• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

GymWolf

Gold Member
Even if GG gets lazy, kojipro will not. people dont give KojiPro enough credit for HFW's exceptional character models, a gigantic leap over HZD because of the work kojiPro did on adding cinematic features and upgrades to character model rendering. And because Kojipro engineers were adding all their changes to the main engine, GG's next game benefitted from all that research and tech that had already been built for Death Stranding.

lets not forget that the Fox Engine could do these visuals on the PS360. KojiPro are among the best in business.

eurogamer-dr5j87.jpg

This is what they showed off at GDC. Not sure if this was running on PS4 or PS3 but one picture is real, the other was rendered by the fox engine. This is probably what they were planning to do with PT and Silent Hill since MGSV was always designed as a PS3 game. We never really got to see a true PS4 only game on the Fox Engine.

fox_engine1.jpg.jpg
Lmao kojima has nothing to do with the jump in the models of horizon 2, guerrilla just used something like 168 metahuman models for their npcs, i posted a link in here.

And death stranding didn't even had rpg chit-chat with multiple choice so guerrilla didn't even used tech from that game for their digital acting during those sections.

Calm down with the fart sniffer overblown praises bud, guerrilla are the magic wizards here.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Sony didn't need Ragnarok to sell PS5's. The average consumer couldn't get a PS5 until beginning of this year. It would be bad optics to release HFW in February of 2022 when it's consumer base wouldn't be able to easily purchase a PS5 until 14 months later. Ragnarok was originally supposed to come out 6-8 months before last November. It's a business. I trust Sony's economists that they would be passing up a lot more money by making 1st party exclusive games on PS5. It's not like gamers won't buy a PS5 down the line because of cross-gen games. When 1st party games consistently release exclusive to the platform, gamers will still buy PS5. Why does it matter to Sony whether you buy a PS5 last year or now? Most likely the gamer was already playing on a PS4, so they are already in Sony's ecosystem
I already answered all of this in my original post. But giving PS4 users one less reason to upgrade is now coming back to bite them in the ass as they no longer have pent up demand and have to slash prices, bundle in free games or risk losing their sales target literally the first year the console has become widely available. Again, their job was to create a pent up demand and the shortage did that for them. Now they are literally giving away free games. Good job.

And GOW Ragnorak was greenlit as a cross gen game in 2018 before shotrages and covid was even a thing. Its just a dumb, retarded, greedy move by a bunch of morons who couldnt see the forest for the trees.

PeteBull

Sony didn't need Ragnarok to sell PS5's. The average consumer couldn't get a PS5 until beginning of this year. It would be bad optics to release HFW in February of 2022 when it's consumer base wouldn't be able to easily purchase a PS5 until 14 months later. Ragnarok was originally supposed to come out 6-8 months before last November. It's a business. I trust Sony's economists that they would be passing up a lot more money by making 1st party exclusive games on PS5. It's not like gamers won't buy a PS5 down the line because of cross-gen games. When 1st party games consistently release exclusive to the platform, gamers will still buy PS5. Why does it matter to Sony whether you buy a PS5 last year or now? Most likely the gamer was already playing on a PS4, so they are already in Sony's ecosystem
Have to strongly diseagree here, if some1 is ps4 user and doesnt get ps5 it means he or she has high chance of playing games on competiting platforms- xbox machine, or on pc(like its in my case- saw how weak ps5 is and went with 3080ti which is roughly 2x as strong+ much better rt perf ).
Thats big loss for sony, coz im not buying their exclusives(even tho im big sony fan back from amazing psx and ps2 days) nor even 3rd party games so no 30% cut for sony either in that area- and as an adult with disposable income i would be perfect catch for sony- hate gaas genre, love singleplayer games, and not casual so i would be spending few hundo bucks/euros yearly normally.

SlimySnake

Lmao kojima has nothing to do with the jump in the models of horizon 2, guerrilla just used something like 168 metahuman models for their npcs, i posted a link in here.

And death stranding didn't even had rpg chit-chat with multiple choice so guerrilla didn't even used tech from that game for their digital acting during those sections.

Calm down with the fart sniffer overblown praises bud, guerrilla are the magic wizards here.
GG actually gave Kojipro credit for their work on adding enhancements to cinematics and character models. I read it in an interview somewhere back in the day.

KojiPro is literally making commits to the engine on a daily basis. Decima is no longer just GG's. I dont know what else to tell you.

GymWolf

Gold Member
GG actually gave Kojipro credit for their work on adding enhancements to cinematics and character models. I read it in an interview somewhere back in the day.

KojiPro is literally making commits to the engine on a daily basis. Decima is no longer just GG's. I dont know what else to tell you.
But he has nothing to do with metahuman tech, that is the core of the improvement broh, that is the secret ingredient not the marginal improvements that kojima did.

Guerrilla was probably being nice like you do when someone help, like phil posting good stuff about sony when he probably dream about meteorite showers falling on sony hq :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Sure they are helping each other and horizon 3 is gonna use ds2 tech, but don't forget who created the engine in the first place.

And don't forget that horizon models in 2017 were excellent except for the digital acting, and they had a gigantic cast to render, not 10 mocapped actors at best.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Have to strongly diseagree here, if some1 is ps4 user and doesnt get ps5 it means he or she has high chance of playing games on competiting platforms- xbox machine, or on pc(like its in my case- saw how weak ps5 is and went with 3080ti which is roughly 2x as strong+ much better rt perf ).
Thats big loss for sony, coz im not buying their exclusives(even tho im big sony fan back from amazing psx and ps2 days) nor even 3rd party games so no 30% cut for sony either in that area- and as an adult with disposable income i would be perfect catch for sony- hate gaas genre, love singleplayer games, and not casual so i would be spending few hundo bucks/euros yearly normally.
yeah, same thing has happened me and all of my sony bros from back in the day. we all used to build our PCs late in the gen but now that we have more disposable income and arent struggling high school/college students, we had enough money to go build a 2x more powerful PC at the start of the gen. Thats why i kept saying sony should release a $599 14-15 tflops console but they went with a cheap $399 10 tflops console to target god knows who. The average age of gamers is 39 right now. we can afford a $599 console when we are paying $1000 for cellphones every two years, and wasting $6 for starbucks coffee and $10 on avacado toast every morning. Times have changed, sony didnt realize this and lost us all to PC.

This year alone i bought on PC Hogwarts, RE4, TLOU1, Star Wars (rented on ea pro), Starfield, Forza, Dead Space (rented on gamepass) and now Alan wake 2. With Sony and MS now taking 30% on digital sales instead of their previous 10% royalty fees on physical sales, they are losing hundreds of dollars per customer on a yearly basis. Andrew House, the previous Sony CEO knew this and got the Pro out by 2016. That forced me to delay my PC purchase until 2019.

Another crucial thing is Sony's own internal numbers showing how important hardcore gamers are to their business. They found that the people who buy consoles in the launch year end up spending an average of $1,700 in their eco system compared to just $700 for everyone else. Sony and MS have both basically lost those thousands of dollars despite selling us the consoles. Which is basically their business since consoles are not sold for profit.

SlimySnake

But he has nothing to do with metahuman tech, that is the core of the improvement broh, that is the secret ingredient not the marginal improvements that kojima did.

Guerrilla was probably being nice like you do when someone help, like phil posting good stuff about sony when he probably dream about meteorite showers falling on sony hq :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Sure they are helping each other and horizon 3 is gonna use ds2 tech, but don't forget who created the engine in the first place.

And don't forget that horizon models in 2017 were excellent except for the digital acting, and they had a gigantic cast to render, not 10 mocapped actors at best.
I didnt know Kojima used metahumans in DS1 or that GG used metahuman in HFW. I thought metahuman tech is something Kojipro leveraged from Epic specifically for DS2.

Read up on what Herman did with the decima engine. he literally put the source code on a usb stick and handed it to Kojima and his tech team. he said go nuts. GG are wizards but Kojima and his team has been doing this for far longer. its no surprise out of all the sony studios, GG was the one to give us the biggest leap in visuals within the same generation. Ragnorak and GT7 were virtually identical, TLOU2, Spiderman 2 and Ghost of Tsushima didnt see as big a leap we saw with HZD to HFW. They got access to geniuses over at Kojipro. This is why i keep saying Insomniac, Bend, Sucker Punch and ND should all start working on one engine. It doesnt have to be Decima but all their talents combined will create an engine to all engines.
"There was one condition though, that Kojima Productions doesn’t just use the engine, but that we develop the engine together with Guerrilla Games, that it should be a collaborative effort. So we were really blown away by their stance on this and being so open with the engine and we thought “Wow, these are the people we have to work with.”

We were looking for a realistic presentation (for TGA), so we had to make changes to the tools and other adjustments to the engine. Over the course of 6 months we passed the code back and forth between Guerrilla Games and Kojima Productions, working off the same code base. At this point our code had completely merged together.

It was different from the engine they originally gave us, so we decided we should give this new engine a name. That’s when we came up with the ‘Decima’ name (derived from Dejima – an artificial island in Japan where The Netherlands and Japan would trade during the Edo period). I really feel that with both of us working on this engine we are accomplishing the work at twice the speed and building something really fantastic."

GymWolf

Gold Member
I didnt know Kojima used metahumans in DS1 or that GG used metahuman in HFW. I thought metahuman tech is something Kojipro leveraged from Epic specifically for DS2.

Read up on what Herman did with the decima engine. he literally put the source code on a usb stick and handed it to Kojima and his tech team. he said go nuts. GG are wizards but Kojima and his team has been doing this for far longer. its no surprise out of all the sony studios, GG was the one to give us the biggest leap in visuals within the same generation. Ragnorak and GT7 were virtually identical, TLOU2, Spiderman 2 and Ghost of Tsushima didnt see as big a leap we saw with HZD to HFW. They got access to geniuses over at Kojipro. This is why i keep saying Insomniac, Bend, Sucker Punch and ND should all start working on one engine. It doesnt have to be Decima but all their talents combined will create an engine to all engines.
Maybe i wasn't clear, guerrilla used metahuman for h2, not kojima with ds1.

Not sure if kojima need to use metahuman if the next game has the same structure, he only has to scan and mocap the bunch of actors he loves so much, the first game had no interactions with basic npcs and holograms after a delivery hardly need metahuman tech.

Hopefully he is gonna remember to put a proper game under the pretentious bullshit this time.

Last edited:

PeteBull

Look at that next gen switch approximation from DF, i bet ninny fans already superhyped about those 720p dlss balanced modes with pixels of thise size of fists ;D

SlimySnake

Either SSM devs are incompetent or ur assumption is wrong, unless u can point me to at least one game thats a looker on ps4/took full advantage of the console and ran in 1080p30 then got ps5 update that made it run in 4k60, so far i dont know about any such games(dont count fifa coz lol, they are not so demanding;p).

I base my observation on both how ragnarok runs and how tlou part1 runs on ps5, it cant reach 4k60 either

We getting either 1440p60 or 4k40 but console is too weak for 4k60
Which would mean naughty dogs are just as incompetent as SSM in ur pov, or from my pov, ps5 is simply not 8x stronger, gpu wise.

Edit: spiderman remaster on ps5 in perf mode can drop to 1440p (yes i know assets quality in some areas improved but still;p)

I just looked at a couple of DF GOW videos and not only does the PS5 version have better settings like AO, reflections, LODs, shadows, textures, additional lighting in cutscenes etc. , the quality and performance modes on PS5 have differences of their own. You just cant compare medium vs high or ultra settings to gauge the GPU performance. They have to be identical when comparing GPUs.

Recently, someone in this thread posted that GOW's 30 fps quality mode on PS5 has been unlocked and now runs at 40-50 fps at native 4k. Just like what we saw with the uncharted 4 remaster which after the vrr patch runs the native 4k 30 fps mode between 40-50 fps despite the higher settings. Taking 4k 50 fps as the peak theoretical gpu performance of the PS5, we are producing 7x more pixels per frame compared to the base 1080p 30 fps PS4 version. Thats very close to the 8.3x raw performance after IPC gains. pair the settings back to PS4 settings and you get close to the 8x increase.

Again, its hard to compare games like Spiderman because they have way higher settings. it's not just better textures, they improved traffic density and increased the number of NPCs which completely skews the GPU load and brings the CPU in the picture. Thats why i gave Death Stranding example because it does hit native 4k 60 fps in most scenes outside of boss fights while also pushing higher textures. An exact 8x increase in raw performance.

I think the ps5 performs like a 2080 in most AMD favored games. My 2080 let me run pretty much every single PS4 game at native 4k 60 fps. The only time i had to reduce resolutions was when i tried to run rt or up the settings to ultra in games like anthem.

P.S I also dont like taking the lowest DRS values to make a determination of a consoles PEAK performance. Tflops literally stand for peak theoretical floating point performance. The way alex goes out of his way to find the lowest 1% drops in his games is ridiculous lol. If we are using tflops numbers then we need to look at peak performance. PS5 is roughly 8x more powerful which I agree is not enough nowadays but thats still a pretty decent GPU leap all things considered. mesh shaders are supposed to provide that extra performance boost and we are seeing that in AW2 in comparison to GPUs like 1080 Ti which is equivalent to a 2080 which is equivalent to a PS5. GOW was also leveraging some of the machine learning tech in the PS5 to boost its reconstruction queries.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Alan Wake 2 PT on vs off. Basically adds ray traced reflections. The rest looks virtually identical most of the time. I have RT reflections on which is rather cheap in this game. only 20% performance cost compared to SSR maxed out. I can live with that.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Callisto protagonist smack both in the head.

I gave CP the ol' college try the other day on PS Plus. It didn't deserve the praise it got from DF and others.

I can't believe they spent $200m on such a piece of crap. If you're not going to bother trying in the facial animation dept. then don't bother throwing money into face rendering.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I gave CP the ol' college try the other day on PS Plus. It didn't deserve the praise it got from DF and others.

I can't believe they spent $200m on such a piece of crap. If you're not going to bother trying in the facial animation dept. then don't bother throwing money into face rendering.
I don't think it deserve big praises except for the 2 protagonist faces that are best in the business, aw2 can dream about callisto face rendering.

all the other characters are a notch or 2 inferior (the details on the suit is super top notch tho)
The-Callisto-Protocol-Leon-Farris_03.jpg

The game is trash otherwise, yeah.

Last edited:

Senua

Gold Member
Is this joker serious? He really thinks this is soooo impressive looking???

And y'all were giving TLOU Pt. 1 in-game model such a hard time...

L9b3Pbh.jpg

Yea not sure why Alex thought that was a good shot lol. But people were giving TLoU2 in game models a hard time not P1 unless I missed it. Because tit-wanks were saying TLoU2 models were better than Alan Wake, but then of course only posted cinematic model shots

SABRE220

Yes, this is with lumen. Upon investigating the cvars it appears to be software lumen (r.Lumen.HardwareRayTracing is diabled) so its not lumen in full force.
I think the lumen in fortnite on the cosnoles is also the software version but the quality and coverage is much better. I think the studio could definitely have done more with lumen even the software version.

SlimySnake

So i'm not alone in thinking that clothes are ND weakness uh?!
ive been ranting about for two years in this thread. no you are not alone.

Yea not sure why Alex thought that was a good shot lol. But people were giving TLoU2 in game models a hard time not P1 unless I missed it. Because tit-wanks were saying TLoU2 models were better than Alan Wake, but then of course only posted cinematic model shots
Part 1 has the same issue. ND character models during gameplay look nothing like their cutscenes. And TLOU1 was supposed to feature cutscene quality character models. I dont know why they do this. its a third person game so they shouldnt be taking shortcuts there.

yMVGu6k.gif
FY9pdjVXwAEUDCY

You can get them to look better if you get them up close to the camera like this but during general gameplay their character models and especially textures on clothes look trash.

E181UK8WYAQlyTy

This is what aloy looks like during gameplay. no need to zoom in or go into photomode. thats just what she looks like at all times.

F90Rx6OWIAEaZrP

GymWolf

Gold Member
Hero light may be the only light tech that i give 2 fucks about if aloy is the end result, not strictly realistic but cg looking at any given time.

The dude behind enjoying aloy's bum seal the deal.

They just have to fix her fucking hairs.

Last edited:

ckstine

ive been ranting about for two years in this thread. no you are not alone.

Part 1 has the same issue. ND character models during gameplay look nothing like their cutscenes. And TLOU1 was supposed to feature cutscene quality character models. I dont know why they do this. its a third person game so they shouldnt be taking shortcuts there.

yMVGu6k.gif
FY9pdjVXwAEUDCY

You can get them to look better if you get them up close to the camera like this but during general gameplay their character models and especially textures on clothes look trash.

E181UK8WYAQlyTy

This is what aloy looks like during gameplay. no need to zoom in or go into photomode. thats just what she looks like at all times.

F90Rx6OWIAEaZrP
Fuck, man, I forgot how ugly p1 joel was. Looks like telltale or something.

Senua

Gold Member
There's no excuse not to use the best models available on a PS5 only game, we all know TLOUP1 is a glorified PS4 game anyway

GymWolf

Gold Member
Photo mode / cutscene / character viewer. How's the actual game?

This is The Last of Us 1 remake:

F-CJSz9XoAAc5h6

F-CJP5yW4AAMsnk

And this is TLOU 2 on PS5:

F98ZJ7wWMAAM-Vw
No dude the problem is that clothes look meh even in cutscene, we are not even comparing ingame.

I mean meh for ND level and expectations.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
No dude the problem is that clothes look meh even in cutscene, we are not even comparing ingame.

Ah okay, if my memory serves me right, UE4 has better clothing but I'm not going to install 124GB just to find out.

Anyway, going back to TLOU1 remake after playing Alan Wake 2 is rough, game aged like milk.

SlimySnake

So i'm not alone in thinking that clothes are ND weakness uh?!

I swear unchy4 clothes looked better...

edit: yeah kinda

frank-tzeng-highres-1254099224201409-270121.jpg

9x2yyy1z0kt41.jpg

Uncharted4-2.jpg
Just saw your edit.

Clothes look fine in TLOU2 and TLOU1's cutscenes too. problem is the gameplay model which is what Alex was talking about. hero lighting might save the day because it kinda does during cutscenes. They just downgrade everything from character models to cloth textures and it turns into visual soap. nothing stands out.

d0e132cfa3a0930473dfd9fe089f0b385c7dd804.gif
0b8ac91ebd0750d6efbc6375287d21a5866f1078.gif
4ddd8ff0ec5607bf67f0314450e812247e72328e.gif

GymWolf

Gold Member
Nah dude, i always noticed something wrong even in cutscenes, joel jacket always rubbed me in the wrong way.

Also his face, i don't like anything of tlou2\remake joel.

It's like his face didn't get the right upgrade from ps3 to ps4, maybe it's just me...

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Photo mode / cutscene / character viewer. How's the actual game?

This is The Last of Us 1 remake:

F-CJSz9XoAAc5h6

F-CJP5yW4AAMsnk

And this is TLOU 2 on PS5:

F98ZJ7wWMAAM-Vw
I remain convinced that despite what ND says, the gameplay levels were done by VSG while ND was brought on to do the cutscenes. Cutscenes in TLOU1 look next gen. Gameplay looks worse than TLOU1. Lighting is nowhere near the levels of TLOU2. character models and asset quality is mostly the same. They lifted some of the assets straight out of tlou part 2 so that makes sense.

Nah dude, i always noticed something wrong even in cutscenes, joel jacket always rubbed me in the wrong way.

Also his face, i don't like anything of tlou2\remake joel.

It's like his face didn't get the right upgrade from ps3 to ps4, maybe it's just me...
In terms of fidelity, the upgrade is there as you can see below. But i agree, i dont like what they did to his face. Especially in TLOU2 where they turned him into a beta bitch. TLOU1 is a bit better with the return of broad shoulders and a more defined jawline, but he looked off in every single cutscene. I have that game memorized so as soon as I saw the 'It is over Tess' and 'You are not my daughter' lines in the remake, i mentally checked out because the new model simply isnt my Joel. The iconic ending shot of Ellie is also butchered in the sequel with her expressions simply not matching the intent of the original. Then again, this stuff happens when you redesign the character and reanimate facial expressions that were meticulously hand animated only 10 years ago. However, there is no doubt the fidelity is increased massively for both Ellie and Joel, maybe not two generation leaps but definitely a huge one from PS3 to PS4.

4daedc0454f2ed1630f12b27f6c01ca7bbbd990a.gif
2ee02e9e70c7269465150db032aaaed23a3cf7ce.gif

P.S You have to remember that the cutscenes in TLOU PS3 were pre-rendered on a render farm ND built using three PS3 ducktaped together whereas these cutscenes are now realtime.

Senua

Gold Member
TLOU1 remake was so disappointing visually.
Yet the Sony bros were jizzing all over it on release. I think they'd be happy with cross gen PS4 based games forever! They seem to herald them as the second coming of christ every time yo. Crazy times we live in

UwwFzsx.jpg

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
TLOU1 remake was so disappointing visually.

Not only visually. It's probably the safest, laziest high profile remake ever made. Look at stuff like Dead Space, Resident Evil 2, hell even Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2. Gameplay of TLOU1 remake is so basic compared to TLOU2. But of course they were too lazy to go and adjust levels to support all the advancement from TLOU2 and just copied/pasted everything.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Not only visually. It's probably the safest, laziest high profile remake ever made. Look at stuff like Dead Space, Resident Evil 2, hell even Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2. Gameplay of TLOU1 remake is so basic compared to TLOU2. But of course they were too lazy to go and adjust levels to support all the advancement from TLOU2 and just copied/pasted everything.
And yet, the moment to moment gameplay in TLOU still stomps all over RE4 and 2.
reg.png
They didnt even have to update it.

All Leon can do is fucking roundhouse kick. Thats groundbreaking?
mj.png
Of course they had to upgrade those games more, they were all outdated as fuck, especially next to TLOU 2.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
reg.png

mj.png
Of course they had to upgrade those games more, they were all outdated as fuck, especially next to TLOU 2.

TLOU1 remake feels outdated compared to their previous game. What are you on about?

Represent.

TLOU1 remake feels outdated compared to their previous game. What are you on about?
Its an updated version of TLOU 1, that ND didn't even make themselves - I see it as a simple bonus. Im glad they didnt waste time updating the game, sick of remakes.
Put that effort into the new SP project

SlimySnake

reg.png

mj.png
RE4 literally takes a big shit all over TLOU Part 1.

The remake effectively killed the original for me. It reminded me how dated it feels to RE2, TLOU2 and now RE4.

Hell, im enjoying Dead Space a lot more than TLOU1. it actually feels like some effort was put into it besides just updating textures.

Represent.

RE4 literally takes a big shit all over TLOU Part 1.

The remake effectively killed the original for me. It reminded me how dated it feels to RE2, TLOU2 and now RE4.

Hell, im enjoying Dead Space a lot more than TLOU1. it actually feels like some effort was put into it besides just updating textures.
Super hard disagree.

For me the story alone makes it a timeless classic. The gameplay hasnt been surpassed by anything in the genre either other than the sequel for me.

7It says "developed by Naughty Dog".

It's lazy and feels ancient to play, stop defending it.
James Cameron put his name on Terminator: Dark Fate.

Means nothing - The game was developed by another studio, ND oversaw it, and took over development at the last minute, and then marketed the game as their own. Check the Jason Schrieir leak on it. None of the big guns at ND had anything to do with it, it was literally an entirely different studio. Sony put the Naughty Dog name on it so it would sell.

And no, it doens't feel ancient to play. Name a 3rd person action game that has a better Stealth/action fusion other than MGS5 and TLOU 2. You can't.

SlimySnake

Name a 3rd person action game that has a better Stealth/action fusion other than MGS5 and TLOU 2. You can't.
RE2, RE3, RE4, Days Gone, Dead Space remake all play better.

TLOU Part 1 wouldve been better had they added the enhanced melee, dodge, prone, and enemy variety from TLOU2. They didnt so it feels dated like a PS3 game. Every encounter was boring because its literally the same thing as the PS3 era. RE2 and Re4 dont have this problem because they redid every single encounter.

TLOU Part 1 plays better than Plagues Tale and hitman but hitman is not an action game, and being better than trash like Plagues Tale isnt an accomplishment. TLOU1 was great in 2013 and way better than splinter cell and MGS4. Post MGSV, TLOU2, and Re2, combat feels dated and encounters simply bad.

ND thought that if copy pasta worked for SOTC and Demon Souls, it would work for TLOU1 and yes, cutscenes and storytelling is still top notch and better than TLOU2, Days Gone and RE could ever dream to be, but its clear that the gameplay, level design and combat were not timeless like Demon Souls and SOTC.

P.S I can promise you Remedy isnt going to copy pasta Max Payne 1 and 2 with Alan Wake 2 graphics. They will be rebooting it from the ground up. What ND did is NOT how you do remakes.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
James Cameron put his name on Terminator: Dark Fate.

Means nothing - The game was developed by another studio, ND oversaw it, and took over development at the last minute, and then marketed the game as their own. Check the Jason Schrieir leak on it. None of the big guns at ND had anything to do with it, it was literally an entirely different studio. Sony put the Naughty Dog name on it so it would sell.

So I guess all these people are not from Naughty Dog and it's just one big cover-up? Because average Joe knows who the fuck Naughty Dog is and it makes any difference what studio they put on the box. Ohohooo, big cover up.

tinfoil-hat.gif

(timestamped)

And no, it doens't feel ancient to play. Name a 3rd person action game that has a better Stealth/action fusion other than MGS5 and TLOU 2. You can't.

diddy-staring.gif

Better stealth? Are you for real? Stealth in TLOU is as basic as it gets. Hell, even PS4 era Ubisoft games like Watch Dogs 2 or AC Unity offer way, way more options for a stealthy approach. This is TLOU: you enter an arena with obviously placed cover like it's Gears of War 1 and you throw a bottle to distract someone while checking your x-ray vision every 5 seconds to see trough walls. Wow, such gameplay.

(timestamped)

And gunplay is nothing to brag about as well, it was surpassed by virtually every 3rd person game, including these released by Naughty Dog (Uncharted 4, spin off, TLOU2).

TLOU1 remake is lazy and archaic.

SKYF@ll

yeah, same thing has happened me and all of my sony bros from back in the day. we all used to build our PCs late in the gen but now that we have more disposable income and arent struggling high school/college students, we had enough money to go build a 2x more powerful PC at the start of the gen. Thats why i kept saying sony should release a $599 14-15 tflops console but they went with a cheap $399 10 tflops console to target god knows who. The average age of gamers is 39 right now. we can afford a $599 console when we are paying $1000 for cellphones every two years, and wasting $6 for starbucks coffee and $10 on avacado toast every morning. Times have changed, sony didnt realize this and lost us all to PC.

This year alone i bought on PC Hogwarts, RE4, TLOU1, Star Wars (rented on ea pro), Starfield, Forza, Dead Space (rented on gamepass) and now Alan wake 2. With Sony and MS now taking 30% on digital sales instead of their previous 10% royalty fees on physical sales, they are losing hundreds of dollars per customer on a yearly basis. Andrew House, the previous Sony CEO knew this and got the Pro out by 2016. That forced me to delay my PC purchase until 2019.

Another crucial thing is Sony's own internal numbers showing how important hardcore gamers are to their business. They found that the people who buy consoles in the launch year end up spending an average of $1,700 in their eco system compared to just $700 for everyone else. Sony and MS have both basically lost those thousands of dollars despite selling us the consoles. Which is basically their business since consoles are not sold for profit.
Even if the specs of PS5 and Xbox Series X are the same as RX-6700XT (13.2TF). . .
Alan Wake 2: 1440p(non RT) 49-54fps, 1440p(RT) 15-17fps

Nowadays, I think RDNA2 is not powerful enough to play the latest AAA games.
There is little return for increasing the CU and raising the price.

Top Bottom