• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only way multiplayer would be acceptable for a sequel is if it's separate from the campaign. Bioware style like they do it with mass effect and Dragon age would be fine.

I see that the soundtrack is up for sale now on iTunes, Google Play and Amazon. Odd price difference though between the 3 since it's $15, $11, and $35 respectively. Wonder why it cost so much at Amazon? Perhaps something to do with being DRM free although I'm not sure how the other two stores treat that.

Bought it on Play store. $11 for 80 tracks is amazing. Love the music.

Portman

Bought it on Play store. $11 for 80 tracks is amazing. Love the music.

I didn't even think about having credit from the Google survey app either. That's an easy purchase now that I think about it since it's essentially free :) Since I finished the game last night I can finally open the art book too and look through it while the soundtrack plays too.

I also was a big fan of the music. Got the music credits section recorded during the credits so I could go back to see what instruments were used. I had a few points playing where I hit the share button just to have the music as a reference to look for on the soundtrack later.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
One thing I'm growing to really appreciate about the game is how they wrote and voiced dialogue for so many different occasions. I was doing the quest to get all 15 Sun Marks for the Hunting Grounds quest weapons. As you know there are three tiers of rewards depending on if you collect the half, full and blazing sun marks. I finished the entire quest with Blazing Suns and went to turn them in for my rewards and the girl at the Hunting Lodge actually made a comment about how impressed she was that I had brought in all the marks at once. Really like stuff like that and when people realize who you are from your past deeds. Had a shy girl comment she almost didn't have the courage to speak to Aloy and wanted to be brave and strong just like her after all of her feats.

Sorc3r3r

This game may have one of the more clever enemies, skills, weapons, scaling I've played.

Often I over level my character and lose interest in the game...every encounter becomes just boring.

The tactical and strategic combat in Horizon wouldn't be enough to hold my interest if a single shot would have killed everything with my OL character.

Instead I'm still respecting the Big Machine out there even avoiding some configurations.

Very Good.

Ricker

Holy crap my first Thunderjaw fight and I killed it in on my first try... ***hugsTearblast Arrows*** and(location spoiler)
it was in Cauldron Zeta,so I had no choice,jesus,when I saw it was it,I placed all I had on the floor,bombs,traps,tripcasters,got to use the disc launcher but I dont think I really aimed at a weak point with it,I was so nervous lol...good fight though

Only have the Stormbird fight left that I never tried...

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
The good old trepidation of multiplayer strikes again. It is ok bro, multiplayer doesn't mean bad singleplayer experience...

I'd say that very much depends on how the multiplayer is implemented.

But anyway, I've got no time for multiplayer. That's it. I love a good dedicated single player experience, like Horizon. All I'm saying.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Multiplayer would either need to make some changes to the basic gameplay or they would have to get clever with how the implement certain aspects. For example a good part of the game for a lot of people involves using the slow mo abilities to target specific areas on the dinos. Slow Mo in multiplayer games can be really hard to pull off well and most don't even bother with it outside of Max Payne 3 and the F.E.A.R. games.

Just finished and platinumed the game at the same time. Feels good.

What a ride it was. I'll gather my thoughts and sleep for now. Impressions first thing in the morning.

For elements, do you guys carry multiple weapons with different elements or just use Tinker skill to swap out mods?
Get that tinker skill ASAP. As for elements themselves, carry multiple weapons or traps. Each weapon has their own elements tied exclusively to them.

That
lodge ropecaster shoots and reloads fast as hell

Kill3r7

This game may have one of the more clever enemies, skills, weapons, scaling I've played.

Often I over level my character and lose interest in the game...every encounter becomes just boring.

The tactical and strategic combat in Horizon wouldn't be enough to hold my interest if a single shot would have killed everything with my OL character.

Instead I'm still respecting the Big Machine out there even avoiding some configurations.

Very Good.

That is partially due to the fact that you are never truly OPed against the 3 biggest and baddest machines in the game. Stormbirds and Rockbreakers will still take a couple of minutes to take down even if you are up on the meta strategies. The rest are mostly a cakewalk unless you are greatly outnumbered.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
For elements, do you guys carry multiple weapons with different elements or just use Tinker skill to swap out mods?

Multiple weapons, definitely. Then put the element mod on the appropriate weapon.

The Tinker skill is essential though, for trying different things. I think anyway. If I'm using freeze bombs with my Sling I can put on freeze damage mods, then I can switch them if I need to use another element.

burgerdog

Yes, you can re-play the final mission if you missed out on some sidequests. Nothing is missable.

Good to know, I'm 32 hours in and barely did the two story missions after arriving in Meridian. Couple of posters have spoiled that armor you get from the story so I want to progress up to that point before I do the rest of the side quests. I don't want to finish everything and not enjoy any of the story items/secret items.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Finished it. Spoiler free impressions below.

Took me over 50 hours. Did all but a couple of side quests. Still had one cauldron and a few enemy outposts and corrupted zones left. By the end I kinda got bored and wanted to finish the game already. Once you hit level 50 there is nothing more left to unlock and the loot remains the same as well.

I liked how doing side quests actually matters in this game. Unlike Mass Effect 3, creating alliances actually mattered. So finish all the side quests before you tackle the last mission.

I didnt like the side quests much. Only the meridian one was fleshed out with likeable characters. The rest was pretty standard Witcher 3 stuff. Was hoping for more setpieces and mass effect style quests. Still what's here is adequate but there is definite need for improvement. Same goes for story missions which was basically exposition dumps. Every story mission basically follows the same boring gameplay formula and without spoiling anything it reminded me of Uncharted 4's tedious sections. The story and the mystery behind everything is absolutely captivating and probably the best this gen. I really liked Aloy and i loved how personal it became towards the end for her. very good writing, acting and mocap. Easily one of the best lead characters of all time.

Story could've used more likeable characters though. Nearly everyone in mass effect including the villains was interesting. That's not the case here. Loved Errand. Great character. The rest though, boring and one dimensional. Even the king.

I spent this entire week getting distracted by random herds, finding new settlements and getting new quests and just taking screenshots. that's 50 hours in and i am still blown away by the graphics, captivated by the combat which despite hitting level 50 was still very challenging. It's basically Bloodborne Meets Metal Gear Solid V. Just a visceral, responsive, and exhilarating open world sandbox.

Final Thoughts. I wasn't as wowed by it as others. I need more setpieces, more amazing story moments that have to do with the actual story, not just the mystery. But this is easily GG's best game, and probably the best game this gen.

Kal

I've been playing this for a while (32 hours) but I've only come across one cauldron. Without spoiling much can anyone tell me if I need to continue the main mission to find the rest
(I'm currently on my way to stop Dervahl at the Palace of the Sun in Merdian)
, or I need to explore more.

LiK

Yes, you can re-play the final mission if you missed out on some sidequests. Nothing is missable.

phew, thanks. gonna just finish it tonight. altho it was a good idea to do a sidequest chain before one story mission. the character actually referenced what happened in the scene about that sidequest. i was shocked because it was included without any weird transitions. that was great.

LordofPwn

I'm in that phase now where I naturally want to progress but I don't want it to end either....

Had that feel last night as i ventured to the end.

Easy platinum. Story was better than i anticipated. Combat was very satisfying. #2 needs map customization, more customizable weapon and armor options, and to maybe clean up the menu some. had to constantly go in and clean up my inventory and mods and loot boxes.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Warbow - all the same element or one strong one of each?

I jut unlocked tinker but it feels a bit cheap if I'm paused in the heat of battle and fiddling with my kit swapping things out, so I'd prefer to go in prepared

rezn0r

That stormbird you fight when
looking for the workshop up in the mountains
was a PITA. But generally I found the hard-tipped arrows to seemingly work better for glinthawks than fire arrows? Especially during the
Death from the Skies
quest.

I went and disabled the 3 beacons (or whatever they were) wearing stealth armor and he despawned. I was kind of annoyed because I was ready to fight him, I just realized I could hit the 3 quest markers first without even getting aggro.

Just platinumed it. Only took about an extra half hour bringing my total playtime to 62 hours.

Combat too good, never got tired of the game.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I've been playing this for a while (32 hours) but I've only come across one cauldron. Without spoiling much can anyone tell me if I need to continue the main mission to find the rest
They should be showing on your map after you did your first one. Do them first before you proceed with missions/side quests cause they are useful as hell. Just look for their weird blue symbols on the map when zoomed out all the way. Happy hunting.

No story necessary, just exploration. They should be on the map but the grey is hard to see.

The only way multiplayer would be acceptable for a sequel is if it's separate from the campaign. Bioware style like they do it with mass effect and Dragon age would be fine.

They should do TLoU style multiplayer. Stealth and crafting based.

They are not part of any missions, but you should be able to discover all of them just by exploring the map,

gow3isben

I agree completely, writting is often more compelling in The Witcher III but a lot of the stories there is somehow boring, the game has so much content that it's almost logical.
The story in Horizon is way more intriguing and impactfull and there are some bits of cool writing too.
I'd say the world is pretty much even in terms of lore (the tribes, the interaction between them and how they see the story of the old ones) quality wise but again, I found Horizon's more interesting and original.

Regarding Game of Thrones I'm on the same side too, I even tried to tie tribes to GoT houses.

Nora = Stark
Oseram = Baratheon
Shadow Carja = Lannisters
Banuk = Mix of Greyjoy and Targeryan

Not sure where to put Carja and... Therak? Terahk? by the way, we don't know much of that tribe other than capturing an npc and some documents.

Eww equating those stupid Nora to the Starks should be a crime.

On first try i took down a thunder jaw, run out of arrows on both bows and all the types of arrows, Only had the tipcaster lift, Thankfully the thunder jaw health was below 10% so i used his cannon to finished it off

Horizon_Zero_Dawn_20170310111736.png

Radec

First time fighting a Behemoth and 2 Rock Breakers on a corrupted zone. That's challenging and satisfying for me. Goddamn rocks.

I jut unlocked tinker but it feels a bit cheap if I'm paused in the heat of battle and fiddling with my kit swapping things out, so I'd prefer to go in prepared

Tinker is awesome, the first tier 4 skill I acquired. I'd say max as much as possible corruption, it works very well with multiple medium-large enemies. That is, if you have the Shadow War bow. If you still have Carja, I'd say frost as I don't recall enemies very strong against it, but personally I prefer the Sling for elemental debuffs.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I exhausted everything I had to take it down lol. Limping back to the lodge with a bow and maybe 2 arrows. Fun though.
Hell yeah, it was an exhilarating encounter. This game does a great job with some of the big encounters; it's like a dopamine rush.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
I went and disabled the 3 beacons (or whatever they were) wearing stealth armor and he despawned. I was kind of annoyed because I was ready to fight him, I just realized I could hit the 3 quest markers first without even getting aggro.

I thought of doing that, but before I could do that he was raining thunderbolts and lightning, very very frightning, on me, on meeeeee.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

I exhausted everything I had to take it down lol. Limping back to the lodge with a bow and maybe 2 arrows. Fun though.

I use three legendary Freeze mods to freeze the shit out of everyone. Bigger enemies like the stormbird take 4-5 arrows and become frozen. They are immobilized for a few seconds and even after they get up they are still frozen and take 3x damage. Take out the Slingshot and blast that fucker with bombs. I have three damage mods on the slingshot.

You are basically looking at 5 freeze arrows, 5 bombs and around 5-10 precision arrows to finish the job. I definitely use the handling mods for my precision bow though. I find that getting off nearly 10 shots in one slow mo is worth more damage than double damage with an extremely inaccurate and slow reload time.

Oh and use the elemental damage outfit whenever you fight him and equip shock resist mods on it. Take a shock resist potion and he wont do any damage to you lol.

There's a quest in Mother's Crown that directs you to the first cauldron. Completing that quest will mark the rest of them on your map. The quest giver is Dral and she's in the central area of Mother's Crown.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
summoning a mount to help in combat is totally legit, especially against human enemies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom