• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

shamoomoo

Is it controversial to say that robocop city looks better from ground view than sp2?

F-MnJK0WkAAEBw8

I mean controversial for anyone not called chiefdata.
Why? Because it's gray out? I guess Infamous Second Son is next gen on the PS4.
infamous_second_son___downtown_seattle_by_jzpotter_d7abfmq-375w-2x.jpg

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Baked lighting? or Dynamic?

If by dynamic you mean if the time of day is progressing then no, there are few presets for different time of day and it changes as the story progresses. Same as in Alan Wake 2 and Spider-Man 2.

The environments are static though? what type of physics are in play? If it's just window dressing then I wouldn't find it that impressive unless there's a lot going on enemies etc?

No, environments are not static. You can destroy more of it than in any recent game. You can lift objects like benches, bins, CRT monitors and throw them.

the game has full scale destruction indoors. you can blow up every single object in the levels including walls. gifs were posted here earlier.

dont think you can do anything to these buildings but its not like you can do that to spiderman 2 buildings or in FF16, star wars, dead space remake, or even Alan Wake 2. downplaying a game's visuals because its not doing physics when no one else is doing physics is bizarre. it looks a generation ahead of almost every game out there.
That's all I was asking if it has destructible environments in-door then it looks very impressive. I might get it then, cheers!

GymWolf

Gold Member
Of course not every location has that level of destruction and of course it is nothing new compared to control, stranglehold and many other games with indoors destruction, and definitely a couple of notches inferior to last 2 red faction games and a galaxy away from something like teardown.

But it is nice that an AA can deliver that with good graphic fidelity.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
DF did some tests on Spiderman using a 1.5 GBps ssd and it ran all the setpieces and portal sequences just fine......

Apparently the PS5 IO and CPU is doing most of the heavy lifting. They didnt have to go all out and get a 5.5 GBps ssd. I wonder if they couldve settled for a much slower ssd and spent the savings on a more powerful GPU. Not even their biggest games are utilizing it. Just a waste of money.

shamoomoo

yep. next gen. looks just like Robocop and the matrix.

F7zsksHXAAAZTiA

F7zsk_pWoAEDM60

F7zslWKWsAAeW45
Lol? I posted the cherry picked image simple because it's comparable and that particular setting looks good in Robo Cop.

Like Gymwolf, I'm only pointing out a particular setting. It would be a sad day if a 10-year old game looked as good as a new game on a new engine.🙄🙄🙄

sinnergy

DF did some tests on Spiderman using a 1.5 GBps ssd and it ran all the setpieces and portal sequences just fine......

Apparently the PS5 IO and CPU is doing most of the heavy lifting. They didnt have to go all out and get a 5.5 GBps ssd. I wonder if they couldve settled for a much slower ssd and spent the savings on a more powerful GPU. Not even their biggest games are utilizing it. Just a waste of money.
But it’s great! It loads 2 seconds faster ! And the throughput is amazing right 🤣

but on a serious note .. we have t really seen next-gen engines. So who knows.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Of course not every location has that level of destruction and of course it is nothing new compared to control, stranglehold and many other games with indoors destruction, and definitely a couple of notches inferior to last 2 red faction games and a galaxy away from something like teardown.

But it is nice that an AA can deliver that with good graphic fidelity.

Amen to that.

Why? Because it's gray out? I guess Infamous Second Son is next gen on the PS4.
infamous_second_son___downtown_seattle_by_jzpotter_d7abfmq-375w-2x.jpg

Amazing game for its time and one of the first "holy-shit" moments on PS4 but c'mon that's a cheap attempt at downplaying stunning UE5 lighting.

My direct captures from PS5:

F-Q9yscX0AAU0hQ

F-Q92JlWYAAn65h

shamoomoo

Amen to that.

Amazing game for its time and one of the first "holy-shit" moments on PS4 but c'mon that's a cheap attempt at downplaying stunning UE5 lighting.

My direct captures from PS5:

F-Q9yscX0AAU0hQ

F-Q92JlWYAAn65h
You are seeing what you want to see. It's almost difficult to fudge up a cloudy with high res textures and good enough lighting.

and gain what on the GPU side? a few extra FPS?

Xbox first parties are hardly a visual showcase either.

SlimySnake

and gain what on the GPU side? a few extra FPS?

Xbox first parties are hardly a visual showcase either.
Sure. or more pixels. 20% extra pixels could mean the difference between fsr2 balanced vs fsr2 quality which would fix a lot of AW2's shimmering problems.

Xbox is just poorly designed. its not acting like a 12 tflops console in a lot of the games for a variety of reasons. I wouldnt really look at that as much as PC GPUs that are scaling much better with tflops.

Again, anything is better than nothing. We are 3 years in and the two games supposed to take full advantage of the ssd dont need it for much whereas the few extra fps wouldve impacted every single game out there.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
It's controversial because no one is talking about it and is giving Insomniac a pass. Not DF, Not NX Gamer, not IGN or Gamespot. Even in this thread which prides itself upon next gen standards it is not being talked about enough. As far as I am concerned, it should be the only topic of discussion. I.e., how the fuck did we get to this point where THE biggest Sony exclusive of all time just got shown up by a no name polish studio.

Digital Foundry has 4 videos about Forza Motorsport on their first page. FOUR. Because Forza Motorsport is such a next-gen graphical showcase. Build from the ground up using assets from Forza Motorsport 4 that launched on 360. They are officially clowns. Nothing about RoboCop. I bet that these Polish devs would love to talk about the game. Get them on your podcast. Do an interview. Technology breakdown. Console Vs. PC comparison. But nooooo, let's do a half an hour video about latest lazy port of Metal Gear that uses open source emulators and looks worse than OG PS1 version. 🤡

rofif

Banned
yep. next gen. looks just like Robocop and the matrix.

F7zsksHXAAAZTiA

F7zsk_pWoAEDM60

F7zslWKWsAAeW45
As I’ve said yesterday. These ps4 games can look amazing. I always thought infamous 2nd son looked amazing. It is 4k60 on ps5 too.

And it looks amazing until you make it to any rooftops. The LODs are like 10 meters.

Neilg

. I wonder if they couldve settled for a much slower ssd and spent the savings on a more powerful GPU. Not even their biggest games are utilizing it. Just a waste of money.

Problem is that would've held back next gen.
I've posted a few times about how the SSD demands a big shift in the tools used to make games, it'll be a long time before it's really contributing in a big way beyond slightly faster loads.
Yeah, for the first half of this gen, they could have, based on what's been done do far, but not a great long term strategy.

Also this thread is fucking insane these days. People posting differences in gamma and color as if it's tech related. I skimmed the last 10 pages it's honestly one of the worst discussions I've ever seen on an Internet forum.

RaduN

Good chance we're seeing Death Stranding 2 gameplay next month during the TGA's, what's everyone thinking? will they deliver the next-gen goodness. The first trailer was extremely impressive.
Most chances are it will be absolutely mind blowing, and i'm not only talking gfx tech.
My most anticipated game of the last 15 years or so.

SlimySnake

Problem is that would've held back next gen.
I've posted a few times about how the SSD demands a big shift in the tools used to make games, it'll be a long time before it's really contributing in a big way beyond slightly faster loads.
Yeah, for the first half of this gen, they could have, based on what's been done do far, but not a great long term strategy.
Im not saying no ssd at all. Just do go overboard like a 5.5 GBps ssd. If you are trying to cut costs in a $399 console, cut costs smartly. MS went with 2.4 GBps, that wouldve been more than enough for both ratchet and spiderman. hell, a sata ssd is fine for the matrix demo. thats 500 MBps.

5.5 GBps was overkill. Not sure how much it cost them but even if it was a mere $20 extra dollars, i wouldve rather they put that towards a bigger GPU.

GymWolf

Gold Member

Imagine how it look in 4k.

The 69 metascore for this one is never gonna be not funny.

The game had everything:

The most heavy and realistic depiction of free flow with no bullshit teleport between enemies and arguably more violent and hard hitting than any batman game.

Fun driving and car combat.

Fun progression for both melee and car gadgets

Decent bleak mad max plot with a bleak finale

Low key one of the best sidekick from ps4 generation, honestly if you don't love cum bucket, you probably don't have a soul or blood in your veins.

Some INCREDIBLE graphical feature

Last edited:

Neilg

Im not saying no ssd at all. Just do go overboard like a 5.5 GBps ssd. If you are trying to cut costs in a $399 console, cut costs smartly. MS went with 2.4 GBps, that wouldve been more than enough for both ratchet and spiderman. hell, a sata ssd is fine for the matrix demo. thats 500 MBps.

5.5 GBps was overkill. Not sure how much it cost them but even if it was a mere $20 extra dollars, i wouldve rather they put that towards a bigger GPU.
But the point I was making is nobody is using the 5.5gbps yet. If you half ass it this gen just to get faster loading, then next gen when it hits 5.5gbps, all the work currently being done on engines to really tap into the benefits could actually start. Meaning you wouldn't see the results until the end of the ps6 gen.
You haven't even seen the real gains from it yet and you're saying you'd rather have pushed it back an entire generation?

I also trust that the cost savings beyond half arsing it and applying that elsewhere was weighed up carefully by a lot of very talented engineers, and a decision was made based on a lot more information and experience that either of us have.

Last edited:

Msamy

I just can't wait to see ND new ip , SSM new ip , horizon 3 ,more of death stranding 2 and phantom blade zero , really hope that they will take full advantage of ps5 pro

SlimySnake

But the point I was making is nobody is using the 5.5gbps yet. If you half ass it this gen just to get faster loading, then next gen when it hits 5.5gbps, all the work currently being done on engines to really tap into the benefits could actually start. Meaning you wouldn't see the results until the end of the ps6 gen.
You haven't even seen the real gains from it yet and you're saying you'd rather have pushed it back an entire generation?
If we are not going to use it until next gen then yes, id rather we focus on hardware enhancements that will benefit everyone THIS gen.

Neilg

If we are not going to use it until next gen then yes, id rather we focus on hardware enhancements that will benefit everyone THIS gen.
But then next gen you won't use it until the gen after. It takes most of a generation to completely change the way game engines handle data. It's an inevitable process that won't suddenly happen quicker just because you keep kicking it down the curb.

What you're saying is you'd rather focus on short term gains at the expense of something more transformative long term. And I think you're wildly overestimating how much budget and power that decision would even free up. More GPU causes issues with heat & power and there's a chance they were already maxed out without doing something stupid like a 3nm process and $1k+ consoles. What you're proposing to slow down the SSD for more gpu is not an equal exchange.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

But then next gen you won't use it until the gen after. It takes most of a generation to completely change the way game engines handle data. It's an inevitable process that won't suddenly happen quicker just because you keep kicking it down the curb.
Why? All current gen consoles and PCs have ssds today. They can build their engines around ssds today, and most devs are doing this already. They can easily scale up next gen when 5.5 GBps becomes the standard. For now, stick with 2.4 GBps as the minimum. Next gen is 5 years away and yes, it will have its own cross gen period until 2031. Why did we have to gut the PS5's GPU in 2020 to worry about something no one will use until 2031?

Last edited:

Neilg

. Why did we have to gut the PS5's GPU in 2020 to worry about something no one will use until 2031?

Is this what they did though? You made a wild assumption and are now spouting it as fact.
You're also assuming the step down would have been marginal. What if the cost savings only comes in if they drop all the way to 500mbps? What's your opinion there? You can't keep making up compromises that you've got no information on and deciding that it's not that bad of a compromise. Clearly it was otherwise they would have done it.

Last edited:

ckstine

Aight, this might sound kinda wacky, but I was replaying rtx marbles the other night, and comparing it to the aw2 path tracing. It really goes to show how much more complex and realistic path tracing is, because things like the diner scene in aw2, and many other scenes with glass and caustics show how much better a full AAA 20+ hour long game can look than a 3 minute demo that was billed as the best looking thing ever like 2 years ago. It's crazy how much nvidia has allowed us to advance in the last few years from rt to pt. Can't help but wonder where we go from here. AW2 is just seriously goddamn impressive.

rofif

Banned
Aight, this might sound kinda wacky, but I was replaying rtx marbles the other night, and comparing it to the aw2 path tracing. It really goes to show how much more complex and realistic path tracing is, because things like the diner scene in aw2, and many other scenes with glass and caustics show how much better a full AAA 20+ hour long game can look than a 3 minute demo that was billed as the best looking thing ever like 2 years ago. It's crazy how much nvidia has allowed us to advance in the last few years from rt to pt. Can't help but wonder where we go from here. AW2 is just seriously goddamn impressive.
well obviously. Path tracing is just brute forcing graphics. It's really a waste of performance but it looks great.
The Marble demo was less about RT in the end but more about incredibly high quality assets.
Is there compiled marble demo? I wanted to try it out but I cant be arsed to install nvidia thing

ckstine

well obviously. Path tracing is just brute forcing graphics. It's really a waste of performance but it looks great.
The Marble demo was less about RT in the end but more about incredibly high quality assets.
Is there compiled marble demo? I wanted to try it out but I cant be arsed to install nvidia thing
Luckily aw2 has hq assets as well lol. I don't believe there is a compiled one, you just have to download the little nvidia omniverse thing or whatever it's called.

GymWolf

Gold Member
giphy.gif

Every fucking rtx demo always has incredible asset quality and people act like it's just rtx sauce, gtfo.

SlimySnake

Do people think that? Weird. To me RT is amazing because it can make a potato game like Minecraft look good.
only because devs put zero effort into lighting it properly. We have seen how little of an impact RT makes in games with static lighting like AW2.

Hell, both John and Alex today dismissed the rumored TLOU2 remaster even if they add RT to it because adding RT on top of a baked static time of day games adds very little.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Do people think that? Weird. To me RT is amazing because it can make a potato game like Minecraft look good.
Do people think that? Weird. To me raytraced minecraft still looks like dogshit minecraft, same for quake 2 or any old game with rtx

Last edited:

setoman

Seriously is there a bigger SCAM studio than Insomniac that gets away with absolute robbery? They goes around bragging that they are ND and Rockstar when they're barely a C-tier studio. They have completely brainwashed everyone into thinking they and their engine is doing something special with the SSD/IO. They're everywhere claiming "ssd ssd ssd ssd".

When they are using the SSD the exact same way everyone else. The only difference being they they use low quality asset and textures.
DF are such a scam marketing channel now that even when they debunk Insominac claims, they turn it into "oh its not the power of the SSD more like the power of the entire I/O stack".

Shame on you DF. When did you stop doing objective research and journalism?
Why is Insominac always begging you to interview them after each game so you can shill for them?

Think about, almost everytime you see a Insominac game mentioned (for example SM2), within the same post is "SSD" and "IO".
"OMG WHAT THEY ARE DOING WITH THE SSD IS AMAZING".

Its pure LIES!
THEY ARE NOT!

The studios who are actually doing something special with the SSD. Who are actually ultilizing the SSD within their engine and rendering pipeline. The studio whose game uses the SSD more than any other game. The studio whose use of the SSD actually matched the fake hype from 2020 about "You unload and load high res textures as you turn" as Cerny puts it "what's if the SSD is so fast that as the player is turning around its possible to load textures for everything behind the player in that split second."

The studio does it and says nothing about it. No bragging. No BS "I'm the best" interviews.
I dare you guys to show me one post in this thread or in this entire forum that mentioned
Alan Wake 2 and "SSD/IO" in the same post?

NOT A SINGLE ONE.

Yet they use the SSD more than any other game. This is why the assets and textures are so high res.
When you swap to the mind place, it uses ~2.8 GB/s.
Just walking around and turning uses ~2 GB/s.
And its doing this with no IO stutters.

WHY WONT DF Investigate that? No let's PR for insomniac, they're so great, they are the best.

The scam of insomniac is so huge i remember studios like Ubisoft and COD get destroyed and it became a huge controversy for reusing a single texture/asset/animation. Yes A SINGLE. Yet insomniac is the only game studio in HISTORY to have reused the exact same city/assets/textures/animations "word for word, bar for bar" 3 times! They get away with absolute robbery. And now they have brainwashed the entire industry to make them look like some SSD/IO hot-shot. All so they can flex like they're ND or something.

Remedy made Cerny's dream come true, yet Insomniac gets all the credits.

"What's if the SSD is so fast that as the player is turning around its possible to load textures for everything behind the player in that split second."

U1Wb724.png

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
only because devs put zero effort into lighting it properly. We have seen how little of an impact RT makes in games with static lighting like AW2.

Hell, both John and Alex today dismissed the rumored TLOU2 remaster even if they add RT to it because adding RT on top of a baked static time of day games adds very little.

Ray tracing would work wonders in TLOU2. I replayed part of that open section in Seattle (is it Seattle?) a couple of days ago and it looked extremely dated. Having those nice individual blades of grass cast shadow would immediately transform it. And that's just one little thing, there's a huge room for improvement in that game.

Do people think that? Weird. To me raytraced minecraft still looks like dogshit minecraft, same for quake 2 or any old game with rtx

I don't know about people, but yeah I do think that. Lighting was always the most important thing for me.

SlimySnake

Ray tracing would work wonders in TLOU2. I replayed part of that open section in Seattle (is it Seattle?) a couple of days ago and it looked extremely dated. Having those nice individual blades of grass cast shadow would immediately transform it. And that's just one little thing, there's a huge room for improvement in that game.
Yeah, that should help with the foliage in those levels for sure. i remember posting about those missing shadows earlier this year.

but again, very specific and its not an issue in other areas because they simply use high quality shadows. a native ps5 version will let them use higher quality shadows in those open world areas. horizon doesnt have that issue with foliage missing shadows, does it? it doesnt have RT shadows.

Top Bottom