• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guitar Hero Live |OT| Not a Band Game

killroy87

I know that. I mean how many tracks does each channel have before it rotates. like say, the "rock" channel is on, how many tracks does that have?

i don't think there's a way of knowing without watching them all and counting. the on-demand portion would just give you access to the entire catalog (i assume), so I'm not sure how you'd figure out how many are on at any given time. i'm sure we'll know very soon if it feels like songs are repeating too often (or not enough)

TheGrue

I have to say...as a Rock Band fanboy, I really like GHL. The guitar button config has made things super challenging as I have to unlearn the note highway back from the original GH1, which I played on Expert. I tried "When You Were Young" by The Killers on Expert in this and man am I going to have to practice. It's super refreshing.

Also loving GHTV with them using actual videos from songs in the background. Super pleased so far with the game.

ViciousDS

Banned
On my way home! Got my bundle!

Holy shit at all the pre orders!!!! Same guy was there when I picked up my RB4 BiaB.....I was the only one at the store that ordered any bundle for rock band.....guitar hero they had over 50 bundles sold via pre order at Best Buy........BEST BUY!!!!

I honestly think guitar hero is going to have higher sales despite all the legacy talk....can't wait to get home and fail on expert.....wait, that's not a good thing lol!

Holy shit at all the pre orders!!!! Same guy was there when I picked up my RB4 BiaB.....I was the only one at the store that ordered any bundle for rock band.....guitar hero they had over 50 bundles sold via pre order at Best Buy........BEST BUY!!!!

I honestly think guitar hero is going to have higher sales despite all the legacy talk....can't wait to get home and fail on expert.....wait, that's not a good thing lol!

I picked mine up a few hours ago from Best Buy. The guy said they had already like 20 picked up and close to another 20 waiting for pick up.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
im done with that other thread, I just cba

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
so when they add the 70 new songs to GHTV or how many they said soon, thats basically 70 free dlc songs, as long as you understand that you cant pick and choose them infinitely

my broke ass likes that, I totally understand people that dont like the system tho

The Wii U version is fine. I had the game hard crash once, requiring a hard reset of the console. I was flipping back and forth between a couple of menus while GHTV was trying to show me and load some stuff. But that's it, and I don't see that happening again.

You'll want to make sure you have 2GB free so the game can store cache data for GHTV, but even that is not required.

No issues with the guitar at all. Haven't looked at the game hard enough to tell if it's 1080p or not, but it's crisp and clear at the very least.

Good to know! Weird how no Nintendo site seems to have a review yet.

ViciousDS

Banned
so when they add the 70 new songs to GHTV or how many they said soon, thats basically 70 free dlc songs, as long as you understand that you cant pick and choose them infinitely

my broke ass likes that, I totally understand people that dont like the system tho

I like it, my little brothers LOVES it because he can't afford to drop money everytime new songs drop for RB4. So this game is perfect for someone who likes to constantly play new stuff but can't constantly afford to always drop money to pay for it.

I think this is the biggest selling point is that even though you may not have songs forever there should always be new stuff that you will like to play year in and year out.

Hell the premium show with weezer should be badass when that gets added!

Yaari

Yeah. I don't play on buying anything but I like that I have RB4 and GHL on the side. The latter for which I don't have to buy anything extra ever.

Hopefully they still make enough with the game, so that they keep supporting it though. Because that's important.

Anecdotally there were quite a few preorder waiting to be picked up at best buy. I hope this game does well to ensure the success of ghtv

ViciousDS

Banned
We are believers!!!!!! Wow, never even heard of that song

But that beginner difficulty lol wow that's boring didn't know I could change it till the kill song fml

antitrop

GHTV is way radder than I thought it would be.

The "live crowd" is actually way radder than I thought it was going to be. It's appropriately cheesy and hokey to make it fun, but it's making me smile instead of cringe.

After GH Live, I can't go back to playing songs with awful looking cartoon characters in the background, anymore. Live crowd, original music video, or bust.

Marketing. A fresh angle and lets be honest most players of gh never had massive dlc libraries and probably pawned their guitars ages ago.

antitrop

I'm wondering how long it's going to take me to stop confusing Hero Power notes for HOPOs, because holy shit I do it multiple times every song. They fucked with readability a bit too much, even the stupid yellow outline they do on notes to indicate a streak messes me up.

I'm wondering how long it's going to take me to stop confusing Hero Power notes for HOPOs, because holy shit I do it multiple times every song. They fucked with readability a bit too much, even the stupid yellow outline they do on notes to indicate a streak messes me up.
Agreed. Way too hard to tell the difference between HOPOs and Hero Power notes, especially when a given note happens to be both!

Also, chords like this are the goddamn worst:
Barre | Barre | White
Barre | Barre | Black
etc.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?

I feel you on this. I'm actually very confused when it comes to Power On's and Hero Power notes. Is there any difference between the two that I'm not noticing possibly?

ViciousDS

Banned
Agreed. Way too hard to tell the difference between HOPOs and Hero Power notes, especially when a given note happens to be both!

Also, chords like this are the goddamn worst:
Barre | Barre | White
Barre | Barre | Black
etc.

Which is really dumb because you don't really bar a power chord gah, first one I saw I was like wtf!

If the choice is between 90 on disc songs and then paid DLC in the future or 42 plus hundreds of free songs via GHTV with the caveat that they are random, I'll gladly take option 2

As a bonus, not picking songs specifically may mean you discover new music

If the choice is between 90 on disc songs and then paid DLC in the future or 42 plus hundreds of free songs via GHTV with the caveat that they are random, I'll gladly take option 2

As a bonus, not picking songs specifically may mean you discover new music
This. I played the metal songs like once on old games. Likley gonna play the metal hour on this

antitrop

Patiently waiting for Beenox to chart six-button Raining Blood.

You fucking masochist. I had more problems with Raining Blood on Expert than Through the Fire and Flames, despite there being an Achievement for completing the latter and not the former.

Rhaknar

fuck european console release dates

forgot how awful the stupid 3 day difference is (been mostly playing on PC the last few yaers which for the most part has the same release dates as the US, mostly)

aro52

Dammit! I was trying to avoid the instrument games this time around. After the lackluster Rock Band impressions, I thought I pulled it off, but now this is sounding good!

ViciousDS

Banned
Was doin great on expert......until anthrax bar chords came along da fuq lol!!! Alright difficulty down till I learn bar chords better

Rhaknar

Does GHTV support two players?

yes but both play the same song. as in the same exact chart. its not guitar/base

if I was mostly a decent Hard player on previous Guitar Heroes, what difficulty am I aiming for here? Advanced or lower?

Was doin great on expert......until anthrax bar chords came along da fuq lol!!! Alright difficulty down till I learn bar chords better
Anthrax is what really drilled in my dislike for rapid bar chords.

If you played on Hard I'd try starting off with the one below Expert.

yes but both play the same song. as in the same exact chart. its not guitar/base

if I was mostly a decent Hard player on previous Guitar Heroes, what difficulty am I aiming for here? Advanced or lower?

I played expert and I got to grips with regular during my demo time quite easily. You should be fine with that.

Rhaknar

I played expert and I got to grips with regular during my demo time quite easily. You should be fine with that.

expert? as in the top one? I highly doubt that from what ive seen in videos

KaYotiX

Banned
Wish they also could of released the Guitar with just the TV portion of the game for like $80 or something :)

The "tour" mode looks to be so trash but the TV stuff looks fun.

Rhaknar

Wish they would of just released the Guitar with just the TV portion of the game for like $80 or something :)

The "tour" mode looks to be so trash but the TV stuff looks fun.

the tour (its actually called Live) is just the campaign and you basically just do it to unlock the 42 songs on the disc for use in quickplay. most of us will spend most of the time on GHTV

KaYotiX

Banned
the tour (its actually called Live) is just the campaign and you basically just do it to unlock the 42 songs on the disc for use in quickplay. most of us will spend most of the time on GHTV

I know, thats what i mean. Just forget even adding the LIVE portion and focus on the GHTV stuff. If i pick it up im sure i wont even bother with the "campaign"

Fiddled with calibrations for a little while and haven't really hit a sweet spot yet. I think down strumming is cause my guitar to drop notes that I'm otherwise hitting fine when up strumming. I'm really really hoping its just a calibration thing.

Fiddled with calibrations for a little while and haven't really hit a sweet spot yet. I think down strumming is cause my guitar to drop notes that I'm otherwise hitting fine when up strumming. I'm really really hoping its just a calibration thing.

Sounds like the same issue I had at first, and I was starting to worry that it was a problem with my guitar too because I had no problem hitting hammer-ons. I found that I had to set my calibration slightly to the right of the "sweet spot" where the cowbell icon and sound happen perfectly in sync. After doing that I started getting 150+ note streaks easily and things felt right.

I had that same problem with the down strum.

I tried my best to calibrate and I think I finally found a good spot. I no longer feel that down strum issue. So keep trying to find that sweet spot and things should get better.

Played a little more GHTV. Is it right to assume its:

100 xp for 1st place
90 xp for 2nd
85 xp for 3rd

That's what I've noticed. Currently level 5.

I hate..HATE when I'm asked to hit a white/black together on the same column + another note. Sorry, don't know the correct term. That shit gets me all the time.

Top Bottom