• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 6 • Coming on PS3 Holiday 2013

BadWolf

You know I just realized it's been a hell of a long time since I bought a Gran Turismo game. Since PS2 infact. Think I'll be picking this badboy up.

Ditto, was thinking of getting GT5 since I haven't bought a racing game this gen yet but will now wait for this.

It's even worse than that, atleast you could play GT4 on a PS3. Sony are literally sabotaging their PS4 launch. There is zero reason to upgrade my PS3 to a PS4, that's good for me as I save some money, I dunno if that's good for Sony.

It's clearly not a smart move.

I hope at E3 they show off the new features like online championships etc. Would be great to get a glimpse of what they have in store.

The great thing is that E3 is right around the corner, so we won't have to wait too long for the next update. It won't be as hard as it was with GT5 and the gaps between its updates.

KAL2006

Banned
Maybe there is a PS4 version coming and will be announced in E3. As for Drive Club I thought that is a arcade racer and not a sim. I also have a gut feeling Sony will announce instant game collection for PS4 at E3 and Drive Club will be the first game for the service.

It's even worse than that, atleast you could play GT4 on a PS3 at launch. Sony are literally sabotaging their PS4 launch. There is zero reason to upgrade my PS3 to a PS4, that's good for me as I save some money, I dunno if that's good for Sony.

So without Gran Turismo you would buy a PS4?

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Some of you guys are seriously making mountains out of mole hills.

God of War II was released in 2007, after the PS3 was released, and everything turned out just fine.

I'm sure GT6 will do just fine and won't hinder PS4 sales.

The PS3's early years were pretty pathetic, so it really doesn't support your point.

entremet

God of War II was released in 2007, after the PS3 was released, and everything turned out just fine.

What lol. The PS3 struggled for a bit there. You don't remember the PS3 has no games meme?

Radec

lol, you guys whinning and saying you won't buy a PS4 because GT6 is on the PS3 should just do that.

More stocks for us on day one.

Maybe there is a PS4 version coming and will be announced in E3. As for Drive Club I thought that is a arcade racer and not a sim. I also have a gut feeling Sony will announce instant game collection for PS4 at E3 and Drive Club will be the first game for the service.

At E3 2014 maybe.

-Amon-

In my opinion they're not talking about a PS4 version because on PS4 you abslolutely can't have standard models, while on PS3 you still can.

So they have to port all the standard cars to premium to publish a GT6 PS4 version.

And that takes time. Lots of it.

Were you there for the PS3 launch? It was a shambles, so it's no surprise GoW2 did fine. The PS4 launch will be anything but based on what they've said, so either GT6 bombs (not bloody likely) or early PS4 adoption will be lower than it might otherwise have been due to people sticking with PS3 for this.

Moobabe

It is money either way for Sony though. This game is releasing at $60 and it will sell for a good while. They can't just ignore the currently big base on the PS3 either.

As others said, the PS4 is likely to sell with or without GT at launch. It will get its own GT in time. If they can make DriveClub and get money off that too, then why not? It is not like Evolution is going to bring MotorStorm back from being dead/dying.

Exactly. Something like 70 million people own a ps3 - but Sony should put it's leading franchise on a new machine when 10 million+ bought GT5? Use your heads people

def sim

This is odd. Gran Turismo is Sony's best selling IP, isn't it? If so, this would be like MS releasing a Halo game exclusive to 360 this fall.

Elios83

Of course they're making a PS4 version but they won't talk about it this year.
Their strategy is clear, the game is not bound to PS3 but it's being built as scalable.
This year they sell GT6 to PS3 users and Drive Club to PS4 early adopters.
Next year they announce GT6 PS4 edition with full features, all DLCs included and so on.
Annoucing GT on PS4 this year would ruin the plan, so I wouldn't expect a PS4 GT announcement anytime soon, except for vague hints like 'yeah at some point of course there will be a GT game on PS4'.

AniHawk

Yeah I don't get this strategy...

they might be expecting the ps4 to be a slow starter, and it might make sense to not throw every big franchise at it if it might not make a profit at the start. this way the ps4 will build a steady fanbase over time, while the ps3 makes them a decent profit.

also, something something two gran turismos per playstation something something.

Moobabe

This is odd. Gran Turismo is Sony's best selling IP, isn't it? If so, this would be like MS releasing a Halo game exclusive to 360 this fall.

Best selling IP on a brand new console with no guarantee in sales. Or best selling IP on a machine where GT5 did 10 million+?

darkwing

this confuses the PS4 buyer who is also looking into GT6, not to mention they are going to be released nearly at the same time

KAL2006

Banned
Of course they're making a PS4 version but they won't talk about it this year.
Their strategy is clear, the game is not bound to PS3 but it's being built as scalable.
This year they sell GT6 to PS3 users and Drive Club to PS4 early adopters.
Next year they announce GT6 PS4 edition with full features, all DLCs included and so on.
Annoucing GT on PS4 this year would ruin the plan, so I wouldn't expect a PS4 GT announcement anytime soon, except for vague hints like 'yeah at some point of course there will be a GT game on PS4'.

Yep seems pretty likely. I expect GT6 PS4 Edition for fall 2014. With it being announced at Gamescom 2014.

This means they predict PS4 to be a slow burner which I think is correct. It does make sense to keep PS3 alive and kicking while PS4 gains momentum.

Someone who buys the PS3 this year gets a ton of great games and a cheap old ps3 backlog to power their habit for a couple years. Then they can jump on the PS4 train later.

Its not controversial. Its not dumb. It makes perfect sense.

Only hardcore GAF members wants Companies to outright kill platforms overnight and expect 50 million people to go out and buy a $400 console "just because".

Zep

Banned
Why would Sony care about you holding off from buying a PS4 for 6 months? They know as soon as they show off the PS4 version, you will be trading in your PS3's and you will have now bought two versions of GT and have easy access to buying a PS4. This is win/win all around for them.

The Stealth Fox

I thought they made it clear that GT6 is a PS3 game.

People need to stop with the wishful thinking.

A GT game will come to PS4, but in the future. Not now.

Dibbz

The great thing is that E3 is right around the corner, so we won't have to wait too long for the next update. It won't be as hard as it was with GT5 and the gaps between its updates.

Yes, also fastest GT to come out after it's announcement right? Fucking awesome.

Best selling IP on a brand new console with no guarantee in sales. Or best selling IP on a machine where GT5 did 10 million+?

How do you figure there's no guarantee of sales? GT is a big draw for people, I'm sure if it was on PS4 at launch, it'd sell incredibly well.

Dat trailer! Definitely excited, can't wait to pre-order the game.

On a side note, people are delusional if they actually think releasing GT6 in ps3 will affect the ps4 launch. If anything gt6 is a great great gift for all the loyal ps3 and GT fans that waited 4 years to see GT5 released on ps3.

androvsky

Or launches on the PS3 in the fall, patch to play on PS4 a few months later.

Besides, isn't Drive Club basically filling in for the usual Ridge Racer Playstations usually launch with but obviously isn't going to with the PS4? People gotta have something to play on day 1.

Typical overreactions as usual. The implication that the PS4 is in dire straits because GT6 is not on it (at the moment) is hilarious. I remember a 599.99 PS3 selling out at launch with no compelling software whatsoever. So this is GAF typically wanting their company of choosing to make terrible business decisions that would benefit them. Hilarious.

Jarnet87

There also wasn't really a comparable title to God of War for the early PS3 days. I guess there was Heavenly Sword, but realistically nothing worth comparing. Sure the two racing games are different styles, but if you only could afford one title which one is it going to be?

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)

It's more about preparing for the future or just looking at short term gains. Get people buying PS4s real early and you have them locked in for the next 5+ years.

Announcing a PS4 version with a different subtitle 6 months later probably will happen.

jabuseika

This is me right now.

kEmUb3l.gif

RIP Evolution Studios and PS4. :(

Not surprising this isn't coming to Vita too. At the rate that Polyphony develop games we wouldn't be seeing a PS3/Vita cross-buy release until 2016 if it was.

nib95

Banned
Seriously, everything I can comprehend in the OP sounds amaze. But I don't understand a lot of it, Amar, can you describe the new features in more detail?

It's more about preparing for the future or just looking at short term gains. Get people buying PS4s real early and you have them locked in for the next 5+ years.

How is that preparing for the future if you have to kill your console to support the next hot thing? Makes the work Sony did to push the Playstation worthless if they don't make money with it now.

Darryl

Banned
this game releasing will have little effect on the long-term health of the PS4. i doubt Sony is eager to discontinue the PS3, keeping it alive longest is best case scenario. dunno about Drive Club. i'm sure they have their expectations in check.

I guess they took the KojiPro route with their engine. Built one at the start of this gen that ended up having problems and just kicked it the curb so that they could build a flexible one that'll work across generations. Smart move in the end.

Moobabe

Announcing a PS4 version with a different subtitle 6 months later probably will happen.

Exactly - but I don't see this as short sightedness from Sony. They have a captive audience for GT6 already - and it no doubt cost a lot of money to make, and have been in development for a long time.

I understand wanting your favourite franchises to be on PS4 for a compelling reason to get one day one (hell I'm waiting for something to really grab me as a launch title and this might have been it) - but I understand the thinking behind it. Especially with a GT6 Platinum edition on PS4 in the middle on next year or something.

Top Bottom