• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY Pre-Hype/News Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

J10

Banned
Yeah, the reality of the situation is that they don't have access to all the characters, but we like the story so we're thinking about possible workarounds. None of these adaptations are 1:1 anyway.

TDLink

Or, assuming GotG is a hit, make the Annihilation adaptation a separate Nova origin movie that brings Richard Rider into the MCU. Skip the teenage years & jump right into the good stuff.
Right that is basically what I meant. No one really wants pre annihilation Nova anyways. Him being the last one with all the Nova force is what caused the character to become interesting and awesome.

PsychBat!

Banned
I hope that rumour is bunk, because I hate that plan. So many great Guardians stories and characters to explore...if they just get caught up in Earth shit like the rest of the MCU/those characters it would be a real missed opportunity.
Real talk.

Main reason why I wouldn't want this to tie in to agents of shield.

TEJ

My anticipation levels for this movie are through the roof.

I am more hyped for this pre-release than

-the avengers
-all three nolan batman flicks
-man of steel
-superman returns

This movie looks wickedly fun.

vareon

So I just read GoTG 2008 and apparently it ties to Annihilation and Secret Invasion events. So I assume the movie doesn't loosely "adapt" from one of the books and instead have their own story?

J10

Banned
So I just read GoTG 2008 and apparently it ties to Annihilation and Secret Invasion events. So I assume the movie doesn't loosely "adapt" from one of the books and instead have their own story?

It's an origin movie. Their book origin was in Annihilation: Conquest, before the 2008 series. They meet up in a prison there, like in the movie. That's about the only similarity as far as we've seen.

I can't find a video yet, but just saw a cool behind the scenes promo on Disney channel with Chris Pratt being interviewed and introducing the characters with a nice handful of new footage with Young Quill and more Rocket dialog. Like the previous Marvel BTS promos, very exciting and hype inducing for both the casual viewer and the fans.

James Gunn described the movie's score on Facebook as a new school riff on old school big themes of movies like Superman and Star Wars. ARGH WHEN WILL SCORE SAMPLES RELEASE.

Neoxon

Those people were dumb then and they're dumb now
tumblr_n8h57ekRf61rzw4tho1_1280.png

Neoxon

Various GAFers. It's a sentiment that started around the Avengers release and had kept going since for every Marvel movie outside of the widely hated Captain America 1.
I actually enjoyed Cap 1 (not nearly as much as IM1, The Avengers, or CA:TWS, but still).

Fair enough. I do notice a lot of crap put on Joss and Avengers inside most of the DC related threads.

4 weeks until GotG is released here in Australia. Damn the wait is killing me.

Lebron

I missed the "looks like a TV show" joke. Who said that?
Various Gaffers in the Avengers thread that later ran off when it made all the monies. They've come back for this one since it has a chance to do poorly I guess, which wasn't the case with Thor 2, Cap 2, or IM3.

I don't think it was a widely held opinion about The First Avenger, but I recall comments about how Cap wasn't punching Hitler or taking down the Axis Powers throughout the movie like most folks seem to perceive the guy? That and criticism about the montage in the middle of the film too.

J10

Banned
It's widely hated if NeoGAF is the only place you source opinions. It has some problems but most people who saw it liked it, including critics.

dabig2

I don't think it was a widely held opinion about The First Avenger, but I recall comments about how Cap wasn't punching Hitler or taking down the Axis Powers throughout the movie like most folks seem to perceive the guy? That and criticism about the montage in the middle of the film too.

Montage was the biggest hate for the film. Next was the lackluster Red Skull as a villain. Outside of that I never really saw people hating on it (at least not IM2 levels), not even from some of the biggest MCU detractors on this board. Cap 1's biggest sin is that it's merely an OK superhero film. But let's not forget it was generally well received by audiences and critics outside of Gaf. Fake edit: like what J10 said above

This looks to be the most well shot Marvel film.

I'm not exactly sure about that.
Almost every shot in the Winter Soldier was framed beautifully and it came together to in a near perfect way. Guardians has a lot of special effects that were absent in The Winter Soldier which could hinder a lot of the camera work. Still, I guess we'll have to wait and see the movie before we can make a complete judgement. The use of color in the trailers so far make me really happy since that has been the one thing I've felt has been absent in Marvel movies of late.

Neoxon

Just a reminder of the NeoGAF hate during the road to The Avengers

I honestly thought Favreau deserved to do The Avengers. He made the best Marvel film of the bunch. Either that or go out and get a director with a legit track record, someone to match the ambition of an Avengers film in concept. It's a shame the way the project seems to be shaping up. I think it really needs to establish itself as a major player this summer by releasing a much better trailer. Even if the film isn't going to be good, cut something that hints at an epic out of it. Dark Knight Rises, Hobbit, and Prometheus are WAY overshadowing it as far as 2012 film buzz goes right now.
Something would be SERIOUSLY wrong if Prometheus didn't overshadow Avengers.
Bah, bury this movie.
Absolute shit.
still looks cheap as hell (not the cg!). everything is too brightly lit and why is everyone centered in the middle of the screen/frame (like a tv show)?
I still don't understand why they picked Whedon to direct this.
I guess I have to watch Iron Man 2 and Captain America and see if this is really worth it or I'm tired of these types of superheroes. I don't intend to watch Thor ever, I'll read a summary on wikipedia and maybe look at some you tube clips. Wish Norton had signed on as the Hulk, would actually be kind of hyped right now. lol At guy with bow and arrow.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
Yes you can. Make Nova the main protagonist like he already was. Have the Guardians play the roles they did, with expanded use for the ones who weren't there. Have Thanos using a weapon other than galactus. Have a galaxy threatening villain other than Annihilus that does the same thing. Remove the skrull and heralds part. It would be very modified but all of the mcu films adapting specific stories have anyways. It would still work. It's a perfect Nova origin story and could also function as a GotG sequel

aww but the kids already know super skrull from MvC3 id miss galactus and SS though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom