• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY Pre-Hype/News Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Just for fun:

tumblr_n8gwo1MN101spx215o1_400.png
ibv1AQV9ay4ABS.jpg

tumblr_n8gwo1MN101spx215o2_400.png
iblKB5bzEp4DKc.jpg

tumblr_n8gwo1MN101spx215o3_400.png
iq11js93qIXNK.jpg

tumblr_n8gwo1MN101spx215o4_400.png
igT55IAcV5CAc.jpg

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
http://www.stitchkingdom.com/disney-guardians-of-the-galaxy-soundtracks-71653/

BURBANK, Calif., July 9, 2014 -- Hollywood Records and Marvel are set to release three albums from Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy on July 29, 2014. The Guardians of the Galaxy Deluxe soundtrack features classic 1970s songs from the film, plus score by composer Tyler Bates ("Watchmen," "Slither," "Dawn of the Dead"). Guardians of the Galaxy Awesome Mix Vol. 1 is the collection of 12 songs including Blue Swede's "Hooked on a Feeling," "I'm Not in Love" by 10cc, Redbone's "Come and Get Your Love," and The Runaways' "Cherry Bomb," and Guardians of the Galaxy is the digital score soundtrack. The film opens in U.S. theaters on August 1, 2014.

Music plays a major role in Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy as the 1970s songs featured in the film are part of the storyline in a unique way. Explaining how the songs come to play in the story, director James Gunn says, "One of the main story points in the movie is that Quill has this compilation tape [Awesome Mix #1] that he got from his mother before she died that she made for him. It was of songs that she loved, all songs from the 1970s, and that's the only thing he has left of his mother and that's the only thing he has left of his home on Earth. He uses that as a connection to his past and to the sadness that he feels of having left all that and lost all that." Gunn also asked composer Tyler Bates to complete some of the tracks for the movie before the start of principal photography so he could play them on set. "The score is also very important," says Gunn. "I've worked very hard early on with Tyler Bates, our composer, whom I've done three other movies with, to write part of the score ahead of time so that I'm able to use it on set for big emotional sequences and big action sequences. We can actually play the music on set and the actors can really understand where we're going with it tonally. Our actors have a much better idea of what this film is because of the music that we use, both score and soundtrack."

Executive Soundtrack Producers: James Gunn, Kevin Feige and Dave Jordan
Music Supervisor: Dave Jordan

Awesome Mix Tape, Vol. 1 track list follows:

"Hooked on a Feeling" Performed by Blue Swede
"Go All the Way" Performed by Raspberries
"Spirit in the Sky"* Performed by Norman Greenbaum
"Moonage Daydream" Performed by David Bowie
"Fooled Around and Fell in Love" Performed by Elvin Bishop
"I'm Not in Love" Performed by 10cc
"I Want You Back" Performed by Jackson 5
"Come and Get Your Love" Performed by Redbone
"Cherry Bomb" Performed by The Runaways
"Escape (The Piña Colada Song)" Performed by Rupert Holmes
"O-O-H Child" Performed by The Five Stairsteps
"Ain't No Mountain High Enough" Performed by Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell
*Not in film

Guardians of the Galaxy Deluxe, Guardians of the Galaxy Awesome Mix Vol. 1 and Guardians of the Galaxy digital score soundtrack will be available on July 29, 2014. The album is now available for pre-order at Amazon.com

Quick

Banned
I couldn't see the asterisk on Spirit in the Sky, so I thought it was Ain't No Mountain High Enough that was being noted as not being in the movie.

That would have been a real shame, since I love that song.

Neoxon

I officially have approval from Replicant to do the GotG threads in his place in collaboration with Quick. Everything's good to go.

One of my favorite things about this whole Guardians of the Galaxy hype is that Marvel is bucking a big trend in the world of comics by making a new thing very popular. Very rarely does something new become important and popular in the world of comics, but the modern GotG is basically a 2006 creation. Yeah, the individual characters are all much older than that, but they were mostly so incredibly unimportant and undetailed that they might as well be new.

One of my favorite things about this whole Guardians of the Galaxy hype is that Marvel is bucking a big trend in the world of comics by making a new thing very popular. Very rarely does something new become important and popular in the world of comics, but the modern GotG is basically a 2006 creation. Yeah, the individual characters are all much older than that, but they were mostly so incredibly unimportant and undetailed that they might as well be new.

Well, if anything, many of those characters might have been overly detailed, lol.

Also, you mean 2008. Or 2007, if you count the Annihilation: Conquest - Star-Lord miniseries, which introduced Quill squarely into 616 continuity for the first time (his previous appearances, I believe, were set in some ambiguous future) and put him on a team with Rocket and Groot, among others.

EDIT: actually, the first 616 Quill appearances were a few years earlier, in the Thanos series that preceded the first Annihilation event. My mistake.

Platy

I just want to say that the racoon with Star Lord in the magazine pics is probably the cutest racoon I ever saw

Neoxon

Fun Fact: Peyton Reed, the current director for Ant-Man, was once considered for directing Guardians before they got in touch with James Gunn. That's probably why Marvel revisited Peyton Reed when they were running low on directorial options for the Ant-Man film.

Neoxon

So that means James Gunn has finally stopped tweaking little details on the movie?

Maybe he has time to throw together a One-Shot for CA2 DVD real quick.
I think he had to stop, since he had to go to the Singapore press tour & the fact that the film is 3 weeks from release.

Neoxon

Here's a sneak peek of what to expect from the OT. Keep in mind that this is a work in progress by Quick.

ibrNoGiNjnIwxL.jpg

Well, if anything, many of those characters might have been overly detailed, lol.

Also, you mean 2008. Or 2007, if you count the Annihilation: Conquest - Star-Lord miniseries, which introduced Quill squarely into 616 continuity for the first time (his previous appearances, I believe, were set in some ambiguous future) and put him on a team with Rocket and Groot, among others.

EDIT: actually, the first 616 Quill appearances were a few years earlier, in the Thanos series that preceded the first Annihilation event. My mistake.

I'm still catching up on that whole era (hoping for an Annihilation Conquest omnibus at some point), any reason why Quill was like half-cyborg face in Annihilation? Never see it mentioned in current appearances.

Quick

Banned
I just finished the 2008-2010 run of GOTG, going into the Thanos Imperative now.

As much as I enjoyed it, it felt like sensory overload leading up to and after
Adam became Magus and Peter "killed" him.

Mantis and Cosmo are awesome. Sucks that we won't be seeing them in the movie. I'm gonna need a Jack Flag appearance in the MCU at some point. He seems like someone that could be in Agents of SHIELD. His hate for how everything is brings me joy.

"I hate cosmic stuff."

I just finished the 2008-2010 run of GOTG, going into the Thanos Imperative now.

As much as I enjoyed it, it felt like sensory overload leading up to and after
Adam became Magus and Peter "killed" him.

Mantis and Cosmo are awesome. Sucks that we won't be seeing them in the movie. I'm gonna need a Jack Flag appearance in the MCU at some point. He seems like someone that could be in Agents of SHIELD. His hate for how everything is brings me joy.

"I hate cosmic stuff."

I wouldn't be so sure about that...

Neoxon

odiin

My Apartment, or the 120 Screenings of Salo
Yep. If it hits at the low end of that spectrum with 60 million it should end with a worldwide gross of around 500 million.

Now it will not surprise me if this movie makes Winter Soldier numbers or even more.

If this movie makes TWS numbers on a ~$70M opening, considering TWS WOM, and familiarity.... then Ant-Man has absolutely nothing to worry about. Marvel Studios would be christened Mickey's Midas House. and DC will probably move BvS:DoJ off that Cap 3 date.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom