• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY Pre-Hype/News Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neoxon

I meant for the complete run. THis movie has more appeal in foreing markets than Caps. Even if i love CA i have to admit that.
Still not expecting Winter Soldier numbers. That movie actually did better than expected in international box offices.

BLACKLAC

My prediction was 500m WW minimum which is looking like a lock which is good. Better than all phase 1 new IP's.

Depending on early reviews and WoM the tracking could spike upward.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
https://twitter.com/JamesGunn/status/487736238716121088/photo/1

The a-holes take to the skies...

BsTJhWUCAAAiWy0.jpg:large

My prediction was 500m WW minimum which is looking like a lock which is good. Better than all phase 1 new IP's.

Depending on early reviews and WoM the tracking could spike upward.

I'm pretty sure I predicted about the same many weeks ago when we were predicting.
and tracking lines it up with that as a likely minimum, so I'm happy for Gunn, Marvel and all involved, especially the sure expansion of Cosmic Marvel into phase 3.

The 17 minute preview was pretty awesome.... well the 2 scene 12 minute preview, extended trailer and intro from James Gunn was pretty awesome. It took a movie I was merely interested in because it was Marvel and made me quite hyped about it like it was the next Star Wars instead (because it is. The "Star Wars" of a new Generation).

I'm going to be in Vancouver, Canada during the opening of guardians. Anyone know any good theateres for midnight showing ups there? Are midnight showings even a thing in Canada lol

Neoxon

Quick & I are making good progress on the OT. And yes, Quick thought of a way to incorporate the joke banner, & I think you'll like it.

Hey, let's not go overboard here.

It has a very "Star Wars"ey feel to it.
Grand Adventure in Space, different planets visited, alien races, advanced tech, special powers/weapons, Group dynamic, taking on the big conqueror who has an even bigger bad behind him.

This would actually be like Star Wars and it's expanded Universe, making it even better.
So I don't think I'm going overboard, I think I'm just ON board.

HYPE Train has pulled into the station and I already got my seat.

It has a very "Star Wars"ey feel to it.
Grand Adventure in Space, different planets visited, alien races, advanced tech, special powers/weapons, Group dynamic, taking on the big conqueror who has an even bigger bad behind him.

Those are just superficial similarities and general space-opera genre trappings, though. You compare it to Star Wars, you're making a pretty sweeping prediction about the kind of cultural influence it'll have a decade or two from now, and I don't think anyone can reasonably predict that.

We got in a bit of GOTG merch at work today. Was really tempted to get the POP! figure for Rocket. It is both adorable and badass at the same time.

J10

Banned
Captain America couldn't do a billion and it had a month long head start on Spider-man. I don't see it.

$500m is a respectable target. Anything higher should be seen as a blessing. If it somehow manages to get near Cap's worldwide take, that will be insane.

dabig2

I think it will be profitable but not enough for Marvel to take another risk like that.

$500M-600M WW with good word of mouth should be enough to satisfy Disney. You don't think it will hit that? If it's already tracking north of $60M in the USA, I don't think it will have a problem hitting that half billion milestone.

Not to mention the merchandise a franchise like this can potentially sell and the fact that it's the only true sci-fi franchise of the current MCU.

$500m is a respectable target. Anything higher should be seen as a blessing. If it somehow manages to get near Cap's worldwide take, that will be insane.

I completely agree. I just hope Disney's expectations are reasonable and that they wouldn't see $500m as a disappointment, given the relative obscurity of the IP to non-comics readers and the film's seemingly tenuous (at least, to those who don't know how much it plays into Thanos and the Infinity Stones meta-arc) connections to the rest of the MCU. And that TMNT opens only a week later.

Those are just superficial similarities and general space-opera genre trappings, though. You compare it to Star Wars, you're making a pretty sweeping prediction about the kind of cultural influence it'll have a decade or two from now, and I don't think anyone can reasonably predict that.

You are right about superficial similarities, but I think the MCU as a whole is the new "Star Wars" of this generation. only bigger and better.
Marvel Studios is a Movie Mint right now, and I don't see any chance of that being in danger till after A2 drops and Ant-man is up to bat.

Neoxon

I decided to be a bro & buy one of my best friends premiere tickets to the July 31st IMAX showing for his birthday.

$500M-600M WW with good word of mouth should be enough to satisfy Disney. You don't think it will hit that? If it's already tracking north of $60M in the USA, I don't think it will have a problem hitting that half billion milestone.

Not to mention the merchandise a franchise like this can potentially sell and the fact that it's the only true sci-fi franchise of the current MCU.

Will 500M-600M be enough? With a production budget of 170M, it will need approximately $500 to break even. But you're right about the merchandise. But I don't think that 's enough for them to take risks like this again. My guess is that, especially with the dwindling boxoffice results, they'll concentrate on popular characters only after Avengers 2.

TDLink

Will 500M-600M be enough? With a production budget of 170M, it will need approximately $500 to break even. But you're right about the merchandise. But I don't think that 's enough for them to take risks like this again. My guess is that, especially with the dwindling boxoffice results, they'll concentrate on popular characters only after Avengers 2.

It's an August release for a reason. They're keeping their expectations in check. Hitting $500m would be more than enough for at least a sequel.

While I want this movie to be awesome and be a huge success, even if doesn't make Marvel a bunch of money we can be happy that they took a chance on it and gave us some obscure characters and built a huge movie around them.

Who woulda thunk that a decade ago we would be getting a movie with Rocket Raccoon in it?

BLACKLAC

Ant-Man.

Not to mention that after AoU's run the MCU will be the most successful franchise both worldwide and domestic(it's already #1 domestically).

The only way I see Marvel second guessing how they go forward is a debacle like Green Lantern.

My guess is that, especially with the dwindling boxoffice results, they'll concentrate on popular characters only after Avengers 2.

They're not going to scrap Ant-Man and Dr. Strange just because GotG underperformed. The more likely direct consequence would be that there won't be another cosmic MCU film sans proven Earth-based characters anytime soon, but rumors suggest that that may be the plan anyway.

richiek

They're not going to scrap Ant-Man and Dr. Strange just because GotG underperformed. The more likely direct consequence would be that there won't be another cosmic MCU film sans proven Earth-based characters anytime soon, but rumors suggest that that may be the plan anyway.

Aren't the rumors that Avengers Age of Ultron ends with
Hulk getting launched into space, setting up his meeting the Guardians in a future film?

Aren't the rumors that Avengers Age of Ultron ends with
Hulk getting launched into space, setting up his meeting the Guardians in a future film?

That's what I was alluding to, yeah. That the plan is already for any Guardians sequel to more directly cross over with the rest of the MCU.

TDLink

That's what I was alluding to, yeah. That the plan is already for any Guardians sequel to more directly cross over with the rest of the MCU.

I hope that rumour is bunk, because I hate that plan. So many great Guardians stories and characters to explore...if they just get caught up in Earth shit like the rest of the MCU/those characters it would be a real missed opportunity.

The fact that Feige has said in the past he wants Cosmic to be its own franchise and GotG to be like a new "Iron Man" leaves me hopeful though that the rumour won't come to pass.

Gartooth

Really don't like the rumor about
Hulk going into space at the end of AoU to meet up with the GotG.
There's so much room for a GotG 2 in regards to characters and setting that could be integrated in, and I wouldn't want that wasted on what would essentially be a
Planet Hulk movie guest starring the GotG.

I'd rather see an adaptation of Annihilation: Conquest if Marvel really wants to strengthen ties between their separate films.

I'd rather see an adaptation of Annihilation: Conquest if Marvel really wants to strengthen ties between their separate films.

Yup. If we can't get Annihilation because of rights issues, Conquest is the next best bet. Just have Ultron's AI somehow meet superior alien tech then go crazy from there.

According to BoxOfficeGAF, $170M Production budget only needs about $340M BO to break even. Let's pad it generously by saying $400M to break even, and then $500M BO is plenty of profit to build off of when looking at how IM, Thor & Cap have all increased from start to sequel (& sequel again in IM's case.)
If the scale continues on to the sequel with another Avengers Bump, then GotG 2 is all but guaranteed to hit north of $800M with a real chance at $1B.

Dalek

Yup. If we can't get Annihilation because of rights issues, Conquest is the next best bet. Just have Ultron's AI somehow meet superior alien tech then go crazy from there.

....oh God I didn't even realize that. Of course they can do that story. I've been thinking that without Annihlius or Galactus those stories were kind of kaput.

....oh God I didn't even realize that. Of course they can do that story. I've been thinking that without Annihlius or Galactus those stories were kind of kaput.

No Annihilus. No Galactus. No Silver Surfer. No Super Skrull.

Conquest, on the other hand, would be pretty open. And still epic.

J10

Banned
Galactus and Surfer are not important to that story. They're props. Super-Skrull has an actual role to play, but even he's not irreplaceable. Just make it Nova centric and that'll be enough.

Galactus and Surfer are not important to that story. They're props. Super-Skrull has an actual role to play, but even he's not irreplaceable. Just make it Nova centric and that'll be enough.

I need to get around to actually reading all these comics so that I have any idea what story you guys are talking about. I have them all, just never took the time to actually read them.

And Annihilus? Granted, they could make it almost any bad guy, but can they use the Negative Zone?

And losing Galactus would take away one of the best parts of that whole story.

Really don't like the rumor about
Hulk going into space at the end of AoU to meet up with the GotG.
There's so much room for a GotG 2 in regards to characters and setting that could be integrated in, and I wouldn't want that wasted on what would essentially be a
Planet Hulk movie guest starring the GotG.

Not reading this spoiler is making my brain fucking explode. I neeeeeed to know. But I really shouldn't.

J10

Banned
Replace Annihilus with Blastaar I guess. Not ideal, but it'll do. They'll just have to make him a lot less inept and more Hitler. It'd be nice to see a version of Blastaar that isn't a hapless fucktard.

Gartooth

Not reading this spoiler is making my brain fucking explode. I neeeeeed to know. But I really shouldn't.

Its a bunch of rumors that might not even be true about Marvel Phase 3 and what it would mean for a GotG sequel. The reason I spoiled it is because the rumors state it ties into the plot of Avengers 2. Better safe than sorry with this stuff.

richiek

Supposedly, James Gunn has to go through Marvel's legal dept every time they wanted to use a character to make sure they had the rights. If they make Annihilation, it's gonna be a nightmare to adapt.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
You can't make Annihilation without Annihilus, Galactus, or Surfer. Super Skrull had a pretty big role too.

TDLink

You can't make Annihilation without Annihilus, Galactus, or Surfer. Super Skrull had a pretty big role too.

Yes you can. Make Nova the main protagonist like he already was. Have the Guardians play the roles they did, with expanded use for the ones who weren't there. Have Thanos using a weapon other than galactus. Have a galaxy threatening villain other than Annihilus that does the same thing. Remove the skrull and heralds part. It would be very modified but all of the mcu films adapting specific stories have anyways. It would still work. It's a perfect Nova origin story and could also function as a GotG sequel

Neoxon

Yes you can. Make Nova the main protagonist like he already was. Have the Guardians play the roles they did, with expanded use for the ones who weren't there. Have Thanos using a weapon other than galactus. Have a galaxy threatening villain other than Annihilus that does the same thing. Remove the skrull and heralds part. It would be very modified but all of the mcu films adapting specific stories have anyways. It would still work. It's a perfect Nova origin story and could also function as a GotG sequel
Or, assuming GotG is a hit, make the Annihilation adaptation a separate Nova origin movie that brings Richard Rider into the MCU. Skip the teenage years & jump right into the good stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom