• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

setoman

After rewatching Hellblade 2 two trailers again, I admit, it does have potential to take the crown as the best looking game of all time next year.
But that's if they throw away the vaseline blur post processing they are current doing and go for a more clean image like AW2.

When you think about it, AW2 and HB2 are basically the same type of game. Its a horror game about cults, rituals and monsters.
Playing AW2, I can see why it got a 90 RT. HB2 take notes, you don't need to smear your IQ to get atmospheric vibes. Just look at how AW2 is doing paravisions. ditch the heavy CA and blur

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I really like what they did to the day time lighting in spiderman. it used to be so ugly on the PS4. Building textures seem to have been updated, but the models themselves are still dated compared to cyberpunk.

BMO0o2G.gif

uKciCek.gif

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Went back into GoW Ragnarok and I'm really hoping we get a peak at their rumored DLC soon. They are the best studio to merge art and tech with amazing results. PS5 handles Ragnarok like a champ with near native 4k locked 60. Plenty of headroom for robust RTGI and other fidelity improvements at 1440p/30fps - No need for 4k. Their TAAU reconstruction is second only to DLSS imo. The cinematics are so amazing for cross-gen nature and dumps all over SM2's

EGT0XVX.jpg
n5Uiw4o.jpg
QzmjQNb.jpg
3anCdcj.jpg

After rewatching Hellblade 2 two trailers again, I admit, it does have potential to take the crown as the best looking game of all time next year.
But that's if they throw away the vaseline blur post processing they are current doing and go for a more clean image like AW2.

When you think about it, AW2 and HB2 are basically the same type of game. Its a horror game about cults, rituals and monsters.
Playing AW2, I can see why it got a 90 RT. HB2 take notes, you don't need to smear your IQ to get atmospheric vibes. Just look at how AW2 is doing paravisions. ditch the heavy CA and blur
I think it probably will too. If it is as linear as the first game then it honestly should blow open world games like GTA 6 or Death Stranding 2 out of the water. I think the latter will be more technically impressive tho

ChiefDada

Gold Member

After Halo Infinite and Forza Motorsport trailers vs reality, I wouldn't get my hopes up on HB2 if I were you.

What do you mean 'looks much better'? Is the shimmering still present?

It's still there all right
I really like what they did to the day time lighting in spiderman. it used to be so ugly on the PS4. Building textures seem to have been updated, but the models themselves are still dated compared to cyberpunk.

BMO0o2G.gif

uKciCek.gif

Why didn't they improve the detail and geometry of SM2's open world though? It's such an obvious thing people were expecting to see improved and the building are basically the same.

ckstine

Back in the Alan section of AW2. Seriously, as someone who did a 100% playthrough and is now playing again, the game at its *worst* looks better than anything else on its best. It's like a generational leap in itself. Remedy is on PS6 mode or something idk.

Last edited:

hlm666

Could this be what to expect from indie multiplayer shooters using ue5? Feel like we might be about to get a tsunami of indie ue5 games/announcments heading into next year.

SKYF@ll

Why didn't they improve the detail and geometry of SM2's open world though? It's such an obvious thing people were expecting to see improved and the building are basically the same.
SM2 doubles your swing speed and can boost it by more than double.
It's great that they were able to maintain the same geometry as streaming loads have also increased by 2-4x.
Comparison images(Fidelity Mode) of Times Square (Left:SM1 Right:SM2)
GY1dPk4.jpg
MfmO4kO.jpg

Back in the Alan section of AW2. Seriously, as someone who did a 100% playthrough and is now playing again, the game at its *worst* looks better than anything else on its best. It's like a generational leap in itself. Remedy is on PS6 mode or something idk.
I love Alan Wake 2. It is incredibly beautiful but it is a very slow paced horror game with no more than 3 or 4 enemies on screen at one time. From a technical standpoint, I don't Remedy are doing much to push boundaries of what games can be. So few games have properly utilized new engines and tech this generation that it makes it seem like it is technical wizardry

SABRE220

aye but the police station shots always looked a bit dodgy to me
Wow now this is a pleasant surprise, the asset quality is phenomenal. The last image of the police station looks off but thats some inconsistency in polish due to the limited buget I'm guessing.

SABRE220

BSvZT3.png
BSvrUD.png
BSvRsA.png
BSv1Zq.png
BSvgO0.png

Robcop runs on UE 5.2 and looks pretty good, but the reflections and lightning feel really off. Antialiasing also hurts the image a lot in my eyes.
Not impressed by lumen at all so far, on the bright side its a cool game made by a smaller studio and feels much more stable than 99% of unreal engine 4 games.

Bright future ahead for UE5 and nanite this gen if this is anything to go by.
There is something seriously wrong with the lighting there, is this with lumens? Even on lower settings in a game as simple as fortnite you can get much better results via lumen so not sure you can blame lumen itself here.

Last edited:

SABRE220

Went back into GoW Ragnarok and I'm really hoping we get a peak at their rumored DLC soon. They are the best studio to merge art and tech with amazing results. PS5 handles Ragnarok like a champ with near native 4k locked 60. Plenty of headroom for robust RTGI and other fidelity improvements at 1440p/30fps - No need for 4k. Their TAAU reconstruction is second only to DLSS imo. The cinematics are so amazing for cross-gen nature and dumps all over SM2's

EGT0XVX.jpg
n5Uiw4o.jpg
QzmjQNb.jpg
3anCdcj.jpg
They need to make a ps5 exclusive dlc like burning shores, but looking at their ability, heritage and potential it infuriates me that they limited their finale to last gen standards instead of pushing it via the next gen systems. They blolew minds with gow3 on the ps3 and this gen they played it so safe.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Using my imagination to think about how amazing Alan Wake 2 looks when the people championing refuse to throw up videos and think static images of a game with a dark atmosphere are the best way to show off superior lighting.

trFwfXI.gif

You should get that thing called internet and look for videos yourself. This was posted 2 pages prior:

SABRE220

Yeah this is the best looking scene in the game. So good.
Compared to Death Stranding of which I sadly have only ps4 slim images(so last gen 1080p). I really HAVE TO replay it in 4k/hdr on ps5 finally.
AW2 are ps5 shots quality mode
YSAsago.jpg

AIx4tTz.jpg

A1NB42P.jpg

scfoi1k.png

kCpRtRT.png

F9iPVUl.png
Jesus christ DS is holding up very well here, decima is a beast of an engine I truly hope guerilla dont get lazy and keep pushing their tech as they seem the only hope for sonys visual prowess this gen.

SABRE220

Better skin shading for one. Better hair.

Maybe its the lighting but the baby and lea look amazing.

ezgif-5-abd8a58f54.gif

ezgif-5-405e520f47.gif

huge upgrade over her first game's character model.

tumblr_ps9yxw5s2v1xg3d7ro2_540.gif
Agreed there is a large contrast between the fidelity of the other characters and reedus, but its a game in early development Im pretty sure they will spruce up the main character to match the others.

SABRE220

Yeah, I've played enough AW2 at this point to comfortably declare it the best looking game I've ever played:

53305285538_21b2716aab_o.png

There's other games that do facial/character detail/animations better, but as a whole there's no other game on this planet I'd use as a graphical showcase over this one.
I think this might be a game that needs to be played to see its true value because the screenshots dont really match the glowing statements. I will definitely need to play this one seeing the massive praise int his thread.

PeteBull

PS5 handles Ragnarok like a champ with near native 4k locked 60.
Just quick correction here, ragnarok runs on ps5 in dynamic 1440-2160p
1440p which res goes down to durning most intense moments, is 2560x1440=3686400 pixels
Native 4k, so 3840x 2160= 8294400 pixels
As u can see in worst possible scenario ps5 runs gow:ragnrarok below even 50% of pixel count of native 4k, which isnt near native 4k obviously.

Here proof, timestamped

TLDR ps5 is actually too weak to even run crossgen GoW:ragnarok in 4k60 despite that mode having visual cuts compared to 4k30fps fidelity mode.

They need to make a ps5 exclusive dlc like burning shores, but looking at their ability, heritage and potential it infuriates me that they limited their finale to last gen standards instead of pushing it via the next gen systems. They blolew minds with gow3 on the ps3 and this gen they played it so safe.
Sony Santa Monica didn't decide whether GOWR was a PS5 exclusive or not, that is a Sony decision. Sony wasn't going to pass up on 100+ million of PS4 sales. Every reasonable company would of done the same. It is the nature of the business

Senua

Gold Member
Hopefully you are talking about lewis's lips...

Vanilla Starfield looked more washed out than current conor mcgregor...
See above, talented artists only! Reshades for RDR2 for example. Stuff that looks incredible and made by super talented artists are very rarely improved upon by reshade, often it makes it looks garish. subtlety is a quality many fail to possess

mrMUR_96

EGT0XVX.jpg
n5Uiw4o.jpg
QzmjQNb.jpg
3anCdcj.jpg
Of course PS5 runs a PS4 game at 4K 60, GOWR is fully last gen. SSM haven't demonstrated anything next gen at all yet.

SKYF@ll

Just quick correction here, ragnarok runs on ps5 in dynamic 1440-2160p
1440p which res goes down to durning most intense moments, is 2560x1440=3686400 pixels
Native 4k, so 3840x 2160= 8294400 pixels
As u can see in worst possible scenario ps5 runs gow:ragnrarok below even 50% of pixel count of native 4k, which isnt near native 4k obviously.

Here proof, timestamped

TLDR ps5 is actually too weak to even run crossgen GoW:ragnarok in 4k60 despite that mode having visual cuts compared to 4k30fps fidelity mode.

GOW: Ragnarok (performance mode) is output in 4K with excellent reconstruction.
The first image is quality mode(2160p), and the second image is performance mode(1440-2160p).
TAA + machine learning texture upsample + bicubic upscale + sharp filter
Tj2SWc7.jpg
wAzgz3w.jpg
yvmnPs8.jpg

GymWolf

Gold Member
I can't post imgur gif as usual

Senua

Gold Member
I can't post imgur gif as usual

Looks fun as hell

PeteBull

GOW: Ragnarok (performance mode) is output in 4K with excellent reconstruction.
The first image is quality mode(2160p), and the second image is performance mode(1440-2160p).
TAA + machine learning texture upsample + bicubic upscale + sharp filter
Im not saying ragnarok has bad iq even in perf mode, my point was- ps5 is so weak it cant even run crossgen game in full 4k60, same game runs in 1080p30 on ps4, to get it to run in 4k60 ps5 would needed to be at least 8x stronger gpu wise, and ofc its far from that- hence it drops down to 1440p in worst case scenarios- when lots of things going on on the screen.

Thats the basis why those next gen looking games either gotta cut on res, on graphics or on fps, or on all 3 alltogether, hence its not ez to show one true example of next gen graphics on console already(except unreal5 demo which we couldnt see run in real time, just we gotta take devs worth for it) or the matrix demo, that dips so badly;/, vs what was achieved on 2013 launched ps4(in 1080p30 or even below 1080p, like in the order 1886).

Edit: U will see what i mean once ps5pr0 launches and suddenly games gonna start to look good, or u can check already by now for example Alan Wake 2 maxed, cp2077 maxed, or upcoming space marine 2

Its like with switch, no matter what devs do, even talented devs, if hardware sucks balls hard nothing else can be done.

Ppl here, myself included expected generational leap in visuals and systems, but if we consider how lil of jump in performance ps5 is, we unfortunately gonna have to manage our expectations hard =/

Last edited:

CGNoire

I think this might be a game that needs to be played to see its true value because the screenshots dont really match the glowing statements. I will definitely need to play this one seeing the massive praise int his thread.
I feel the same. Note: all of Remedys games from QB onward dont seem to look anywhere near as good in video or screenshots. You have to see them in person. I think its cause what they excell at the most is fine grain subtlety. The type of texture and shader subtlety that just gets ass blasted with literally any compression. There isnt a single bit of footage or screenshot online anywhere that looks like control does in person. Cause of this Im holding my AW2 impressions back till I see it in person.

Xtib81

That redpill is still hard to swallow lmao. I remember reading everywhere how powerful the next gen consoles were when the specs were announced and how the much better CPU and SSD would be transformative. Here we are, years after playing games that can barely hit 1080p sometimes with technical flaws like aliasing or shimmering that had almost disappeared last gen making a comeback. How embarrassing.

Last edited:

PeteBull

That redpill is still hard to swallow lmao. I remember reading everywhere how powerful the next gen consoles were when the specs were announced and how the much better CPU and SSD would be transformative. Here we are, years after playing games that can barely hit 1080p sometimes with technical flaws like aliasing or shimmering that had almost disappeared last gen making a comeback. How embarrassing.
SSD and cpu arent bottleneck to next gen graphics, but that gpu certainly is, its around 2070s/2080 non s grade if compared to nvidia, vs amd its bit weaker from 6700xt https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-rtx-2080.c3224
Obviously any raytracing added on top makes very lil power left for anything else ;/

Last edited:

CGNoire

QB on pc had its moments and looked really good, indeed april 2016 game- strong modern pc

vs
1,3tf xbox one weaksauce console

Thats what Im saying. QB looks fsntastic "in person". Videos and screenshots dont do there games justice. Any Digital compression seems to fuck up there games visuals more than most.

SlimySnake

My guess is improving textures is easier than creating new 3d models from scratch. Their engine probably isnt ready to stream in those elaborate 3d objects at fast speeds either. The game was made in 2.5 years so its also possible they just didnt have the time to redo the entire city. Again, the 500 man studio is split into three teams so they dont have the same resources a studio like 500 person studio like cd project does. Poor management. Game sold like crazy so expect more shortcuts for the next spiderman. This is why i wanted Sony devs to embrace UE5. It has all the assets they need. Pretty sure quixxel has already scanned and created models of the entire NYC already. Insomniac couldve just imported them in like the robocop devs did.

Looks fun as hell

This looks fantastic. Exactly what I wanted from TLOU1 after seeing the bloater crash through walls in TLOU2 in scripted events. Its insane that ND did a 1:1 remake and had the bloater high school section play out exactly the same. Dead Space and RE4 showcase just how much you can change from source material while staying true to the original. I still havent seen a lazier remake than TLOU1.

Im not saying ragnarok has bad iq even in perf mode, my point was- ps5 is so weak it cant even run crossgen game in full 4k60, same game runs in 1080p30 on ps4, to get it to run in 4k60 ps5 would needed to be at least 8x stronger gpu wise, and ofc its far from that- hence it drops down to 1440p in worst case scenarios- when lots of things going on on the screen.

Thats the basis why those next gen looking games either gotta cut on res, on graphics or on fps, or on all 3 alltogether, hence its not ez to show one true example of next gen graphics on console already(except unreal5 demo which we couldnt see run in real time, just we gotta take devs worth for it) or the matrix demo, that dips so badly;/, vs what was achieved on 2013 launched ps4(in 1080p30 or even below 1080p, like in the order 1886).

Edit: U will see what i mean once ps5pr0 launches and suddenly games gonna start to look good, or u can check already by now for example Alan Wake 2 maxed, cp2077 maxed, or upcoming space marine 2

Its like with switch, no matter what devs do, even talented devs, if hardware sucks balls hard nothing else can be done.

Ppl here, myself included expected generational leap in visuals and systems, but if we consider how lil of jump in performance ps5 is, we unfortunately gonna have to manage our expectations hard =/

Slight correction. The PS5 GPU is roughly 8.33x more powerful than the PS4 GPU despite the 5.5x difference in raw tflops. The GCN1.1 to RDNA2 IPC gains are 1.5x which gets us to 8.3x. Since you need 8x to get a 1080p 30 fps game to 4k 60 fps, the PS5 should be enough to do GOW at 4k 60.

The reason why it cant is likely due to the higher settings its pushing on PS5 compared to base PS4. Some PS5 games like Death Stranding actually get to 4k 60 fps but struggle to stay there during intensive boss fights but again so did the base PS4 and PS4 pro. This despite higher settings.

With all that said, I agree. The PS5 GPU simply isnt strong enough at 10 tflops to do these visuals at higher resolutions. Even the XSX GPU at 12 is running into the same issues since they also had to settle for FSR2 balanced instead of FSR2 quality which wouldve reduced a lot of those shimmering artifacts, but then again, the xsx GPU has its own issues and bottlenecks so who knows maybe a 12 tflops PS5 GPU might have been able to do FSR2 quality even with their own 448 GBps of vram bandwidth bottlenecks.

HFW also shipped with very similar shimmering at almost exactly the same internal resolution. They were able to fix this so maybe this is a remedy issue. I have played 1080p games on my 4k tvs that look like dogshit due to shimmering (Batman AK and DriveClub) and ive played other 1080p games that look crystal fucking clear with NO upscaling whatsoever because they use better AA. Sometimes its just the devs and their inelegant AA solutions. the shimmering you see in AW2 is not something you will see in bluray movies running at 1080p 24 fps. Let alone in a game running at 50% higher resolution than 1080p. I am playing AW2 in DLSS performance so 1080p internal resolution and its crystal clear. And its not just dlss AI magic, I played control at 960p internal resolution on a 4k screen using 1440p Dlss quality and it didnt have this shimmering. This is cybperpunk running at 720p internal resolution 1440p dlss performance. no shimmering whatsoever. AW2 has 3x higher internal resolution and is infested with shimmering whenever you turn the camera. Just needs fixing.

SlimySnake

Sony Santa Monica didn't decide whether GOWR was a PS5 exclusive or not, that is a Sony decision. Sony wasn't going to pass up on 100+ million of PS4 sales. Every reasonable company would of done the same. It is the nature of the business
Sony laterally gave up on the 100 million PS4 users when they released the PS5. Thats the nature of console business. The moment the PS5 was released, their main priority shouldve been to sell as many PS5s as possible. The first party games are not meant to make profit. They are a marketing tool. A fucking advertisement to sell consoles. Not the other way around like these fucking morons think it is.

The entire idea of a first party game is to do things other third parties arent doing. To push the boundries activision and ubisoft wont because their revenues are tied to the 100 million PS4 users.... Sonys revenues are tied to the new console users and to give them a reason to buy their pricey $550 console. Giving the PS4 players last gen versions is literally giving them reasons NOT to buy their pricey consoles. its literally going against their business.

Sony sold every console they made the first two years of this gen but have been forced to slash prices and bundle in games at discounts this year because they simply havent given their PS4 users enough reason to upgrade. 1 new PS5 first party game this year. none last year. Is it a surprise that price cuts are needed? Had they made GOW Ragnorak, HFW and GT7 next gen only, people wouldve been forced to upgrade this year if they couldnt last year due to shortages. And Sony wouldnt have had to slash the prices or bundle in free games.

Last edited:

PeteBull

My guess is improving textures is easier than creating new 3d models from scratch. Their engine probably isnt ready to stream in those elaborate 3d objects at fast speeds either. The game was made in 2.5 years so its also possible they just didnt have the time to redo the entire city. Again, the 500 man studio is split into three teams so they dont have the same resources a studio like 500 person studio like cd project does. Poor management. Game sold like crazy so expect more shortcuts for the next spiderman. This is why i wanted Sony devs to embrace UE5. It has all the assets they need. Pretty sure quixxel has already scanned and created models of the entire NYC already. Insomniac couldve just imported them in like the robocop devs did.

This looks fantastic. Exactly what I wanted from TLOU1 after seeing the bloater crash through walls in TLOU2 in scripted events. Its insane that ND did a 1:1 remake and had the bloater high school section play out exactly the same. Dead Space and RE4 showcase just how much you can change from source material while staying true to the original. I still havent seen a lazier remake than TLOU1.

Slight correction. The PS5 GPU is roughly 8.33x more powerful than the PS4 GPU despite the 5.5x difference in raw tflops. The GCN1.1 to RDNA2 IPC gains are 1.5x which gets us to 8.3x. Since you need 8x to get a 1080p 30 fps game to 4k 60 fps, the PS5 should be enough to do GOW at 4k 60.

Either SSM devs are incompetent or ur assumption is wrong, unless u can point me to at least one game thats a looker on ps4/took full advantage of the console and ran in 1080p30 then got ps5 update that made it run in 4k60, so far i dont know about any such games(dont count fifa coz lol, they are not so demanding;p).

I base my observation on both how ragnarok runs and how tlou part1 runs on ps5, it cant reach 4k60 either

We getting either 1440p60 or 4k40 but console is too weak for 4k60
Which would mean naughty dogs are just as incompetent as SSM in ur pov, or from my pov, ps5 is simply not 8x stronger, gpu wise.

Edit: spiderman remaster on ps5 in perf mode can drop to 1440p (yes i know assets quality in some areas improved but still;p)

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Jesus christ DS is holding up very well here, decima is a beast of an engine I truly hope guerilla dont get lazy and keep pushing their tech as they seem the only hope for sonys visual prowess this gen.
Even if GG gets lazy, kojipro will not. people dont give KojiPro enough credit for HFW's exceptional character models, a gigantic leap over HZD because of the work kojiPro did on adding cinematic features and upgrades to character model rendering. And because Kojipro engineers were adding all their changes to the main engine, GG's next game benefitted from all that research and tech that had already been built for Death Stranding.

lets not forget that the Fox Engine could do these visuals on the PS360. KojiPro are among the best in business.

eurogamer-dr5j87.jpg

This is what they showed off at GDC. Not sure if this was running on PS4 or PS3 but one picture is real, the other was rendered by the fox engine. This is probably what they were planning to do with PT and Silent Hill since MGSV was always designed as a PS3 game. We never really got to see a true PS4 only game on the Fox Engine.

fox_engine1.jpg.jpg

GymWolf

Gold Member
Daily reminder that you cunts should play the robocop game, it's only 30 euros on key sites.

We need a predator game from these dudes so you better contribute to the cause.

Sony laterally gave up on the 100 million PS4 users when they released the PS5. Thats the nature of console business. The moment the PS5 was released, their main priority shouldve been to sell as many PS5s as possible. The first party games are not meant to make profit. They are a marketing tool. A fucking advertisement to sell consoles. Not the other way around like these fucking morons think it is.

The entire idea of a first party game is to do things other third parties arent doing. To push the boundries activision and ubisoft wont because their revenues are tied to the 100 million PS4 users.... Sonys revenues are tied to the new console users and to give them a reason to buy their pricey $550 console. Giving the PS4 players last gen versions is literally giving them reasons NOT to buy their pricey consoles. its literally going against their business.

Sony sold every console they made the first two years of this gen but have been forced to slash prices and bundle in games at discounts this year because they simply havent given their PS4 users enough reason to upgrade. 1 new PS5 first party game this year. none last year. Is it a surprise that price cuts are needed? Had they made GOW Ragnorak, HFW and GT7 next gen only, people wouldve been forced to upgrade this year if they couldnt last year due to shortages. And Sony wouldnt have had to slash the prices or bundle in free games.
Sony didn't need Ragnarok to sell PS5's. The average consumer couldn't get a PS5 until beginning of this year. It would be bad optics to release HFW in February of 2022 when it's consumer base wouldn't be able to easily purchase a PS5 until 14 months later. Ragnarok was originally supposed to come out 6-8 months before last November. It's a business. I trust Sony's economists that they would be passing up a lot more money by making 1st party exclusive games on PS5. It's not like gamers won't buy a PS5 down the line because of cross-gen games. When 1st party games consistently release exclusive to the platform, gamers will still buy PS5. Why does it matter to Sony whether you buy a PS5 last year or now? Most likely the gamer was already playing on a PS4, so they are already in Sony's ecosystem

Top Bottom