• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChelseaLoveX

Neo Member
It took a long time for UC4 to drop, I expect it will be the same for this.

The price went under $40 just two months after its release. I can wait a few months for a price drop, but I can't wait years for Nintendo to drop Zelda's price. XD

It was actually a GameStop summer sale that had UC4 under $40. Would GameStop have that kind of sale for a Zelda title though, I'm thinking not.

That just shows you weren't paying attention :).

I watched everything they showed at E3 and press conferences. Those demonstrations looked incredibly uninspired and run-of-the-mill.

Plus, like any exclusive, whether it's Sony, Nintendo or MS, you always get the dedicated fans who hype everything up to oblivion just because it's exclusive, so I avoid all of that noise.

jmartoine

Because a lot of people are not getting this game because of Zelda.

I am getting it, but for cheaper when I am done with Zelda. My Pro can wait. It's Switch time.

In the same boat here. I have Zelda to keep me occupied for a while and will get ME: Andromeda and Horizon once I am finished with it.

Mugen08

That escalated surprisingly quickly, I think? I'll do my best to reply all of you, sorry if anyone is forgotten but here goes.
Why are you highlighting the one negative review?
That particular quote described my, rather insignificant, anticipations well so it was convenient to copy-paste.
that review is pretty munch an outlier right now
Sure, but those are often interesting and might offer a different perspective.
That quote is BS though. A game for those who love boring side quests?
Well I enjoyed Metal Gear Solid V and Fallout 4 a lot and similar quotes (probably in larger quantities) did not hurt my experience of said games and I'm sure it won't affect yours either.
Its an open world game, unless your zelda and have nostalgia glasses for older game design, i think we're still waiting for that big advancement in the genre.
The critisism of the open world genre as it has existed for a while don't go away unfortunately, especially since horizon has been in development all the while the genre was at its peak.
Taking away the subjective fatigue of open world game design, Horizon surely does what it sets out to do exceptionally well.
Possibly, I do not have any hands-on or know very much about Horizon but as you say (and I believe I also echoed in the above reply) it is a common genre criticism. I can see where it is coming from even in e.g. the games I mentioned above that I enjoyed very much.

So you're going to ignore all the other reviews just because this one matches your "hunch"?
Has anyone ever told you that sometimes your hunch is wrong?
Well it was sort off the point that all the other reviews surprised me. I happen to not be a big fan of the devs previous work and thought, based only on the one or two trailers I've seen mind you, that Horizon might have turned out more like in the quote. Now it looks like it might not have, so good for all that have looked forward to it.

jxN3

With all the gushing on my twitter, thought I'd see a 90+ metacritic score.

Nonetheless, still very impressive. Can't freaking wait.

ckleow

Wonder if Sony will do a Pro Horizon Bundle? They should.

In Taiwan....
PS4Pro.jpg

https://asia.playstation.com/tw/cht/newsdetail?id=4797

Plum

First Tales, Then Nioh, then Horizon. it seems like 2017 is about devs with their last game being shitty coming back in big ways

Don't forget Resi7! Lets hope Zelda keeps up the trend and makes up for Skyward Sword being lackluster in hindsight.

zeroOman

Well, they have one review they can parrot, at least. Horizon Zero Dawn: The C-tier sci-fi!

yeah the whole review feel like someone with superficial depth for this type of game... anyone will read it will think it's shitty game hell they give it 5...

Horizon Zero Dawn is disappointing. It has a story that I struggled to care about (complete with massive expository dumps—yay), a bland protagonist, and overtly repetitive and constraining missions that worked against its open world sensibilities. When Horizon Zero Dawn hit its rare strides—from its gloomy Cauldrons to traveling across its sprawling vistas—it only made me wish the rest of the game were as worthwhile.

it's like she played different game...

GHG

Well it was sort off one the point that all the other reviews surprised me. I happen to not be a big fan of the devs previous work and thought, based only on the one or two trailers I've seen mind you, that Horizon might have turned out more like in the quote. Now it looks like it might not have so good for all that have looked forward to it.

What are you even talking about?

zulux21

is there anything covering how the game runs on a normal ps4 instead of a pro?

I don't want to dig through the reviews as I am trying to avoid any major spoilers.

yeah the whole review feel like someone with superficial depth for this type of game... anyone will read it will think it's shitty game hell they give it 5...

it's like she played different game...

To be honest, I'm mostly offended by the use of "overtly" when it should be "overly." I look forward to comparing my thoughts on the game when I complete it, but I know I already disagree with the reviewer about the game's music.

I expected around 85 but IGN, Polygon and Jeff rating it this high has got me seriously psyched. Looks like Guerilla Games did it. Can't wait for next week!

I would like to pick this up but I still haven't got around to Titanfall 2 and Berserk comes out this week. Priorities :p

Also I don't know if I want to make a 50 hour investment right now. Looking forward to getting around to it eventually though, glad to hear it's a good game.

is there anything covering how the game runs on a normal ps4 instead of a pro?

I don't want to dig through the reviews as I am trying to avoid any major spoilers.

Most reviewers played on the original PS4 and so far I have not read anything that is considered a low framerate or anything else for that matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom