• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

LotusHD

Banned
Man I miss the copy I sold lmao. But I got to experience 99% of the story so I'm satisfied. I love this game.

How's the replay value for this? Anything in particular, or is it basically you finish the game, and then one day just come back to it and do it all over again.

I enjoy open world games, and this really seems like my cup of tea, but a big factor in my enjoyment of exploring these worlds is use of ambient music. TW3 and AC2 are among my favorites for this very reason. Needless to say, I'm curious to see how Horizon implements this.

Is there any footage someone can link me to that would give me a solid idea of what the music is like when simply roaming or exploring?

It's usually quiet with some background mood music when nothing is happening but as soon as you reach an enemy area the music will start to kick in and change if you are in combat or stealth.

FATALITY

Banned
It successfully marries open-world shenanigans with a great story, a “Witcher”-sized challenge, and keeps it humming with smart, addictive combat against a tide of brilliant enemies. Our species might lack good judgment from time to time, but “Horizon” proves we’re still worth saving.

9/10

this game!

I remember so many posts in previews saying they were betting the story sucked. I saw who they hired for the script and had no doubts.

This. So much this. It's to the point where, having played Horizon and knowing John Gonzales essentially spearheaded all of the writing and lore, I'm thinking I haven't been paying as much attention to game writers as I should be.

I follow actors and directors. Why not game writers?

so after I finish the story will I still be able to explore the open world and do quest? like FF 15.

Yes.

Loudninja

Kotaku:podcast: Hunting Robot Dinosaurs In Horizon: Zero Dawn
This week on Kotaku Splitscreen we're talking about robot velociraptors, bows and arrows, and a bunch of other things related to the upcoming PS4 game Horizon: Zero Dawn.

First Jason and I discuss the news of the week, then we're joined by our colleague Patricia Hernandez to talk about Horizon, which she reviewed and all three of us like. (No story spoilers, don't worry.)
http://kotaku.com/podcast-hunting-robot-dinosaurs-in-horizon-zero-dawn-1792682296

surprised copies havent made their way to ebay yet... when ffxv came out, there were an insane amount

Same here, all things considered it hasn't really been out there although a few people got their hands on it 2 weeks out. Gonna call my store today and see what's up, hoping to get to today or tomorrow.

this game needs to come out already
giphy.gif

Tigress

This. So much this. It's to the point where, having played Horizon and knowing John Gonzales essentially spearheaded all of the writing and lore, I'm thinking I haven't been paying as much attention to game writers as I should be.

Well, if it makes you feel better the only reason I followed it was cause they got the writer of my favorite game of all time and I have mixed feelings on that (I was already hyped for Horizon and it meant most likely a story I liked but at the same time means he won't work on another Fallout. I kinda wish they found their good writer from some where else).

Isn't it kind of bad that the writer everyone wants on their RPG project is the same guy from like 20 years ago?

Chris Avellone is great but why aren't the writers of games like Sunless Sea, 80 Days, SOMA, etc. in demand and known and praised in the same way? Hopefully with New Vegas and now Horizon under his belt, Gonzales will at least be a more known name.

SomTervo

Is it kind of bad that the writer everyone wants on their RPG project is the same guy from like 20 years ago?

Chris Avellone is great but why aren't the writers of games like Sunless Sea, 80 Days, SOMA, etc. in demand and known and praised in the same way? Hopefully with New Vegas and now Horizon under his belt, Gonzales will at least be a more known name.

I'm not 100% certain, but I think studios like Frictional are increasingly taking all the writing in-house because the narrative ties so intrinsically with every inch of the experience. Like the writer isn't a freelancer but an actual salaried employee who works with the devs daily.

Could be wrong - haven't researched it, just kept an eye out for how certain studios do things.

Elitist1945

The Accolades Trailer just uses the same old footage. I actually liked that they used an 8.75/10 score in that. Ain't nothing wrong with an 8/10.

So as someone who has basically finished the game.

Sweet Moses, do not watch this if you're avoiding spoilers. There are MAJOR spoilers there
(even if you don't realize it yet)
Spoilers that only make sense as spoilers after you have the context... Are basically not spoilers.

The Lamp

Okay so I just checked out a couple extra trailers from the past week and they have most of these clips. There is one or two things in there that I am left thinking WHY THE FUCK SONY PUT THAT IN THERE

oh well, many of you will see. I'm really glad I didn't watch these kinds of trailers before going in.

So as someone who has basically finished the game.

Sweet Moses, do not watch this if you're avoiding spoilers. There are MAJOR spoilers there
(even if you don't realize it yet)
But they're all clips from the medias we've seen. By that metric every videogame trailer released is a spoiler. Also isn't something only a spoiler if you know the story or context behind it?

The Lamp

But they're all clips from the medias we've seen. By that metric every videogame trailer released is a spoiler. Also isn't something only a spoiler if you know the story or context behind it?

It's not just that...they spoil some of the best encounters in the whole game like it's nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom