• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Guardians: #huntthetruth

So, Walker is a plant. The ODST doesn't seem like a plant and it sounds like his story is about Spartan II program John which would be the truth.

Also Ellie contacting him is huge.

That ending...
His story is legit.

http://www.halopedia.org/John-117
During his first visit to the Atlas' gym, John was confronted by four ODSTs, whose sergeant then ordered the five of them into the boxing ring. In the ensuing fight, John inadvertently killed two of the ODSTs, and left the others severely injured. According to Major Antonio Silva, this incident was orchestrated by the Office of Naval Intelligence in order to test the Spartans' augmentations.

I can't help but feel like we're missing something with the numbers. Both twitter handles have em, the glassed planet picture had them, and the boxing card has em. And did anything come of the star map?

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Okay that was pretty good.

i wish it was like 30min-hr long lol. Really well done recordings. Feels so real. Voice acting music everything is top notch.

BraXzy

That was a really really good episode. I cannot wait to see where this all goes.

Like has been said, the voice acting, the writing and everything on the production side of this is top notch. I look forward to these every week :D

Thoraxes

Really, ONI?

The more they reveal about the organization the more hilariously incompetent they look. This is getting to CIA during the 50s/60s level of failure

There were easier ways to test augmentations.

The buildup to that section in the book isn't as bad as that description makes it sounds.

Also he was pretty much being threatened at the time anyways. (it was still bad though, but the most effective way to test his body out)

The training section that happens after that part of the book goes over what they were doing much better.

Welfare

Really, ONI?

The more they reveal about the organization the more hilariously incompetent they look. This is getting to CIA during the 50s/60s level of failure

There were easier ways to test augmentations.

Yeah, like going up against Marines. They would've been easy.

Kev Kev

The part where they describe SPOILERS
John taking out those ODSTs gave me crazy chills. Me and my buddy agree that the descriptions (I.e. "bone crushing punches" [paraphrasing]) were absolutely perfect. This just keeps getting better and better!

Yeah, cliffhangers aren't good, even if it was the 2nd game in a trilogy.

Do you realise how infuriating that was in 2004?

A game should finish when the story has reached a natural pausing place. It should not continually build and then just cut out. Otherwise all the story that had been building up to that cut off feels pointless.

I think the Halo 2 ending provided enough resolution with regards to important reveals of The Ark, Tartarus's death, Mercy's Death, The conquering of high charity. I'd actually argue that a good trilogy should have a sense of continuity, which so far Halo 4 has not provided.

Synth

Let's be real here... people were NOT happy with how Halo 2 ended. It certainly didn't help that the next game was going to require a completely new console.

FordGTGuy

Banned
Fun fact: Spartan IIs could only spar with each other and
marines in industrial mech suits... IIRC this was Spartan IIs sans MJLONIR. With MJLONIR they would just destroy the industrial equipment which was basically a industrial suit based of the MJLONIR prototype and could only spar with each other in suits.

Let's be real here... people were NOT happy with how Halo 2 ended. It certainly didn't help that the next game was going to require a completely new console.

Seriously. I didn't mind it so much since I played Halo 2's campaign after Halo 3's (my progression through the series over the years was a little complicated haha) and thus was not left with anything unresolved, and either way I had known about the cliffhanger for years. But Halo 2's ending caused a MASSIVE shitshow. People were outright livid and the ending was a large part of why many fans of CE were really disappointed with Halo 2 for a long time. Bungie got shit for that for years, from fans, critics, and even outsiders alike. The common sentiment was that the campaign was massively disappointing, largely (though not exclusively) due to the abrupt ending, but at least the multiplayer was amazing. So it's really weird to see the ending praised as masterful or whatever...

ANYWAY

I'm really digging all the callbacks/references and returning characters in this so far. The canonization of the Starry Night trailer, the return of Sully, the ODST fight, the nod to John playing king of the hill, and of course the protagonist himself being a character from The Graphic Novel. All awesome, and the best part is that it's all done so naturally. None of it's forced, it all makes sense. Honestly I'm just as excited to see who and what they call back to as I am to see where the story goes.

Akai__

Do we actually know, who the interrogator from the Halo 4 Prologue was?

I have a feeling it's Benjamin, even if he doesn't sound like him... Could that be possible? I mean Halsey says he isn't ONI and the way she answers about the kidnapped children/augmentation made me curious after the latest episode.

Random17

Seriously. I didn't mind it so much since I played Halo 2's campaign after Halo 3's (my progression through the series over the years was a little complicated haha) and thus was not left with anything unresolved, and either way I had known about the cliffhanger for years. But Halo 2's ending caused a MASSIVE shitshow. People were outright livid and the ending was a large part of why many fans of CE were really disappointed with Halo 2 for a long time. Bungie got shit for that for years, from fans, critics, and even outsiders alike. The common sentiment was that the campaign was massively disappointing, largely (though not exclusively) due to the abrupt ending, but at least the multiplayer was amazing. So it's really weird to see the ending praised as masterful or whatever...

ANYWAY

I'm really digging all the callbacks/references and returning characters in this so far. The canonization of the Starry Night trailer, the return of Sully, the ODST fight, the nod to John playing king of the hill, and of course the protagonist himself being a character from The Graphic Novel. All awesome, and the best part is that it's all done so naturally. None of it's forced, it all makes sense. Honestly I'm just as excited to see who and what they call back to as I am to see where the story goes.

But in hindsight it is an absurd criticism; since Halo 2 could not have possibly ended without a cliffhanger unless it absorbed Halo 3 completely, using the current storyline.

Anyway, ONI is incredibly incompetent at covering up apparently; the journalist was easily able to uncover the deceit with a few basic questions. He shouldn't have been allowed anywhere near John's original friends (unless ONI is watching him now and is waiting until he reaches the point of no return in terms of snoopy-ness).

Ghazi

I have a feeling it's Benjamin, even if he doesn't sound like him... Could that be possible? I mean Halsey says he isn't ONI and the way she answers about the kidnapped children/augmentation made me curious after the latest episode.
Ben's a journalist, not an interrogator.

I have a feeling it's Benjamin, even if he doesn't sound like him... Could that be possible? I mean she says he isn't ONI and the way she answers about the kidnapped children/augmentation made me curious after the latest episode.

No, we don't yet know who it is. As far as it being Benjamin, it was discussed earlier in the topic, but it seems quite stretch to me. Hunt the Truth takes place in 2558, and Halsey was brought to Requiem in February of that year. So the interview would have to have taken place JUST before she got carted off there. It seems really unlikely that Ben would be granted an "interview" with Halsey anyway, especially in so short of a time frame, so he'd have to have broken in somehow. Plus, the details of that interview just don't mesh quite right with this IMO. It was an interrogation from someone on the inside, not research material.

I had this theory as well, but I crunched some math with the years in the timeline, and they don't add up at all. It's highly unlikely that the interrogator is Ben, unless there's some subversive link that they have ready to reveal at some point.

I was hoping it would either him or Locke, and that they just didn't have the actor cast for the role yet, but it doesn't seem likely when you match up the timeline events.

Ben is going to bite it.

As a matter of fact, it would not surprise me if Locke got involved as well.

Perhaps that's part of what Chief meant when he asked if "Was everything you've done, worth it?"

I realize he's looking at the statue, but if Locke is involved with Ben coming to any "misfortune" then it would make sense.

Ben is going to bite it.

Perhaps that's part of what Chief meant when he asked if "Was everything you've done, worth it?"

I realize he's looking at the statue, but if Locke is involved with Ben coming to any "misfortune" then it would make sense.

I think the "Was everything you've done, worth it?" line was a question that Chief is asking himself, as there's something or a series of somethings that we're either going to witness him do, or play as him and do, that is going to set off a chaotic chain of events.

Whatever MC is up to, I think it's going to be inadvertantly destructive.

scently

I think the "Was everything you've done, worth it?" line was a question that Chief is asking himself, as there's something or a series of somethings that we're either going to witness him do, or play as him and do, that is going to set off a chaotic chain of events.

Whatever MC is up to, I think it's going to be inadvertantly destructive.

I don't see why MC will be asking himself that question given the duality of that advert. If it was a question for MC himself, Locke would have asked that question and it will be as effective.

But in hindsight it is an absurd criticism; since Halo 2 could not have possibly ended without a cliffhanger unless it absorbed Halo 3 completely, using the current storyline.

Anyway, ONI is incredibly incompetent at covering up apparently; the journalist was easily able to uncover the deceit with a few basic questions. He shouldn't have been allowed anywhere near John's original friends (unless ONI is watching him now and is waiting until he reaches the point of no return in terms of snoopy-ness).

You're assuming that him stumbling across the true nature of the SPARTAN-II program wasn't all part of the plan. Give him this shocking revelation, make him work for it, and when they resume feeding him bullshit later, he'll assume it's the real deal.

I don't see why MC will be asking himself that question given the duality of that advert. If it was a question for MC himself, Locke would have asked that question and it will be as effective.

Both trailers are congruent in that both MC and Locke speak to the statue first, and then to the figure laying below it.

aka The Ideal vs The Reality

Audio and story is really well done! Enjoying this!

Is Gabriella Dvorak Jennifer Hale? Sounds like FemShep!!!

That's a hot topic for debate! No one knows for sure. Could just be coincidental, in that they wanted a strong VA to add some more depth to the ARG, or Sarah Palmer and Gabriella Dvorak are the same person- which begs the question- which is the real, and which is the alias?

or Sarah Palmer and Gabriella Dvorak are the same person- which begs the question- which is the real, and which is the alias?

Ahhaha! I never even thought about that possibility! Unlikely, but interesting to consider Spartan IVs being part of an ONI cover up. Not totally outwith the realms of possibility...

Somnia

I really hope this becomes something special and not just a dead end. I hope what happens here will be noticeable by at least us in Halo 5. It might not be a major thing as they can't expect everyone to listen to these, but at least have this lead up to something within Halo 5... like maybe we just know more regarding ONI's intentions while playing 5.

Absolutely! They have been done extremely well, I too am thinking about what other things they might doff the cap to in future episodes!

I really hope this becomes something special and not just a dead end. I hope what happens here will be noticeable by at least us in Halo 5. It might not be a major thing as they can't expect everyone to listen to these, but at least have this lead up to something within Halo 5... like maybe we just know more regarding ONI's intentions while playing 5.
Like what? It's ONI propaganda. They're covering up their tracks, manipulating media, and hiding a secret genocidal weapon that kills any type of species it comes into contact with.(Nightfall and Escalation comic)

Rightful Chaos

Neo Member
Ben is going to bite it.

Well, Locke IS an assassin. And considering what Giarud did in the last podcast... well there's a pretty good chance ONI is going to go after him now.

Locke's profile link for reference - http://www.halopedia.org/Jameson_Locke#cite_note-wp_locke-1

Somnia

Like what? It's ONI propaganda. They're covering up their tracks, manipulating media, and hiding a secret genocidal weapon that kills any type of species it comes into contact with.(Nightfall and Escalation comic)

Well I mean I hope the story involves them more like covering stuff up. I kind of want it to become less of a focus on all the alien involvement (it will still be there), but have ONI be the enemy for example, something different. We'll see I guess.

Well, Locke IS an assassin. And considering what Giarud did in the last podcast... well there's a pretty good chance ONI is going to go after him now.

Locke's profile link for reference - http://www.halopedia.org/Jameson_Locke#cite_note-wp_locke-1

I don't know. After watching Nightfall, I think Locke would have some moral problems with assassinating a reporter for whistleblowing. Granted, they convinced him to hunt down MC, but MC is a soldier and we don't know exactly why they're considering him a traitor yet.

Top Bottom