• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb E3 2012

jett

D-Member
Last night's podcast was utterly fantastic, Jaffe is such a great, enjoyable guest. Moment of the night was obviously "oh...her? FUCK HER!" :lol

indie guy redeemed himself at the very end. :p

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Jaffe was totally wrong with Wind Waker. That still had the core Zelda gameplay but with a different art style. SC: Blacklist turned a stealth game to Sam running through the middle of a camp in the day, smoking dudes left and right then running up a wall like Assassins Creed.

Never cared or played Splinter Cell. What they should didn't look like that great of a game. Sure, it's nifty looking, watching perfection of a handgun in action, but that's not aiming and shooting, that looks like a QTE.

LQX

Did they talk about Nintendo at all last night? Is the podcast different? I finished it and cant recollect them talking about Nintendo.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Old Splinter Cell is a very methodical type of stealth. lots of tension, shit that make your soul burn slow kinda deal. They peaked in Chaos Theory in my opinion, but the others are very good also.

I think, at it's highest potential, this new kind of Splinter Cell (Conviction and Blacklist) has a real cool resource management system. melee take-downs = auto-kill shootan. So you gotta successfully kill/take down X amount of enemies to accrue X auto-shoots.

Sadly I have little faith Ubi is capable/willing to make a game where this duality of unstoppable powerhouse/stealth results in interesting combat scenarios, but it's nice to think about.

f0rk

This indie guy is really annoying but Jaffe is doing an amazing job of responding to the depressing hippie bullshit.

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
The music on the Carmack interview is so distracting. Near the end it's almost playing louder than Carmack's talking. Sounding like the Futurama theme is definitely not helping my brain filter it out.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Old Splinter Cell is a very methodical type of stealth. lots of tension, shit that make your soul burn slow kinda deal. They peaked in Chaos Theory in my opinion, but the others are very good also.

Eh, I wish the old SC games were mechanically as interesting as you describe. Chaos Theory does a really great job putting the player in nifty environments and 'obstacle courses' to sneak through.

But the AI was always TERRIBLE. The sheer ease of dispatching anyone from shadows became such a rote mechanic throughout each game(foil rounds even if going for no alarms). Tension was lost pretty quickly.

Again, they do excel with some engaging mission scripting now and again with some fun objectives to accomplish. But the "stealth" is being largely misrepresented by fading memories.

Rapstah

Oh man, the indie guy is like the most stereotypical parody of a hipster indie fan in parts. I'm sure it's mostly by accident, but some of those games he's describing and the ways he is doing it sound like parodies.

Is there any good video moments from the day 1 podcast? I want to listen to it while at work, but if there is stuff I should see then I will make sure to watch those.

<>!!!

Gomu Gomu

SpeedPage®

I lost it here
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
. Jeff is a brilliant comedian.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
But the AI was always TERRIBLE. The sheer ease of dispatching anyone from shadows became such a rote mechanic throughout each game(foil rounds even if going for no alarms). Tension was lost pretty quickly.

yes, the AI is ass. most stealth games have this issue. but what I like is that they then take those limits to their AI and make the game a sorta action puzzle game (Or, when I am allowed by the game to pretend that's what they were thinking)...

Of course, AI advancements is the thing I always get excited for in a major hardware revision, but it's all resolution and textures and blah blah blah with these people ;_;

KarmaCow

This is the John Carmack thing Brad was talking about:

http://www.giantbomb.com/e3-2012-john-carmack-interview/17-6164/

What an amazing guy.

He said that the output has be distorted so that it can be corrected by the lens, but is that another system placed on top just for the head mount or is it integrated into the game? Even without the changed pivot point or motion sensing, it would be neat to use it just as a head mounted display to give it more use.

I could have sworn I saw an "E3: Day Zero" podcast sitting in my iTunes queue but it disappeared this morning. Am I crazy, or was it just renamed to the "sealed envelope" one?

Raide

I could have sworn I saw an "E3: Day Zero" podcast sitting in my iTunes queue but it disappeared this morning. Am I crazy, or was it just renamed to the "sealed envelope" one?

Sealed was last week I think where they guessed. Zero was just before the conferences started.

jonabbey

They had some problems with their RSS feed. They got it sorted out later on, try refreshing it in iTunes.

I heart E3 Giant Bombcast.

Aselith

I haven't had a chance to listen to any of the podcasts yet, so I wonder if I missed any classic Giant Bomb moments that we'll remember for years to come?

Considering how disappointing this E3 has been I'm not even sure if I want to listen to anyone talk extensively about it; but it kinda would be a shame if I missed a Jeff Green and Paul Barnett episode...

Yeah there was a pretty incredible rendition of what they thought would be the end of the Gears trailer in one of the Day Zero podcasts.

theBishop

Banned
This indie guy is really annoying but Jaffe is doing an amazing job of responding to the depressing hippie bullshit.

The problem I have with Jaffe is his best work by a fucking mile contradicts this point he's been trying to make all generation.

Make a great popular mechanics-based game dude.

Havok

Just finished up Day 1's after hours show. Indiecade/CAH guy was podcast poison because he made every conversation a massive bummer, but Jaffe was nailing it left and right. He definitely won the show with his "oh, you had that one...yeah, fuck her" comment about a certain guest of years past. Gearbox dude was pretty intrusive.

I wish there would have been a little more back-and-forth on a few of Jaffe's points. Especially the bit about games becoming more generic due to collaboration from so many people, and not because of publisher pressure. I get where he's coming from about the need for a strong creative direction, but at the same time it's hard for me to believe that there's not a pretty big push for conservatism (for lack of a better term) from publishers. Sony seems to give their developers more creative freedom than a lot of other publishers.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I wish there would have been a little more back-and-forth on a few of Jaffe's points. Especially the bit about games becoming more generic due to collaboration from so many people, and not because of publisher pressure. I get where he's coming from about the need for a strong creative direction, but at the same time it's hard for me to believe that there's not a pretty big push for conservatism (for lack of a better term) from publishers. Sony seems to give their developers more creative freedom than a lot of other publishers.

Agreed. Just look at LBP Karting, All-Stars Battle Royale and Last of Us.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Patrick relates everything to puzzles.

Patrick, Halo is not a puzzle game in any way. I feel you on Hitman, but Halo is just a shooter. It's okay to like a shooter.

Patrick relates everything to puzzles.

Patrick, Halo is not a puzzle game in any way. I feel you on Hitman, but Halo is just a shooter. It's okay to like a shooter.

I think it was just bad word choice, sandbox is more appropriate as Halo allows players multiple approaches to most combat scenarios.

Top Bottom