• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Here's what Jonathan Blow put himself through to give you The Witness

injurai

Banned
You think?

So here's my thought about the post-mortem interview: What proportion of the questions are going to be about the Witness's lighting and gameplay mechanics, vs the proportion which will be, simply, "which parts of the game did you have the catheter for?"

Do you think his employees and / or colleagues are going to have fun fielding that?

Neither of us are criticizing his work or his dedication, mind you. But I think there are better ways to get your sacrifice across. And yes, any kind of tweets in an official capacity can and will have a lasting effect on your brand, sometimes in unexpected and undesirable ways. Enough people here have already laid out their criticism for this stunt to illustrate that point.

People playing off a joke Blow started himself in interviews? Hardly seems like a problem.

The people trying to make this tweet a faux-pas that will be held against his brand? I'd say the problem lies with those people. Who turn the problem into a reality by holding Blow accountable to an inhuman standard.

56987532.jpg

You are holding the internet at large to a far higher standard than I think most of us would then. People are raked over the coals for far, far less.

The piss drinking posts above are, I think, a fairly clear illustration of that.

I honestly don't see the problem nor do I understand getting annoyed over it.

injurai

Banned
You are holding the internet at large to a far higher standard than I think most of us would then. People are raked over the coals for far, far less.

The piss drinking posts above are, I think, a fairly clear illustration of that.

Not really. I'm cutting more slack for both Blow and running with the joke. Just if we are going to talk about holding someone accountable, I don't think it should be Blow having to live defensively and not be able to crack a joke or two in his professional career.

Not really. I'm cutting more slack for both Blow and running with the joke. Just if we are going to talk about holding someone accountable, I don't think it should be Blow having to live defensively and not be able to crack a joke or two in his professional career.

Totally agree people are blowing this way out of proportion, it's surreal.

I drink 95% water, the rest juice. No soda.

Everything really is bad for you. FFS.
I think you have to drink quite a bit of water before it starts being bad for you. Like, you have to get in water drinking contests where you chug bottles within a short amount of time.

Drinking water regularly isn't bad for you to my knowledge.

Awesome PR effort by Blow. Considering how fucking hard it is for indies to get the media to talk about them this has raised a hell of a lot of awareness for The Witness.

Especially considering most of the discussion about the game a few days ago was LOL FUK PAYIN FORTY BUCKS.

EDIT: oh wow, nice timing Dead Man Typing heh

injurai

Banned
You're taking this a little too personally, then. He can crack whatever jokes he pleases. Not the direction I would've taken, if I had an ounce of his programming talent.

And I think people's reactions are about what I'd expect - some don't care, some think it's funny, some think it's gross, all in equal measure. having one response to the image is no more or less valid than having another, so don't act surprise that people may view it differently from you.

Well I certainly never acted surprised that people may differ from my view. I'm merely one of those valid views in the crowd. You seemed inclined to address me so I figured I'd give you my 2 cents. There was never anything to take personally.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
My dad did this once, but it was on the road.. in a McDonalds cup. I think it always stuck with me and it's also why I don't like to eat at McDonalds.

I will say this, infection control is what he should be concerned about or some sorta rash. I just can't imagine that he'd do this. I heard when Gran Turismo was being developed the developers would sleep under their desk, but this is a whole other level.

Ashtar

When I first saw it I immediately thought of those nutrients in a bag where you can basically get all the needed nutrients in a shake without having to eat food. I actually imagine that's save a lot more time than peeing into a bag.
For those wondering even if it's that's real urine he wouldn't have to "fully" Catherine himself , there's something call a condom catheter which is basically a condom attached to a foley bag.

Yeezus

While Braid was awesome, and I'm sure The Witness will be excellent, this photo is simply absurd. I guess we're supposed to see Blow as some kind of tortured genius, but a plastic jar full of urine just seems a little too loaded for me.

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!
The Revenant of game developers.

Dude suffered for his art, his craft, and us. So dedicated to completing his work, he refused to leave his computer, he pissed into a bottle. Did he find himself dehydrated and have to end up drinking it, too?! I must buy The Witness just to show my support for someone so selfless and willing to sacrifice just for our entertainment!

Renekton

I wonder if people criticizing this as bad PR actually have experience in the field.

"Common sense" is too subjective and no substitute for working experience plus data.

Nosgotham

I think you have to drink quite a bit of water before it starts being bad for you. Like, you have to get in water drinking contests where you chug bottles within a short amount of time.

Drinking water regularly isn't bad for you to my knowledge.

yeah you have to drink a crap ton of water or sweat profusely and drink quite a bit of water to have any serious effect. i drink probably a gallon and a half a day

Top Bottom