.

I don't think so, considering the target age bracket. If you think about 6-10 year olds, Clone Wars is likely their first Star Wars experience. I think this is Disney knowing their audience.

Given the cartoons, Nick Fury is more prominent in Ultimate Spider-Man, which the SM playset was based more off of. What is more concerning is that we didn't get that whole team, just Spidey, Nova and Iron Fist. No Luke Cage or White Tiger.

But then, we got Falcon and Captain Marvel as coins but Falcon got his own figure, so it's looking pretty clear they don't want any female characters in the sets other than the ones from the movies (Widow and Gamora) even though they have models and voices for Captain Marvel, Wasp and White Tiger.

Because Nick Fury IS part of the Spidey playset, which is based on the Ultimate Spider-man animated series (which is based on the Ultimate Spider-man comics) where Nick Fury has a strong presence

I see, so it would be accurate to say that the crossovers are based more on cartoon/comic storylines and not the ongoing MCU film continuity...?

I don't think so, considering the target age bracket. If you think about 6-10 year olds, Clone Wars is likely their first Star Wars experience. I think this is Disney knowing their audience.

Yep, for the target audience Star Wars means anakin, mace, jar jar and obiwan, not Luke, Han, Leia etc etc...

curb

Banned
Yep, for the target audience Star Wars means anakin, mace, jar jar and obiwan, not Luke, Han, Leia etc etc...

...and Ahsoka. I don't think people realize how popular characters like her and Rex from Clone Wars are with kids.

I think that anyone here on GAF that is now excited for Infinity because of Star Wars will likely be disappointed. The game is aimed at kids first and foremost - from the simple gameplay to the physical toy focus/theme.

I see, so it would be accurate to say that the crossovers are based more on cartoon/comic storylines and not the ongoing MCU film continuity...?

Both Avengers and Spidy playsets are based on their cartoon/animated series, not from MCU movies. Granted the Marvel Avengers cartoon is based on the movie, but the playset has strong ties to the cartoon, in asthetics and with the presence of Falcon, the cartoon Avengers trainee.

Yes, I also dislike how they are not providing full list of characters from each show, expect from the movie blockbusters. White Tiger and Luke Cage from Spider-man show and the rest of the cast of Big Hero 6.

Both Avengers and Spidy playsets are based on their cartoon/animated series, not from MCU movies. Granted the Marvel Avengers cartoon is based on the movie, but the playset has strong ties to the cartoon, in asthetics and with the presence of Falcon, the cartoon Avengers trainee.

Yes, I also dislike how they are not providing full list of characters from each show, expect from the movie blockbusters. White Tiger and Luke Cage from Spider-man show and the rest of the cast of Big Hero 6.

Cool thanks for the info, that makes more sense now.

Neoxon

Given the cartoons, Nick Fury is more prominent in Ultimate Spider-Man, which the SM playset was based more off of. What is more concerning is that we didn't get that whole team, just Spidey, Kid Nova and Iron Fist. No Luke Cage or White Tiger.

But then, we got Falcon and Captain Marvel as coins but Falcon got his own figure, so it's looking pretty clear they don't want any female characters in the sets other than the ones from the movies (Widow and Gamora) even though they have models and voices for Captain Marvel, Wasp and White Tiger.
Captain Marvel may be saved for 2018 when her movie comes out.

Gorki247

Figures from 1.0 and 2.0 work on the 3.0 Toy Box only.

1.0 playsets need 1.0 game, 2.0 playsets need 2.0 game.

That may change slightly with 3.0 though as there will be an Avengers playset, so it's safe to assume the 2.0 Avengers will work in that as well.

fernoca

That may change slightly with 3.0 though as there will be an Avengers playset, so it's safe to assume the 2.0 Avengers will work in that as well.
That too. One can hope at least.

Sam and Quorra (from Tron) might be. They were originally supposed to be in 2.0 and have statues of them in the hall of heroes or whatever it's called. They are in the mobile version of 2.0 as well.
And on PC. But consoles never got the updates with the data. Figures look cool at least.

Neoxon

I'm calling it right now, Quicksilver & Scarlet Witch will be the pack-ins for the new Marvel play set. It only makes sense since the two are twins & the play set itself is apparently based on Avengers: Age of Ultron.

They should give us at least 2 Marvel and 2 Disney play sets allowing us to use respective characters from 1.0 and 2.0 in those play sets.

curb

Banned
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO NOT 2018!

I think that's just speculation on Neoxon's part. I don't think there's any hard information about if or when a Captain Marvel will come. I think the chances are good though - Marvel needs to keep sowing those seeds in advance of her showing up in the MCU.

Neoxon

I think that's just speculation on Neoxon's part. I don't think there's any hard information about if or when a Captain Marvel will come. I think the chances are good though - Marvel needs to keep sowing those seeds in advance of her showing up in the MCU.
It is just speculation on my part. If she's gonna be in Civil War, we may get her earlier.

They should give us at least 2 Marvel and 2 Disney play sets allowing us to use respective characters from 1.0 and 2.0 in those play sets.
To be fair, there aren't a lot of options for Marvel play sets left. The X-Men & Fantastic Four are off-limits, & Ant-Man isn't exactly big enough for a play set.

curb

Banned
It is just speculation on my part. If she's gonna be in Civil War, we may get her earlier.

She may end up in the game earlier regardless just because the character has popularity on her own too. I don't think every DI Marvel characters absolutely has to be tied to the MCU. We already have kid Nova and Iron Fist.

Neoxon

She may end up in the game earlier regardless just because the character has popularity on her own too. I don't think every DI Marvel characters absolutely has to be tied to the MCU. We already have kid Nova and Iron Fist.
Iron Fist is gonna be in the MCU via Netflix, but you have a point with Kid Nova.

I like that figure for the girl(the one with 2 sabers) she looks cool.

May as well cancel the vita 2.0 version at this point and just release 3.0 on there

Though it would probably take so long so port 4.0 would be out by then

they did the same thing with boderlands. we got borderlands 2 about the time they announced the pre sequel. its like why didn't we just get the new one instead?

curb

Banned
Iron Fist is gonna be in the MCU via Netflix, but you have a point with Kid Nova.

True but I think Iron Fist is in 2.0 because he's in the current Spider-Man cartoon which the playset is tied to and not due to the pending Netflix series.

mreddie

I think there's a good chance for Vision soon. Ant-Man certainly seems like a possibility at some point too.

I just hope all can be on the Ultron set. Also, DI needs to step up since LEGO Dimensions is fixing the shared universe thing.

Top Bottom