• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hideo Kojima left Konami/KojiPro on October 9th, non-compete ends in December

BadWolf

What's your point? Again, I was not dismissing Kojima's role in PT, just in the idea that the reason it was such a huge hit was because it was his name associated. The whole point of PT was that at first we didn't know who or what was involved.

Be serious now, P.T. really started making the rounds once that one lady finished it during her stream and the Kojima and Silent Hill names popped up. To say that he had nothing to do with its hype is simply incorrect.

Without Kojima's name attached P.T. wouldn't have become as huge a hit as it did either.

I think it would have (especially if it still had the Silent Hills/Guillermo Del Toro attachments). Tons of people experienced that who probably have no idea who Kojima is. PT became big because it was well made and because it had the aspect of mystery behind it. Nobody knew what it was, who had made it, how to beat it, ect... The Kojima/Del Toro/Silent Hill attachment certainly helped the extend the buzz into the upcoming game (that we never got)

Be serious now, P.T. really started making the rounds once that one lady finished it during her stream and the Kojima and Silent Hill names popped up. To say that he had nothing to do with its hype is simply incorrect.

I didn't say it had nothing to do with the hype, I said Kojima wasn't the draw with that game. The reason it became the little sensation it did wasn't because people saw Kojima's name (because Kojima's name wasn't even attached at first).

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Your move Konami.
epic Kojima plot twist
I'd love to see what he could do with the mgs and silent hill.

too soon?

Best of luck Kojima, enjoy your freedom from the pachinko mines.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
I didn't say it had nothing to do with the hype, I said Kojima wasn't the draw with that game. The reason it became the little sensation it did wasn't because people saw Kojima's name (because Kojima's name wasn't even attached at first).

I'd say it became a viral hit because:

A: It was free

B: It was a perfect game to let's play or stream. It was short, scary, and bizarre. With a very odd puzzle to solve to beat the game that was kind of random with what set off the last part.

It would have been a viral thing even if it had nothing to do with Kojima, Silent Hills or Konami.

It was created to be a viral game in every single way.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
And the bidding for Kojima's services to produce 66% of a fully-realized game starts at $80 million. Any takers?

Sure, are you going to provide a very hostile, nerve wrecking, soul crushing work environment for what looks like the last year of development or so (maybe more) or do we have to pay hired goons with part of the R&D budget too? Well, sorry... not to criticise Konami. They way they have been handling any other gaming I.P. they have clearly makes Kojima the incompetent baboon here ... sigh.

wmlk

I think it would have (especially if it still had the Silent Hills/Guillermo Del Toro attachments). Tons of people experienced that who probably have no idea who Kojima is. PT became big because it was well made and because it had the aspect of mystery behind it. Nobody knew what it was, who had made it, how to beat it, ect... The Kojima/Del Toro/Silent Hill attachment certainly helped the extend the buzz into the upcoming game (that we never got)

Right, but that game was what it was because Kojima was involved and was the Director.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.

B: It was a perfect game to let's play or stream. It was short, scary, and bizarre. With a very odd puzzle to solve to beat the game that was kind of random with what set off the last part.

It would have been a viral thing even if it had nothing to do with Kojima, Silent Hills or Konami.

What if, what if A B and C were all Kojima's ideas. What if Kojima hadn't conceived P.T. and it didn't exist? Would we still be sitting here arguing about something that wouldn't exist?

And who do you think came up with that concept?

NervousXtian

What if, what if A B and C were all Kojima's ideas. What if Kojima hadn't conceived P.T. and it didn't exist? Would we still be sitting here arguing about something that wouldn't exist?

...and it sold a grand total of zero copies.

That's my point.

..but it might also show that Kojima should go back to making smaller scale games.. he clearly lost himself in MGS5. Everyone now wants to blame Konami.

I'm not saying the guys not a legend and that he doesn't make great games. He clearly is and clearly has.

I just don't think there's a lineup of publishers waiting with piles of money to bring him and let him be in charge.

And the game to begin with. KojiPro created P.T. and Kojima was the game's director, why does it feel like people brush that off? P.T. wasn't created in a vacuum. The fact it was so good and finding out who made it added to the hype of what could be for the full Silent Hills product.

The previous Silent Hill games after 3 given to different devs never had this hype. They were reinventing the IP and people took notice because P.T. is amazing.

Warewolf

If anyone has word on what the rest of the Key MGS staff are doing after the departure do tell.

My searches turn up nothing about Murata, Imaizumi or Shinkawa.

I'm just going to keep screaming Miyazaki collaboration into the void

Right, but that game was what it was because Kojima was involved and was the Director.

Right, but I am not disputing that. Kojima should get credit for what PT was, but that doesn't mean his name was the draw that turned it into a viral hit. You guys are spinning it as if people are trying to discredit Kojima when that is not at all the discussion.

NervousXtian

What's your point?

That the demo and announcement of KojiPro's next project sold zero copies?

Okay.

Someone mentioned look at the reception of Silent Hills/PT as showing the worth of Kojima.

I don't think that correlates over to how successful an actual Silent Hills game would have been.

I'd have like to see how it turned out, more so for Del Toro.. as the Kojima part of Silent Hills to me was a turn-off.. but the Del Toro part piqued my interest.

wmlk

Right, but I am not disputing that. Kojima should get credit for what PT was, but that doesn't mean his name was the draw that turned it into a viral hit. You guys are spinning it as if people are trying to discredit Kojima when that is not at all the discussion.

I dunno, I just saw your post that didn't even highlight why the game was what it was.

I definitely think that Silent Hills could have become something without, especially after the strong direction that Kojima gave it in P.T.

I dunno, I just saw your post that didn't even highlight why the game was what it was.

I definitely think that Silent Hills could have become something without, especially after the strong direction that Kojima gave it in P.T.

My post was highlighting why PT became the hit it was. Hideo Kojima's skill as a creator? yes. Hideo Kojima's name brand? Not likely. Those two things can co-exist. In fact, they likely apply to most games. Your average consumer doesn't know who is behind their favorite games.

Thud

tumblr_moapsngB9s1roxp20o1_1280.jpg

This is great.

Arino interviewed him in the Konami Wai Wai World episode. They both were a lot younger then lol.

BadWolf

If anyone has word on what the rest of the Key MGS staff are doing after the departure do tell.

My searches turn up nothing about Murata, Imaizumi or Shinkawa.

I'm just going to keep screaming Miyazaki collaboration into the void

When the fallout first started making news, the word was that it was Kojima and key members of his team leaving. And soon after the news broken out, Konami put out an ad hiring key members for the next Metal Gear.

So it would be fair to assume that the other key members who left will end up where Kojima does.

Someone mentioned look at the reception of Silent Hills/PT as showing the worth of Kojima.

I don't think that correlates over to how successful an actual Silent Hills game would have been.

I'd have like to see how it turned out, more so for Del Toro.. as the Kojima part of Silent Hills to me was a turn-off.. but the Del Toro part piqued my interest.

Heh, yeah sure.

Papacheeks

Banned
The last DMC wasn't exactly a huge seller, the GoW series has been on a downhill slide sales wise as well. Forum hype and game site coverage doesn't matter if nobody is actually buying the games.

They aren't marketed like crazy because there's not a market out there to buy them en masse.

The last DMC4:SE did very well for capcom. DMC by NInja Theory even though is a pretty good game, because of the divide with fans was expected not to do as well.

The issue is with pricing for these games, and how they are promoted. I'll come back to this post after Scalebound does better than Bayonetta 1 numbers for xbox. And the reason for that game doing so well will be Microsoft promoted the shit out of it.

There is a market for those games, but if no one outside of hardcore websites and forums know about them then they wont get into people hands.

The market doesn;t know what it wants until it's played something. Know one knew they wanted Devil may cry until it came out then they made a bunch of sequels.

Sony promoted the shit out of Devil may cry on PS2 back in the day. DMC4:SE did wonders for capcom in July 2015.

I say the evidence is there that these games can move numbers it's up to publishers and platform holders to promote them and price them accordingly.

Alebrije

I bet he goes indie a la Inafune

Kojima likes big projects that need a lot of $$$$ so the only way to achieve this is to join a Big player like Sony ,MS, Nintendo , EA, SE, etc.

I read somewhere that he was done for MGS saga even before the "Konami incident" but there is a big chance his next franchise is similar to MGS but on another universe,lore,story. Anyway he will need tons of money and he can not take the risk alone.

I hope he goes independent, but I see him winding up with Activision or one of the big Western 3rd parties. Ubi and Bethesda are going to throw all kinds of money at him, but I don't think EA will be willing to give him the kind of freedom he would want and 2k does not want another Levine on their hands.

I don't see him going first party, but would love it if he made a Nintendo game.

blaming kojima for an unfinished mgsv seems...idiotic considering every other product he's made for them has been consistently high quality. ah well, I guess people are just mad about metal gear and need someone to blame. Nevermind konami's well documented fuckery these past few years, lets blame the only good producer they had left!

Top Bottom