• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Woohoo, I found two power cells to use in that bunker!

But I can't figure out how to configure them, ha! No, don't tell me how. There's a computer to the right whose description involves the holo docks where the power cells are, but I don't see how those numbers correlate. I thought maybe it had to do with the degrees you need to rotate, but the numbers are divisible by 360.

This might take a little while. ;)

Also, it was cool going back to the beginning of the game!

I know but feels like the reviewers mind was set in stone before reviewing

Like I'm not a fan of the likes of RDR, TLOU and Uncharted series they bore the tits off me

But if I was reviewing them I know they are at least a 9 and not a 5 because that style doesn't interest me

The USGamer review is bad. It's so poorly written and the way it presents its critiques of the game is so rudimentary that I don't think it warrants much analysis, and certainly not more than the reviewer bothered to put in the review itself.

Matty8787

I won't quote everybody but thanks for the replies.

20 hours in so far and just arrived at Meridian I believe so story wise probably not all that far.

Skux

Same here, got to Meridian at about 25 hours. This city is a marvel and the culture of the Carja and Banuk is fascinating to me.

TsuWave

Sometimes some games don't click with some people, it's ok. No need to dissect and try and come up with alchemy formulas as to why someone doesn't like it. Horizon is a great game that some people won't like. Sell your copy, move on. This isn't specifically about any one poster, it's just weird when you see people go into threads with "am I missing something gaf?" or something along them lines, and other posters kinda have to convince them to like the game.
also, I think I'm slightly defensive about horizon because it's my favorite game this gen, and for some reason I feel like a substantial number of people been intent on shitting on it even before it's release, so I apologize if I come across as hostile

on another note, you guys beat the corrupted rockbreakers with fire arrows? Wow. I went with ice arrows and focused on their arms. Worked out for me.

20 hours in so far and just arrived at Meridian I believe so story wise probably not all that far.

That's exactly when I arrived. Honestly, that's where the game really seems to begin. Not that the stuff before it wasn't good, but Meridian and onward really picks up the pace.

Meridian is probably around 30% of the main story, the greatest misteries lies ahead!

Maybe you should ask which side quest are worthy, you won't find super compelling ones but some are pretty entertaining and worth the time.

Now that I've slept on the game, in terms of writing, I felt Witcher 3 was far more consistent in quality but Horizon was surprisingly good most of the time. The main issue was in the form of expository dialogue being not subtle enough and weaved in a bit more seamlessly.

Where Horizon beats TW3 easily is the main story. The Wild Hunt sucks and I got bored of them and disinterested in the story (especially after being interested in them for so long after TW1/2) but the story in HZD was super captivating.

I have to give it to GG, lots of smart lore and world building throughout. You can see the inspiration it took from something like Game of Thrones and I think it worked out real good.

Can't wait for a sequel. Onwards and upwards.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Power Cell related question:

So, I missed the power cell during the starting story quest in mother's temple, I read online that I can go back at night and the temple door would be open. I've tried that multiple times but it's always closed.
In terms of story I'm about to start
"the secrets of the earth"
mission. Am I doing something wrong ?

Gonna play this tonight for the first time and I can't wait! I was sceptic at first, but the world is really interesting. I can always use more scifi in my life.

Agent

Power Cell related question:

So, I missed the power cell during the starting story quest in mother's temple, I read online that I can go back at night and the temple door would be open. I've tried that multiple times but it's always closed.
In terms of story I'm about to start
"the secrets of the earth"
mission. Am I doing something wrong ?

Just keep playing the main storyline. Eventually the mountain will reopen. You'll know when it happens so you can't miss it.

Blastoise

Banned
Question about sidequests and errands.

Do I have to do errands or is doing side quests enough to get the best ending. I hate errands.

wapplew

Now that I've slept on the game, in terms of writing, I felt Witcher 3 was far more consistent in quality but Horizon was surprisingly good most of the time. The main issue was in the form of expository dialogue being not subtle enough and weaved in a bit more seamlessly.

Totally agree, that's only problem I have with Horizon story, they rely on exposition too much.
But hey, narrative and writing was the biggest doubt we had pre-release, it end up being one of the strongest element of the game. The game are in good hands.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Totally agree, that's only problem I have with Horizon story, they rely on exposition too much.
But hey, narrative and writing was the biggest doubt we had pre-release, it end up being one of the strongest element of the game. The game are in good hands.
Yeah the exposition dumps can be a bit heavy, but I don't mind as I'm so fascinated by the world that I sort of want Aloy to keep prodding. I feel like if I was in her shoes I'd also be like, "WTF is this? Or that? Who TF are they?"

It works better when it's done via walk 'n' talk Uncharted style conversations that can reference the environment around them rather than two talking heads going back and forth. Hopefully they do more of that in future games.

Generally though, after Maker's End reveals, I'm still riding high on this story. I'll be very impressed if it keeps up its current quality to the end.

And while most people seem to be fairly lukewarm on the tribal politics, I'm also fascinated by that. It feels like the perfect blend of what I enjoy in fantasy plus what I enjoy in sci-fi. That seems to be the what makes Horizon exceptional, how well it blends old conventions into something unique, from gameplay to environment to story.

Mesharey

For 10 machines trophy killing them on their weak spot, can I remove the protection on oil container from the horses then shoot fire arrows so they explode? Did it few times but still nothing.

Where Horizon beats TW3 easily is the main story. The Wild Hunt sucks and I got bored of them and disinterested in the story (especially after being interested in them for so long after TW1/2) but the story in HZD was super captivating.

I have to give it to GG, lots of smart lore and world building throughout. You can see the inspiration it took from something like Game of Thrones and I think it worked out real good.

Can't wait for a sequel. Onwards and upwards.

I agree completely, writting is often more compelling in The Witcher III but a lot of the stories there is somehow boring, the game has so much content that it's almost logical.
The story in Horizon is way more intriguing and impactfull and there are some bits of cool writing too.
I'd say the world is pretty much even in terms of lore (the tribes, the interaction between them and how they see the story of the old ones) quality wise but again, I found Horizon's more interesting and original.

Regarding Game of Thrones I'm on the same side too, I even tried to tie tribes to GoT houses.

Nora = Stark
Oseram = Baratheon
Shadow Carja = Lannisters
Banuk = Mix of Greyjoy and Targeryan

Not sure where to put Carja and... Therak? Terahk? by the way, we don't know much of that tribe other than capturing an npc and some documents.

Tosyn_88

So I have been playing this game for about a week I think and at first it started slow, but I suppose that is to be expected with any game generally. Now I am level 32 and about to engage main quest 28 I think, I have to say wow. Talk about bringing all those Monster Hunter console fantasies to the big stage. It also surprisingly has a good main story actually, the sort of mystery kind where you will keep asking questions which is a nice narrative path to follow for a world like this. Also, the game looks amazing for its scale, I actually zoomed into the models during the game and they look just as good as the cutscenes, rather impressive work from GG.

I think for a sequel, they have to include multiplayer to complete the Monster Hunter takeover. This is literally a cash cow waiting to be milked

wapplew

Yeah the exposition dumps can be a bit heavy, but I don't mind as I'm so fascinated by the world that I sort of want Aloy to keep prodding. I feel like if I was in her shoes I'd also be like, "WTF is this? Or that? Who TF are they?"

It works better when it's done via walk 'n' talk Uncharted style conversations that can reference the environment around them rather than two talking heads going back and forth. Hopefully they do more of that in future games.

Generally though, after Maker's End reveals, I'm still riding high on this story. I'll be very impressed if it keeps up its current quality to the end.

And while most people seem to be fairly lukewarm on the tribal politics, I'm also fascinated by that. It feels like the perfect blend of what I enjoy in fantasy plus what I enjoy in sci-fi. That seems to be the what makes Horizon exceptional, how well it blends old conventions into something unique, from gameplay to environment to story.

Main plot is too strong I have to ignore a lot of tribal stuff and rush to the end, but I enjoy tribal story a lot more after I finished main plot and have different perspectives on them.
I don't mind lore dump too, can't have enough of them.

Tosyn_88

They would need to add more compelling loot. There has to be a reason for you to keep playing.

Oooh of course, you cannot make a multiplayer hunting party game like that without the structure. But from what I have seen so far, the blueprint is there, I mean they can make a whole multiplayer game from it even, this is Monster Hunter Robo Hunt

Yea, I don't mind exposition and it definitely was warranted here. Just need to polish up the execution and it worked better when there was another person to talk to.

And I loved the tribal politis as well. I was fairly impressed by how comprehensivelu thought out it was for something that wasn't really a focus of the main story.

Kill3r7

Oooh of course, you cannot make a multiplayer hunting party game like that without the structure. But from what I have seen so far, the blueprint is there, I mean they can make a whole multiplayer game from it even, this is Monster Hunter Robo Hunt

Ditto. They could easily add new quests/hunts kind of how Hitman does with the elusive targets.

TheFlow

Banned
Oh man you find out so much towards the end of the game. I couldn't stop and beat the game last night.

52 percent finished. time to go back and finish up everything for the plat.

quick thoughts

I want more epic enemy variants. Like the witcher 3. more melee diversity/skills.

and I want at least 7-10 new enemy designs for the next game based off creatures. maybe even mystical.

jdstorm

Banned
I can see that although with a less dark storyline. :p

I'm just seeing the resemblance on the tribes and how they work rather than characters tho.

Rost is definetely
Eddard but less stupid.

I dont think the analogy holds up very well. If anything Aloy would be one of Jon Snow, Ygrette or Dany. But the analogue doesn't really hold up very well.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I just be missing something because the various 'logs' - audio, written etc - seem fairly rare and are mostly saying not very much. But others are saying how good they are. Maybe I'm missing lots, but I'm not stopping every few feet and using my focus, except in settlements etc.

There was the batch in the area where you fall down, and then the vantage point ones which seem more about reminiscing than explaining anything.

I am just at meridian though in case things expand after that

Banned
I'm 40 hours in and I think 60% through the main story. I really like this game and have been doing all of the side content but if I had to score it, it would be a 9 or 9.5. My only personal complaints are a lack of weather control and not enough music implementation. The only thing missing from exploring the beautiful jungles is memorable and comfy safari-type music to go with it.

The gameplay in this game is hands down the best I've played in any AAA open world game. Every time I do battle the action paced flow of the combat just gets my heart racing. It's just so enjoyable to fight robots in beautiful crafted environments. The battle music is great but the exploration music or lack there of I think is the only thing that holds this game back in my opinion.

LiK

I just be missing something because the various 'logs' - audio, written etc - seem fairly rare and are mostly saying not very much. But others are saying how good they are. Maybe I'm missing lots, but I'm not stopping every few feet and using my focus, except in settlements etc.

There was the batch in the area where you fall down, and then the vantage point ones which seem more about reminiscing than explaining anything.

you'll find more later.

I dont think the analogy holds up very well. If anything Aloy would be one of Jon Snow, Ygrette or Dany. But the analogue doesn't really hold up very well.

Yeah, again, I wasn't thinking about characters but more on tribes, the tribes and their interaction seems to take some inspiration from GoT... well, not tha Game of Thrones houses and the most original thing in the world but they are the more recent and popular one.
I mean,
I can se Jiran being inspired by the mad king and Avad being some sort of a good Jamie Lannister, but not specficially the characters, they deviate from that but the story and context is similar.

They appear mostly and in abundance in main quests.

Edit: Oh yeah, you haven't seen anything yet. ;)

Couple of noob questions:

1) Can you tie a Dino down and then override it? Or do you need to be undetected in sneak mode? I just thought about trying that option but not sure it would work.

2) Will I just naturally come across opportunities to learn how to override different Dinos? I've only done the Strider so far, and sometimes I'll come across other ones and Aloy will say something like "maybe someday I'll be able to override this one." Am I supposed to be looking for items to buy/loot that will let me override more species or will that happen during the main quests?

GReeeeN

So my first merchant errand has glitched...(Nora protector light) which now means I can't sell any special items such as metal flowers, whch now means I'm pretty much broke the entire game...

Does anyone know how to fix this?, the merchant in mothers heart is just gone and the marker is just hovering....

Starting to go feel super fucked

GlamFM

Banned
Woohoo, I found two power cells to use in that bunker!

But I can't figure out how to configure them, ha! No, don't tell me how. There's a computer to the right whose description involves the holo docks where the power cells are, but I don't see how those numbers correlate. I thought maybe it had to do with the degrees you need to rotate, but the numbers are divisible by 360.

This might take a little while. ;)

Also, it was cool going back to the beginning of the game!

Want a hot tip?

Game beaten(and platted!)

definitely my front runner for GOTY!

but that ending......
come the fuck on Sylens!!! I knew this ass hat was up no good! he must be Tom fucking Faro's genetic clone!!!

Banned
So my first merchant errand has glitched...(Nora protector light) which now means I can't sell any special items such as metal flowers, whch now means I'm pretty much broke the entire game...

Does anyone know how to fix this?, the merchant in mothers heart is just gone and the marker is just hovering....

Starting to go feel super fucked

You might have already tried but you should try load a previous save and see if the merchant is glitched. I sure hoped you quicksaved or saved a lot beforehand though.

For 10 machines trophy killing them on their weak spot, can I remove the protection on oil container from the horses then shoot fire arrows so they explode? Did it few times but still nothing.

You don't have to kill them by exploding the weak spots, that's not what the trophy says.

You have to kill enemies weak to the element (fire or freeze) with the respective elemental damage. So if an enemy is weak to fire, it needs to die with the +burning notification or you don't get credit for the trophy.

1. You have to target enemies that are actually weak to fire or freeze.

2. You need to inflict the status effect on them.

3. Get the killing blow while they are on the status effect.

4. When your xp pops up, it must show the notification for a status kill, i.e Burning.

Couple of noob questions:

1) Can you tie a Dino down and then override it? Or do you need to be undetected in sneak mode? I just thought about trying that option but not sure it would work.

2) Will I just naturally come across opportunities to learn how to override different Dinos? I've only done the Strider so far, and sometimes I'll come across other ones and Aloy will say something like "maybe someday I'll be able to override this one." Am I supposed to be looking for items to buy/loot that will let me override more species or will that happen during the main quests?

1) Yes, you can.

2) You will, there are more Cauldrons to find and explore that will upgrade the override tool to work on more dinos. They are not part of any quests so you will have to find them on your own, but they should get revealed on the map when you're moving around doing quests.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
I think for a sequel, they have to include multiplayer to complete the Monster Hunter takeover. This is literally a cash cow waiting to be milked

Please no. Multiplayer is far too often shoehorned into places it doesn't need to be. I hope any sequel stays a dedicated single player experience.

I just be missing something because the various 'logs' - audio, written etc - seem fairly rare and are mostly saying not very much. But others are saying how good they are...

The audio logs from vantage points, for example, only give you the first line of the actual entry. You need to go into your information section to read the whole thing. Just in case you didn't know.

void666

Banned
I had a thrilling fight against two ravagers. I wasn't trying to to directly damage them. Instead i was using corrupting arrows to have them fight each other. While rolling around outmaneuvering them.

wapplew

Please no. Multiplayer is far too often shoehorned into places it doesn't need to be. I hope any sequel stays a dedicated single player experience.

GG is great multiplayer studio, I think they'll manage to do both just fine.
Could be a separate mode like mass effect or something within the context like hunters challenge but multiplayer with own progression.

LiK

This might be one of Ashly Burch's best performances. Kinda like her Nolan North breakout. It's not as super emotional as in Life is Strange in range but I love all her lil quips and sarcasm. They're pretty subtle at times.

What's the fastest way to get shards in this game ?

Killing and looting machines. I have way too many Shards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom