• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Clinton lost Michigan — and blew the election. Interesting read.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neoweee

Yep, and Republicans haven't really needed one since their voting bloc is much more motivated to vote than the Dems.

Clinton also had a huge assist from Ross Perot, if it wasn't for Perot, he never would have been elected. He only won 43% of the vote after all.

History has really turned against that belief. Clinton won by a lot, and Perot's voters were like Johnson voters in that it was a pretty even split between sides. Perot may have damaged Bush in his run, but Clinton did not win because of Bush votes going to Perot. It would have to be like an 75-25% split, or something, which no polls indicated.

There's a difference between winning Philly vs. maximizing your vote out of Philly. Democrats usually win PA because they're able to squeeze more votes out of Philly than almost any other congressional district in the country.

You also need to blunt your losses in rural PA, but there's a reason why she'd stress Philly.

Yes, they needed to maximize turn out, but SHE didn't need to be there to do that, nor did they need to focus so much effort on the area to do it. She supremely over-invested in Philly and ignored the rest of the state. She could have reduced resources allocated to Philadelphia by a quarter and it wouldn't have made a lick of a difference. The democratic machine here is well oiled and gets its work done. Even then, the biggest mistake made here was not giving street money to the local dems. Do that alone and you solve your turnout problem.

Yes, they needed to maximize turn out, but SHE didn't need to be there to do that, nor did they need to focus so much effort on the area to do it. She supremely over-invested in Philly and ignored the rest of the state. She could have reduced resources allocated to Philadelphia by a quarter and it wouldn't have made a lick of a difference. The democratic machine here is well oiled and gets its work done. Even then, the biggest mistake made here was not giving street money to the local dems. Do that alone and you solve your turnout problem.

Eh, I don't think the Democratic machine is good enough in any city in any swing state that no one needs to ignore it. She should've gone to Philly a lot. She also should've gone to Erie and Scranton a lot.

lol I have watched that.... it's literally "how Perot stole the election from Bush" until the end where they quote the almighty exit poll and say that's what did it.

Exit polls mean jack shit

This has been consistently disproven by political scientists since 1992. It is a wrong analysis.

Did Hillary use the same set of advisors in 2016 as she did in 2008? While ultimately her failures rest on her shoulders, some of the stuff you read in that article makes you wonder at how utterly incompetent her campaign staff and/or the DNC staff must be.

In many ways it mirrors her failures in 2008, where Obama was behind in the primary popular vote the entire way, but strategically chose battleground states to focus on and maximize delegate counts, ensuring his victory. To completely miss so many key things, in hindsight, a second time is pretty crazy.

jfkgoblue

This has been consistently disproven by political scientists since 1992. It is a wrong analysis.
If they are so accurate, why did we never have a President Kerry? Why did Trump win? Why didn't Gore win Florida? Exit polls said all these things, but were dead wrong.

They called Florida in 2000 for Gore pretty early due to a big exit poll lead, and later had to rescind it. And don't get me started on 2004.

Eh, I don't think the Democratic machine is good enough in any city in any swing state that no one needs to ignore it. She should've gone to Philly a lot. She also should've gone to Erie and Scranton a lot.

Funnily enough, before this election democrats were convinced Pennsylvania was not actually a swing state.

I was here for both of Obama's elections and his presence here was nowhere near the level of what Clinton had. The GOTV effort was at levels I've never seen in Philadelphia in my lifespan. She thought the city alone would carry the state and overinvested in it, and underinvested in the rest of the state.

If they are so accurate, why did we never have a President Kerry? Why did Trump win? Why didn't Gore win Florida? Exit polls said all these things, but were dead wrong.

I didn't say anything about exit polls in the post you quoted, but it's nice for you to edit my own posts with your own thoughts.

Funnily enough, before this election democrats were convinced Pennsylvania was not actually a swing state.

I was here for both of Obama's elections and his presence here was nowhere near the level of what Clinton had. The GOTV effort was at levels I've never seen in Philadelphia in my lifespan. She thought the city alone would carry the state and overinvested in it, and underinvested in the rest of the state.

She should've done both!

If GAF ran a campaign.txt

CzpDIDkXUAA11ap.jpg
At one canvass kickoff I went to the organizer emphasized how important it was to stick to the script because they were "scientifically tested" to maximize turnout. That's like the only canvass kickoff I've been to where they've said something like that, usually in previous campaigns organizers trusted canvassers to go off script to say things relevant to the specific person you're talking to. Oh and they also wouldn't let me make my own sign at a rally because people higher up in the campaign had spent "a lot of time and money" perfecting the official sign design. Both instances fit with the narrative of Hillary being too manufactured and "fake" for a lot of people.

jfkgoblue

I didn't say anything about exit polls in the post you quoted, but it's nice for you to edit my own posts with your own thoughts.

She should've done both!
Then what the hell were you talking about? The only reason given for it not being Perot's fault is exit polls.

Neoweee

They called Florida in 2000 for Gore pretty early due to a big exit poll lead, and later had to rescind it. And don't get me started on 2004.

Exit polls are bad for demographics, or bad for things that correlate highly with demographics. Random-Sample Polling, Vote Tallies and Voter File analysis are far more useful tools.

For actually determining reasoning and rationales from voters, there really isn't a better source than exit polls. It gets dicey when there's, like, second-order relationships and correlations, but its really the best we have for that kind of thing. Think when the reason for young voters to go to candidate A differs wildly than the reasons older voters go to Candidate A. Then it gets messy.

In many ways it mirrors her failures in 2008, where Obama was behind in the primary popular vote the entire way, but strategically chose battleground states to focus on and maximize delegate counts, ensuring his victory. To completely miss so many key things, in hindsight, a second time is pretty crazy.

That's really a stretch of an argument, because turnout in primaries/caucuses differs wildly between states in a way that GE voting doesn't. Caucuses are terrible and totally skew things. And then there's the Michigan shitshow. I think you're really stretching the circumstances to fit your argument.

Kusagari

I agree. People are putting in their blinders to focus on something that, objectively, not something that would have changed a loss to a win.

She campaigned hard in NC, PA, and FL, and lost all three. There's a shocking narrative bias to portray the entire race as being about MI, WI, and PA.

MI, WI and PA are the focus because Trump underperformed Obama 12 in all three and still won. PA can be argued a bit more because Trump came damn close to Obama's total votes, but WI and MI aren't even close.

FL isn't part of the narrative because Hillary exceeded. I think, anyone's expectations in the state. There's simply nobody, including the GOP, that saw 500k+ voters in the Panhandle coming out of nowhere to vote Trump.

guek

Banned
Did Hillary use the same set of advisors in 2016 as she did in 2008? While ultimately her failures rest on her shoulders, some of the stuff you read in that article makes you wonder at how utterly incompetent her campaign staff and/or the DNC staff must be.

I came across a story about a week before the election that went into detail about what it was exactly that motivated Hillary to use a private email server. The conclusion after pouring through mountains of deposition testimonies is that Hillary's main motivator was an aversion to change and the adoption of new systems. The extent to which Hillary is a luddite when it comes to technology goes well beyond the stereotypical grandma not wanting to figure out computers. She apparently had no interest in upgrading tech from what she was accustomed to and actively fought against having to learn how to use new systems, hence the reliance on a private email server she and Bill have used for years.

This is admittedly a weak link to her campaign choices but it does give you an insight into what kind of person she is. And that's not to say that being tech-averse inherently makes you a bad person, but there's was a stubbornness that played a huge part in her motivations for the private server and I believe it can also be seen in how she constructed a campaign that was incredibly insular and unwilling to challenge their pre-set plans in any way.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
i'm really really angry that in what seemed like the longest election in the history of the world the repeated assumption that 'clinton has a fantastic, nearly unbeatable ground game' went entirely unchallenged by press or even by the campaign itself.

HOW DID THIS HAPPEN. too much was riding on the campaigns displays of staggering incompetence and vanity. too much.
Gonna keep it real with you, this is a case of common sense losing out, common sense said that Clinton should have won by every account, even people who wouldn't have voted trump were saying that they most likely wasent going to

dionysus

Yaldog
People act like it is incompetence but to me this just seems like the inherent flaw in drawing conclusions from statistics and models. What happened in this campaign is the same thing which undermines so many conclusions based on economic, social, and even scientific models based on statistics.

Due to scarce resources in polling and modeling, you distill infinitely complex systems like how people are going to vote on election day to a few categories you can manageably address. You make assumptions about other factors in your model based upon historical precedent and trends. Basically you focus on things that have a wide range of possible outcomes and ignore the things that have a very predictable outcome. You say for example, we know with 95% confidence that black people will turn out at a rate of 60%+/- 4% and vote 95% for the democrat +/-1 5% so we are not going to do much to influence that group. We know that rural evangelicals turn out at 40% +/- 15% and vote 40% democratic +/- 10%. That is a high degree of variability so we are going to focus on that group.

Now you have tens if not hundreds of assumptions you make due to the fact you can only poll so many people a day, and you have even more assumptions you make that you don't even realize you are making. (A huge snowstorm doesn't shut down Philly turnout.) Even if results only have a 1% chance of being wrong, you have 100s of these so some of them are going to be wrong. What typically happens is they are not all wrong in the same direction, so you never even notice. But every now in then you get results outside of the model. And by the way, the field of statistics is all about quantifying the probability of these type of results. It is just people inherently interpret something that has a 99% certainty to meaning it has 100% certainty ignoring the fact that when you have 1000 things of 99% uncertainty that a handful of them are going to be out of range all the time.

The solution I see advocated is that you throw out what statistics and modeling tells you in favor of anecdotes. A lot but not all the critiques of the campaign seem based on this. They should have recognized these anecdotal examples as being indicative of flawed assumptions. Yet to me that seems worse, you would have a very reactionary campaign based on nothing. What basis do you have on trusting some anecdotes over others. Volunteer X says a 20 year democrat is going to vote for Trump, the sky is falling. Volunteer Y says a 20 year Republican is voting for Hillary, we are doing it guys!

TL/DR statistics and models based on historical trends cannot predict outcomes with 100% certainty because of limited historical data and limited budgets for polling, but it is better than running a campaign reacting to anecdotes.

The ignoring of primary results criticism I can see. But it is still a different situation. There is a huge difference between voting for Bernie and voting for Trump. But probably the real choice was voting for Hillary or not voting at all. What they probably should have done is put turnout numbers at the lower bound of possible outcomes, if not even lower to be conservative and run that as a worse case model. They probably thought Trump was so bad though that turnout couldn't possibly be as low as it ended up being.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I warned ya!

Potentially, but it's best not to count chickens before they hatch. As they say, "don't get cocky, kid".

Yet there's a lot of time for things to change. If you really don't want a Trump victory in November, you shouldn't take him lightly, even at this juncture. Basically, "don't get cocky, kid".

Which is why I already conceded that it probably isn't in my previous post. I'm using it as a foothold for the general point of "don't get cocky kid".

Maybe. I'm just speaking anecdotally here.

But anectodally speaking, I'm seeing too much of "we got this in the bag!", and not enough "hold on, we might have a problem here".

They got cocky.

:p

I hate referring to the "campagn". Blame should be at actual people within that campaign - like, the managers who refused to listen or the advisors who never thought twice about their strategy.

TBH I was thinking it was simply the Obama campaign team that migrated over to help Hillary - unless it IS and they simply got arrogant from the 2012 win...

Neoweee

Gonna keep it real with you, this is a case of common sense losing out, common sense said that Clinton should have won by every account, even people who wouldn't have voted trump were saying that they most likely wasent going to

This is fundamentally not true.

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/809105926993178624

"A coherent case is that the "fundamentals" (no incumbent, middling economy, high partisanship) predicted a close race & that's what we got."

"Clinton actually outran most of the econometric models—which predict the popular vote & not the Electoral College—by a couple points."

The assumption that Trump is a weak candidate discounts partisanship, or that the reasons liberals and democrats hate him are reasons that his base would also hate him. Clearly, the latter wasn't true; Republicans have no qualms about voting for an admitted serial sexual-assailant, who spews constant & unending lies, or is blatantly racist, or blatantly sexist.

The ignoring of primary results criticism I can see. But it is still a different situation. There is a huge difference between voting for Bernie and voting for Trump. But probably the real choice was voting for Hillary or not voting at all. What they probably should have done is put turnout numbers at the lower bound of possible outcomes, if not even lower to be conservative and run that as a worse case model. They probably thought Trump was so bad though that turnout couldn't possibly be as low as it ended up being.

Both of which had justification. Caucuses are an un-democratic trainwreck, so drawing conclusions from them is just dumb and misleading. Michigan has had 1 primary in the previous 16 years, so the demographic weightings were wildly inaccurate.

The lack of lit does really confuse volunteers. It's about $. It's being spent on television. People know hillarys name, but not a whole lot about her background or policies. Brochures dropped off by locals in the booonies does more than you'd think.

And with absolutely nothing to challenge it. The internet can't do that for people in the boonies - that requires mandatory feet on the ground to reach out to them.

jchap

Clinton was playing chess when Trump was playing checkers.

Clinton - Trump: 0 - 1

1. e4 ... e5
2. Qh5 (Send the bus back to Iowa it's time for trickery) ... Nc6 (Shit)
3. Bc4 (We still got this) ... g6 (NOOOO)
4. Qf3 (PLZ WORK) ... Nf6 (resigns)

I said it before. I'll say it again.

She lost because the last bit of information to come out about the candidates was the FBI reopening it's investigation against her.

Had the media outlets sat on those Trump tapes until the last week prior to the election, Trump would have lost. It would have been fresher in everyone's minds than the stupid email investigation.

Undecided voters are undecided for a reason - they wait until the very last moments to make a decision. And because of that, the most recent bit of information that was circling in the media just days/hours before Election Day was the stuff about Hillary and Emails.

All those nasty tapes with Trump's misogynistic comments fizzled out right after the debates and everyone stopped caring in the following weeks. Then, the FBI reopened their investigation and all attention was back on Hillary. And that was the freshest bit of information on the undecided voter's minds going into the voting booths.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Oh and they also wouldn't let me make my own sign at a rally because people higher up in the campaign had spent "a lot of time and money" perfecting the official sign design.

lol, like I'm going to take branding advice from the genius team who came up with gems like:

"I'm with her" (way too self-centered, not inclusive)

"Love Trumps Hate" ("Love Trump" is literally in this slogan, it doesn't parse well for many people and sounds like "Love Trump's Hate")

...and who made the awesome official logo that looks like it's pointing which way to go to get to the hospital.

goJKU5m.png

Neoweee

I said it before. I'll say it again.

She lost because the last bit of information to come out about the candidates was the FBI reopening it's investigation against her.

Had the media outlets sat on those Trump tapes until the last week prior to the election, Trump would have lost. It would have been fresher in everyone's minds than the stupid email investigation.

Undecided voters are undecided for a reason - they wait until the very last moments to make a decision. And because of that, the most recent bit of information that was circling in the media just days/hours before Election Day was the stuff about Hillary and Emails.

All those nasty tapes with Trump's misogynistic comments fizzled out right after the debates and everyone stopped caring in the following weeks. Then, the FBI reopened their investigation and all attention was back on Hillary. And that was the freshest bit of information on the undecided voter's minds going into the voting booths.

I agree with this, but there is some bit of truth to the argument that there could have been a better plan to respond to October Surprises (even completely BS ones), or that it "should" have been a safer lead, or some oppo could have been stored until the end.

But, yeah, Comey letter + horrible media response to it unambiguously cost ~0.7% of the vote. I don't even see how it is debatable. And were it not for that, we'd be talking how brilliant her resource assignments were, having won ~6 or 7 states by 0-4%.

Unless someone can point me in the direction of evidence that says differently, I don't think Trump had more accurate data (and that that's why he campaigned there), so much as he knew this was his only path to victory so he played it as hard as he could. Remember, even on election night most of Republicans that were willing to talk still thought he was going to lose the election.

IIRC, they had data that showed them greatly over performing their projections in the rust belt. To the point they didn't truly believe them until election night.

Here's one article on Trump data: http://mashable.com/2016/11/10/donald-trump-polling-data/#DLt.cqtGASqk

And another: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...m-saw-a-different-america-and-they-were-right

lol, like I'm going to take branding advice from the genius team who came up with gems like:

"I'm with her" (way too self-centered, not inclusive)

"Love Trumps Hate" ("Love Trump" is literally in this slogan, it doesn't parse well for many people and sounds like "Love Trump's Hate")

...and who made the awesome official logo that looks like it's pointing which way to go to get to the hospital.

goJKU5m.png
A red arrow cutting straight through Hillary to get to the White. Nailed it.

edit: I could even see it being a Truther fuel tank with its depiction of a pointed object crashing through a pair of tall rectangles.

Enosh

While on one hand you're right, the campaign had more than enough resources to further strengthen the blue wall instead of branching out to...Arizona. It looked to me like they were simply creating a facade of interest in semi vulnerable red states like Arizona and Georgia, which is a good strategy; forcing Trump to play defense with limited resources made sense. But the campaign then moved to actually try to win those states in late September/early October, which made no sense to me.
it makes sense if your polls show you leading in all the other places that you want to win and your goal isn't to just win but to completely discredit your opponent and his views
Hillary was obviously going for a big landslide win, hubris or trying to show that Trumps views have no place in America? idk probably a bit of both

but Trumps team also saw something happening in MI, PA, NH, MI and WI, it's the reason they did the crazy last 2 weeks of the campaign there full of events while everyone was mocking them for wasting time in blue states

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Lot to unpack here, so I'll be brief.

The main data based sign that was missed was that a red flag should have gone up about being down in Ohio and Iowa so much, but yet the polls showing that she was so far ahead in MN MI WI and PA. You had to believe that the states were not correlating this year nearly as much as they had in the past, or that the polls in one of those two areas were wrong. Hindsight being 20/20, you could have assumed that Ohio and Iowa polling was far more likely to be accurate (due to their history as swing states) then Wisconsin and Michigan.

Didn't 30% of Hispanics vote for Trump anyway? A lot of Cuban Americans I've talked to leaned Republican.

The issue with the "demographic victory" that the Democratic party seems to be aiming for is that as voting blocs get bigger, they tend to vote less like a bloc. So as the hispanic / asian voting bloc gets bigger (and older, notably), the idea that they will vote at the same percentages for the Democratic party is one that is based on some assumptions that may not hold true.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
it makes sense if your polls show you leading in all the other places that you want to win and your goal isn't to just win but to completely discredit your opponent and his views
Hillary was obviously going for a big landslide win, hubris or trying to show that Trumps views have no place in America? idk probably a bit of both

but Trumps team also saw something happening in MI, PA, NH, MI and WI, it's the reason they did the crazy last 2 weeks of the campaign there full of events while everyone was mocking them for wasting time in blue states

Also, the best way to make gains in the Senate.

If the polling was right, this would have be lauded as a fantastic strategy and victory as Dems would likely have a majority in the Senate.

Hilary truly was the Romney of this election, right down to having a fancy fireworks show planned which was canceled at the last minute once polls numbers started coming in.

No, Romney believed the polling was wrong that showed Obama winning.

That was because his own polling showed him winning in a landslide.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Hilary truly was the Romney of this election, right down to having a fancy fireworks show planned which was canceled at the last minute once polls numbers started coming in.

No, Romney believed the polling was wrong that showed Obama winning.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Yup. Senate & President were perfectly correlated for the first time ever. If she had won the Presidency, she'd also have the Senate.

There probably would not have been a perfect correlation had Clinton won - IIRC Johnson outperformed Trump in Wisconsin against Feingold.

guek

Banned

"Deplorables" was identical to the "47%" gaffe and's crazy how so many people failed to see the similarity. Many of the same people who berated Romney for dismissing so much of the electorate defended the deplorables comment when both statements were functionally true and both objectionable for the same reasons. Hillary's was probably worse because of the immediate negative connotation with "deplorable."

adj_noun

No one ever comes to Washington state (except Trump -- who got crushed like a bug*) so it's always interesting reading what it's like for the states where the candidates are actually expected to campaign. Kind of a window into an alternate dimension.

*I think Hillary only came for a fundraiser

Jezebel just posted a recap of this article that ends with a pretty good recap at the end of how I sort of feel:

But what’s really depressing is that we’re having a postmortem on whether Clinton’s campaign was too “corporate” to succeed or not. Trump ran a campaign that was, by all accounts, chaotic, disorganized, and plagued with internal tumult, scandals, and resignations. Besides being heard on tape discussing his enthusiasm for grabbing pussies, Trump was repeatedly accused of vicious sexual harassment and assault, in public press conferences by numerous women. He ran on a platform of naked hatred. He mocked a reporter’s disabilities. He started his campaign by calling Mexicans “rapists and criminals.”

Clinton’s “ground game” in Michigan shouldn’t have mattered. Trump’s defeat should’ve been thunderous and comprehensive, both in the electoral college and the popular vote. But instead, to an almost staggering degree, Trump managed to be treated by voters and the political establishment as something close to a normal candidate in a normal election. We all should have been better than this, and we weren’t.

The real gem is the comment section; here's a comment that echoes all the other anecdotes I have seen elsewhere, in the Politico article, this Jezebel article, and in many other places: (Hey, it wasn't just Michigan!)

I saw similar issues in North Carolina; disorganization, turning away volunteers, no lawn signs/buttons/stickers, etc., the same few neighborhoods being canvassed repeatedly with bad voter data, while others were ignored. Lawn signs and bumper stickers might not sway other voters, but swag makes volunteers feel energized (ironically, on Election Day, I discovered a closet with 100s of unused lawn signs at Dem headquarters in my NC town.)

and I think this zinger says it all.

look how can we blame the campaign when there haven’t been any contemporary examples of extraordinarily run campaigns that leaned heavily on ground game, grassroots tactics

who could they have even turned to, you know?

jfkgoblue

The issue with the "demographic victory" that the Democratic party seems to be aiming for is that as voting blocs get bigger, they tend to vote less like a bloc. So as the hispanic / asian voting bloc gets bigger (and older, notably), the idea that they will vote at the same percentages for the Democratic party is one that is based on some assumptions that may not hold true.

It is true that the Hispanic vote will become more split as it gets larger, but that will be in part because they have a larger say in politics. In the two party system, there will always be a back and forth battle between two parties, while a certain party can dominate for a decade or 2 nationally (Republicans in the post-reconstruction era and Democrats following the Great Depression until the end WWII), there will always be State and local competition between parties and the other party will find a way to become nationally relevant again. Parties are in it to win so they will attempt to appeal to enough voters to win elections.

The Democrats have been around since the 1700's, and they even managed to "elimate" the opposing party, but that lasted maybe 6 years before a new party took the Federalist place. We will always return to 2 strong parties.

So while it is almost assuredly that Hispanic voters will break toward less monolithic than they are now, it will be because they vote against the GOP and actually force the GOP's hand in addressing their issues. Parties have also flipped from being conservative and liberal, it is entirely possible that in 2050 the Democrats are the Conservative party and Republicans are the liberal party. Remember, the parties only care about one thing: maximizing their vote total, every thing they say and do is toward that end.

There probably would not have been a perfect correlation had Clinton won - IIRC Johnson outperformed Trump in Wisconsin against Feingold.

Johnson barely outperformed Trump, IIRC. If she wins, Dems definitely win Pennsylvania, more than likely win Wisconsin, and probably win Missouri (where she would have lost but Kander ran so much ahead of her that he probably would have pulled it out). Which gives Dems a 51-49 Senate where they don't even have to rely on Kaine as a tie-breaker.

kirblar

Felt like she got the Obama b-team mixed w/ her own people.

Kathian

Banned
She lost because being in a state does not mean being in the area you are most likely to win people over to your view.

Dems like to talk how she campaigned on the economy etc. But truth is her entire campaign was a get out the vote campaign - she never really campaigned against Trump - just played to her crowd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom