• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
It is pretty cool, right?

Fa0iCij.jpg

i5pnyBO.jpg

9K0csQp.jpg
And this is why i wanted PS studios to start using UE5. if a c tier developer can do this with no budget then insomniac can too. Just let Epic do all the heavy lifting with the engine, leverage quixel megascans for all the assets, and free up your artists to do character models and other unique story mission assets. it would be perfect for insomniac who push out a new game every 2 years.

Last edited:
And this is why i wanted PS studios to start using UE5. if a c tier developer can do this with no budget then insomniac can too. Just let Epic do all the heavy lifting with the engine, leverage quixel megascans for all the assets, and free up your artists to do character models and other unique story mission assets. it would be perfect for insomniac who push out a new game every 2 years.
Your post here makes me intrigued for Sony Bends UE5 game

SlimySnake

SlimySnake SlimySnake

Regarding your previous thought, I think we’re taking our eye off the ball here a bit with this thread. Missing the point. Losing the plot. It’s not about whether the last gen graphical beasts were PERFECT renderings at all times. It’s about them still looking good today. Still trading blows with and in some ways surpassing current gen games. (We all know SM2 character models are worse than say Order 1886)

I think what you’ll find is all these games you named that you nitpicked and found issues with, Batman, Uncharted, driveclub, infamous and some others you named i don’t remember them all, is that they took a shit on any PS3 game ever released. There was no ambiguity. No argument about that. Current games aren’t taking a shit on these PS4 games yet. And it’s not “oh! Graphics have plateaued!” NO. That’s complete bullshit because we have not one but 2 examples of tech running REAL TIME on ps5 (matrix, valley of the ancient) that do take a shit on any ps4 game ever released and do showcase a generational leap. It’s just it’s harder to do that now so SSM, Insomniac, GG and all these devs out here would rather toil in last gen tech and sell millions off grand recognition then try to excel visually. They’d rather favor performance mode and appease game journalists than try to deliver a true next gen leap

The room for improvement is there. Take driveclub, or Arkham knight, or RDR2, or days gone. These looks like shit compared to like love death robots, or the new planet of the apes movies, or the blur studios cgi Batman trailers. These a huuuuuuuge gulf between point a and b and these devs aren’t even trying to deliver. That’s the conversation here I think
It’s true that none of these games blow away the last Gen benchmarks like tlou2 and uncharted 4, but i was never making that point. I was simply saying that the graphics advancements has not stagnated as it was suggested.

I also think it’s unfair to compare the output of one Gen against the other without directly comparing the games created by the studios. Let’s face it, tlou1 is not the best nd can do. By this time last Gen, uncharted 4 was out but nd has not released their next Gen only game this Gen. Neither has rocksteasy, gg, crytek and cd project red. They have all either been handicapped by cross Gen games or haven’t had their turn yet.

I was thinking about remedy now taking the crown when for a good decade or so, it was Sony pretty much cleaning house every single year. Remedy’s first game last Gen was quantum break, looked stunning but was forgotten a month later when uncharted came out. Would Alan wake 2 get this much praise if nd had their first true next Gen game out by now or if gg had their kzsf moment? Or would it have been another quantum break situation? When they were beaten to market by kzsf, ryse, Witcher 3, Batman ak and the order.

Im pretty happy that we have gotten what we have received this Gen from studios that are almost never talked about when it comes to pushing graphics fidelity. Ff16 devs used to make ps3 mmos. Bethesda sucks at graphics. Robocop devs are a nobody. Even bluepoint and insomniac weren’t a graphics power house this time last Gen. Insomniac had sunset overdrive, and bp was porting over titanfall to xbox 360 in the early days of ps4. The fact that these b devs have given us great graphics is pretty amazing.

Remedy is the first of the big boys to actually deliver a next Gen game. Massive is next. Kojipro, and rockstar are next year, maybe the year after. Nd, ssm, gg, Crystal dynamics and cd project are the people who set the bar and they have been stuck making remakes, dlcs and cross Gen games.

Msamy

I am not with you In that regard I think decima and naughty dog engines can have better graphics than ue5 if they implement rt and mesh shading technologies, also I think they may add new other which we don't know currently

SlimySnake

I am not with you In that regard I think decima and naughty dog engines can have better graphics than ue5 if they implement rt and mesh shading technologies, also I think they may add new other which we don't know currently
nd and gg will go above and beyond, and add their own tech just like remedy and massive have done. I’m talking about smaller studios like insomniac who aren’t given 5 years to make one game like nd, ssm and gg. Or maybe insomniac just doesn’t want to take 5 years to make one game.

For smaller studios, the focus should be making the game. Not adding support for mesh shaders, rt, and dynamic gi systems, let alone capturing and modeling a massive new city for every game. It’s clear insomniac isn’t up to the task. Same is probably true for sucker punch which is a smallish 100 person studio. Insomniac has 500 devs but split across 3 teams. Their tech director has worked on all 3 games in the last 3 years. Guy has done a remarkable job adding rt and ssd support but his team clearly needed more time.

Last edited:

DanielG165

I really hope that the final version of Hellblade 2 will look as good as all of the footage has indicated. Starfield is impressive in terms of its scope and interior quality, and Flight Sim is Flight Sim, but I really want to see a first party title show off what the Series X could potentially be capable of when stretched, like Rift Apart and SM2 have done with the PS5. I don’t think these $500 consoles have secret sauce or anything, but I do want to see what the SX can do when it’s taken full advantage of. Alan Wake 2 is a good example, but I’m curious what first party studios will do.

Let’s see what the likes of Hellblade 2 and Fable have to offer.

CGNoire

The facial animations during combat were sublime. You can pause the game mid-attack at any moment and the characters faces are all showing proper emotion.
This is my absolutly favorite thing about that game. Rockstar is the only other company that does this and in 2023 that really fucking sad. Its like "put something there "....."anything" ....i dont care if its just a static expression aka place holder. Dont make me fight enemies with blank expressions anymore...im fucking done with that shit. Even Laura Croft in TR1 on PS1 gritted her teeth when firing her guns. Jesus christ already.

Im hoping Remedy takes notes from MP3 and includes those facial expressions in MPRemake. QB was there last Big Budget game and it had alot of really extensive use of Facial Mocap outside of cutscenes so with Rockstar paying the bill fingers crossed.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Your doing a way better job showing off this game than any of Dada's gifs.

Lol, as long as you acknowledge SM2 graphics is god-tier, I couldn't care less whose GIFs you prefer

But still I know you love my Wolverine gifs, views jumped into the thousands once you came around :messenger_tears_of_joy:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially

Days Gone is low-key one of the best looking UE4 games. Sequel running on UE5 would be mind-blowing.

PeteBull

And that is UE5 with a Indy dev .. see Neogaf naysayers ..
Just bit of clarification, since those are polish devs, they arent AAA/big publisher but definitely not indie either, unless current definition of indie means AA too ;D
From their official site, in english

Teyon employs 100+ people in Kraków, Łódź, and remotely, including gamedev professionals, veterans and very talented newbies, all working hard to create a successful brand with great titles.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Lowkey?

I think it look better than gears 5.

And the contest last gen was between these 2, at least on console.

Low-key because I don’t hear anyone talking about it anywhere. Weird. Another one that needs to be re-installed.

Last edited:
Lowkey?

I think it look better than gears 5.

And the contest last gen was between these 2, at least on console.
Days Gone looks better than Gears 5? I don't think so, I've got Days Gone but I was never impressed with the graphics, maybe I'll put it on and have another look.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Low-key because I don’t hear anyone talking about it anywhere. Weird. Another one that needs to be re-installed.
Usually i'm the one who bring days gone pics in here...

But i think it's common opinion that the game looked great for being bend first big open world.

I think it looks technically better than tsushima, but that one has a more easy on the eyes artstyle.

The sdf doesn't defend that game that much because it has a low metacritic, these dudes are like the neo-hobbit in the rings of puker serial, they leave all injured games behind...ruthless.

If sp2 was a 70/100, chief would deny his existence and probably ask a paternity test on that famous american show with that maury dude to cut all the bridges.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Days Gone looks better than Gears 5? I don't think so, I've got Days Gone but I was never impressed with the graphics, maybe I'll put it on and have another look.
I played gears 5 maxed out on pc and i wasn't impressed with the graphic once, so we have something in common.

Tbf i could only resist 2 acts of that thing before giving up.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
You ever play the DLC for Gears 5? Now that looks very nice.
I heard good things about that one but i'm just utterly and completely fed up with gears, i can't play another single minute if they don't overhaul the whole thing.

Doesn't help that i never really liked gears that much except for the first game.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I heard good things about that one but i'm just utterly and completely fed up with gears, i can't play another single minute if they don't overhaul the whole thing.

Doesn't help that i never really liked gears that much except for the first game.

Man, I absolutely loved first, second and (to an extent) the third one. Number of hours I've wasted in multiplayer and horde is in thousands. But I'm with you, I can't stand it anymore. I think I've lasted maybe 45 minutes with Gears 5. Never again. They need t reboot the franchise.

Days Gone! Holly molly, it is very, very, very nice. And I can run it at 200% of 4k at 50-60 FPS which is a nice bonus.

g0MLvXi.jpg

TuK10yp.jpg

ZdVeWKM.jpg

Rumhxx1.jpg

Main character details is off the chart:

hbBCtXL.jpg

zSLjZy2.jpg

GymWolf

Gold Member
Man, I absolutely loved first, second and (to an extent) the third one. Number of hours I've wasted in multiplayer and horde is in thousands. But I'm with you, I can't stand it anymore. I think I've lasted maybe 45 minutes with Gears 5. Never again. They need t reboot the franchise.

Days Gone! Holly molly, it is very, very, very nice. And I can run it at 200% of 4k at 50-60 FPS which is a nice bonus.

g0MLvXi.jpg

TuK10yp.jpg

ZdVeWKM.jpg

Rumhxx1.jpg

Main character details is off the chart:

hbBCtXL.jpg

zSLjZy2.jpg
I don't like how bend do clothes but i like their skin and face rendering. (except for some characters that look afwul)

What do you mean 200% of 4k?

Also, dude are you able to find what mods are used in thi video? because unless i'm going crazy, the gunplay\ragdoll looks better than console version but in theory he is only using a "more frequent gore" mod.

Look at this video? doesn't the gunplay looks better?

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I don't like how bend do clothes but i like their skin and face rendering. (except for some characters that look afwul)

I think clothes on the main character look very good. Dusty and worn out. I haven't seen any other character as I only started the game and played for a couple of minutes.

It's running at 8k internally and downsampling to 4k. There's a resolution scaling slider. It looks razor sharp on the screen.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I think clothes on the main character look very good. Dusty and worn out. I haven't seen any other character as I only started the game and played for a couple of minutes.

It's running at 8k internally and downsampling to 4k. There's a resolution scaling slider. It looks razor sharp on the screen.
Dude looks at the texture in his jacket and othe other clothes in the upper part, i'm too lazy to put red cirlces with paint.

Also i edited my post, can you answer my question?

GymWolf

Gold Member
Check the video description on YT, it's listed there.

It's a game designed for PS4, I look at it with this in mind.
I don't know, death stranding smash dg in terms of clothes details.

And i'm pretty sure detroit smash it, spiderman smash it, horizon probably smash it (the sequel on ps4 absolutely smash it) and many other games do the same.

Don't they look kinda low res to you? look at everything in his torso except the jeans jacket, all the red-ish, brown-ish parts, it always bugged me.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I don't know, death stranding smash dg in terms of clothes details.

And i'm pretty sure detroit smash it, spiderman smash it, horizon probably smash it and many other games do the same.

Don't they look kinda low res to you? look at everything in his torso except the jeans jacket, all the red-ish, brown-ish parts, it always bugged me.

No man, they look old, used, worn out, dusty... not really low-res for an in-game character model. This is Death Stranding Director's Cut maxed out on PC, for comparison:

Utdpkrh.jpg

x5jKCkT.jpg

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
No man, they look old, used, worn out, dusty... not really low-res for an in-game character model. This is Death Stranding Director's Cut maxed out on PC, for comparison:

Utdpkrh.jpg
That is the ugliest suit and it still look good for the type of material of a semi-hazard suit with that plasticky texture and the white leather is fine, his normal one, the blue one, is very detailed.

I'm not talking about the worn out effect, i'm talking about the materials, look all the red and brown parts, especiallt when they end, instead of looking fluffy it looks like low res styrofom, it's a punch in the eye. :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Well, it's not that important, other things in the game make up for the clothes.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
That is the ugliest suit and it still look good for the type of material of a semi-hazard suit with that plasticky texture, his normal one, the blue one is very detailed.

Sorry, I didn't design it. It's the first suit that you wear after the intro. It looks more or less equal resolution-wise to what's in Days Gone. In-game characters in both of these games are not designed to be viewed so close to the camera. This is how it looks with the FOV that I'm playing:

FIXPZ9q.jpg

Yes, the colors are bland but they fit the world that they created. No crazy suits with vibrant colors here.

Well, it's not that important, other things in the game make up for the clothes.

Yeah, game still looks great. Especially for an open world with dynamic time of day and weather.

This is great:

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
That is the ugliest suit and it still look good for the type of material of a semi-hazard suit with that plasticky texture and the white leather is fine, his normal one, the blue one, is very detailed.

I'm not talking about the worn out effect, i'm talking about the materials, look all the red and brown parts, especiallt when they end, instead of looking fluffy it looks like low res styrofom, it's a punch in the eye. :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

It's just an intro suit. You get different one for the rest of the game right after intro too.
I don't have a better pic but it's that:

7XND0u4.jpg

RSQqAo0.jpg

GymWolf

Gold Member
It's just an intro suit. You get different one for the rest of the game right after intro too.
I don't have a better pic but it's that:

7XND0u4.jpg

RSQqAo0.jpg
Dude i completed the game on ps4, i know about the other suit :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

I have the complete edition on epic store (it was free) but i can convince my balls to replay that slog again.

Last edited:

Completely agree it needs to be reinvented at this point.

alloush

I don't want another snowflake reporting me to the mods. :messenger_grinning_sweat:
Yeah, you should expect that in this thread full of snowflakes. I got jumped by hounding dogs when I criticized CP's visuals (I know you like CP's graphics haa). Being the swear artist that I am I wiped the floor with them snowflakes just for them to report me to the mods. I got a warning from the mods and my artistic swear posts were deleted even though they literally started it. So tread wisely and carefully my man!

Note: no idea what the beef is between Mid and the others but me replying to him doesn't mean I am taking his side, don't report me guys:messenger_winking_tongue:.

Damn it's been a while since I posted!

Last edited:
Top Bottom