• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Hunt The Truth Season 2 |OT| Glassed Planets Have Bad Records...

krang

Finished 12 missions in Halo 5 then listened this final episode.
HOLY SHIT
MAYA becomes a smart AI?!

And I can confirm there is very little connection with the plot of halo 5...Which is quite disappointing. Story wise, I think Hunt the Truth > Halo 5.

Something something extended universe shouldn't be required to understand the games something something.

Cendald

Neo Member
I've been eying this podcast for a while now, there is just one thing that has stopped me from starting it: I've only played the first game, nor do I have any knowledge of the EU.

Although I might have picked up a few details here and there, I am worried that this podcast won't make any sense to me since it seems so tied to Halo 5. Will I have trouble following the narrative, or understanding anything at all?

I've been eying this podcast for a while now, there is just one thing that has stopped me from starting it: I've only played the first game, nor do I have any knowledge of the EU.

Although I might have picked up a few details here and there, I am worried that this podcast won't make any sense to me since it seems so tied to Halo 5. Will I have trouble following the narrative, or understanding anything at all?

No problem at all. First season does an excellent job of laying out the current status quo.

You might need to know that the Covenant war is over, though, if you didn't already.

thenexus6

I have a question I just finished Halo 5 so this is spoiler for mission 4/5 I can't remember.

When Chief and Locke first meet they have to get off that planet ASAP because of the Guardian wrecking shit. Is that the same place Fero was at the end of episode 6

shoreu

I have a question I just finished Halo 5 so this is spoiler for mission 4/5 I can't remember.

When Chief and Locke first meet they have to get off that planet ASAP because of the Guardian wrecking shit. Is that the same place Fero was at the end of episode 6

Yup lol

Great ending. Hunt the Truth season 1 and 2 have had some great storylines. I hope this sort of thing continues within the Halo universe. I would love for them to keep doing seasons of this regardless of Halo releases, maybe 2 or 3 a year.

Gaz_RB

I still think season 1 is way better than season 2, but I liked the ending. Looking forward to diving into Halo 5's campaign.

Trey

The whole Jackal ship scene was cribbed directly from First Strike or Contact Harvest, I can't remember which one.

M52B28

Banned
What an ending. So damn visceral. Hopefully, they produce another season for Halo 6 or maybe even expansions of the Halo universe. What a way to end. So damn good.

So am I the only one who generally like S2 more? Guess so. Ah well.

I mean, I thought both were great. I just thought season 2 had more moments that were really amazing, and the finale twist was great.

The_Decryptor

Neo Member
So I thought
smart AIs didn't have access to the memories of their "donor" brains, has scanning technology improved? Also how did BB get a team to Maya quickly enough?

Either way, it's still a good series. Would have liked to hear more Mark Hamill, or some point to that whole plot line. Maya was good,
she could be the new AI in charge of Midnight

Now I know that HTT is not interactive, but the WRITING for this seems to be on another level from the main games.

I've only played 2 missions in H5 yet, but even this early there is a few wee niggles related to the writing that could be significantly improved and tightened up.

Get the HTT writing team involved in the main games!! Or like other's have suggested give us some spin-off games!

HTT has this dark, noir-ish vibe that reminds me most of ODST, and that is a great thing.

My 2c.

I was thinking....

At the end of 1, ben's last episode was uploaded because of Fero right? Then we got her snippet of why she will continue to hunt the truth..

At the end of 2,
who the hell uploaded this? Did i miss something on if they will continue with a season 3? IS hunt the truth officially over? Any of you catch what the hunt the truth guys on the Halo live event said? I missed it..

I was thinking....

At the end of 1, ben's last episode was uploaded because of Fero right? Then we got her snippet of why she will continue to hunt the truth..

At the end of 2,
who the hell uploaded this? Did i miss something on if they will continue with a season 3? IS hunt the truth officially over? Any of you catch what the hunt the truth guys on the Halo live event said? I missed it..

End of Season 1 was uploaded by Petra Janecek I believe, as she did the ending narration. It didn't seem like the actual audio files released by Ben during the first season were controlled or edited by ONI, just the behind the scenes stuff.

When Season 2 premiered, they updated the website to reflect an ONI computer system, so at that point I feel we're gotten Season 1 there as "evidence" and Season 2 is there because it's
BB's report on the whole Maya/FERO matter.

All I caught from the Halo 5 Live event is that Ian said they really wanted to spread their legs with season 2 :) I don't think we've got a definitive answer on S03.. but I think Frankie said in the past they know it's popular and great and awesome and hope to find ways to use it in the future (or something similar).

End of Season 1 was uploaded by Petra Janecek I believe, as she did the ending narration. It didn't seem like the actual audio files released by Ben during the first season were controlled or edited by ONI, just the behind the scenes stuff.

When Season 2 premiered, they updated the website to reflect an ONI computer system, so at that point I feel we're gotten Season 1 there as "evidence" and Season 2 is there because it's
BB's report on the whole Maya/FERO matter.

All I caught from the Halo 5 Live event is that Ian said they really wanted to spread their legs with season 2 :) I don't think we've got a definitive answer on S03.. but I think Frankie said in the past they know it's popular and great and awesome and hope to find ways to use it in the future (or something similar).

aahhh that makes sense now. Yeah i was wrong to think it was fero ending season 1 lol. Your spoiler part made it more clear to me now. Thank you.

Hopefully we have them involved in something down the line. we cant let them leave us! lol

Monocle

I had no idea I was listening to the finale. Great ending. Given the events of Halo 5, it seems possible we'll see characters from this season in future Halo fiction, maybe even a game.

I would love for Hunt the Truth to keep going somehow.

maximrace

Wow this was a great ride, congrats to everyone involved. I hope they continue to think out of the box for lore like HTT was

RoKKeR

Can we get the writers of Hunt the Truth on Halo 6? The storytelling and writing here (albeit in a different medium) are absolutely sublime and a huge leap over what we see in the games. It is more grounded, mysterious, has compelling character development and genuine intrigue. I hope Halo 6 can bring some of that subtlety and quality writing to the table, because Hunt the Truth has undeniably raised the bar for how stories are told in the Halo universe.

Rocket786

So just finished listening to both seasons a couple days ago and decided to see if there was a thread up on GAF discussing them, because holy shit! What a great pair of podcasts!

I loved the style of both seasons even though they were vastly different from each other. Season 1 was great investigative journalism with a fantastic finale that really tied everything together. But I think season 2 ending takes the cake. It was just all sorts of awesome!

Now I haven't finished Halo 5's campaign yet, but I have played all the previous Halo's multiple times. It's disappointing to read reviews of how the story in Halo 5 is disappointing, I can't fathom why it can't be something like season 2 of HtT. I mean, you take a look at season 2 of HtT as a whole and you have all the markings for some great mission set ups.

Fero trying to protect her followers from getting massacred. Fero going on a covert mission to find the truth about anomalies which ends in a chase sequence with a bad ass Spartan drop out rebel. Fero getting attacked by a Jackal ship to try to escape. Fero being put in the middle of a city about to get completely destroyed while she tries to escape.

These are all great gameplay scenarios with a fantastic story tied around it that would really leave a lasting impression within a game. Now I'm not saying to just use season 2 of HtT and make a game out of it, but clearly there are minds within 343 that can create a compelling story within the Halo universe, so why are the games falling short of this? Halo 1 had this kind of story tied around compelling gameplay scenarios, so why does the story of current Halo games have to be so dumbed down so much?

Meh, end rant I guess. At least the gameplay in Halo 5 is amazing so far.

Top Bottom