• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT3| Remember Reach?

Coding on paper is stupid, and so not real world, but I understand why they do it. Many places make you do it when you interview too, bleh. Luckily my current job I started recently didn't make me do that and put me on a 3-month contract that rolls to full time instead (everyone has gotten hired after). I started CS a few years back but quit because I wasn't learning what I wanted and needed to be at the time. I do python/django with some php as well as front end web development now for an ad/branding firm. What kinda work/coding do you guys do or plan to get into?
I'm not targeted in this, but I do Java, C#, ASP.NET, SQL Server, and I'm learning Erlang. Dunno what I want to do yet

senador

Banned
I'm not targeted in this, but I do Java, C#, ASP.NET, SQL Server, and I'm learning Erlang. Dunno what I want to do yet

Oh man, you do all the icky stuff! ;) How do you like them? Java was what I was learning in school but had no desire to learn at the time. I'd love to learn any of the C's to get into games and/or iOS development. For now though I love python and want to just better at it.

Coding on paper is stupid, and so not real world, but I understand why they do it. Many places make you do it when you interview too, bleh. Luckily my current job I started recently didn't make me do that and put me on a 3-month contract that rolls to full time instead (everyone has gotten hired after). I started CS a few years back but quit because I wasn't learning what I wanted and needed to be at the time. I do python/django with some php as well as front end web development now for an ad/branding firm. What kinda work/coding do you guys do or plan to get into?

I know java, C# and C++ and even then, I am hardly proficient in them. Dabbled with Python, Actionscript, SQL but my practice is lacking. I think QA is more for me though. Spent 8 months with an assurance firm as a test analyst and finding peoblems was so much more fun than solving them :p

I'll hopefully spend the summer making a game in XNA or Flash or something. My Halo one died a death not fit for any man :p

Reposting from another thread,

Hey guys, May is Cystic Fibrosis awareness month, so if you could maybe take 3 minutes out of your day to watch this video, and see what my kid and many others go through every day it would mean a lot to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTHHOJJYA0U

Wow, I really feel for everyone who has CF, and am always amazed by how strong willed kids who have it can be. My thoughts are with you and your child.

I myself do have CF, though not in a 'traditional' sense. I only have one of the CF mutations, so while I do have lung issues(which have thankfully has only become better as I grew up), it is mainly pancreatic issues I have to deal with.. Believe it or not I wasn't diagnosed until I was 17, when it turned out I was in the hospital with chronic pancreatitus and shingles. Now that I know what issues I have I can work with it and function fairly well..so I lucked out. Once again, I really feel for what you and your child have to go through. Keeping stress free is incredibly difficult, but the less stress I have, the healthier I am.. so I suppose thats one thing that may help if you watch for it in the future.

Well that looks fun, haha. Bizzare, goofy, cheesy and awful graphically...but fun. Still it probably plays like CoD4 so blah...

From the trailer thread:
itUIOcaImPoMF.gif

Cowboys and Helicopters. Sold. Well not really, but that is kinda awesome, lol.

senador

Banned
I know java, C# and C++ and even then, I am hardly proficient in them. Dabbled with Python, Actionscript, SQL but my practice is lacking. I think QA is more for me though. Spent 8 months with an assurance firm as a test analyst and finding peoblems was so much more fun than solving them :p

I'll hopefully spend the summer making a game in XNA or Flash or something. My Halo one died a death not fit for any man :p

Cool man, your aim is to get into games yeah? Doing QA are you interested in also writing test suites and fixes? Thats how a lot of people get into it and how many places start you out. Could be a good way to advance yourself.

I'd love to do XNA or something, but I'm totally on the web side and would have to make a switch over. Maybe later. Tashi is doing some XNA stuff now. Cool shit. Quite a few HaloGAF coders. :)

Oh man, you do all the icky stuff! ;) How do you like them? Java was what I was learning in school but had no desire to learn at the time. I'd love to learn any of the C's to get into games and/or iOS development. For now though I love python and want to just better at it.
Java is what I've been doing the longest, but I still don't really know how to do anything that interesting, at least in my opinion. No object listeners or anything like that, or taking input/outputting to the OS. C# is pretty awesome, and in addition you get to use Visual Studio, which is basically the best. Oh and I kinda know Perl, my job right now is converting old Perl scripts to C#. SQL isn't that bad. I learned how to do Regular Expressions on it, and that was pretty cool. ASP.NET combined with C# and SQL Server essentially makes webpages into object oriented languages, which is neat. Only dabbled with that though.

Anyone know what the name of the controller Sotaru was using in the game informer video.
I don't know why you've quoted me here...

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Cool man, your aim is to get into games yeah? Doing QA are you interested in also writing test suites and fixes? Thats how a lot of people get into it and how many places start you out. Could be a good way to advance yourself.

I'd love to do XNA or something, but I'm totally on the web side and would have to make a switch over. Maybe later. Tashi is doing some XNA stuff now. Cool shit. Quite a few HaloGAF coders. :)

I'm having a lot of fun too. Pretty close to having a base gameplay prototype up and running.

Edit: Frankie make sure the update is funny. Thanks <3

Ramirez

Wow, I really feel for everyone who has CF, and am always amazed by how strong willed kids who have it can be. My thoughts are with you and your child.

I myself do have CF, though not in a 'traditional' sense. I only have one of the CF mutations, so while I do have lung issues(which have thankfully has only become better as I grew up), it is mainly pancreatic issues I have to deal with.. Believe it or not I wasn't diagnosed until I was 17, when it turned out I was in the hospital with chronic pancreatitus and shingles. Now that I know what issues I have I can work with it and function fairly well..so I lucked out. Once again, I really feel for what you and your child have to go through. Keeping stress free is incredibly difficult, but the less stress I have, the healthier I am.. so I suppose thats one thing that may help if you watch for it in the future.

Is your life expectancy the same as a normal healthy person?

Gooood.....Gooooooooooooddddddddddd..

Now just role out a Halo 4 trailer to stomp CoD into the ground and make tomorrow better.

Halo 4 really needs to advertise during a big sporting event. For realz. Get the casual interest.

Is your life expectancy the same as a normal healthy person?

Its a coin toss. It can go anyway at anytime, but its not the same as others with CF. To clarify, I may have a normal life expectancy.

senador

Banned

Was doing the same thing but you super beat me.

Java is what I've been doing the longest, but I still don't really know how to do anything that interesting, at least in my opinion. No object listeners or anything like that, or taking input/outputting to the OS. C# is pretty awesome, and in addition you get to use Visual Studio, which is basically the best. Oh and I kinda know Perl, my job right now is converting old Perl scripts to C#. SQL isn't that bad. I learned how to do Regular Expressions on it, and that was pretty cool. ASP.NET combined with C# and SQL Server essentially makes webpages into object oriented languages, which is neat. Only dabbled with that though.

Nice! SQL is super good to know, I've just heard SQL Server or whatever blows. Maybe not? OOP is the way to go, I won't code any other way now. That's why I use django with python. We did some perl at my last job, not bad, but everyone seems to be migrating away from it, just like you are. All those languages are supposed to be good for getting a job, especially games or MS stuff. Cool man. :)

I'm having a lot of fun too. Pretty close to having a base gameplay prototype up and running.

I'm glad you picked it up after debating it a week or 2 back. Good work, keep it up!

Welp, I have a new set of favorite HaloGAF-fers. haha

Karl2177

Java, C, C++(as in I know them, but probably am not the best at). I know a bit of Python, as well as having web experience with HTML, CSS, and a bit of Flash(which is utter trash). I have a certain knack for database work, but it's mostly crappy Java based ones that are hella slow. Something that's incredibly interesting(to me at least) is the stats work I'm doing with it. As a few of you guys know, I'm collecting everyone's final Reach competitive stats. I can create a program(and actively am) that takes the data and presents it in a much more user friendly way than Excel does.

Oddly enough what I would love to do is combine my hobby of architecture with the computer sciences and create a "Superintendent" if you will. Basically it would be a building program that would report back stuff like current occupancy, floor weight distribution, and anything else that could be reported. Combine that with traffic systems and you can navigate your way through the city with real time road reports and suggested routes. Something that I'll probably always dream about, but none-the-less, I'd love to see it happen.

Nice! SQL is super good to know, I've just heard SQL Server or whatever blows. Maybe not? OOP is the way to go, I won't code any other way now. That's why I use django with python. We did some perl at my last job, not bad, but everyone seems to be migrating away from it, just like you are. All those languages are supposed to be good for getting a job, especially games or MS stuff. Cool man. :)
SQL is really not that bad. It's pretty easy from what I've done, basic querying and stuff, but I admit I haven't done anything really large scale. And I wouldn't say everyone is moving away from functional languages. Ruby on Rails seems to be getting more and more popular, and I'd really like to learn it. OOP is a lot easier to reason with though, I think.

senador

Banned
Java, C, C++(as in I know them, but probably am not the best at). I know a bit of Python, as well as having web experience with HTML, CSS, and a bit of Flash(which is utter trash). I have a certain knack for database work, but it's mostly crappy Java based ones that are hella slow. Something that's incredibly interesting(to me at least) is the stats work I'm doing with it. As a few of you guys know, I'm collecting everyone's final Reach competitive stats. I can create a program(and actively am) that takes the data and presents it in a much more user friendly way than Excel does.

Oddly enough what I would love to do is combine my hobby of architecture with the computer sciences and create a "Superintendent" if you will. Basically it would be a building program that would report back stuff like current occupancy, floor weight distribution, and anything else that could be reported. Combine that with traffic systems and you can navigate your way through the city with real time road reports and suggested routes. Something that I'll probably always dream about, but none-the-less, I'd love to see it happen.

Woo Python! Nice, that sounds really cool and interesting. Stick to it! I've found its so easy to get frustrated and give up on ideas and things. :/

Too bad you have to manually enter that in, we could have banded together to get scraping working or something. heh

SQL is really not that bad. It's pretty easy from what I've done, basic querying and stuff, but I admit I haven't done anything really large scale. And I wouldn't say everyone is moving away from functional languages. Ruby on Rails seems to be getting more and more popular, and I'd really like to learn it. OOP is a lot easier to reason with though, I think.

Oh SQL itself is great and a lot of fun. I use it with sqlite, mysql, and postgresql (my fave). I've just heard SQL Server is not fun, but I have no experience in that. I haven't done any Ruby but it looks interesting. I didn't mean people are migrating away from everything like that, just perl specifically. I've only heard of people moving away from perl, not anything new regarding it, and no one really choosing it to work with or starting new with it. I haven't looked into it much though, so that could be completely wrong. I've heard its a solid language, but the last company I worked for had such shitty ass perl code that I totally despise it now, heh.

You guys are impressive, the only thing I can do is Unix shell scripts...

Sweet man. I love unix based OSes. I've done some minor shell scripts. I spend a lot of time in the command line though, I use zsh with iTerm on Mac.

Tawpgun

Went into my first year of computer science last year.

Fuck that shit.

Switching majors for next semester. Envi Sci here I come.

Oh SQL itself is great and a lot of fun. I use it with sqlite, mysql, and postgresql (my fave). I've just heard SQL Server is not fun, but I have no experience in that. I haven't done any Ruby but it looks interesting. I didn't mean people are migrating away from everything like that, just perl specifically. I've only heard of people moving away from perl, not anything new regarding it, and no one really choosing it to work with or starting new with it. I haven't looked into it much though, so that could be completely wrong. I've heard its a solid language, but the last company I worked for had such shitty ass perl code that I totally despise it now, heh.
SQL Server is the only kind of SQL I've done, so I don't know how it differs from other versions. And yeah, I think Perl is getting a little outdated (And I think Ruby is kind of an evolution of it so people are moving there). Perl is nifty, but it can be really difficult to understand sometimes. There's a pretty steep learning curve.

Oh and I forgot to mention I'm learning Aspect Oriented Programming, and Reflection in Java, both of which are some pretty mindbending stuff. In one of my projects right now I have a class that holds references to methods of other classes that it can call without knowing anything about the class that holds that method. It's fun.

SQL Server is the only kind of SQL I've done, so I don't know how it differs from other versions. And yeah, I think Perl is getting a little outdated (And I think Ruby is kind of an evolution of it so people are moving there). Perl is nifty, but it can be really difficult to understand sometimes. There's a pretty steep learning curve.

Oh and I forgot to mention I'm learning Aspect Oriented Programming, and Reflection in Java, both of which are some pretty mindbending stuff. In one of my projects right now I have a class that holds references to methods of other classes that it can call without knowing anything about the class that holds that method. It's fun.

Reflection is super expensive of processing time!

Tashi

Was doing the same thing but you super beat me.

I'm glad you picked it up after debating it a week or 2 back. Good work, keep it up!

Welp, I have a new set of favorite HaloGAF-fers. haha

Thanks. I'm glad I went with it too. And yea, Visual Studio is amazing. I haven't even had to bust out my C# book once. I do know some Java though and they're almost identical lol. Running directly to my 360 on the same desk is really really awesome. I'm loving it.

Karl2177

Woo Python! Nice, that sounds really cool and interesting. Stick to it! I've found its so easy to get frustrated and give up on ideas and things. :/

Too bad you have to manually enter that in, we could have banded together to get scraping working or something. heh

Sweet man. I love unix based OSes. I've done some minor shell scripts. I spend a lot of time in the command line though, I use zsh with iTerm on Mac.

Maybe for my other idea we could team up and work on something. It would probably be Java since that's what my class was on and I think the class hierarchy would work nicely with it.

senador

Banned
Alright, last programming related quotes so I don't keep mucking up the thread...

I don't actually know anything about SQL Server, but my coworker bitches about it because a book store he did a site for uses it. He had to make a cron job that ran a script he had to create that exported all changed data over to a mysql database every night to be used for the site. Didn't seem to like it at all, ha! I imagine if you know SQL Server though you could easily pick up SQL for the other databases, they are all pretty similar.

I don't know anything about that other stuff, glad you are having fun with it and learning though, sounds interesting. :)

Thanks. I'm glad I went with it too. And yea, Visual Studio is amazing. I haven't even had to bust out my C# book once. I do know some Java though and they're almost identical lol. Running directly to my 360 on the same desk is really really awesome. I'm loving it.

Sounds fun. :) I really do need to try it out sometime.

Lol, programming on paper.

I loved this solution:

QlGpd.gif

LOL, that is so awesome.

Oh, I've asked you before but didn't see a reply. Are you going into games or are you in them now?

Maybe for my other idea we could team up and work on something. It would probably be Java since that's what my class was on and I think the class hierarchy would work nicely with it.

Cool. I don't know java but I could try to help in some form. Maybe you zero, hydra, and Tashi could all team up.

I kind of want to make a Halo 4 stats site. Hopefully 343 will have an API like Reach did. That'd be ideal, but I'd try scraping too. We'll see how busy I am later this year.

Now we just need a live concert where everybody boos him

"The Frank has come back to his writing glory
Hope you Halo fans like Call of Duty"

Tawpgun

Ha! Its not for everyone, and its super overwhelming if you aren't already into it or really passionate about it already.
I'll say.

The field interested me, and the dream was to do video games. But goddamn did every class and assignment bore me to tears, not to mention nothing was clicking at all.

Cool. I don't know java but I could try to help in some form. Maybe you zero, hydra, and Tashi could all team up.

I kind of want to make a Halo 4 stats site. Hopefully 343 will have an API like Reach did. That'd be ideal, but I'd try scraping too. We'll see how busy I am later this year.
I'd be down, but I can't help on anything until after I graduate. Unless you want the University of California to own whatever we make.

senador

Banned
I'll say.

The field interested me, and the dream was to do video games. But goddamn did every class and assignment bore me to tears, not to mention nothing was clicking at all.

I had the same experience when I started. Everyone already knew stuff to a degree, but I was a complete noob, and everything was so overwhelming and confusing. It wasn't til years later that I self taught myself and figured it out that it made sense. I could kick those classes asses now. For completely new people though its bad news and it just seems like they are doing magic.

I'd be down, but I can't help on anything until after I graduate. Unless you want the University of California to own whatever we make.

Really? So you can't do any side projects or anything til then? Or is it because you are using their hardware/software?

uhhhh, hmmmmm.... Yes?

I thought it seemed obvious, but which is it? Are you someone I should know? haha

-----

Hype for Frankie update! Dropping tomorrow?

Tashi

I had the same experience when I started. Everyone already knew stuff to a degree, but I was a complete noob, and everything was so overwhelming and confusing. It wasn't til years later that I self taught myself and figured it out that it made sense. I could kick those classes asses now. For completely new people though its bad news and it just seems like they are doing magic.

Really? So you can't do any side projects or anything til then? Or is it because you are using their hardware/software?

Hype for Frankie update! Dropping tomorrow?

Same for me. I was completely lost in my CS class. Bombed it harder than any class in my life. Nothing clicked. I got like a 10 or 15 on my tests. It was extremely disheartening. I had a friend who had been programming since High School and helped me out a ton. I slowly got better and more confident but haven't been to school in a few years. Gotta work to pay off debt so I can go back. I really can't wait to go back to school.

Top Bottom