• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guitar Hero Live |OT| Not a Band Game

Anyone else having issues with slowdown on the note highway? The music videos play normally, but I see noticeable hiccups on the highway.
What platform? I've only had this happen once or twice on Wii U, and I've chalked that up to the Wifi in my dorm being horrible.

Activision's support site says that it's a rare issue when the GHTV cache overflows, but only on 360 and Wii U.
https://support.activision.com/arti...c=Game_Title:All&fs=RelatedArticle#collapse03

TaKeRx

I have to say... I bought it just to try it out, but with this whole negativity on the game I didn't expect much.

I Freaking LOVE the game. GH Live is seriously the best part about it and it feels like an endless amount of songs. The UI is beautiful and my competitive side comes on when I don't see my name in 1st place when playing.

Also the fact that this is a new experience is really attracting me to the game. I'm playing on hard at the moment cause it can really get crazy lol.

So far so good.

So my top left button (black furthest away from the strum bar) seems to be able to get caught under the head of the guitar. Has anyone else had this issue. Should I go back to best buy or call activison?

Is anyone else having problems with down-strumming? It's like it's missing every other strum and it's tripping me up all the time. Strumming up registers every time. I have no idea what's going on.

It seems to be a problem that some of us are having or have experienced in this thread, me included. There's a sizable thread about it on the GH reddit and posts about it on the game's official forum. Hopefully, it's something related to how the notes are being registered in-game and it's not a manufacturing problem.

btkadams

Did they not separate the guitar track from the rest of the song? It sounds like it just turns down the volume of the song and plays random guitar screw-up noises.

I really like that they tried to re-invent guitar hero, but I'm not sure I'm having that much fun yet. The new challenge is welcome, but my hand ached after an hour and the microtransactions look a bit sketchy. I spent this much on it though ha so I am going to keep playing and see if it grows on me. First impression just has me feeling like Rock Band 4's guitar playing feels more fun and like I'm playing the guitar line in the song. But Rock Band 4 is basically the same thing from 7 years ago, so it's not as fresh as this.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Well I know my controller is fucked, testing the strum on my PS4 friends list and it's lagged and dropping inputs. I thought my game's calibration settings weren't set correctly but I'm playing it on a monitor, I shouldn't even have issues with lag. This is disappointing.

Edit: I think I found my issue. Don't use a PS4 headset (Pulse in this case) when playing with the game. It interferes with the controller.

Edag88

Banned
I'm having a hell of a time calibrating. Rock Band is perfect on my laggy TV, but this is much harder to get put together. Any tips?

OMG this game is amazing. Put in a couple hours now. The whole white/black 3 button thing didn't really click with me until about an hour in, and when I felt it click I felt like a badass (well as badass as one can feel on normal difficulty). Had dropped it down to casual at first because I was getting so messed up. It ends up like old Guitar Hero since it was just using 3 of the white buttons, and I was playing it like old Guitar Hero (old habits die hard). But once I made the switch, whoa.

The live crowd is genius. When they are all bouncing up and down during a fast song and you are rockin it out, I actually got chills. I mean, everything is so clear and clean (image quality wise).

Also have had no issues with the guitar as far as strumming, disconnecting, missing notes or anything. Everything registers just fine (got the Xbox One version). Game mode on my TV is turned on, haven't touched any calibration settings. One thing I thought would bother me is the "not actually playing the notes" part, but really when I make a mistake I feel it, so that feedback is more than enough for me. Quite surprised to be honest.

When I got to that Skrillex song during the campaign, I had serious DJ Hero flashbacks LOL.

Very happy, if you can't tell. Just a fun fun game. Having a ball.

Totally surprised by how much more I have been enjoying this over Rock Band 4, and I am really happy about both, but I feel like Rock Band will always be the better party game but if I am just looking to play a few songs I totally think Guitar Hero has the advantage IMO!

FrsDvl

Anyone having issues where the strum bar doesn't respond, or sometimes strums by itself? On X1 if that matters

Actually, it only seems to happen in the GH Live section. GHTV seems fine.

Figments

Anyone having issues where the strum bar doesn't respond, or sometimes strums by itself? On X1 if that matters

Actually, it only seems to happen in the GH Live section. GHTV seems fine.

Here here.

And don't worry, after a while, it starts happening in GHTV, too.

The little "tweets" in the corner are such a small thing, but they add so much. And the "radio" announcers are really good too, makes the whole thing feel alive.

ZeroX03

Banned
This game is so much cheaper than Rock Band. I prefer the tracklist too. God I'm so tempted but I feel like it'll bomba and I could get it for half price within months.

New button layout is my jam too.

Has anyone had an issue with two guitars both syncing on the same channel on the PS4?

Only once did we get one of the controllers to sync to channel 2.

antitrop

Hoooollllyyy shit, playing Cowboys From Hell with the original music video with Dimebag and Phil right there is one of the best gaming experiences I've had all year. Love the new chart on that one, too (Advanced, anyway). Nothing like a Dimebag groove.

Has anyone had an issue with two guitars both syncing on the same channel on the PS4?

Only once did we get one of the controllers to sync to channel 2.
Yeah. Haha. Was doing my head in earlier. Restarting the console whenever we encountered the problem seemed to fix it. No idea why.

FrsDvl

So I just found out there is supposed to be a companion app. But I can't seem to find it on Android. Is it not out yet or am I blind?

U2NUMB

This game is so much cheaper than Rock Band. I prefer the tracklist too. God I'm so tempted but I feel like it'll bomba and I could get it for half price within months.

If you live in the states and have a gamers unlocked the game becomes 50 dollars cheaper than Rock Band...

killroy87

Despite the fact that I can't seem to get the calibration juuuust right, I'm really loving this game! The live concerta are a lot of fun, and have an INCREDIBLE amount of production value. That hippy dippy one might be tacky, but it's also gorgeous, and a perfect fit for bands like Of Monsters & Men. I also love the music videos for the other songs. Both options are better solutions than the fake videogame bands of RB/Old GH.

And I really do enjoy GHTV. I like just killing a half hour with some random songs. If I hate a song on one station, I either tough it out or head to the other one. But I've had stretches of 4-5 songs that, even if they wouldn't be my first picks, I have really enjoyed playing. That's the beauty of discovering new music (and remembering songs you've forgotten).

I haven't actually used any of my play tokens yet. I'm not sure how many I have right now, but it has to be around 30.

Spinoff90

So my top left button (black furthest away from the strum bar) seems to be able to get caught under the head of the guitar. Has anyone else had this issue. Should I go back to best buy or call activison?

Yep same fret is getting stuck for me. The top white fret also stopped functioning during the third song of the intro. Going to exchange it tomorrow.

So basically, if you're down with GHTV and okay with not "owning"* your music you're probably going to love this game. Otherwise, you might still, but the chances are lower.

technically you don't even own your Rock Band DLC either :p

Played an hour and a bit tonight, really like it.

It feels....fresh, for the lack of a better word. The live stuff is campy as hell but honestly there's no way to make a "serious" career mode like that work, so why not have some fun with it like they did? I find it charming.

GHTV is really cool, it's like throwing on a Spotify playlist but I can play along with it

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
T.O.P needs to stop being a lazy bum and update the review thread :)

ZeroX03

Banned
GH TV sounds great to me, as someone who doesn't really like buying individual song DLC in rhythm games and wouldn't mind just jumping in occasionally for random fun.

If you live in the states and have a gamers unlocked the game becomes 50 dollars cheaper than Rock Band...

Nah not US based. The local price is pretty good though. The 2x guitar pack is still cheaper than Rock Band's single guitar game.

Just got a couple of FC's/5* on Expert up if anyone wants gameplay:

Ho Hey FC
Bones Exposed 98%
Mountain Sound 99%
King For A Day 97%
My Songs Know What You Did in the Dark FC
The Anthem 98%
Counting Stars 99%

This game rocks, man. Still think there's something barely off in my guitars, but woowow fun.

It's going to take me forever to get doing any on expert. I'm the same with the guitar, sometimes it just seems to miss notes, despite playing the same sequence all the way through a song.

aro52

Had a blast with this tonight! I still get up/down mixed up from time to time*, but when you get in a groove, it feels so badass!

*I think it's the colors. Even though the picks point in the direction to go, my brain keeps thinking black should be on bottom and white on top... or maybe my brain wants to follow the fat part of the pick... Silly brain will figure it out eventually. :p

T.O.P

Banned
2 days

K8I5qVi.gif

To anyone who cares, the Wii U/PS3 guitar dongle works perfectly on PC (Windows 10). Shows up as a standard game controller called "Guitar Hero". Every button and axis works as it should.

Now to wait for 6 button mode for Phase Shift or something.

T.O.P

Banned
Hopefully they expand the GHTV offer regularly, with more than just 4 or 5 songs per month.

Add some Muse, please.

I really, REALLY need some Radiohead and Two Door Cinema Club in the game

A premium Radiohead Live Show would make me throw money at the

Funny how painful a three day wait can be, huh?

It's fuckin awful, not even thinking about the fact that Amazon might fuck up the D1 delivery

Or that i could get stuck with a faulty unit the whole weekend

*Hyperventilates

Last time i was so excited for a game i had my 55 tv die on me as the game was loading for the first time LOL

deoee

If you wait till it bombs (which it hopefully won't) you are part of the problem :D

So I unplugged the guitar dongle and left my ps4 off last night. Then I woke up this morning, started playing Live and TV, and now everything's normal with my strum bar when down strumming. Weird. I'll need to keep a close eye on this.

Also, the presentation for GHTV is so, so good. Love how the channels fluidly transition from one song to the next, the music videos add a lot of visual variety to what used to be same 7 or so venues of old, and the bumps inbetween are really classy and relaxed. It's a loop that I find difficult to grab myself away from. The note charts have been really enjoyable as well, even on Regular as I adjust. Can't wait till I feel comfortable enough to tackle Advanced.

Top Bottom