• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT3| Remember Reach?

Fracas

#fuckonami
I'm curious as to what the CoD crowd's going to think of vehicles in multiplayer. I don't think they're gonna go for it.

I'm also curious to see what the CoD engine's going to do with maps that are easily 5 or so times bigger than normal with vehicles thrown in.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
30 is fine for me, but at least have it locked. The amount of framedrops in Reach is pretty pathetic.

Right. I was actually in shock to see the framerate drops in certain areas of maps in Reach. Like when the game first came out. It really fucked with me.

60fps isn't as amazing as 5fps is fucking unplayable. I see what you're trying to say though.

Yea but you're posts on this issue is annoying just cause you're settling for mediocrity. Its 2012. My PC could run H3 and Reach at 100+fps. I'm just sick and tired of shittiness. I just got a shitty banana milkshake doesn't even taste good.

feel

I don't think most people even know what 60fps even is. They just play the game their friends play.
They don't know what it is but they do notice other games don't feel quite as nice for some reason, and that's one of the reasons why they keep buying the COD games.

Honestly, I don't like 60 fps that much. The only reason being that the switch between 60 and 30 is jarring. Switching back to Halo 3 after CoD4 was super weird.
KuGsj.gif

Now if all games could somehow run at 60 fps.. I would be okay with that.

Ughh I hate this argument. You can still appreciate the greatness of 60fps by just PLAYING. Just because you or someone can't name the feature doesn't discount it's greatness.

Think of it like in the opposite direction. If the game ran at 5fps. Sure as FUCK they will be wondering whats wrong with the game and go looking it up.

True enough. What I mean to say is that I just don't think the difference between 30 and 60 fps is something that most people notice as much as people here would notice. I mean, I can certainly tell the difference, complain about lack of AA, or AO, or sub 720p/1080p... but I seriously doubt it's something most people really notice (or care about) when playing games.

Also the difference between 5 and 30 fps is drastically different than 30 and 60 fps. Especially to the average eye.

Honestly, I don't like 60 fps that much. The only reason being that the switch between 60 and 30 is jarring. Switching back to Halo 3 after CoD4 was super weird.
KuGsj.gif

Now if all games could somehow run at 60 fps.. I would be okay with that.

It is always weird. My eyes have to adjust to the inferiority.

Tashi

Yea but you're posts on this issue is annoying just cause you're settling for mediocrity. Its 2012. My PC could run H3 and Reach at 100+fps. I'm just sick and tired of shittiness. I just got a shitty banana milkshake doesn't even taste good.

It's because I don't think it's as big of a deal as some make it out to be. I've enjoyed Halo at 30fps for years and now suddenly it's not good enough? Whatever, not a big deal to me. Keeping it locked is though.

people saying it's time for Halo to go for COD's throat....

329121_o.gif

the dude in the black is Halo. Indy is COD.

But... I thought the future was black...?

It's because I don't think it's as big of a deal as some make it out to be. I've enjoyed Halo at 30fps for years and now suddenly it's not good enough? Whatever, not a big deal to me. Keeping it locked is though.

+1

60fps is not the reason people buy CoD.

kylej

Banned
"Whatever"

"It's good enough"

"It's not a big deal to me"

Bungie has trained fans of the Halo franchise very well over the years.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I don't feel that 30fps is much worse than 60 at all. Games that run at 30 have done a great job with controls, like Halo and Battlefield. It's possible for a game to look good and control well.

"Whatever"

"It's good enough"

"It's not a big deal to me"

Bungie has trained fans of the Halo franchise very well over the years.

Having decent AI and enemy encounters in a game is more important to me than 60fps. Honestly, it's the hardware, we'll get 60fps next-gen.

FyreWulff

60FPS Perfect Dark XBLA basically fixed the only problem the original game had
and not being blurred to fuck when you respawned helped too

I had a hard time with it in Halo 3 and ODST for some reason. Halo 1 and 2 were fine, I'm assuming not being in an HD format had something to do with it. I feel that the 30fps in Reach is well "hidden". Is that due to the motion blur solution? I don't know.

If Halo 4 manages to "mask" 30 fps without frame drops I will be happy.
Maybe it's not the framerate but the aiming controls in 3? Or perhaps it could be all the added visual noise in the environments.

I wouldn't mind an "Unlock Framerate" option in Halo 4à la Bioshock. Bring on the screen tearing, my eyes are immune to finding it distracting!

60FPS Perfect Dark XBLA basically fixed the only problem the original game had
and not being blurred to fuck when you respawned helped too
It also helps that you don't have to play it on the concentrated hate in a plastic shell form that is the N64 controller.

Anyway, here's an idea:

Delete Forge: spend the effort on making more high-quality maps, more often. I'm talking 5 map mappacks for 800 Allards, released once every 2 months. Certain Affinity and 343i can work on them every other release.

edit: By delete Forge I mean no Forge World type stuff. Editing weapon placement, etc, is still fine. All Forge maps suck, there: I said it.

kylej

Banned
Anyway, here's an idea:

Delete Forge: spend the effort on making more high-quality maps, more often. I'm talking 5 map mappacks for 800 Allards, released once every 2 months. Certain Affinity and 343i can work on them every other release.

... what in the world? Trials Evolution has an editor roughly 14 billion times better than Forge. Far Cry 2 has the same and that game is closing in on 4 years old. Stop setting your expectations so damn low.

Anyway, here's an idea:

edit: By delete Forge I mean no Forge World type stuff. Editing weapon placement, etc, is still fine. All Forge maps suck, there: I said it.
You have my controller.

Tashi

Anyway, here's an idea:

You played all Forge maps brah?

Anyway, here's an idea:

They only suck because we've never gotten a proper map editor to make maps with. Something akin to Far Cry's map editor could produce some gems, me thinks.

Having decent AI and enemy encounters in a game is more important to me than 60fps. Honestly, it's the hardware, we'll get 60fps next-gen.

Nope, they will increase graphics and resolution before framerate and it will continue to suffer unless people make a bigger concern and vocalize this. Halo's had 5 games CE, H2, H3, ODST and Reach over two consoles and framerates almost getting worse really. They'll continue this trend too because sales aren't bad enough and graphics is king to these developers. They could have made Halos on 360 60fps, CoD does it, but Bungie and now 343 don't want to sacrifice the pretty graphics. Its annoying I hardly stare and look I want to PLAY Halo.

You played all Forge maps brah?

Nope. Just talking about the ones in matchmaking.

They only suck because we've never gotten a proper map editor to make maps with. Something akin to Far Cry's map editor could produce some gems, me thinks.

I say all or nothing. Seriously, ever since Foundry, Forge maps have been pooping on matchmaking in Halo. It would be nice to see something like Far Cry's editor, for sure, but seeing how that's so unlikely in my eyes, I'd rather they just spend the effort else where, at least until next gen.

Nope, they will increase graphics and resolution before framerate and it will continue to suffer unless people make a bigger concern and vocalize this. Halo's had 5 games CE, H2, H3, ODST and Reach over two consoles and framerates almost getting worse really. They'll continue this trend too because sales aren't bad enough and graphics is king to these developers. They could have made Halos on 360 60fps, CoD does it, but Bungie and now 343 don't want to sacrifice the pretty graphics. Its annoying I hardly stare and look I want to PLAY Halo.

Maybe you're right, and it still will be 30fps next gen. People won't be voicing their concerns and vocalizing, because few even have those concerns, at all.

Portugeezer

Gold Member
... what in the world? Trials Evolution has an editor roughly 14 billion times better than Forge. Far Cry 2 has the same and that game is closing in on 4 years old. Stop setting your expectations so damn low.

The diversity of the creations are amazing, endless content.

kylej

Banned
I say all or nothing. Seriously, ever since Foundry, Forge maps have been pooping on matchmaking in Halo. It would be nice to see something like Far Cry's editor, for sure, but seeing how that's so unlikely in my eyes, I'd rather they just spend the effort else where, at least until next gen.

Ugh(1).gif

I don't mean to harp on this over and over, but expect more, guys. You have one of the largest and most well capitalized development teams in all of video games and you're hoping they'll cut features to try to get a few more maps in the game. You can have both.

Ugh(1).gif

I don't mean to harp on this over and over, but expect more, guys. You have one of the largest and most well capitalized development teams in all of video games and you're hoping they'll cut features to try to get a few more maps in the game. You can have both.

You're right.

Delete everything. Run the game at 10fps, and spend all the resources on making the water the best the industry has ever seen.

Seriously, though. Expecting all that and more just leads to cynicism from being constantly let down. Always under-shoot your expectations: then you can be pleasantly surprised, or conservatively content.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I, umm, agree with kylej. It doesn't have to be an if/or situation. The idea of a map editor was fantastic, but Forge was never quite adequate. I want 343 to either expand the map editor idea or move on to a full blown proper map creator. And I also want frequent map packs (though I have no expectations of 5 maps for 800 allards).

Tawpgun

Trials editor is absurd for the amount of stuff you can do.

But goddamn is it clunky as hell. I had a tough time making a simple track in the lite editor.

Removing Forge would also remove a pretty big chunk of the user base. I don't think it'll be removed.

I do agree, however, that there is some poop maps in Matchmaking. Maybe if they just keep all the user-created maps in a Community playlist in Halo 4, all would be nice and dandy.

Seriously, though. Expecting all that and more just leads to cynicism from being constantly let down. Always under-shoot your expectations: then you can be pleasantly surprised, or conservatively content.

Don't vocalize said cynicism too much or they will think you are content with shit.

Did you even FUCKIN READ YOUR OWN GODDAMN ARTICLE?

Jackson is saying the EXACT OPPOSITE.

Holy Shit, IDK where to start.

The only good frame rates are multiples of 24.

Removing Forge would also remove a pretty big chunk of the user base. I don't think it'll be removed.

I do agree, however, that there is some poop maps in Matchmaking. Maybe if they just keep all the user-created maps in a Community playlist in Halo 4, all would be nice and dandy.

I like the way you think.

Jackson's reasoning is sound, but so is the opposition's. Same case with Halo. I myself prefer every other aspect of a game at the expense of fps (as long as it doesn't dip below 30), while others disagree. Take a look at the first Crysis. That game felt smooth as hell even below 30fps because of certain techniques they were using.

Thank you for this. I'm with you on that, completely.

Don't vocalize said cynicism too much or they will think you are content with shit.

As long as said shit isn't grey... You're right, I can't argue with that.

Top Bottom