• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport demo coming Oct. 9

Mush

I had a lot of fun with 6-3 (the one with the GT-R around the Tokyo Expressway) just now. If you enjoyed the Sierra time trial stuff from GT6, I'd definitely give it a look.

Alucrid

Banned
K7yKTHZ.gif

ZxKGY8M.gif

yeah, this demo convinced me to buy.

GHG

Gold Member
I can't believe that I'm actually downloading the demo, but that's what I'm doing right now. 2h left.

Problem in the beta (and previous GT titles) was the cockpit sound. It's a bit like Gran Turismo thinks that every car interior has the sound insulation and noise cancelling of a Mercedes E-Class, even though some race cars are so loud inside the emptied interior with echo and transmission noises that it's hard to understand radio messages from the pits.

And it's a feedback loop problem too! The cockpit driving experience - overall (exposure, sound, camera angle and movement, steering wheel rotation, thumbs, FoV) is not as good in GT as in other games (or at least not as good as it could and should be) because PD doesn't care because almost no one drives from cockpit view, because the cockpit view is bad, because PD doesn't care, because nobody uses it and so on and so on.

Once I changed the sound settings to be what I said in my previous post it was like a whole different game from an audio perspective.

Why they have it set to being low car audio sounds and BGM distorting everything I will never know. I know BGM is a staple of the series but they have semi-decent audio now, flaunt it.

Septic360

Banned
So completed another race.

Visually, this does not impress me like Forza 7's demo did.

Controls are decent. Sound is good.

Omw to gym but seems like a decent racer so far

Once I changed the sound settings to be what I said in my previous post it was like a whole different game from an audio perspective.

Why they have it set to being low car audio sounds and BGM distorting everything I will never know. I know BGM is a staple of the series but they have semi-decent audio now, flaunt it.
I never drive with BGM and I only have 2 channel where my wheel is. But I try to set it louder, when I get to the demo in the later evening. Thanks.

riverfr0zen

Neo Member
Damn. Perfect joypad controls straight out of the box (for me)! I may fiddle a little w/ sensitivity later, but it's great to the point of making an impression by default.

I got the Options crash a couple of times, but after messing around in Arcade mode, it seems to be gone. Either it resolves itself over time or occurs due to some state issue.

Thanks. That sounds kinda cool but what i enjoyed about GT isn't actually the racing. I just liked buying cars and exploit the cpu so i could buy cooler cars. I always liked the clean museum asthetics with the smooth jazz that played. The racing was just a necessary evil lol.

Each to their own and all, but you spend $60 for *this*?

Here's my dilemma I can play on a 4k HDR TV but only with a controller, or i can play on a 1080p set with surround sound and a gt wheel. To do this requires setting up the wheel and moving my Pro for like an hours play.... What would you do?

You come out of the closet and move your wheel rig into the living room is what you do.

Thanks. That sounds kinda cool but what i enjoyed about GT isn't actually the racing. I just liked buying cars and exploit the cpu so i could buy cooler cars. I always liked the clean museum asthetics with the smooth jazz that played. The racing was just a necessary evil lol.

Well you can do that in a way in arcade mode since you can customize your races .

K7yKTHZ.gif

ZxKGY8M.gif

yeah, this demo convinced me to buy.

Ditto

I was mostly indifferent to the Closed Beta, but this..... I mean, I hadn't realized how much I missed dem signature GT feels (^____^)

Tried my first race online and came in 3rd actually. Very elegant lobby system.

ty_hot

Will I my cars carry over to the final version? Or only up to 1M cash? Because I don't want to buy cars now if they wont be available for me later.

I'm not sure about the online racing I was hit by another car, and spun out, I got a downrating on the SR and also disqualified from the race.
I got a 10 second penalty after missing the brake point and hitting one guy (it was really a small hit), he didn't even lose control of his car. Then someone threw me out of track and once the ra e finished I saw that I was the only one with penalties (the guy that hit me won the race).

The penalties need some work.

I'm surprised how easy I find this to play. I'd had quite an issue playing racing games on TV's after VR but have had very few problems with this and that is with everything turned off and on expert. Pre-order justified and I only got it for VR. However if the AI is this basic in VR then the 1v1 might be a bit of a let down, hoping I can get some good battles out of it.

Fredrik

Pleasantly surprised here! Camera shake is in even if it's subtle, graphics in outstanding, love how bright the headlights and sunlight is, extremely well done UI visually, replays are awesome, AI is far better than FM7, racing is fun! What's not to like? The lacking SP content I guess, but like I said earlier I'm a weak old man, I planned to vote with my wallet against this but I just can't, this is great and I've waited since GT5 for this. Thinkng about getting a Pro for this tbh.

I just played an online race and you guys it was crazy. Most people were purposefully not smashing into each other the whole time. And the people that were got time penalties it looks like.

I've never seen such a thing in all my years.

KORNdoggy

You can turn rubberbanding off in the options. It's on by default.

seems a lot of people don't bother looking at options...you think they would being such huge sim racer fans. i mean, who goes into a racer without seeing what's going on behind the scenes? racers come with all sort of assist garbage turned on these days it's worth it just to make sure they're all turned off.

xviper

I just played an online race and you guys it was crazy. Most people were purposefully not smashing into each other the whole time. And the people that were got time penalties it looks like.

I've never seen such a thing in all my years.

there is penalties for crashing ?? this is horrible

when i used to play FM5, i enjoyed crashing into people much more than actually racing, when the race starts, i go backward and pick a nice spot, i act like i'm AFK, when the 1st player comes close, i end his dream and hear all the shit talking and screaming on the mic, those were the days

magawolaz

Finished my first Sport race, started 9th and ended 3rd. Mostly because of people spinning here and there, buh hey. Other than that they were all clean drivers, very nice.

Will I my cars carry over to the final version? Or only up to 1M cash? Because I don't want to buy cars now if they wont be available for me later.
Up to 8 cars going by the store description. Not sure how/if it'll let you choose.

when i used to play FM5, i enjoyed crashing into people much more than actually racing, when the race starts, i go backward and pick a nice spot, i act like i'm AFK, when the 1st player comes close, i end his dream and hear all the shit talking and screaming on the mic, those were the days
Bruh lmao

inner-G

Banned
I don't think I'm going to end up getting this, but if I do, I apologize to everyone online in advance because I'm probably going to drive like i did in singe-player GT games. (Using the other cars as corner brakes, doing donuts on the track to watch them in the replay, etc.)

Haha, this is not the game for you my friend.

ValfarHL

I don't get long to play over the next few days I've played for an hour or so today. Here's my dilemma I can play on a 4k HDR TV but only with a controller, or i can play on a 1080p set with surround sound and a gt wheel. To do this requires setting up the wheel and moving my Pro for like an hours play.... What would you do?

Wheel, no contest.

I don't think I'm going to end up getting this, but if I do, I apologize to everyone online in advance because I'm probably going to drive like i did in singe-player GT games. (Using the other cars as corner brakes, doing donuts on the track to watch them in the replay, etc.)

Don't worry if the racing system work you will be put with other players that do the same thing .

Arklite

Pure scumbaggery, there should be achievements.

Also, the Discover section is freaking great, like a built in instagram for scapes.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Just played for two hours. This game looks incredible in 4K/HDR. I love the presentation. I love the feel of the cars. I love the design. I love the music. I love the UI.

This game is sublime.

Oh boy that 30 lap race was INTENSE!
Was going with a 5 stop strategy and in the 29th lap I do a stupid mistake to spin around (I think my soft tires were already shit), and lose the first place by 3 seconds. I keep up the pace and eventually win 100m ahead of the finish line by using the slipstream.

Whew. Also, Lago Maggiore is an awesome track.

bud

how big of a jump is it from sdr to hdr? i've never seen hdr.

tell me what i'm missing out on so i can cry.

riverfr0zen

Neo Member
Can anyone tell me why I was able to enter a Sports mode game and given the option of various cars that I had not earned yet? Perhaps I'm not recalling accurately but the beta only let you drive cars you earned, right? Did they carry over from the beta? Or is there a baseline of cars always available? Otherwise, what is the point of earning/buying cars?

It doesn't matter; the game will just put you in races with other people that drive like you (if the matchmaking works as expected).

how big of a jump is it from sdr to hdr? i've never seen hdr.

tell me what i'm missing out on so i can cry.

Non-HDR is like viewing the game through wax paper

The whole picture is dim

HDR essentially removes that wax paper

It gives every single asset its own brightness and expands the amount of colors you can have

Dumping people into the rank 6 stuff as a massive leap over 1 is going to confuse many because it instantly adds a bunch of new features like pit stops and fuel burn without any explanation. Even I didn't think until my 2nd try to cycle around and check the fuel mix.

Just crashing on your own isn't penalized. Crash into other people? God yes. What do you expect? If demolition derbies are your style you'll get slotted down quickly to other players who do the same. The whole idea here is that the average player that wants to, you know, just race, doesn't have to ever deal with people like you. This is how you make online play more welcoming.

Bubbins

Have yet to play the demo, but it sounds like there is no ability for performance mods? Do we know if there will be performance mods in final version? Surprising if no since that was always a hallmark of the series.

Top Bottom