• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiK

Has anyone run into this weird bug from later in the game? You finish a quest high on a mountain. Right above is a rock cropping with a rope slide that will take you back down. However, there's no way up to it. I can almost jump to it but not enough. There are no hand holds. When I reload, I am placed on top of the rock cropping, but now the rope slide is gone. It's happened both times I've done this quest. It's the very end of
Traitor's Bounty - the area where Uthid and Vanasha are having a chat.

I didn't even see it. I just fast traveled.

Last mission spoilers:
Why is the final boss of the game arguably the most boring machine? Deathbringers don't feel... well, deadly at all. Was expecting one of those metal devils to appear but I guess we have to wait till the sequel, since they set it up.

Finished the game on very hard.

101 hours.

98% (one side quest is bugged for me atm)

I WANT MOAR GUERRILLA!!!

Platinum get! One of the best games ever.

C6lgTdYV4AAyHle.jpg:large

Didn't use the ancient armor, opened it only after finishing the game.

Szadek

Just started the game.
I went with very hard, since I'm always looking for a good challenge.
If it gets too annoying I can always turn it down.

Anyway, the tutorial level is pretty good.
It reminds of The Last of Us... for more than 1 reason, but mostly because of the design of the environment in the underground area.

Just started the game.
I went with very hard, since I'm always looking for a good challenge.
If it gets too annoying I can always turn it down.

Anyway, the tutorial level is pretty good.
It reminds of The Last of Us... for more than 1 reason, but mostly because of the design of the environment in the underground area.

Hard is a great difficulty in this game IMO. It's not too frustrating, but you actually have to respect the power of the machines.

Normal does not make the machines intimidating at all. If a robot horse dropkicks a human girl in the face, it should do some real damage lol

Mindlog

Fuck i think the All Acquisition machines killed trophy glitched out for me. No plat for now.
Happened to me. Turns out I had never actually killed a Charger or something.
The rockbreakers are seriously the worst designed monsters I've fought in a long time.

Anyway, beat the two corrupted bastards on very hard without cheat armor.

http://i.imgur.com/G1dMD2D.gif
Well there's your problem. Wrong strut.
PN4xPES.gif

That'll fix it right up.

I've finished the main story on hard difficulty after about 66 hours, but I'd say a fourth of that was spent doing side quests or running about, and another fourth was spent in photo mode.

Will share my thoughts about the game later this weekend. Suffice it to say, I'm really excited to see where this IP may go because if Guerrilla iterates upon this well, or even releases an expansion or definitive version, this could very easily become a juggernaut.

Had serious doubts about this game (due to me not enjoying any Killzone game I've tried), but I had a great time. It doesn't necessarily do anything new, but borrows from other games and has enough of its own personality that it doesn't feel like I've played this before. It's not without its flaws, but I would highly recommend this to any wRPG fan.

Also, Lance Reddick is always a plus in my book.

Edit: +1 for not making "GRAB EVERY DATA POINT" a trophy.

Had serious doubts about this game (due to me not enjoying any Killzone game I've tried), but I had a great time. It doesn't necessarily do anything new, but borrows from other games and has enough of its own personality that it doesn't feel like I've played this before. It's not without its flaws, but I would highly recommend this to any wRPG fan.

Also, Lance Reddick is always a plus in my book.

The RPG elements hurt the game in the long run, especially the story portions. It's a great action game but unless they add more branching off scenarios for how the story turns out, I don't think it's necessary.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
yooo that
quarry sidequest
boss was something.

zulux21

man... all I wanted to do was hunt some robo dinos. why is it as I watch the end credits I sit here questioning if there is a game with a more enjoyable main story :/

The RPG elements hurt the game in the long run, especially the story portions. It's a great action game but unless they add more branching off scenarios for how the story turns out, I don't think it's necessary.

Could you elaborate? I'm trying to understand what you mean but I'm incredibly dense.

Not really a hidden thing but did you notice that Scrappers and especially Glinthawks ambush you? or at least they left their bountys in the open and attack you if you go near them.

Also if you save a human bandit from being hunted by a beast he/her won't attack you afterwards.

Could you elaborate? I'm trying to understand what you mean but I'm incredibly dense.

As far as I know, none of the personality choices have any lasting effect on the story. If I'm wrong then perhaps I'll playthrough again and choose different options. Beyond that though, we're often given a choice for how we want to experience dialog and it just feels unnecessary since I'd imagine most people will go through the whole thing on their first go. I think the consensus at this point is that these vignette cutscenes were the weakest part of the game.

The skill upgrade stuff from the standard RPG formula could be expanded upon, but I'm not sure the game needs non linearity, although I would welcome it if they went deeper into it.

TsuWave

some of the execution animations against human enemies are brilliant. actually the more i play the more i notice how alloy has these fluid movements that are really cool, the way she "action climbs" over some cover sometimes or the diving if you're running towards a lake. cool, stuff

some of the execution animations against human enemies are brilliant. actually the more i play the more i notice how alloy has these fluid movements that are really cool, the way she "action climbs" over some cover sometimes or the diving if you're running towards a lake. cool, stuff

I lowkey bought the game because of the spear animations.

I'm not even joking.

zulux21

As far as I know, none of the personality choices have any lasting effect on the story. If I'm wrong then perhaps I'll playthrough again and choose different options. Beyond that though, we're often given a choice for how we want to experience dialog and it just feels unnecessary since I'd imagine most people will go through the whole thing on their first go. I think the consensus at this point is that these vignette cutscenes were the weakest part of the game.

The skill upgrade stuff from the standard RPG formula could be expanded upon, but I'm not sure the game needs non linearity, although I would welcome it if they went deeper into it.

the choices can effect later dialogue or even change some scenes. I easily see that as my wife chooses different things and I see them as she plays through.

it doesn't have any major effect on the story, but given how well written the story is I imagine that is likely for the best. trying to branch out into a bunch of different stories can be interesting, but rarely leads to actual good results.

Did the ending at 94% today. A few minutes later got the platinum.

Amazing game and probably the most satisfying platinum I did.

I actually didn't need any tips or Internet Web sites to achieve 100%. It just comes naturally and it's very rewarding.

Guerrilla, welcome to the top three games of my heart.

Now..... After a Switch to start Zelda Botw.... But please..... Give me a sequel quickly.

I'm dying to visit this place again.

MaKTaiL

I prefer they keep doing the dialogs like they did now. Branching out the story often leads to unfulfilling endings and the sequel inevitably picking only one of those endings to go forward. Horizon had an amazing story because it was the same for everyone and really well thought out. I liked that the different dialog options were completely optional and served to go deep into the lore if you wanted.

I prefer they keep doing the dialogs like they did now. Branching out the story often leads to unfulfilling endings and the sequel inevitably picking only one of those endings to go forward. Horizon had an amazing story because it was the same for everyone and really well thought out. I liked that the different dialog options were completely optional and served to go deep into the lore if you wanted.

I agree on the ending, if it was a create your avatar game then I understand different endings, but we're playing Aloy's journey here not ours.

101 hours.

I WANT MOAR GUERRILLA!!!

Is this what you were trying to imitate, because you got it at the perfect time aha, nice!

94f.png

the choices can effect later dialogue or even change some scenes. I easily see that as my wife chooses different things and I see them as she plays through.

it doesn't have any major effect on the story, but given how well written the story is I imagine that is likely for the best. trying to branch out into a bunch of different stories can be interesting, but rarely leads to actual good results.

There are some that affect the world but is not the main point of the mechanic.

They stated in some interviews that dialogues are there to expand the lore for those that are interested in the world. Believe me, there are people that just mash X and don't care about dialogues at all so for them going straight to the trigger that move the story forward is a common thing. To us that explore every tidbit it's pointless because we're getting everything anyway, but I understand why it's the way it is.

TsuWave

agreed. i feel like people are trying to turn this into some type of mass effect lite or like just trying to check as many checkboxes of what a bunch of games have done in the past, which is weird considering "doesn't really do anything new" is often used against horizon. Earlier in the thread someone even suggested side quests that affect the world, and though that's not necessarily a bad thing, it just struck me as incredibly cliched.

I want more side quests like redmaw. that was awesome. actually more legendary robots like redmaw would be cool. give em more HP and extra guns and attacking patterns compared to their regular counterparts and i'd be oh so happy.

Thanks guys, that's what I thought. I would have bought a PS4 by now but I made the mistake of buying an Xbox One a couple years ago before they announced "Play Anywhere". Will be seriously thinking about a Playstation with this game in mind though.

Since this game makes good use of it - what about PS4 pro? Worth the extra $150? I don't have a 4k TV or HDR right now so it's hard for me to know if that's worth it. There is the "future proofing" factor n all but yeah, would be curious to hear.

If you already had a ps4 in the same situation I'd say stay with it. However having a PS4, if money is not a big issue for you I'd say definitely get the Pro. It's benefits are worth it, especially that now it has the boost mode to make legacy games run better.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
that double/triplle arrow seems really good as long as you remember to use it (I only have double arrow so far)

TheOneWhoKnockz

Neo Member
Just got the Platinum and it was worth every minute of 60 hours. Hot damn this game was a blast. The graphics, the vicious dino-mechs (and their designs!), the scale and breadth, the cauldrons, the unique side quests, the fucking masterclass engine, and just playing as a badass chick that made me burst out laughing with some of her responses to NPCs. This was a wonderful experience and no doubt it's sold over a couple million already and we'll get a sequel which will build upon the foundation Guerilla laid.

Staf

Just finished it. What a fucking ride. Love Aloy, love the world. Best new IP since... I don't know when to be honest.

agreed. i feel like people are trying to turn this into some type of mass effect lite or like just trying to check as many checkboxes of what a bunch of games have done in the past, which is weird considering "doesn't really do anything new" is often used against horizon. Earlier in the thread someone even suggested side quests that affect the world, and though that's not necessarily a bad thing, it just struck me as incredibly cliched.

I want more side quests like redmaw. that was awesome. actually more legendary robots like redmaw would be cool. give em more HP and extra guns and attacking patterns compared to their regular counterparts and i'd be oh so happy.

This is the thing I want the most, make legendary machines for special sidequest and add some new moves or distinctions. It doesnt need to be 20 machines or so, but I guess with Thunderjaw, Stormbird, Rockbreaker, Behemot, and maybe a Deathbringer or a special Corruptor.
We do have quest for every machine and most of them are good but none had the intriguing story behind like Redmaw.

zulux21

This is the thing I want the most, make legendary machines for special sidequest and add some new moves or distinctions. It doesnt need to be 20 machines or so, but I guess with Thunderjaw, Stormbird, Rockbreaker, Behemot, and maybe a Deathbringer or a special Corruptor.
We do have quest for every machine and most of them are good but none had the intriguing story behind like Redmaw.

yeah sidequests not having much meaning is like the top complaint I have about the game.

it would have been nice at the very least with such an in depth photo mode to have side quests that give outfits that aren't good for combat but look nice/cool

Kaelan

The story really steps up a notch once they hit you with reveal after reveal when you get to a facility towards the end of the game:
(The idea of GAIA and how it was used to create a whole new earth, and repopulate is fucking crazy. Genius idea, and I have no idea how guerrilla even came up w/ it)

Also, the battle part at the close end:
When syles comes blasting in at the last minute to save you was freaking bad ass - made me stand up and be happy as hell. And then him apologizing for being so harsh when she was wondering where she came from. Great moment.

yeah sidequests not having much meaning is like the top complaint I have about the game.

it would have been nice at the very least with such an in depth photo mode to have side quests that give outfits that aren't good for combat but look nice/cool

Haha don't get me wrong! I really like some side quest: The one where you protect a group of people from Watchers and a Longleg (introduced there) and then chase a desertor just to encounter a Stalker! no story here but the action was fantastic so early in the game.

Story wise I found the Nakoa's quest pretty good, along with the Banuk village and the machines, Queen's Gambit (Vanasha's), Redmaw, and then there were some smaller stories that were entertaining, Death from the Sky was a pretty cool quest even if the story was pretty thin.

I do agree that we don't have the level of quality (in terms of story) as the best side quest of The Witcher but Horizon has it's strenghts while puting you in some spectacular battles and the stories are not bad, just no really compelling. Hopefully that can be improved in a sequel.

What I meant with my comment is that it would be great to face machines that have some legendary status in the world and you could feel that your road to hunting those machines have weight rather than just being surprised randomly for a big machine no one knows about.

The story really steps up a notch once they hit you with reveal after reveal when you get to a facility towards the end of the game:
(The idea of GAIA and how it was used to create a whole new earth, and repopulate is fucking crazy. Genius idea, and I have no idea how guerrilla even came up w/ it)

Also, the battle part at the close end:
When syles comes blasting in at the last minute to save you was freaking bad ass - made me stand up and be happy as hell. And then him apologizing for being so harsh when she was wondering where she came from. Great moment.

That battle was fantastic! really well done.

Although
I was ready to take on those silly Corruptors haha.

SilentFlyer

101 hours.

I WANT MOAR GUERRILLA!!!

What's your progression stats? There are
Story missions,
side quests and
errands. Errands you create doesn't count. Plus, purchasing purple armor and weapon counts toward your progression. So make sure you have bought all (purple one's).

There are some that affect the world but is not the main point of the mechanic.

They stated in some interviews that dialogues are there to expand the lore for those that are interested in the world. Believe me, there are people that just mash X and don't care about dialogues at all so for them going straight to the trigger that move the story forward is a common thing. To us that explore every tidbit it's pointless because we're getting everything anyway, but I understand why it's the way it is.

I like the dialog and I listen to all of it. It just bugs me how it affected the cutscenes and story beats.

zulux21

surely Aloy has to be a sony mainstay from now on right? awesome character

there is little doubt that she will stick around. I mean, at this point I fully expect her to get her own trilogy of games as sony can't be anything but happy with the results of horizon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom