• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant bomb "dot com" official thread 12 - anime + waluigi discussion webzone

Status
Not open for further replies.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
The Shield gets really good once they start to serialize the show properly. I think what Anthony Anderson does in season 4 of that show is the most surprised I've ever been by an actor , I just couldn't imagine that he had something like that in him. The last season of The Shield might be my favourite final season of TV ever, and especially one storyline (I won't say which, but people who have watched it probably knows) is just absolutely fantastic and could make for a great movie by itself.

The Shield is absolutely fantastic. Watch that instead of the West Wing.

Also, watch Southland. You're welcome.

Zaph

The Shield is absolutely fantastic. Watch that instead of the West Wing.

Also, watch Southland. You're welcome.

Southland was fantastic too. I really loved how fresh the narrative structure felt - some episodes would be hyper serialised then all of a sudden a complete time/situation jump.

Regina King didn't get enough appreciation in that role. Her shotgun/home invasion scene was so good.

edit: damnit jimmy, making me have to edit my post

i might be in the minority but i'll take Justified over The Shield any day

better writing (second best dialogue in the medium) and Goggins is just as good, but his character is infinitely more likeable

also it's essentially the spiritual sequel to Deadwood

Zaph

better writing (second best dialogue in the medium) and Goggins is just as good, but his character is infinitely more likeable

Justified could have been a contender to The Shield, but the overall arc of the show just hasn't come together as well as it could have. Slightly too much wheel spinning and formulaic plots - even the final season feels done before.

But it's still excellent and yes, some of the best dialogue you'll ever find on tv.

Myggen

Aside from Olyphant and Justified being a modern western in many ways, I don't see much of a resemblance to Deadwood. Deadwood is just so much darker than Justified, and on a whole other level when it comes to writing and having a rich cast of characters (Justified got better about having a lot of good characters on the villain side, but the police side has always been more or less just Raylan, and Art making some kinda funny remarks from time to time).

I'm a fan of Justified, but The Shield from season 3 onwards just hit me a lot more than Justified. Justified has never come close to hitting the real high points of The Shield for me.

Aside from Olyphant and Justified being a modern western in many ways, I don't see much of a resemblance to Deadwood. Deadwood is just so much darker than Justified, and on a whole other level when it comes to writing and having a rich cast of characters (Justified got better about having a lot of good characters on the villain side, but the police side has always been more or less just Raylan, and Art making some kinda funny remarks from time to time).

I'm a fan of Justified, but The Shield from season 3 onwards just hit me a lot more than Justified. Justified has never come close to hitting the real high points of The Shield for me.

I dunno, the major similarities to me are the complexity of the dialogue, the huge number of common cast members, and the humor. Deadwood is dark, but it's also honestly one of the funniest shows ever.

It's probably mostly just me wishing it could come back for real though :(

Justified could have been a contender to The Shield, but the overall arc of the show just hasn't come together as well as it could have. Slightly too much wheel spinning and formulaic plots - even the final season feels done before.

But it's still excellent and yes, some of the best dialogue you'll ever find on tv.

yeah, Justified isn't as consistent for sure. I really didn't like season 5 at all. But it's also always been more enjoyable and rewatchable for me than The Shield

i haven't actually watched it in years though. i'm due to check it out again

Walton Goggins is in Justified? HOW DID I NOT KNOW THIS!? I should watch this immediately.

Myggen

I dunno, the major similarities to me are the complexity of the dialogue, the huge number of common cast members, and the humor. Deadwood is dark, but it's also honestly one of the funniest shows ever.

Looking back, I actually like how Deadwood ended.
Hearst "getting away" fits with the themes of the show.
Sure, I would've liked another season and it's frustrating as hell that HBO basically admits cancelling it was a mistake, but it is what it is. I'm honestly more bitter about Luck being cancelled after 1 season because of the bullshit with the horses (which I understand, but come on, they had already greenlit another fucking season!). That first season became fantastic by the end there.

Zaph

yeah, Justified isn't as consistent for sure. I really didn't like season 5 at all. But it's also always been more enjoyable and rewatchable for me than The Shield

i haven't actually watched it in years though. i'm due to check it out again
The Shield is my no.2 or no.3 show (it goes back and forth with Breaking Bad a lot. The Wire no.1 obviously) but I find it completely un-rewatchable, it's just too tense and bleak, not seen a single episode more than once. The Wire isn't exactly roses but I've still managed to marathon it 4 times.

And not gonna lie, it took a long time to get cocksucka out of my daily vocabulary once Deadwood ended.

Looking back, I actually like how Deadwood ended.
Hearst "getting away" fits with the themes of the show.
Sure, I would've liked another season and it's frustrating as hell that HBO basically admits cancelling it was a mistake, but it is what it is. I'm honestly more bitter about Luck being cancelled after 1 season because of the bullshit with the horses (which I understand, but come on, they had already greenlit another fucking season!). That first season became fantastic by the end there.

totally agreed on all that, the ending was pretty much perfect, despite the many threads left dangling that were developing towards
the camp burning down in the next season.
As for Luck, the worst part about that was that I just felt really bad for Milch. The fact that horses and horse racing were such a big part of his life, and that it was such a passion project, and the reason the show ultimately ended...

the thing that hurts the most for me is still Carnivale though. so much potential there

Walton Goggins is in Justified? HOW DID I NOT KNOW THIS!? I should watch this immediately.

he's also gonna be in this:

'Justified's' Walton Goggins to Star in HBO's 'Vice Principals'

I love Eastbound and Down so this is seriously my most anticipated show right now

Myggen

He is one of the reasons i watch the show. Also the shield has the second best series finale of all time, with six feet under just edging it out.

Fuck yeah. That episode is perfection, and the last ten minutes is the only work of fiction that has made me cry several times.

he's also gonna be in this:

'Justified's' Walton Goggins to Star in HBO's 'Vice Principals'

I love Eastbound and Down so this is seriously my most anticipated show right now

Oh man, that sounds great. Eastbound and Down was a fantastic show, one of the darkest comedies I've seen. That last season, man... Not a fan of much of what else Danny McBride has done, but god that show is good.

I love Justified, but no, not even close. The dialogue in Deadwood is in a completely different league than anything else on TV.

- J - D -

B-oZz--UcAApL_I.jpg:large

First a bow and now a gun. Has someone contacted human resources on Drew yet?

I love Justified, but no, not even close. The dialogue in Deadwood is in a completely different league than anything else on TV.

It truly is. I'm not even suggesting Justified is on that level at all. Nothing is. But it's about the closest we have now, outside of Rectify or Mad Men or something. They somehow managed to translate Elmore Leonard's style of dialogue to television, which is a pretty big feat

sometimes though, Justified does have some Deadwood ass lines

"I come with no more lofty an aim than to apprise you of the situation in which you find yourself"

Oh man, that sounds great. Eastbound and Down was a fantastic show, one of the darkest comedies I've seen. That last season, man... Not a fan of much of what Danny McBride has done, but god that show is good.

I loved the final ~15 minutes of that show, one of the best finales i've seen. I'd put it up there with Six Feet Under and The Shield, honestly

Zebetite

Banned
First a bow and now a gun. Has someone contacted human resources on Drew yet?

If you worked in HR, would you want to create issues with a man who keeps a bow and a gun in the office?

gZ9jWQp.png

Look at the size of that cat!

I don't know if I don't pay enough attention to Jeff when he's on the job or if something was going on that morning, but I was way too distracted by his eyebrows during the latest Jar Time to notice the cat. They're magnificent.

Xeteh

I don't know if I don't pay enough attention to Jeff when he's on the job or if something was going on that morning, but I was way too distracted by his eyebrows during the latest Jar Time. They're magnificent.

He was working on his Heihachi cosplay for PAX.

i can't decide whether i should try to play through MGS3 before Scanlon 3 starts

it's the only one i've never played through, i started it like 3 times but never got very far

got the HD collection sitting here though

Drew is like Dwight from The Office, he has weapons stashed all over the workplace.

Random question: are there any videos of Vinny playing Just Cause 2? That seems like a game that he'd have a blast in.

It truly is. I'm not even suggesting Justified is on that level at all. Nothing is. But it's about the closest we have now, outside of Rectify or Mad Men or something. They somehow managed to translate Elmore Leonard's style of dialogue to television, which is a pretty big feat

sometimes though, Justified does have some Deadwood ass lines

"I come with no more lofty an aim than to apprise you of the situation in which you find yourself"
This season in particular has been mad Deadwood-y. When the show is really rolling it's probably the sharpest dialogue of anything on TV right now.

While we're on the topic of shows we like, I'd like to give a shoutout to Downton Abbey, which I love and adore.

I mean if we're just gonna talk about what the best current TV show is then we can talk about Hannibal.

Renpatsu

i can't decide whether i should try to play through MGS3 before Scanlon 3 starts

it's the only one i've never played through, i started it like 3 times but never got very far

got the HD collection sitting here though
I'm going to start playing and hopefully by the time it goes up I'll still be ahead of Drew by a few hours.

Bacon

Guys how the fuck are you watching tv shows and giantbomb content? It's one or the other for me!

I ain't got time for all this!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom