• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport demo coming Oct. 9

88random

They need to do something about people who are a lap behind, they influence the race too much currently. I finished second two races in a row on that oval track because a guy I lapped didn't move or rammed into me.

WoolyNinja

They need to do something about people who are a lap behind, they influence the race too much currently. I finished second two races in a row on that oval track because a guy I lapped didn't move or rammed into me.

That happens in real racing though - check out JR Hildebrand losing the Indy 500 a few years ago on the last turn thanks to lap traffic.

Or maybe people just like different things.

True, which is why is difficult to disagree when you have to understand that people might have different views on objective things.

As a former finalist in some editions of gt academy, my perspective will always be different than the regular market, the one that generates sales and money for Sony.

Due to the esports focus i thought the game would advance a little bit in realism, but for every step foward they took five steps backwards.

You're fast enough to catch up to lap traffic but not good enough to pass them? :D Just busting your chops on this one, found it humorous.

The1Ski

Does all the online stuff even work?

All I get are disconnects regardless of sports or lobby mode

I had zero issues last night (which kept me up until 2am)

I can see myself really getting sucked into the cycle of qualifying lap time ----} actual race / repeat. For me, every transition was smooth without getting booted once.

leehom

Its a weird feeling for someone known in real life to be the ultimate gt fan to play debbie downer, but i dont get the feedback here.

Real life GT fan when you said this not too long ago? More like real life viral marketer. Therefore your opinions are useless.

Metacritic:

Project Cars 2 - 91
Forza - 82
Gran Turismo - 73

Reasoning:

Gran Turismo - There´s still a lot of optimism and benefit of the doubt on this one, but once reviewers see this for what really is - normal career mode isn´t fooling anyone following this game closely - the feedback will be harsh. After a while online play might actually be fun and challenging, but the reviews will analyse this game for what the series stands for, and despite the jaw dropping visuals and some neat features, this game has more flaws than redeeming qualities.

Reasoning:

Gran Turismo - It still has the brand, but it will be worse than 5 Prologue and 6. Can´t see this game moving more units because there´s zero hype for it, and casuals alone won´t put this into GT1,2,3,4 or 5 status.

dracula_x

Brand Central section – Polyphony Digital channel:

of8ngq5.png

kiVb5oB.png

z7BAoBZ.png

ds9k8S6.png

Fredrik

Its a weird feeling for someone known in real life to be the ultimate gt fan to play debbie downer, but i dont get the feedback here.

Handling has a very binary feeling, its either understeer or oversteer, theres no substance to it, and what was good enough in 2007 just isnt good enough these days.

Braking is absolutely wrong in this game, so is the differential work specially when coasting or reducing speed.

Tuning is unchanged since the series introduced toe in settings in gt2 or gt4, meaning that theres no air pressure adjustments, which says it all you need to know about their tire model.

You have fantasy cars racing in fantasy tracks under fantasy conditions. In the past gt tried to be realistic but it was held back by the tech.

Now the game is mostly based in fantasy because its aimed to the casual market, and i dont blame them because thats where the sales are.

If you were 15 or so when gt1 was released youre pretty much only playing on nostalgia, but i guess if you are sort of new to racing games you can have some enjoyment out of this.
It's not that simple. I've played GT since PS1 but for me it isn't about nostalgia, I honestly don't care if it isn't total realism, I mostly want fun racing with realistic looks and somewhat realistic behaviour, and GTS is pretty much exactly how I want things.

My problem is the single player content, to me it doesn't feel like a $60 release unless you play online, which I don't do. The free demo is awesome though.

And it's a real shame if you can't remove the in-game steering wheel in cockpit view, I've kind of got used to that by now from playing other racers.

Gestault

Braking is absolutely wrong in this game, so is the differential work specially when coasting or reducing speed.

(Using a controller, btw)

The deceleration for braking down from about 45 mph to zero (w/ grip retained) is weirdly gradual. My Ford C-Max Hybrid, which has a ton of extra weight/momentum from its battery, seems to have "sharper" deceleration than what I've driven so far. I think part of it is I don't hear the brakes at all, which is something I've gotten used to in other games just as a feedback thing.

I've gotta give it more time, because I know I'm still dialing myself in. This feels like GT, but both in a good and bad way. Coasting to decelerate leading up to a soft turn feels...I dunno, floaty, and when tyres should be at their highest grip, they're actually right on the edge of losing it.

88random

That happens in real racing though - check out JR Hildebrand losing the Indy 500 a few years ago on the last turn thanks to lap traffic.

I know, but this is online, people usually don't respect that when they are lapped, they shouldn't interfere. Their ego doesn't allow the "humiliation" of being lapped. I mean, I lapped the guy, and on the next turn he tries an imposible overtake and rams into me. They should make them ghost on any possibility of contact.

I can't get over how incredibly bad the chase cam is. I don't think I have ever seen a worse example than this before. While I play mostly in bumper cam view I like to change things up evey once in a while. But this is just unusable.

EDIT: Ok, I have been tinkering a lot with the settings but I obviously never got it right. I just found the right setting though, now it's alright!

Tomeru

Handling has a very binary feeling, its either understeer or oversteer, theres no substance to it, and what was good enough in 2007 just isnt good enough these days.

Tuning is unchanged since the series introduced toe in settings in gt2 or gt4, meaning that theres no air pressure adjustments, which says it all you need to know about their tire model.

You have fantasy cars racing in fantasy tracks under fantasy conditions. In the past gt tried to be realistic but it was held back by the tech.

Now the game is mostly based in fantasy because its aimed to the casual market, and i dont blame them because thats where the sales are.

If you were 15 or so when gt1 was released youre pretty much only playing on nostalgia, but i guess if you are sort of new to racing games you can have some enjoyment out of this.

What are you saying really? I can't figure out what you don't like and how it's related to it being a good/bad game.

GHG

It's not that simple. I've played GT since PS1 but for me it isn't about nostalgia, I honestly don't care if it isn't total realism, I mostly want fun racing with realistic looks and somewhat realistic behaviour, and GTS is pretty much exactly how I want things.

My problem is the single player content, to me it doesn't feel like a $60 release unless you play online, which I don't do. The free demo is awesome though.

And it's a real shame if you can't remove the in-game steering wheel in cockpit view, I've kind of got used to that by now from playing other racers.

They options appear to be there but they seem to be greyed out for the beta.

But I agree with everything else you're saying. I've been playing GT since GT1 and I'm having a great time with this. I can also aporeciate the more hardcore sims out there and play those when I'm in the mood but this is the perfect balance of being a sim in the right areas whole being toned down enough to be fun to play even if I just want to unwind a little bit.

It's also making me realise that online in racing games vs randoms doesn't have to be a shit show. I've been pleasantly surprised in that respect.

Footos22

I can't get over how incredibly bad the chase cam is. I don't think I have ever seen a worse example than this before. While I play mostly in bumper cam view I like to change things up evey once in a while. But this is just unusable.

EDIT: Ok, I have been tinkering a lot with the settings but I obviously never got it right. I just found the right setting though, now it's alright!

Options. Advanced options chase cam. Set the 2 settings to 0 and then from far to near

Scientific improvement of 1000% estimated

DSPEED

Enjoying the demo a lot and I’m excited for the full release. I have played with both a controller and a wheel. I truly believe using a wheel is the best experience to be had. I have a G29 and a Fanatec CSL Elite. Unfortunately, compatibility with the CSL Elite isn’t available yet, but Fanatec posted they are working with Polyphony to have support by launch. My only complaint so far is the “choppy” sound in replays. Car’s sounds pop in and out too quickly and doesn’t sound right. Otherwise, I feel the graphics are amazing and the sounds are much improved. Playing on a Pro and I have no real complaints. Such a major step up from past GT titles. The menus are fantastic and the soundtrack is great. Scapes is very well done and the community has already taken some incredible photos. I have faith Kaz will continue to expand the game with more tracks and cars to help bolster content. I’m perfectly happy with their initial offering and plan on spending lots of time with the game.

Cudder

Man, the dynamic video that plays when selecting/buying cars is incredible. Way better than a static image or rotating car model.

GHG

Man, the dynamic video that plays when selecting/buying cars is incredible. Way better than a static image or rotating car model.

Isn't it great, and then there's the little touches like the detailed description about how the car came to be and it's features etc.

What are you saying really? I can't figure out what you don't like and how it's related to it being a good/bad game.

Hard to type because im on mobile right now, but the main point is that the game has not evolved towards realism, its weird to see them inventing rally versions of cars like the mustang or the nsx, not to mention vision gt cars.

Concept cars have always been in the series since the old days of gt2 and the mighty dodge concept, but they were never the protagonists, you always had a bunch of content and they were just the extra.

Now cars that dont exist in real life are more than 50% of the game, not to mention the weird fantasy tracks like that short oval.

Another way to express i guess is that this game feels a lot more like driveclub than ac or pcars, which is not good for a series that was supposed to be simulating stuff.

I was not expecting a full on sim, but the first day impressions were bad because in some ways it feels worse than gt5.

It's also making me realise that online in racing games vs ransoms doesn't have to be a shit show. I've been pleasantly surprised in that respect.

My online experiences so far haven't sold me yet. Many people driving all over the place, not paying attention, or just driving terribly and causing a clusterfuck pile-up. The weird penalty system where I end up getting docked for someone else's behavior doesn't help the situation. The AI drivers might be underwhelming, but at least they're underwhelming in a consistent way that doesn't impact my own racing enjoyment.

I also don't understand under what conditions cars become 'ghosted' and when you'll hit them. I've had both happen when people drive back onto the road. It's disconcerting not knowing when to avoid a car and when to just drive through, and I'm not sure why they're ghosting in the first place.

So I guess I'm not convinced yet that an online-focused GT game is an adequate replacement for the traditional single-player content. The penalty system is supposed to separate the 'serious' drivers from the jackasses, but so far it isn't shaking out that way due to flaws in how the system works. I remember Driveclub having some similar issues with its penalty system at launch, so maybe Polyphony will get it sorted out. But it's a shame to see them repeating mistakes that others already corrected.

GHG

My online experiences so far haven't sold me yet. Many people driving all over the place, not paying attention, or just driving terribly and causing a clusterfuck pile-up. The weird penalty system where I end up getting docked for someone else's behavior doesn't help the situation. The AI drivers might be underwhelming, but at least they're underwhelming in a consistent way that doesn't impact my own racing enjoyment.

I also don't understand under what conditions cars become 'ghosted' and when you'll hit them. I've had both happen when people drive back onto the road. It's disconcerting not knowing when to avoid a car and when to just drive through, and I'm not sure why they're ghosting in the first place.

So I guess I'm not convinced yet that an online-focused GT game is an adequate replacement for the traditional single-player content. The penalty system is supposed to separate the 'serious' drivers from the jackasses, but so far it isn't shaking out that way due to flaws in how the system works. I remember Driveclub having some similar issues with its penalty system at launch, so maybe Polyphony will get it sorted out. But it's a shame to see them repeating mistakes that others already corrected.

Avoid cars all the time regardless, never rely on ghosting. If that's a tactic you're employing then you're playing with fire.

Also I'm finding that it's qualifying that does the job in separating the fodder away from those who are competent at the game. I can't say I've experienced any of what you have but then I'm always in the top 3 starting places on the grid due to my qualifying time.

leehom

Man, opinions. Lets not play the police game.

He has a history of pushing a narrative and probably hasn't even played the game. What's wrong with calling him out on his bs?
Rarely see these kind of shit posts in the less popular racing series.

Rellik

GT was never king in customizing the look of your car. It has never had body kits.

Race modding your car in the original Gran Turismo added a body kit. Then you could add further mods on top.

One of my favourite things to do in that game was buy random cards and mod the hell out of them. No other game (that I personally knew of or owned at the time) allowed me to do that.

It's a shame they went backwards on that, but maybe it's a graphics thing.

GHG

He has a history of pushing a narrative and probably hasn't even played the game. What's wrong with calling him out on his bs?

Woah.

There's no reason to believe he hasn't played it. If he was looking for a more hardcore experience and that's his opinion then it's fair enough and it's entirely valid. Not everyone will like every game.

ornery

Avoid cars all the time regardless, never rely on ghosting. If that's a tactic you're employing then you're playing with fire.

Also I'm finding that it's qualifying that does the job in separating the fodder away from those who are competent at the game. I can't say I've experienced any of what you have but then I'm always in the top 3 starting places on the grid due to my qualifying time.

This right here.

This is just gold.

When people tell me some guys are paid to defend brands online i dont believe it, them i see this.

You can dig up anything i posted in the last decade or so about gran turismo and the tone will be the same. Being critical has nothing to do with playing or not playing the game.

Tomeru

Hard to type because im on mobile right now, but the main point is that the game has not evolved towards realism, its weird to see them inventing rally versions of cars like the mustang or the nsx, not to mention vision gt cars.

Concept cars have always been in the series since the old days of gt2 and the mighty dodge concept, but they were never the protagonists, you always had a bunch of content and they were just the extra.

Now cars that dont exist in real life are more than 50% of the game, not to mention the weird fantasy tracks like that short oval.

Another way to express i guess is that this game feels a lot more like driveclub than ac or pcars, which is not good for a series that was supposed to be simulating stuff.

I was not expecting a full on sim, but the first day impressions were bad because in some ways it feels worse than gt5.

I can relate in some ways. Rally shouldnt have been in any gt game. I actually like the fantasy part of GT heh. But there are much more realistic sims out there (I used to play some iRacing). I think there is more to be descovered in ragrding to the game physics though. I hope for the best.

I wouldn't say it's a tactic I've been using, just an inconsistency I've noticed. One dude pulls out onto the road in front of me and boom, t-boned. Another time I ghost right through. It's more that I don't even understand what the car ghosting means, and it's a bit harder to see them in that state. Are they lagged out? Or is there some algorithm we don't know that determines when?

As far as lap times, I'm sure that's the case. The online races I've played have pretty much been tracks I've either never played or not that familiar with, and typically I've only had ~5 minutes to qualify. I can see how as time goes on the 'serious' people would be at the front, but I also think that biases towards people that are already expert at driving games, and it doesn't invalidate that the penalty system is not really doing the job it's supposed to. Imagine someone who is not great at driving but trying to get better; they're stuck near the back of the field with the people careening all over the place. How are they supposed to improve? So I think they really need to work on the penalty system so that it penalizes the right people and doesn't penalize the victims of that behavior.

Angst

I've personally played a lot of online races with Seattle in the neogaf racing league (gt5) . He's one of the top racers here and to claim he hasn't even played the game is ludicrous.

Niks

Woah.

There's no reason to believe he hasn't played it. If he was looking for a more hardcore experience and that's his opinion then it's fair enough and it's entirely valid. Not everyone will like every game.

This. Played plenty against Seattle in GT5, he Is very fast and clean player. I respect his oponion, but I think he answered his own question.

GT sport was made for a broader appeal, and not for the hardcore racer that cares about tire pressures, but simmy enough to reward good driving techniques and etiquette.

I think they succeded in that regard.

l2ounD

Seattle is legit fast, him and a few others used to school us in GT5 if I remember correctly from the neogaf league

Unknown?

So a fan of the series cant criticize?

Opinions are not valid if they are not positive?
You just invalidated thousands if not tens of thousands of people who DO like this game by saying it’s just nostalgia. Lol Double standards much? Maybe you should stop using blanket statements to speak for others?

I know you have your opinions but out of this and PCars 2(PS4 only speaking) this is just way better imo. The first PCars was bland and the sequel doesn’t hold up to this in physics either. I do like Assetto Corsa but that has a bunch of problems this game doesn’t have either.

GHG

I wouldn't say it's a tactic I've been using, just an inconsistency I've noticed. One dude pulls out onto the road in front of me and boom, t-boned. Another time I ghost right through. It's more that I don't even understand what the car ghosting means, and it's a bit harder to see them in that state. Are they lagged out? Or is there some algorithm we don't know that determines when?

As far as lap times, I'm sure that's the case. The online races I've played have pretty much been tracks I've either never played or not that familiar with, and typically I've only had ~5 minutes to qualify. I can see how as time goes on the 'serious' people would be at the front, but I also think that biases towards people that are already expert at driving games, and it doesn't invalidate that the penalty system is not really doing the job it's supposed to. Imagine someone who is not great at driving but trying to get better; they're stuck near the back of the field with the people careening all over the place. How are they supposed to improve? So I think they really need to work on the penalty system so that it penalizes the right people and doesn't penalize the victims of that behavior.

Honestly my suggestion would be to play offline more to familiarise youself with the cars/tracks. You can do qualifying runs long before you can even enter the events for an unlimited amount of time, try doing those and start nailing some consistent laps. Before long you will be qualifying alongside a lot of the better racers. Don't ruin your driver rating while learning the game, it's not worth it and you'll only make things more difficult for yourself in the long run as you'll have to fight through more bad players to get to the good stuff.

I would never never enter any of these events unless I was at least comfortable with the track first.

ghibli99

I wish it had more than just 1 that you can customize. I like that most other racing games have at least 2 (near and far), plus 2 interior (with/without steering wheel). What I would like is the hood cam combined with the interior/chase sounds. So dead sounding without them.

You just invalidated thousands if not tens of thousands of people who DO like this game by saying it’s just nostalgia. Lol Double standards much? Maybe you should stop using blanket statements to speak for others?

I know you have your opinions but out of this and PCars 2(PS4 only speaking) this is just way better imo. The first PCars was bland and the sequel doesn’t hold up to this in physics either. I do like Assetto Corsa but that has a bunch of problems this game doesn’t have either.

Its not clear because english is not my first language, but nostalgia was for me, it was not supposed to be for everybody.

I disagree on the physics debate if you compare this to pcars 2, but then again there are objective and subjective aspects of the driving model. I can understand why some would prefer this.

Everytime theres a post about impressions im only talking about what i felt, it wasnt a statement about why others are playing.

ty_hot

Scapes is so awesome. I will probably be more excited for new Scape locations than cars :p

For the first time ever I enjoy racing in oval tracks. The tension is real. Finished in 2nd (started 4th) in a Sports race in that almost Oval circuit. 15 laps (I think) of pure concentration, a small mistake and you are gone.

GHG

Anyone have a list of cars that's in the demo?

Will I be able to drive the Mustang tonight?

They're pretty much all in. It's down to luck of the draw as to what you win for your garage in the demo. For example I've won the Cayman GT4, the Mercedes SLS and the BMW i3 (lol) so I can take any of those cars and do custom/arcade/timetrial races with them.

Apart from that arcade mode gives you a decent amount of cars to play with and the qualifying mode in the GT sport mode allows you to select any car from the class of a particular lap to do practice in.

Upinsmoke

Where's rubber banding I can't find It, I know it's under boost but looked in the options menu on the main screen and on the screen before you start the race and can't find it.

Do you guys reckon that the cars that come with the special editions will be available later at some point?

I really want the Toyota FT-1 Vision GT Gr.3 and the Nissan GT-R NISMO GT3 N24 Schulze Motorsport but to get the SE for just 2 cars....I dunno.

Unknown?

Its not clear because english is not my first language, but nostalgia was for me, it was not supposed to be for everybody.

I disagree on the physics debate if you compare this to pcars 2, but then again there are objective and subjective aspects of the driving model. I can understand why some would prefer this.

Everytime theres a post about impressions im only talking about what i felt, it wasnt a statement about why others are playing.

Okay I can respect that, it’s just that your first post came off with some elitism.

To each their own. :)

Honestly my suggestion would be to play offline more to familiarise youself with the cars/tracks. You can do qualifying runs long before you can even enter the events for an unlimited amount of time, try doing those and start nailing some consistent laps. Before long you will be qualifying alongside a lot of the better racers. Don't ruin your driver rating while learning the game, it's not worth it and you'll only make things more difficult for yourself in the long run as you'll have to fight through more bad players to get to the good stuff.

I would never never enter any of these events unless I was at least comfortable with the track first.

I don't disagree with any of that, but it's also a chicken-egg problem. Limited time to play a limited demo where online is the focus of the game. I have to evaluate the major part of the game they're basing the $60 value prop on, so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Also, some of those tracks afaik aren't available in arcade mode (unless they unlock?), like the Autodrome I played last night. I'm not super excited by the default demo tracks so I'm hoping I can find something I can sink my teeth into.

Top Bottom