• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant bomb "dot com" official thread 12 - anime + waluigi discussion webzone

Status
Not open for further replies.
if you do it on a per-video basis, I think you have to submit each one for approval first. and then on top of that, they only seem to pay via Paypal, which I suspect might be a bit weird to deal with in regards to CBSi

It seems like you can register individual videos, yeah. But that it "can regularly take up to three business days for your registered content to be reviewed and finalized" will at least ensure that the video goes up a couple of days late on YT.

But since GB doesn't have any YT ads, does this apply to their channel? I don't see anything indicating that it won't.

I see. Has Giant Bomb ever been hit with a Content ID claim from Nintendo?

Wait, they don't have Youtube ads? So what's the issue if they're not losing any revenue? Is there a fear that Nintendo will take down their videos if they trigger Content ID? Nintendo that provides them review games knowing full well what Giant Bomb's coverage entails?

People acting like that’s me saying that means we won’t cover Nintendo should understand that we have a website where we host our own video

It just means you’d need to come to us to see Nintendo videos, since YT feels like an increasingly hostile environment for game coverage.

...of course that's the leap of logic people would take.

are there really that many people that don't realize they have their own website?

Myggen

I see. Has Giant Bomb ever been hit with a Content ID claim from Nintendo?

Wait, they don't have Youtube ads? So what's the issue if they're not losing any revenue? Is there a fear that Nintendo will take down their videos if they trigger Content ID? Nintendo that provides them review games knowing full well what Giant Bomb's coverage entails?

They don't have ads on YT because that would go against the "everything non-premium is ad-free" mantra, if you watch their shit on YT. And yeah, I can't find anything on whether this applies to channels that don't monetize their videos. But I have to guess that the other side of this is that Nintendo will hit everything they can find that isn't in their "creator system" with a Content ID claim, or at least that that's the fear.

Microsoft's new confusing guidelines on YT videos are only for monetized videos IIRC, but they specify that it is.

...of course that's the leap of logic people would take.

are there really that many people that don't realize they have their own website?

I would assume that everyone following Jeff on Twitter knows that GB has a website, people just like to jump to the most extreme conclusions.

Spend a few years having people nitpick everything you say in an effort to get one over on you and see how much chillaging you feel like doing!

Dunno if this implied that I was one of those people, but I honestly wasn't trying to 'get one over on you'. Nothing to be gained there. I just want surly Brad to go back to #teambrad happy Brad!

Anyway, the the era Paul Ryckert begins either today or tomorrow. I suspect no one can truly prepare for something like this.

They don't have ads on YT because that would go against the "everything non-premium is ad-free" mantra, if you watch their shit on YT. And yeah, I can't find anything on whether this applies to channels that don't monetize their videos. But I have to guess that the other side of this is that Nintendo will hit everything they can find that isn't in their "creator system" with a Content ID claim, or at least that that's the fear.

Microsoft's new confusing guidelines on YT videos are only for monetized videos IIRC, but they specify that it is.

I would assume that everyone following Jeff on Twitter knows that GB has a website, people just like to jump to the most extreme conclusions.

Content ID would have to detect it first, and even if a video is triggered, I find it hard to believe that Nintendo would choose to block a GB quicklook after having provided GB with the game in the first place.

i wish there was some way to dolphinize that wii u MPT >_>

you could just dolphinize the wii MPT

it's the exact same thing

well, one is 10 bucks right now and the other is 50+

MPT (and the MP 1 & 2: gamecube editions) all run like sloppy ass on even the latest version of Dolphin. Check out the notes for MP2, for example:

Performance

Performance in general seems reduced compared to the game's GameCube counterpart. This may be related to the higher resolution textures and various new screen effects added for the Trilogy versions.
Shader Generation Stuttering and the Black Bar

This game suffers from severe stuttering during shader generation. Because of the differences between how the Wii works compared to personal computers, whenever something uses the Wii's GPU, Dolphin must generate a shader to emulate it on a PC GPU. Shader generation causes a slight emulation delay while it's being created, so Dolphin caches these shaders in its shadercache folder to help keep things smooth. Most games don't care about this and play fine, but with all of the games in Metroid Prime Trilogy, the shaders are so massive that they cause a significant delay, which creates a hard stutter and desyncs the GPU and CPU threads. The game freaks out over this desync, creating a black bar at the bottom of the screen, which takes up 15% of the screen space and "squishes" the game in the remaining space. The black bar will remain there from then on whether stuttering continues or ceases. Going into new areas or showing new effects will cause the stutter and black bar, as well as going in and out of fullscreen and even taking a screenshot. Building up a shadercache of an area helps, but it will still stutter and desync if a new effect or region is loaded.

There is no solution at this time. Playing with Dual Core disabled or using Sync GPU Thread is the only solution currently available, and both result in a significant performance hit on one of Dolphin's most demanding games.

so this is pretty much the cheapest and best means of playing the 3 games. if it ran better on dolphin i wouldn't bother but it's no bueno on there and i don't want to find wherever the hell my NGC copies of the first 2 games are

Myggen

Yo do you people get signed out of GB.com all the time as well? I remember a time when it kept me logged in.

Hasn't happened to me in months, actually.

Content ID would have to detect it first, and even if a video is triggered, I find it hard to believe that Nintendo would choose to block a GB quicklook after having provided GB with the game in the first place.

I wouldn't think that it would be too difficult to detect the videos with Nintendo content if they wanted to. And yeah, a site like GB might be excepted, but I think the problem right now is that there's no obvious exceptions to the program the way they describe it. We'll probably get some of this cleared up when people start to use the program.

edit:

2721084-wee2.gif

MPT (and the MP 1 & 2: gamecube editions) all run like sloppy ass on even the latest version of Dolphin. Check out the notes for MP2, for example:

so this is pretty much the cheapest and best means of playing the 3 games. if it ran better on dolphin i wouldn't bother but it's no bueno on there and i don't want to find wherever the hell my NGC copies of the first 2 games are

Did they ever fix that problem where MP3 had fucked up lighting (or it would like disappear or something) and one quarter of the screen would still be in SD resolution for some weird ass reason.

maybe just fuck youtube I don't know???

That's actually a really good point. We wouldn't be in this situation if the Content ID system didn't exist. And there's actually no reason for it to exist, legally. Section 512(c) of the DMCA specifically provides a safe harbor from secondary copyright infringement claims for websites like YouTube. YouTube merely needs to remove the specific content that a copyright holder identifies as infringing. As in the copyright holder needs to provide a URL, not just a list of things they've seen and YouTube needs to go find it. Appeals courts in the 2nd and 9th circuit have ruled as such: the DMCA says that sites like YouTube do not need to actively monitor their services for copyright infringement.

And yet, Content ID. Thanks, Google. Don't be evil, I guess.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Yeah, either I'm so obsessed with being right at all costs that I'll make up whatever bullshit along the way, or... I was trying to respect the audience's intelligence enough not to spell out that I wasn't comparing the N64 to the Jaguar or the fucking Virtual Boy. Christ.

For what it's worth I think you were right about that generation, the machines AND input devices were not good enough for the 3d games being produced (with a handful of exceptions). However I think this is the fault of developers and platform holders who tried to force 3d over 2d ahead of the technology rather than the machines themselves being crappy.

Really loving the MPP3 so far. It is a brilliant pit of despair.

Call me crazy, but the Wii is a worse console than the N64. But it's tight.

The Wii has a fair amount of good games, and yes it has Galaxy and Galaxy 2 which really help. But then... eh. I feel like those consoles are sort of evenly matched, but the Wii has a lot of awkwardness going against it too.

Megasoum

Banned
I had no idea that Patrick Klepek went over to Kotaku until I visited the site today because of the Metroid story from this thread:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=649215

Speaking of...

Patrick Klepek
‏@patrickklepek
What are some of the best/worst nick names you’ve seen some eSports players go by?

#Kotaku

Yo do you people get signed out of GB.com all the time as well? I remember a time when it kept me logged in.

No problem for me on GB but I haven't been able to stay connected on Tested for years (well probably since the last redesign)... It just won't set a cookie properly for some reason.

FStop7

Banned
Hearthstone tops 75 million players. Suck it, haters.

The insider says Hearthstone numbers “are off the charts.” The next expansion is due to come out soon and will be more PvE focused. The team is also experimenting with a 2 vs. 2 version. Stunningly Hearthstone has more than tripled the last publicly released players number of more than 20 million.

I tried to play Hearthstone for the first time on an airplane with no wifi and the game wouldn't even get past the start screen.

I guess hearthstone's online only or some shit?

Tan

Jason, you (didn't) promise us a Freedom Wars QL! It's Playstation TV compatible!

He did a stream of it on his personal channel, if that's any consolation.

---

So was Nintendo actually taking the advertising proceeds that youtube channels were getting for the nintendo game videos? Was Giantbomb affected too? Or was it just not being enforced

FStop7

Banned
I love Dan as an addition to Giantbomb.

However, one thing about him has me wondering. During the latest Bombcast he talked about the bottle of whiskey he got from a fan, and then Drew said "Hey, I noticed it was half gone at the panel, who was drinking that?" and Dan basically says that he drank most of it to loosen up for the panel.

That seems crazy to me. Am I just a boring old lightweight or is that not an insane amount of whisky to drink? He goes on to say that after the panel he was even drunker, and concludes by saying he was told about a lot of interesting things he did that night, intimating that he was basically blackout drunk.

I'm not saying drinking is bad, but that seems like a really worrisome level of drinking. Is it just me?

Nah, that got an eyebrow raise out of me, too.

Nintendo rabids make Driveclub rabids look quite normal.

*Sigh*

I think they need to retire the Mario Party Party. I still have an hour and a half to go, but Dan's the only one who's actually having fun or reacting any more. Drew is quiet, Brad is obnoxious at times, and Jeff actively hates the game and loves to remind us of it. It was funny for two episodes, but I think the magic is gone.

kershner

Banned
Jesus MPP3 was depressing, I thought. Grumpy old men for 4 hours. Not even an entertaining kind of trash-talk or shitting on the game or whatever, just seemed like a couple of grumps waiting to clock out. Kind of a waste of the premise if you ask me.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder

I don't get signed out or prevented from watching videos, but I have to log out and log back in every single time I want to see something that isn't a chat error for a live show.

edit: Holy shit, Nintendo wants 70% of ad revenue? Fuck you so hard Nintendo, way to make me regret supporting your company and buying a Wii U.

edit 2: 30% is a lot less infuriating, I read the split backwards apparently. Still damned stupid. Nintendo sure as hell didn't contribute anything of worth to the four hour Mario Party video, to use an easy example.

Myggen

He did a stream of it on his personal channel, if that's any consolation.

---

So was Nintendo actually taking the advertising proceeds that youtube channels were getting for the nintendo game videos? Was Giantbomb affected too? Or was it just not being enforced

GB doesn't monetize their YT videos, so they weren't affected. But yes, Nintendo has been taking ad proceeds for some time now. I'm not sure how much.

Nah, that got an eyebrow raise out of me, too.

It was vodka, and they drank most of it at the actual panel. He did what Brad always says he does, try to get drunk enough before a panel for the stage fright to disappear, he didn't seem drunk at all at the panel.

Chuck

Still without luck

:C

Jesus MPP3 was depressing, I thought. Grumpy old men for 4 hours. Not even an entertaining kind of trash-talk or shitting on the game or whatever, just seemed like a couple of grumps waiting to clock out. Kind of a waste of the premise if you ask me.

That's what happens when you're asked to play fucking mario party for more than 1 turn

They're stronger than I am I'd have looked for a new job if this is what I had to do

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Mario Party is actually fun though, if you play with people who want to have fun instead of actively hate the game.

If you're playing with people so easily entertained as to have fun playing Mario Party, just buy a roll of aluminum foil and some string. It'll hold their attention longer and save you money.

sjack

Banned
Mario Party is actually fun though, if you play with people who want to have fun instead of actively hate the game.

There is nothing fun about playing 50 turns of Mario Party. This is coming form somebody who didn't start off inherently hating the franchise the way Jeff does (I still think it's hot garbage and people who unironically enjoy playing it are broken inside)

Megasoum

Banned
Wait, I can't buy the MP Trilogy unless I have enough harddrive space? Why? How?

If you buy it from the site it will give you a download code instead that you will be able to redeem whenever you have enough space to download.

But yes this is fucking stupid but par for the course with Nintendo and their understanding of the super mysterious thing that is called "The Internet".

how much space?

7 something gigs I think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom