• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb E3 2012

pax217

I feel like tonight is going to be akin to the last day of summer camp as a kid...

...break all the rules, what are they going to do? Send me home a few hours early?

I lost it when Jaffe said, "fuck her". That was amazing.

Ha ha, Jeff "Yeah we've had some on here in the past that didn't gel."

Jintor

Patrick relates everything to puzzles.

Patrick, Halo is not a puzzle game in any way. I feel you on Hitman, but Halo is just a shooter. It's okay to like a shooter.

If you think about it broadly, all gameplay is a set of systematic puzzle mechanics. Not saying that's what Patrick meant though.

that Carmack video was great. That is the kind of random stuff I would hope he would do in his spare time not spend coding and making rockets.

Also wasnt Brad too nervous to interview him a year or so ago and backed out last minute and got Patrick to do it?

Good to see him finally talk to his gaming idol.

JonCha

Watched last night's live show. Jaffe was an awesome guest; very interesting.

And just saw the Tony Hawk interview. At first I thought he didn't care what Jeff had to say, but he seemed to be into gaming. Pretty cool side of him I hadn't seen before, even if he'd did look very deadpan.

Patrick, Halo is not a puzzle game in any way. I feel you on Hitman, but Halo is just a shooter. It's okay to like a shooter.

Halo has a more freeform approach to combat compared to most modern military shooters, which is what he was talking about. The floating thing throwing your grenade back at you is an attempt by 343 to mix it up a bit.

The sandbox has often been described as a puzzle, trying out different strategies to manipulate the ai, using the right weapon, approach from the right side etc.

Havok

The way that Halo encounters are designed could certainly be compared to a combat puzzle. You are given tools that have very restricted use cases, and you are presented with a set of varied enemies whose compositions give them unique strengths and weaknesses. The extended kill times make those strengths and weaknesses more apparent and important. Brad has made the same comparison in the past and I agree with him as somebody who is way, way into Halo. There's not a "correct" solution to any of them, it's more reactive than a traditional puzzle game, but there are elements of it in there.

listened to half of the pre e3 podcast.

Jeff made me laugh with his "well EA have the spare man power now.. Its not like they are making any more MMA games"

AngryMoth

@taswell: Had my best, most-perfect moment on the show floor today. Can't wait to share it on tonight's live stream.

Such a tease!

Says it all really. A few pages back someone posted a link to the gamespot video where you can see Jeff and Ryan talk about it. Edit: here

Ok thanks guys. I guess it was pretty crazy of me to expect them to talk about it on their E3 podcast!

CallIng halo a puzzle is lazy. RTSs can be puzzles, and sports games, and everything else...
This post is a puzzle

Ok thanks guys. I guess it was pretty crazy of me to expect them to talk about it on their E3 podcast!

Have you watched last nights? They were busy and I doubt they wanted to continue after 4 hours of talking.

There's a Most Wanted interview up on the YouTube channel, but the audio is completely fucked. Seriously, your ears will be raped.

smr00

Banned

This post is a puzzle
To be fair there is nothing TO talk about.

it's about games! *cue 3 exlusives and a few third party titles we have already seen*.

Nintendo was more disappointing then microsoft, hopefully the 3DS thing they are doing tonight is good.

I really hope Dave Lang and Phil show up one night. Perhaps Geoff will make an appearance as well. Jaffe slamming Leigh was brilliant. Does anyone happen to have the titles of some of the songs that played during the extended interlude?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
if Drake ever finds himself unemployed, I demand that he becomes GiantBomb's Agent guy who books them and everything.

"When's it coming out?"
"I don't know!"

Magnus

Is this live somewhere right now? Or anything else live from E3 right now? I dug GT's stuff for Mon/Tues, and miss it. :(

That's a really great interview with Tony Hawk especially so considering he had to come up with all those questions on the spot.
Yeah, if anyone could do that, Jeff could. Perfect man for the job, haha.

Tony seems like he still has a genuine interest in his games, and I'm glad he does. I only ever really liked (or was interested) in those first few games, but it's been cool to see them pushing the game into different directions instead of just letting it stagnate the entire time. It hasn't captured my eye again yet, but I'm hoping the HD collection will get some of that continued support he mentioned. I would definitely be "on board" for that. Get it? Board? Tony Hawk is a skate boarder. YEAH!

Top Bottom