• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guitar Hero Live |OT| Not a Band Game

hmm, I wonder if that is why mine feels weird. I feel I can't get the calibration completely right.

At points it still feels slightly off but nothing compared to what I was experiencing before I'm actually playing at a decent level now.

Before I was making mistakes and I knew it wasn't my fault it was very frustrating, now when I mess up I can tell if I was off with the strum bar or I was just mashing buttons as I lost my concentration.

Cool, I got the 420K and the 500K trophies on my first attempt with Cry of Achilles. I still messed up quite a few times. For the 1K note streak trophy, can I use a bomb to help me with tough parts?

In the End by Black Veil Brides is genuinely one of the best songs in the game to play. Perfect balance between being hard and possible.

chunk3rvd

Grabbed this for £40 at the weekend since the wait for RB4 (Christmas present) is killing me. Having fun so far and I'm enjoying learning a whole new set of muscle memory to play on the new guitar. My complaints so far all Center round the guitar though

After 7 years of only using GH guitars I bought a 2nd hand Beatles RB set earlier this year and I'm now officially on team mushy. The click on my new GH strum bar is way too loud. I have to turn the TV down when the Mrs goes to bed and I can barely hear the music over the strum bar. Also, my 1 button is really squeaky if I press it on anything but one specific spot. Anyone else got this problem? It's a bit distracting at times and is starting to annoy me

Also having trouble getting the calibration right. The auto-calibration on modern RB guitars is a godsend. How did people get GH calibrated correctly? Did anyone find the auto mode worked for them? Between the calibration and the squeaky button I'm tempted to return my set and see if I have more luck with a new guitar

Probably seems like a negative post but I am having a tonne of fun with the game and I'm definitely glad I bought it!

Oynox

Those premium shows are a bad joke, right?

I mean besides the fact that you have to play the songs at 100% to reach the first place against the "bots", you are ranked second if you are on tie on the first/second place, therefore you only get the second prize... WTF?!

Besides if that I had tons of fun this weekend. However, my guitar is squeeking as well, especially the first upper button. And the lower second and third key sometimes are hard to press. Annoying. Should I try to change the guitar at the store?

But I cannot understand the complaint of the too loud strum bar. Okay, if you really hit it every note it might get annoying, but I often press it only very lightly since it is very sensible. I only really hit it if I play regular rhythms.

I mean besides the fact that you have to play the songs at 100% to reach the first place against the "bots", you are ranked second if you are on tie on the first/second place, therefore you only get the second prize... WTF?!

Is it definitely "second place by default"? Usually in these things if there's a tie on points the player who won the most times will be awarded the prize. So 10+10+6 is worth more than 10+8+8.

deoee

Besides if that I had tons of fun this weekend. However, my guitar is squeeking as well, especially the first upper button. And the lower second and third key sometimes are hard to press. Annoying. Should I try to change the guitar at the store?

But I cannot understand the complaint of the too loud strum bar. Okay, if you really hit it every note it might get annoying, but I often press it only very lightly since it is very sensible. I only really hit it if I play regular rhythms.

You do not have to play master tier to get first place.
I sucked the first time playing the new premium shows got First, third and seventh place and landed on the third place at the end.
So... yeah :]

Also it's on Expert. You can miss plenty of notes there and catch up easily.

Oynox

I played the regular tier, got 100% at the first and second song, missed two notes at the third and were up tie in the end and was ranked 2nd...

Trying again at advanced now. Expert is too difficult for me I think.

/edit

Okay, got 100% at the first, 96% at the second and 92% at the third song but managed to get first nontheless... It seems like it is way more difficult to become overall first on lower difficulties since you have to play all songs perfectly.

Meant to play the new Call of Duty all last night but ended up playing this for hours instead.
wtzgU.gif

Now I'm level 20 and my multiplier and base score upgrades are done. Not sure what to do next, maybe try for 50 stars on Extreme. It's not going to be pretty though.

At level 20 are you getting anymore play tokens or does it just stop?

That must be what happened to me. I've tried the third Premium Show twice now and both times the second song has a scoring bug where I'll be first overall but at the end it has my score as first, the second score is around 1/3 of mine and the rest are all zeroes and none of the bots show up in the ranking. But at the end of the third song I can see that at least one bot got 10 points for that round because they tied me with 28 points meaning we both got two first place and a second place on a song. It's really silly. And it showed the gold trophy next to my name, had me at first place, and even showed me as getting first place rewards but I don't have the Paper Doll note highway.

So yeah, really stupid. But I am getting quite good at playing the three songs that unlock the premium show and then the three songs within. So I guess that's a bonus.

Do either of the other two premium shows unlock note highways or player cards? If it's just more boosts I don't really care for the rewards.

Oynox

That must be what happened to me. I've tried the third Premium Show twice now and both times the second song has a scoring bug where I'll be first overall but at the end it has my score as first, the second score is around 1/3 of mine and the rest are all zeroes and none of the bots show up in the ranking. But at the end of the third song I can see that at least one bot got 10 points for that round because they tied me with 28 points meaning we both got two first place and a second place on a song. It's really silly. And it showed the gold trophy next to my name, had me at first place, and even showed me as getting first place rewards but I don't have the Paper Doll note highway.

So yeah, really stupid. But I am getting quite good at playing the three songs that unlock the premium show and then the three songs within. So I guess that's a bonus.

Do either of the other two premium shows unlock note highways or player cards? If it's just more boosts I don't really care for the rewards.
Those shows are quite bugged anyway. Sometimes it shows no "rivals" at the end of the song. I am shown in first place but the following spaces are empty.

And no, the other shows only unlock boosts. Those status boosts are completely senseless in my opinion since you will inevitably reach 20... those coin boosts... I guess they are not worth the effort.

Those shows are quite bugged anyway. Sometimes it shows no "rivals" at the end of the song. I am shown in first place but the following spaces are empty.

And no, the other shows only unlock boosts. Those status boosts are completely senseless in my opinion since you will inevitably reach 20... those coin boosts... I guess they are not worth the effort.

I take it they only let you try the "free" method of doing premium shows by starring the three other songs a few times before it forces you to use the paid currency? Because after my third attempt (and getting a tie twice) the three songs are now grayed out and even if I play them in the music catalog it doesn't show me as having earned any stars on them as far as the premium show thing is concerned. Which is really dumb. I thought of dropping it down to advanced just to get 100% on the songs and not have to deal with getting ties with the dumb AI but now I can't do the premium show unless I pay.

I also noticed the trophy for Awesome in all 13 venues is dumb because it doesn't count the awesome for the tutorial set despite it showing as as Awesome on the menus. I figured that would be the case so I replayed it and got the trophy to pop. Lots of extremely tedious trophies in this game.

This free weekend went on a bit longer than expected, still got about 7 hours left.

Should be enough to try and grab some of trophies.

I didn't really bother with the game this weekend. All those songs to choose from but I didn't really want to play them, scrolled through the list and wasn't really feeling anything.

I guess the problem is that it's 200 songs, most of which I wouldn't personally buy if they were DLC, so I didn't have the urge to play them, whereas it's much more fun when they turn up in channels and so you're just playing what the game throws at you.

I didn't really bother with the game this weekend. All those songs to choose from but I didn't really want to play them, scrolled through the list and wasn't really feeling anything.

I guess the problem is that it's 200 songs, most of which I wouldn't personally buy if they were DLC, so I didn't have the urge to play them, whereas it's much more fun when they turn up in channels and so you're just playing what the game throws at you.
I think I played More than a Feeling 10 times this weekend. I also used the opportunity to get a few trophies (420K without a powerup, 500K, and 50 stars on expert using low intensity songs.)

The free party pass you get doesn't kick in till you log in to GHTV i believe. So if you were to log in just before it ended, you'd have pretty much all day left today.
Ah that makes sense.

I hope they do this again some time.

Caleb187

Anybody with weird-feeling sticky buttons? I fixed mine by popping off the button, scraping off any plastic burrs I saw, then popping it back on. Feels a lot smoother/easier to press now.

elfinke

Apologies if this has been discussed, but what is the new guitar like for lefties (ie upside down)? Even if you're a righty you can probably answer the basic questions I have.

Is it still comfortable to rest on your leg/lap? Does the strum bar slowly vibrate its way down and eventually end up resting - annoyingly - on your strumming hand? I'm keen for a new plastic guitar game to supplement Rocksmith and GH is currently 20% off here in Australia, I'm a bit tempted to jump in.

CTjF0KhUcAExasf.jpg

They really aren't going slowly with new music.

Iggy Pop - Real Wild Child (Wild One)
White Stripes - Seven Nation Army
Evanescence - Going Under
Bully - Trying
Leon Bridges - Coming Home
Lonely the Brave - Victory Line

Does anyone have any idea what the little yellow chevrons at the side of the highway represent? I only notice them now and then, they're tiny, but they don't seem to have anything to do with my streak and they just scroll past and disappear. Surely they mean something?

pacman85

Apologies if this has been discussed, but what is the new guitar like for lefties (ie upside down)? Even if you're a righty you can probably answer the basic questions I have.

Is it still comfortable to rest on your leg/lap? Does the strum bar slowly vibrate its way down and eventually end up resting - annoyingly - on your strumming hand? I'm keen for a new plastic guitar game to supplement Rocksmith and GH is currently 20% off here in Australia, I'm a bit tempted to jump in.
I would actually be curious to know this as well as I'm a fellow lefty thinking about picking this up here in the US during Target's Black Friday sale where they will have this game $60 with the guitar.

Orcastar

They still haven't fixed the daily login bonuses? Seriously....

Does anyone have any idea what the little yellow chevrons at the side of the highway represent? I only notice them now and then, they're tiny, but they don't seem to have anything to do with my streak and they just scroll past and disappear. Surely they mean something?

I've been wondering about these too.

Not played live much much yet so I wasn't sure. Just did a google search and found a Reddit thread that says apparently it's your previous note streak record?

Not sure that's true. It's appearing in songs I haven't played, and more than once sometimes. Maybe it is somehow related to that but I've got no idea what it's trying to tell me.

Not sure that's true. It's appearing in songs I haven't played, and more than once sometimes. Maybe it is somehow related to that but I've got no idea what it's trying to tell me.

Well, let's say you're playing a new song and you start with 30 notes, break that combo. Then the next time you come up on 30 note streak later in the song do you see the mark? I would imagine that's how it works if that's what it's showing.

Why do I very rarely suddenly get 1,000+ coins on a song? It's not tied to leveling up since that doesn't appear to give any coin bonuses somewhat oddly. In fact I have a somewhat difficult time figuring out how they calculate the status and coin payouts on a song. Status hits around 150 for first and seems to go down roughly 10-20 per ranking below that but coins I'll get 198 (most I've gotten without boosts) on some occasions and they get 99% on a song and get 140 coins. I don't get it.

Calibration just seems fucked. I've probably moved it back and forth around 100 times now in songs and when playing online especially it seems to never feel correct. I've been playing on Expert since the first Guitar Hero and got full combos very frequently and on tough songs yet in this game I'm always breaking combos during repetitive streaks of notes and it makes no sense. It's not even when changing fingering (though there's some times there where it seems way off, too). I just don't see me getting 100% pretty much ever online because it seems to randomly miss a note or two no matter what in every song. My friend played the other day and claimed the strum bar stuck (I think that's what she said stuck) but I haven't noticed that. My White 3 button does seem a little stiffer than the rest so that could be the culprit in some fashion but it doesn't really explain why I'll be holding buttons strumming a pattern and it breaks.

Up to level 18 finally so I'm almost there. Just got the 50 million point and 1,000 star trophies but I'm nowhere close to the million strums. And roughly ten more hours to hit the 24 hour trophy. So things are chugging along just fine but it's just frustrating having combos break for what feels like no good reason.

Finally got around to playing through this game this morning. I beat the 'campaign,' which was shorter than expected, then played some Guitar Hero TV.

I like it, but I don't think I'll keep going back to it and will likely sell it. Rock Band 4 is the better game for sure, but this is pretty solid.

I still don't know what to think of the revamped controls. They're tougher to use and can be a pain in the ass, but work well at times too.

The music in the game is great, but much of the best stuff is in GHTV and not in the campaign. It's nice to be able to play Disturbed, koRn, In Flames, Deftones, Tenacious D, The Pretty Reckless, Slipknot...

deoee

CTjF0KhUcAExasf.jpg

They really aren't going slowly with new music.

Iggy Pop - Real Wild Child (Wild One)
White Stripes - Seven Nation Army
Evanescence - Going Under
Bully - Trying
Leon Bridges - Coming Home
Lonely the Brave - Victory Line

Wow it's really great seeing so many new songs so quickly + they add them fast after the premium shows are over!
Bravo :)

Top Bottom