• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zakalwe

Banned
This might be one of Ashly Burch's best performances. Kinda like her Nolan North breakout. It's not as super emotional as in Life is Strange in range but I love all her lil quips and sarcasm. They're pretty subtle at times.

I think she's great, she's got a huge future ahead of her.

She does sigh a bit too much, though.

LiK

I think she's great, she's got a huge future ahead of her.

She does sigh a bit too much, though.

I noticed that too. Pretty interesting they didn't edit some of those out. It works sometimes especially when she's talking to some of the weirdo NPCs. I guess they wanted to keep her lines intact.

Tosyn_88

Please no. Multiplayer is far too often shoehorned into places it doesn't need to be. I hope any sequel stays a dedicated single player experience.

The audio logs from vantage points, for example, only give you the first line of the actual entry. You need to go into your information section to read the whole thing. Just in case you didn't know.

The good old trepidation of multiplayer strikes again. It is ok bro, multiplayer doesn't mean bad singleplayer experience and I say this as someone who heavily leans towards singleplayer games actually. I think the blueprint for a Monster Hunter multiplayer experience is written within this world

This might be one of Ashly Burch's best performances. Kinda like her Nolan North breakout. It's not as super emotional as in Life is Strange in range but I love all her lil quips and sarcasm. They're pretty subtle at times.

She's come a long way from making my ears bleed as Tiny Tina.

hydruxo

What do you think is the best looking outfit? Right now I'm rocking the shaman outfit or something, forget the name, but it's a two piece and the multi colored frills on the bottom look sweet moving around when you run. Protects against corruption I believe.

Whats your favorite?

Carja Blazon and Shadow Stalwart. Also really like the
Shield Weaver armor and how it lights up.

Birds were supper annoying, they better fix that. It would make sense to take 5 minutes to put a dragon down, not a stupid bird. Also, I found them to be the most rigid in terms of stuff you can do or play with, for the most part you really have to play by the book.

I hope they introduce some crazy stuff in the sequel, dragons, chimeras, giant snakes, etc. The fact that there was no bears in this game made me super mad, lol. Bears ftw.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Birds were supper annoying, they better fix that. It would make sense to take 5 minutes to put a dragon down, not a stupid bird. Also, I found them to be the most rigid in terms of stuff you can do or play with, for the most part you really have to play by the book.

I hope they introduce some crazy stuff in the sequel, dragons, chimeras, giant snakes, etc. The fact that there was no bears in this game made me super mad, lol. Bears ftw.

Stormbirds or the goddamn glinterhawks? Stormbirds are more stressing than annoying IMO, but those goddamn hawks kept chasing me for what felt like a small eternity. And they're really annoying to boot when ganging up on me :p

Also, robo-cavebears! Woo!

X-Frame

Does anyone else have 2-3 duplicate weapons and each focusing on 1 of the ammo types?

Like 2 separate Sharpshot bows and one focuses on Tear, another on Damage.

Or 3 War Bows with one on Corruption, one Ice, one Shock, etc.

With me swimming in shards bow I can afford it haha

So my girlfriend has been playing and manual saving every time. I've been quick saving and I noticed after a day my quick save files were no longer found under the load option. Did I fuck up gaf?

Stormbirds or the goddamn glinterhawks? Stormbirds are more stressing than annoying IMO, but those goddamn hawks kept chasing me for what felt like a small eternity. And they're really annoying to boot when ganging up on me :p

Also, robo-cavebears! Woo!

Glinthawks are easy. 1 Fire arrow drops them like a sack of shit, run over to them and critical hit, 1 heavy attack. The burn usually kills them after this,

Stormbirds though....

So my girlfriend has been playing and manual saving every time. I've been quick saving and I noticed after a day my quick save files were no longer found under the load option. Did I fuck up gaf?

You dun fucked up!

Ferr986

The Watchers are close to raptors, they just aren't much of a threat unfortunately.

Hmm I guess, I was thinking they are more about like Compsognathus, but I guess there's not much difference. Just wish it was more... Raptor lol, with mouth, claws...etc

I thought birds were annoying, then yesterday meet a pair of
Rockbreakers
. Fuck those guys.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Glinthawks are easy. 1 Fire arrow drops them like a sack of shit, run over to them and critical hit, 1 heavy attack. The burn usually kills them after this,

Stormbirds though....

That stormbird you fight when
looking for the workshop up in the mountains
was a PITA. But generally I found the hard-tipped arrows to seemingly work better for glinthawks than fire arrows? Especially during the
Death from the Skies
quest.

bunkitz

That's exactly when I arrived. Honestly, that's where the game really seems to begin. Not that the stuff before it wasn't good, but Meridian and onward really picks up the pace.

Meridian is probably around 30% of the main story, the greatest misteries lies ahead!

Maybe you should ask which side quest are worthy, you won't find super compelling ones but some are pretty entertaining and worth the time.

Shit. I'm more than 20 hours in and still haven't reached Meridian. Been feeling like I'm not experiencing the story so much because of that, but this sounds exciting. Totally looking forward to progressing the story more now.

Dave_6

So I had one power cell but can't remember where I got it. Found the
bunker with the secret armor
last night but have no idea where the other cell is I need. Any ideas or does it just kinda happen?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The audio logs from vantage points, for example, only give you the first line of the actual entry. You need to go into your information section to read the whole thing. Just in case you didn't know.

Sometimes this game just hides things a little too well. I appreciate lack of handholding but...

Mesharey

You don't have to kill them by exploding the weak spots, that's not what the trophy says.

You have to kill enemies weak to the element (fire or freeze) with the respective elemental damage. So if an enemy is weak to fire, it needs to die with the +burning notification or you don't get credit for the trophy.

1. You have to target enemies that are actually weak to fire or freeze.

2. You need to inflict the status effect on them.

3. Get the killing blow while they are on the status effect.

4. When your xp pops up, it must show the notification for a status kill, i.e Burning.
I must be doing something wrong, it's not poping. :/
The exp pop says the correct thing but nothing. :/
I get 2 notifications, killed while burning and the regular one.

Thanks for your help. :3

Edit: finally got it.

Want a hot tip?

Not yet, but if I'm stuck later, I may ask for that tip. ;)

Couple of noob questions:

1) Can you tie a Dino down and then override it? Or do you need to be undetected in sneak mode? I just thought about trying that option but not sure it would work.

2) Will I just naturally come across opportunities to learn how to override different Dinos? I've only done the Strider so far, and sometimes I'll come across other ones and Aloy will say something like "maybe someday I'll be able to override this one." Am I supposed to be looking for items to buy/loot that will let me override more species or will that happen during the main quests?

1) Yup! That's what I do a lot in the middle of battle. However, other dinos can still attack you, so make sure you don't have multiple tramplers running around while trying to override.

2) You have to do the cauldrons to learn how to override more dinos.

Killed my first Thunderjaw last night. Really intimidating beast, but pretty easy to take down if you just use its disk launchers against it. Tried to take out a Stormbird afterwards and w.........t.........f. Everything I shot at it seemed to do very little damage, the fight was taking forever, and annoying ass stalkers kept getting involved in the fight; after a few tries I just gave up.

X-Frame

Killed my first Thunderjaw last night. Really intimidating beast, but pretty easy to take down if you just use its disk launchers against it. Tried to take out a Stormbird afterwards and w.........t.........f. Everything I shot at it seemed to do very little damage, the fight was taking forever, and annoying ass stalkers kept getting involved in the fight; after a few tries I just gave up.

Get in the habit of luring him close to the ground, mostly any damage will do it, then when he is on the ground or very close just use the Ropecaster to pin him. Then if you have Freeze arrows or Freeze bombs, hit him until he is frozen (he will still be pinned), and then go to town on his armor.

Take out his chest lightning cannon, take out any of his engines if you want, but you can do high damage to him if you have Freeze arrows on a War Bow and hit his rear Freeze canisters with a Freeze arrow. They'll explode and Freeze him again, then you can keep damaging him. And if he breaks free of the ropes just pin him down again.

Get in the habit of luring him close to the ground, mostly any damage will do it, then when he is on the ground or very close just use the Ropecaster to pin him. Then if you have Freeze arrows or Freeze bombs, hit him until he is frozen (he will still be pinned), and then go to town on his armor.

Take out his chest lightning cannon, take out any of his engines if you want, but you can do high damage to him if you have Freeze arrows on a War Bow and hit his rear Freeze canisters with a Freeze arrow. They'll explode and Freeze him again, then you can keep damaging him. And if he breaks free of the ropes just pin him down again.

Thanks I will try this strategy; I did try using my ropecaster on him last night, and of course he fell into some water; I didn't realize he fell into water because it was dark, but mostly because I was so caught up in the fight. I jump into the water only to have stalkers snipe me; ugh.

Does anyone else have 2-3 duplicate weapons and each focusing on 1 of the ammo types?

Like 2 separate Sharpshot bows and one focuses on Tear, another on Damage.

Or 3 War Bows with one on Corruption, one Ice, one Shock, etc.

With me swimming in shards bow I can afford it haha

I use shadow war bow with 3 +freeze mods and lodge war bow with 3 +corruption mods.

Radec

Was casually fighting 2 Ravagers and suddenly a Snapnaw bite the shit out. Then 1 ravager starts firing its shit so I sprint. I looked back and this Snapmaw is keeping up with me. 2 more Snapmaw throws their ice shit on me. Then 2 little birds joined the party throwing ice thing.
I had to bailed out.

Karppuuna

How can you sell Banuk Artifacts? I have found all of them but cant sell them, same thing whit the mugs. One buyer ask me if i have found them, but cant sell them to him.

Pillville

Sorry if this has been answered/discussed but I haven't read this thread to avoid spoilers.

But I'm a couple hours in and did they ever explain the difference between these locations?

Mother's Cradle
Mother's Watch
Mother's Heart

from playing I know that Heart if the main "city", and there's not much to any of them. I'm just surprised that they didn't explain the layout (or maybe I missed it).

Was casually fighting 2 Ravagers and suddenly a Snapnaw bite the shit out. Then 1 ravager starts firing its shit so I sprint. I looked back and this Snapmaw is keeping up with me. 2 more Snapmaw throws their ice shit on me. Then 2 little birds joined the party throwing ice thing.
I had to bailed out.

but those are the best fights :p

How can you sell Banuk Artifacts? I have found all of them but cant sell them, same thing whit the mugs. One buyer ask me if i have found them, but cant sell them to him.

You can't technically sell them, there is a trader in
Meridian
who will exchange them for rewards.

Same for the metal flowers and ancient vessels.

But I'm a couple hours in and did they ever explain the difference between these locations?

Mother's Cradle
Mother's Watch
Mother's Heart

from playing I know that Heart if the main "city", and there's not much to any of them. I'm just surprised that they didn't explain the layout (or maybe I missed it).

They're just names of various settlements of the Nora tribe in the Sacred Lands.

Portman

So, I found a ruin up north that was guarded by a strombird. Is it story related? Because I couldn't find a way in.

Yeah it is story related. If you take out the Stormbird (I'm not sure if you can slip by it) then it shouldn't show up later on. At least it didn't when I returned for the story part.

I see that the soundtrack is up for sale now on iTunes, Google Play and Amazon. Odd price difference though between the 3 since it's $15, $11, and $35 respectively. Wonder why it cost so much at Amazon? Perhaps something to do with being DRM free although I'm not sure how the other two stores treat that.

I'm 40 hours in and I think 60% through the main story. I really like this game and have been doing all of the side content but if I had to score it, it would be a 9 or 9.5. My only personal complaints are a lack of weather control and not enough music implementation. The only thing missing from exploring the beautiful jungles is memorable and comfy safari-type music to go with it.

The gameplay in this game is hands down the best I've played in any AAA open world game. Every time I do battle the action paced flow of the combat just gets my heart racing. It's just so enjoyable to fight robots in beautiful crafted environments. The battle music is great but the exploration music or lack there of I think is the only thing that holds this game back in my opinion.

Can you elaborate? Someone replied to me earlier in this thread that music is always playing during exploration, à la ACII or TW3. Is this not the case when just exploring or free-roaming?

ced

I wish melee was on face buttons. I'm constantly fucking up by hitting R2 when I think I'm holding L2, then it throws me into a long ass melee animation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom