• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HBO is airing a marathon of The Wire remastered in HD (one season per day, Dec 26-30)

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

In case anyone is interested, he posted an updated version this morning with a couple of clips to show the differences between the old SD version and the new HD version.

EDIT: Note that the clips contain spoilers from S2.

I really appreciate that he took the time to really detail what happened, how it happened, and how they approached the situation after the initial teaser on HBO. It clears up a lot of the confusion, and the dedication to realizing as much of the original vision as possible in the new aspect ratio is very respectable. I still wish they would release the original version on blu-ray as well though.

Great article. The creator is definitely very passionate.

It's a shame my first time watching this series will not be as intended by the director. Hopefully someday they release a HD 4:3 version.

nullref

I'm thrilled that they went back to the negatives for a new HD transfer. I'm less thrilled that they felt the need to go 16:9 (presumably just to appease modern viewers). It sounds like they did it as well as possible, at least.

Dommo

Can someone post non-spoiler screens of the two versions?

David Simon is talking about how sometimes, opening up the frame to 16:9 is beneficial. Sometimes, it's to the detriment of the composition and so he instead opts to zoom in. The first example here is a case of the former: it's quite clearly opened up to get more scope (with a touch of crop at the tops and bottoms?)

0ZHliU5.png

The second example was more problematic and is an example of the latter. The top image is from the DVD version. The middle shot is what it would have looked like had they decided to simply open up the frame for 16:9. They decided that the composition isn't as strong, so in this instance, the decision to zoom in was decided. The bottom image represents this - that is what it'll look like in the final version.

So although it's shitty that the AR has been altered, it's nice to know it's in no way a hack job, and Simon seems to be meticulously choosing what to do with the frame on a shot-by-shot basis.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
The Burger / Chicken composition actually works both ways. They were already working with a good centered composition so opening up the ends doesn't hurt as much. I actually like the non zoomed widescreen version too.

Even more excited to see this now. As a person who has watched the whole series multiple times.

Dommo

The Burger / Chicken composition actually works both ways. They were already working with a good centered composition so opening up the ends doesn't hurt as much. I actually like the non zoomed widescreen version too.

Even more excited to see this now. As a person who has watched the whole series multiple times.

I agree. Simon, though, explains that the reason why he opted for a punch in is because he thought the text "OPEN" diminished the effects of the other text:

David Simon said:
D’Angelo reluctantly offers to Wee Bey, who stands below a neon sign that declares, “burgers” while D’Angelo, less certain in his standing and performance within the gang, stands beneath a neon label of “chicken.”... In such a case, the new aspect ratio’s ability to acquire more of the world actually detracts from the intention of the scene and the composition of the shot.

The punch-in keeps the symbolism (a case that I don't really care for) as clear and as in tact as possible.

Just watch the dvds. It's not a series that need to be seen in HD.

I will say this. It absolutely doesn't need to be seen in HD. But the cinematography is underrated - great, and it would benefit from an HD transfer. It's even more crucial because the DVDs are actually piss poor in quality. Interlacing problems through the ass, and if you're watching on a computer monitor there's often this hideous fuzz at the top of the screen that would normally be cropped out by a TV. It's a huge annoyance that it's been moved into 16:9, but The Wire has some awesome cinematography, shot on beautiful 35mm. I think it deserves to be seen in HD.

David Simon is talking about how sometimes, opening up the frame to 16:9 is beneficial. Sometimes, it's to the detriment of the composition and so he instead opts to zoom in. The first example here is a case of the former: it's quite clearly opened up to get more scope (with a touch of crop at the tops and bottoms?)

The second example was more problematic and is an example of the latter. The top image is from the DVD version. The middle shot is what it would have looked like had they decided to simply open up the frame for 16:9. They decided that the composition isn't as strong, so in this instance, the decision to zoom in was decided. The bottom image represents this - that is what it'll look like in the final version.

So although it's shitty that the AR has been altered, it's nice to know it's in no way a hack job, and Simon seems to be meticulously choosing what to do with the frame on a shot-by-shot basis.
There isn't a huge loss of information at the top and bottom of the screen, which is good to see. I was hoping it would be possible to crop the new version to put it more in line with the old but any scenes were they zoom in or do any other significant changes won't make that too viable.

I keep staring at the edge of the screen looking for the flubs David Simon talked about. Visible crew, actors missing cues, etc.
Looks good though!

Mononoke

Banned
Ah wait. So they are airing this all day? Not like an episode a week? That is a bummer.

I wanted to DVR it, but no way I can DVR all of them. Will this be on HBO Go? Will they release it on blu ray?

I'm assuming yes to all of those. I was just looking forward to watching this live on TV (like when it first aired). Give me something to watch again, since most shows suck.

EDIT: Okay, I see it will be on HBO Go. Nice. I have that on my Apple TV. So I'll just wait for that to go up, and just take my time re-watching it all. God this amazing. My favorite show of all time. So giddy.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Feels like its been framed for widescreen so far, it should be interesting to see how this breaks down later when they knew they would always shoot 4:3.

Love how open it feels now. Can't stand the cramped framing sometime with the original ratio.

Feels like its been framed for widescreen so far, it should be interesting to see how this breaks down later when they knew they would always shoot 4:3.

Love how open it feels now. Can't stand the cramped framing sometime with the original ratio.

Agreed and agreed.
I think it looks really good.

Yeah. Honestly, I've never agreed with what he's said. This is why writers/creators have no business talking about technical aspects like cinematography.

His complaint that the neon on the left of Bey detracts from the intent is crazy man talk. Like suddenly we couldnt read the words above their heads.

Mononoke

Banned
His complaint that the neon on the left of Bey detracts from the intent is crazy man talk. Like suddenly we couldnt read the words above their heads.

I actually edited my post. But, I have no issue with creators sharing their opinions. Obviously in their mind, they have a vision for what the show should look like. I get that.

What I meant to say was, they have no business making decisions on a technical level. There are professionals that know this stuff better than you. And that is why you have visionaries that know how to use a camera and frame things.

So I always shake my head when I hear about the things he's said, and pushed for. I remember when Simon originally talked about the format (before this HD stuff came out). Some shows just look awful. Like, I go back and watch the X-Files on DVD and Netflix, and the earlier seasons look dreadful. Nothing about that ratio/fidelity makes the show look better for "style" or whatever. It just looks bad.

EDIT: That's a bit unfair though. I mean, creators do have that vision. So who am I to say they shouldn't have a say in it. But it does kind of bug me, when you hear writers commenting on the technical aspects of cinematography. I have no issue with them presenting it the way they want. But I hate making decisions that make it so you can't ever do more with it at a later time.

Mononoke

Banned
Damn, why are they marathoning it? I'd prefer one episode a night.

Can't keep up this way.

Me too. A lot of people missed out on the Wire when it was aired live. And the show has gotten a huge push in popularity. I was hoping they would do an episode every Sunday or Saturday. And air it like it was on TV again (new). Would be a good filler too for their programming.

That said, this is awesome too. A lot of people prefer having everything at once. I get that. And since this has already aired before, I can understand a lot of people NOT wanting the format we wanted. Plus, since it is on HBO GO and (I assume Blu Ray eventually). You could watch an episode a week if you wanted to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom