• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guitar Hero Live |OT| Not a Band Game

I'm a guy who's super into Indie, Acoustic, Pop Rock, Electronica Pop and Alternative music so this tracklist is so damn good to me that I can't wait for Black Friday anymore.

I'm conserving some space on my PS4 at the moment and the PS3 and 360 have been retired to the bedroom so I'm thinking Wii U or Xbox One. Any glaring differences or issues with the Wii U version? My girlfriend would prefer that version so she can access it easier (the Wii U is more accessible to her) but if there's a lack of support or some sort of caveat, I'll go One.

A quick reply would be appreciated since we're headed out to grab it soon.

fernoca

I'm a guy who's super into Indie, Acoustic, Pop Rock, Electronica Pop and Alternative music so this tracklist is so damn good to me that I can't wait for Black Friday anymore.

I'm conserving some space on my PS4 at the moment and the PS3 and 360 have been retired to the bedroom so I'm thinking Wii U or Xbox One. Any glaring differences or issues with the Wii U version? My girlfriend would prefer that version so she can access it easier (the Wii U is more accessible to her) but if there's a lack of support or some sort of caveat, I'll go One.

A quick reply would be appreciated since we're headed out to grab it soon.
Late reply of sorts, but no glaring differences. Some reports of stutter during TV gameplay because of streaming and caché here and there (game requires 2GB, so maybe when it cleans caché it does; only noticed a like 3 times), but apparently that's an issue with the 360 version too. Don't know if the other ones have the same.

But overall is the exact same game, does look clean on Wii U. Afterall, is just an HD HUD and HD videos. :p

deoee

They added the stuff from the two "not live" premium sets.
wtzgU.gif

This game's been out for 24 days in Europe and they still haven't fixed the daily log-in bug. So for 21 days in a row, I've been conned out of 1,200 coins, more than 25,000 coins so far.

Have they even mentioned this?

Picked this up for £50 at the weekend. It's OK, but it's really kicking my ass. Struggling to get to grips with the new button layout, but I'll get there eventually. And no matter how much I fiddle with the settings, I feel like the calibration is always slightly out, no matter what. Will keep me going until I can afford Rock Band 4 after Christmas.

This game's been out for 24 days in Europe and they still haven't fixed the daily log-in bug. So for 21 days in a row, I've been conned out of 1,200 coins, more than 25,000 coins so far.

Have they even mentioned this?

It's a visual bug, you actually get the amount of coins you should

I'm now going through the Live portion of this game for about a set a night, after playing GHTV almost exclusively (had to play one Live setlist upon first time playing...)

Though I scoffed at the original sneak peeks that showed playing in front of a crowd, I actually really like the set up. Playlists that are cohesive from a theme perspective (last night did the one with three songs with female lead singers) and crowd interaction is fun.

I'm getting to the point where I can sight read Advanced without doing too bad. Playing songs more than once will almost assuredly result in getting much better. So once I go through all of the Live stuff once on Advanced, I might step it up to Expert there and get a lot of practice on certain note combinations (far left chord + middle note KILLS ME!) then head back to GHTV full time on Expert.

I'm still really, really, really liking the GHTV set up. I'm playing songs I would never have tried to purchase, I'm seeing repeats so I can get better at those songs, I'm consistently getting up in the top three, even on sight reads. It's just really fun.

What's great for me is that my wife usually nurses at 7:30 or so and that gives me an hour of game time. The channels being set up on half hour intervals (mostly) makes knowing the time real easy so I don't get lost in playing for too long.

I honestly think the best thing for GH Live was me trying RB4 and being disappointed. I am still going to get RB4 next year, and it might eventually become my option of choice. But where RB4 came off as a lesser version of RB3, GH Live is like a total breath of fresh air to the Guitar Hero series, which has pretty much always been an also ran compared to Rock Band. GH5 was the last one I really enjoyed (mostly because I could have my avatar as my rocker lol), but Freestyle has done a really great job of making this one special.

Oh, another excellent bug. I'd played (and three-starred) one of the songs to enter a Premium Show, and now the game has completely forgotten it and says I still have to play all three. It had been marked as completed for a couple of days.

That's pretty bullshit when it costs money to complete that song a second time. Game stealing coins from players all the fucking time, it seems. Nice monetisation.

Im gonna be getting this on Black Friday this will be my very first Guitar Hero game Ive ever played..does it come with all of the songs(I know silly question but just need to know) will be getting this on the PS4 since I assume its better there? Thanks!

fernoca

Im gonna be getting this on Black Friday this will be my very first Guitar Hero game Ive ever played..does it come with all of the songs(I know silly question but just need to know) will be getting this on the PS4 since I assume its better there? Thanks!
All versions are the same in general. And depends on what you mean by "all songs".

Like, the game has 40+ songs that can be played at any moment and part of the "story mode" and acess to over 200 videos/songs online.

So, to get the most out of it you need an internet comnection.

All versions are the same in general. And depends on what you mean by "all songs".

Like, the game has 40+ songs that can be played at any moment and part of the "story mode" and acess to over 200 videos/songs online.

So, to get the most out of it you need an internet comnection.

Thanks for the info. What I meant to say is the songs that do not come included with the game do you have to pay extra to get or can you download them with an internet connection of course

fernoca

Thanks for the info. What I meant to say is the songs that do not come included with the game do you have to pay extra to get or can you download them with an internet connection of course
No problem. Outside a patch, you don't download anything else.

You neither purchase anything outside credit, if you want to.

Every song/video is a streamed online (think of Netflix mixed with Pandora, or more like Pluto streaming channel). You either play a channel with any video that is currently live, or you choose a song from the list. For choosing specific songs you either spend credit you earn while playing, or use the aforementioned credit you can buy with money.

In general, with the main purchase you have access to every new song is added. No extra purchases or downloads recquired.

usually checks out for me, other people on reddit (r/guitarhero) have confirmed this is the case for them as well

I got 1,500 coins today, so maybe it is working, just in a stupid way. So you get the day 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 bonus, then it goes back to day 1 again?

The song I'd completed for the premium show came back as completed as well when I played today. Also the Bully video in that premium show is really distracting because the girl in that band is very very attractive. That was a difficult FC, glad I dialled the difficulty down for it.

Does the guitar have an audio output to allow you to use headphones on ps4? If not, does using headphones plugged into a dualshock 4 work with this?

Does the guitar have an audio output to allow you to use headphones on ps4? If not, does using headphones plugged into a dualshock 4 work with this?

The guitar does not, but you can use headphones with the DualShock4. The better option for me has been to plug headphones into my receiver.

Smarty86

Hey guys. I just spent over 2 hours to get the trophy "place 5th or better in 18 consecutive songs on GHTV" but didnt get it... Is this one bugged or what?
I am sure that i played at least 18 songs and never placed worse than 3rd.
I didnt change the channel or did anything else than play.

Does anyone have a clue why it doesnt work?

Hey guys. I just spent over 2 hours to get the trophy "place 5th or better in 18 consecutive songs on GHTV" but didnt get it... Is this one bugged or what?
I am sure that i played at least 18 songs and never placed worse than 3rd.
I didnt change the channel or did anything else than play.

Does anyone have a clue why it doesnt work?
Sorry for your wasted time but they have to be On Demand songs, in other words you need to either use a token or wait for another free weekend. They can't be from regular, channel play.

New premium shows per The Hero Feed.

Pop Punk Perfection
Sum 41 – Fat Lip
Four Year Strong – Just Drive
Tonight Alive – Lonely Girl

Lords of Metal
System of a Down – Toxicity
Bullet for My Valentine – Tears Don’t Fall
Judas Priest – Painkiller

Rival Sons Live
Rival Sons – Electric Man (Live)
Rival Sons – Pressure and Time (Live)
Rival Sons – Keep on Swinging (Live)

Mother. Fucking. Painkiller.

Some other good stuff too. Rival Sons live is cool, only recently started getting into them.

Edit: Looking at the other confirmed bands the next premium shows should include Alice in Chains, Biffy Clyro, St. Vincent, Bring Me the Horizon and Weezer. Weezer is the live show we know about, don't know how they are gonna sort the rest.

Smarty86

Sorry for your wasted time but they have to be On Demand songs, in other words you need to either use a token or wait for another free weekend. They can't be from regular, channel play.

xD Ooooookay. Thx for the answer.

I mean the time was not wasted. Game is still fun, but why do they force you to use plays for trophies. I don't like that. I really hope they give us a free party pass weekend every now and then.

Oh and by the way, does anyone else find the tv mode very repetitive? I already have many songs played 5-6 times and i did only play 10-12 hours in TV mode. And there are still many songs in the list i did only play once or never. Is it just bad luck for me because i always play when the same "programs" are played?

Oh and by the way, does anyone else find the tv mode very repetitive? I already have many songs played 5-6 times and i did only play 10-12 hours in TV mode. And there are still many songs in the list i did only play once or never. Is it just bad luck for me because i always play when the same "programs" are played?

I definitely think they need to program their Live channels better.

Songs repeat too often and there's little variety in the programs themselves. If you took a shot of booze every time you see the words Metal or Indie you would be dead in a few hours.

It drives me crazy because I have a career in radio programming and specifically scheduling 24 hours of music with zero repeats. While at the same time also scheduling in variety based on things like era and genres, song tempos also come into play.

It sounds complicated but we've been doing this in radio for decades and have honestly turned it into a sort of science.

I'm thinking about reaching out to FSG and offering some advice about scheduling and categorizing music librarys, but I have no idea if they would even care.

Smarty86

Songs repeat too often and there's little variety in the programs themselves. If you took a shot of booze every time you see the words Metal or Indie you would be dead in a few hours.

It drives me crazy because I have a career in radio programming and specifically scheduling 24 hours of music with zero repeats. While at the same time also scheduling in variety based on things like era and genres, song tempos also come into play.

It sounds complicated but we've been doing this in radio for decades and have honestly turned it into a sort of science.

I'm thinking about reaching out to FSG and offering some advice about scheduling and categorizing music librarys, but I have no idea if they would even care.

That would be great. I would support that idea ;-)

To be honest, i don't think it should be too complicated to at least avoid repetitions in short times. Yesterday i played the same song three times in under 3 hours. I can understand that there are repetitions when the song library is only comprised of ~200 songs, but not in such short time frames. And i always see the same 10 or something "shows". And there is almost no difference between "Metal Picks", "Metal hour" and other shows including the word "metal". The same goes for other shows including the word "Rock" and so on. I hope they will add a new channel by the end of this year.

That would be great. I would support that idea ;-)

To be honest, i don't think it should be too complicated to at least avoid repetitions in short times. Yesterday i played the same song three times in under 3 hours. I can understand that there are repetitions when the song library is only comprised of ~200 songs, but not in such short time frames. And i always see the same 10 or something "shows". And there is almost no difference between "Metal Picks", "Metal hour" and other shows including the word "metal". The same goes for other shows including the word "Rock" and so on. I hope they will add a new channel by the end of this year.
It's kind of a fine line, though, because one of the complaints I hear in the reviews is "If you want to play a song again, you either have to wait or buy it! I don't want to buy things! Rah!!!" So either people never play the same song twice and they are upset they have to pay for things and can't see some of the same songs, or they get the same song a few times over a long period of time and they get pissed off.

If I see the same song multiple times and it's a song I really like, I'm probably not going to give a shit and have lots of fun. But if I see the same song I hate, I'm likely to switch to the other channel and maybe I'll find something new there. I mean, I've played Fallen Angels by Black Veil Brides a ton, but I play at almost the same time every night and that song is pretty fun to play. So I'm not really that upset when I get the same stuff.

I don't disagree with your complaints, either of you, and if I were playing for hours in a row, I'd be more upset with seeing the same songs over and over. I guess I'm seeing enough variety to keep me happy and/or the songs I see repeated are ones I don't mind (Cochise and Fallen Angels are the ones I've seen the most.)

Smarty86

It's kind of a fine line, though, because one of the complaints I hear in the reviews is "If you want to play a song again, you either have to wait or buy it! I don't want to buy things! Rah!!!" So either people never play the same song twice and they are upset they have to pay for things and can't see some of the same songs, or they get the same song a few times over a long period of time and they get pissed off.

If I see the same song multiple times and it's a song I really like, I'm probably not going to give a shit and have lots of fun. But if I see the same song I hate, I'm likely to switch to the other channel and maybe I'll find something new there. I mean, I've played Fallen Angels by Black Veil Brides a ton, but I play at almost the same time every night and that song is pretty fun to play. So I'm not really that upset when I get the same stuff.

I don't disagree with your complaints, either of you, and if I were playing for hours in a row, I'd be more upset with seeing the same songs over and over. I guess I'm seeing enough variety to keep me happy and/or the songs I see repeated are ones I don't mind (Cochise and Fallen Angels are the ones I've seen the most.)

Yep you are somewhat right with the repetition vs. variety but play token usage point. But then more channels could help, because you can narrow down the songs that will be played on a specific channel and show, but still have more song groupings you can choose from. So i think more channels could be a solution.

Is the campaign mode really just those two festivals? There's nothing else? That was...quick. I'm really struggling with some of these chords, and those double notes - the ones that look like Dr. Mario pills - are really fucking annoying. I just can't seem to get my fingers to reliably cover both buttons.

This will be going back for Rock Band, I reckon. Shame, because it's got a great setlist. Marmozets and Bring Me the Horizon were a welcome surprise.

EDIT: still can't get calibration perfect, and the strum bar is starting to squeak/become stiff. And the whammy bar is quite loose; droops down of its own accord. Piece of shit.

Is the campaign mode really just those two festivals? There's nothing else? That was...quick. I'm really struggling with some of these chords, and those double notes - the ones that look like Dr. Mario pills - are really fucking annoying. I just can't seem to get my fingers to reliably cover both buttons.

This will be going back for Rock Band, I reckon. Shame, because it's got a great setlist. Marmozets and Bring Me the Horizon were a welcome surprise.

EDIT: still can't get calibration perfect, and the strum bar is starting to squeak/become stiff. And the whammy bar is quite loose; droops down of its own accord. Piece of shit.
If you're not playing GHTV, you're missing out on the best part of the game.

Plus a large part of the fun for me is relearning how to play with the new controller. I was super frustrated the first few days but now I'm really starting to feel good with the guitar. Like, I am sight reading songs on Advanced.

Aye, I am doing. Hence the Marmozets comment. Fully agree that the setlist is great and GHTV is a cool way of doing extra tracks. My gripes with the game still stand, though.
Calibration issues are definitely frustrating. Don't know about squeaky strum bars. Never use the whammy bar so doesn't really bother me lol.

Not saying your qualms aren't justified. I just really enjoy the game. You can't go wrong with Rock Band 4 though. It's pretty good as well and will get better over time.

Finally hit level 20 today.

About five days ago I finally tried the Game Calibration a second time after the first time I only did it for a couple songs and one song felt way off. Just turns out the timing on that song was tricky and made me feel like the calibration was off. Game Calibration sounds ugly for the first minute until it seems to sort itself out but after that I no longer felt like I was missing notes due to the game's error and it actually feels like it's my fault when I break combos and such. It made the game infinitely more enjoyable.

I still think there's some dumb/questionable decisions but most of that is tied to the trophies and currency system. There being no clear distinction why I can do double the score of everyone else on Expert and on one song get 150 coins and the other song around 198 coins (always seems to be the top) I can't figure out. And why is there absolutely zero reason for those individual song goals in GHTV? The first time I looked at the song list and saw that was a thing I replayed a song three times to get all the goals completed and there's no bonus coins or status or anything. There's simply no reason for those goals to be there since they're not difficult at all and there's no sense of reward or completion. With the slow UI in waiting for it to flip over to show the progress on a song it's also frustrating. Why not let us use a white button or something to flip from score to goals?

Anyhow, I'm at around 80 million points so I'm inching towards that 100 million trophy but the 1 million strum trophy is ridiculous. I was at 177k when I got my level 20. And that was playing almost entirely on expert. I would imagine people that play on lower difficulty have it much worse. At 500 strums per song as an average (might be a bit low) that's 2,000 songs that need to be completed. With all the breaks between songs there's something like 10 songs an hour so we're looking at 200 hours to get that naturally? Sure, you can just strum as fast as possible and not worry about hitting notes but that's not fun at all.

Great game and I've put at least 30 hours into it already so I feel it was worth it but there's definitely some frustrations.

IzzyF3

I only played a couple hours, but I already consider this the best guitar rhythm game I've ever played. The new controls is fantastic and GHTV is very well done. The song selection in it suites my taste much more than the more rock centric tracks from the older entries.

kaskade

Wondering if I should bite with it at $70 on Amazon... wonder how long it'll stay that price?

I'm thinking of getting it too. I'm assuming it'll probably run until the end of black friday since most places are advertising that price.

How's the game holding up? Do you guys feel like you don't get to play the songs you want with the tokens? Or is it just as fun playing the random songs in Guitar Hero TV?

That was really what worried me most about the game.

I'm thinking of getting it too. I'm assuming it'll probably run until the end of black friday since most places are advertising that price.

How's the game holding up? Do you guys feel like you don't get to play the songs you want with the tokens? Or is it just as fun playing the random songs in Guitar Hero TV?

I wasn't one of those ridiculous "OMG THIS IS THE DEATH OF GAMING" people beforehand because I could understand what the developers were doing, but it still surprised me how much I enjoy GHTV. The thing about it is that you're playing songs you wouldn't normally play, and that's fun in a completely different way to just repetitively playing the same songs over and over.

Like these games before would have on-disc sets of 80 songs but in reality I was just playing the same five or ten over and over and it wears out before long. With GHTV I'm forced to discover new stuff and my game-time is a lot more varied as a result - especially since I enjoy a hell of a lot of stuff in the not-shitty-metal channel.

I got it at launch and I've not even used five play tokens yet to choose a song I specifically want to play, it's all been just enjoying random stuff.

kaskade

I wasn't one of those ridiculous "OMG THIS IS THE DEATH OF GAMING" people beforehand because I could understand what the developers were doing, but it still surprised me how much I enjoy GHTV. The thing about it is that you're playing songs you wouldn't normally play, and that's fun in a completely different way to just repetitively playing the same songs over and over.

Like these games before would have on-disc sets of 80 songs but in reality I was just playing the same five or ten over and over and it wears out before long. With GHTV I'm forced to discover new stuff and my game-time is a lot more varied as a result - especially since I enjoy a hell of a lot of stuff in the not-shitty-metal channel.

I got it at launch and I've not even used five play tokens yet to choose a song I specifically want to play, it's all been just enjoying random stuff.

That's good to hear, I'm going to go ahead and get it since it'll be an xmas gift from my parents. I was the same way about it in regards to worry about the microtransations. It didn't seem bad I just was hoping it wasn't abused. Nice to see that they haven't. I think the ability to log in and have some random assortment of songs to play will actually keep me coming back.

It is only fair to mention though that there is a song called "We Are Done" by "The Madden Brothers" and is the most awful, terrible, rubbish, hateful thing ever created under the guise of being "music," and it will turn up now and then while you're playing.

There should probably be a warning about it on the box next to the age rating. There's also two Good Charlotte songs, as if it wasn't bad enough already.

Quonny

Toys R Us has the $69.99 Black Friday deal right now. Just ordered it. Saves me a trip or refreshing any pages.

Can't wait!

It is only fair to mention though that there is a song called "We Are Done" by "The Madden Brothers" and is the most awful, terrible, rubbish, hateful thing ever created under the guise of being "music," and it will turn up now and then while you're playing.

There should probably be a warning about it on the box next to the age rating. There's also two Good Charlotte songs, as if it wasn't bad enough already.

I prefer any of those songs over that Manta Ray song that came up once. That's got to be the worst thing I've heard/played in the game. There's a handful I don't enjoy playing at all due to weird rhythms or whatever but for being a complete package of terrible music and charting I have to give it to that song. Is it Blame it on the Manta Ray? Some stupid title with Manta Ray, that's all I remember.

But I haven't actually listened much to the lyrics of We Are Done so perhaps it's more vile than its generic music sounds like.

I prefer any of those songs over that Manta Ray song that came up once. That's got to be the worst thing I've heard/played in the game. There's a handful I don't enjoy playing at all due to weird rhythms or whatever but for being a complete package of terrible music and charting I have to give it to that song. Is it Blame it on the Manta Ray? Some stupid title with Manta Ray, that's all I remember.

Haha, I love that song

GHTV is the best thing to happen to the "band" genre in a long time. I love just playing what comes up and it is great seeing the old music videos lol.

But even better is the learning curve is back. If you were an expert Rock Band guitarist you'll have to relearn all over again and it is great. I can still sight read pretty well but there are still chords I struggle to nail and the progression feels more natural when shifting chords.

I even liked how the Live stuff was put together. Every set list seems like it has a reason for being put together. The songs are similar and the crowd and band stuff is goofy but kinda charming.

So yeah, I'm loving it.

Archpath1

Dudes

Game is at target w/ Cartwheel phone app
40% off 2guitar pack
30% off 1 guitar pack

Plus today only 10% off videos games/entertainment coupon off the add

Great deal snagged it

Shitload of songs just announced through short clips.

https://twitter.com/GuitarHero/status/668851563255848961

If anyone recognises any post them. What I remembered:

• Tenacious D - Rize of the Fenix
  • Primus - Jerry Was a Race Car Driver
  • Rage Against the Machine - Killing in the Name Of
  • Walk the Moon - Shut Up and Dance
  • Audioslave - Like a Stone

Bit too tired to recognise the stuff that wasn't blatant to me. 20 songs in total on that video with more to be announced tomorrow apparently.

Top Bottom