• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

Hey all. So, the motherboard on my desktop is about to go, which means I need to get a new motherboard (and probably update the RAM, and maybe get an m.2/NVMe drive). Looking for feedback, though.

I currently have:
CPU: Intel i7-7700 (want to keep this, of course, so need a compatible motherboard)
RAM: 16GB DDR3 (probably want to update this to DDR4)
Hard Drives: 2x 250GB SSDs, 1x 1TB 7200RPM drive (probably want to get an m.2/NVMe drive for the OS. So, recommendations here as well)
GPU: GTX Titan Black 6GB
Various PCI/PCIe cards
Probably some other stuff that I forgot

Important things for the motherboard to have:
Appropriate slot for the CPU (obviously)
A number of PCI/PCIe slots
An m.2/NVMe slot
A number of USB 3.0 slots
If it had some built-in USB 3.1 / USB-C slots that would be nice, but not critical since one of my expansion cards has a regular 3.1 and a Type-C slot on it as well.

And then the RAM (DDR4, at least 16GB, maybe more) and m.2/NVMe drive

Budget? I don't know, like $300, $400 at max.

Thanks in advance :)

Hey all. So, the motherboard on my desktop is about to go, which means I need to get a new motherboard (and probably update the RAM, and maybe get an m.2/NVMe drive). Looking for feedback, though.

I currently have:
CPU: Intel i7-7700 (want to keep this, of course, so need a compatible motherboard)
RAM: 16GB DDR3 (probably want to update this to DDR4)
Hard Drives: 2x 250GB SSDs, 1x 1TB 7200RPM drive (probably want to get an m.2/NVMe drive for the OS. So, recommendations here as well)
GPU: GTX Titan Black 6GB
Various PCI/PCIe cards
Probably some other stuff that I forgot

Important things for the motherboard to have:
Appropriate slot for the CPU (obviously)
A number of PCI/PCIe slots
An m.2/NVMe slot
A number of USB 3.0 slots
If it had some built-in USB 3.1 / USB-C slots that would be nice, but not critical since one of my expansion cards has a regular 3.1 and a Type-C slot on it as well.

And then the RAM (DDR4, at least 16GB, maybe more) and m.2/NVMe drive

Budget? I don't know, like $300, $400 at max.

Thanks in advance :)

Uh, if you have an i7-7700, you already have DDR4. There's no way to use DDR3 on any motherboard that also supports a 7700 to my knowledge.

Can anyone back me up on this? I feel like I'm definitely right but now I'm wondering if there is some obscure combo of 7700/motherboard that I'm unfamiliar with.

Xyphie

Skylake/Kaby Lake officially supports DDR3L (because of mobile) and there were a few LGA1151 boards with DDR3 slots early on. DDR3L runs at 1.35V instead of 1.5V so a lot of people probably ruined the IMC running 1.5V or even 1.65V modules.

Crossposting this from the g-sync topic:

So I just got an Acer Predator x34, some questions:

There's no reason not to overclock this to 100hz right? And once I do, you just can always leave it there?

If a game isn't hitting near there and averaging closer to 60 fps, are you better off being at 60hz, or should you still keep it at 100?

I currently have a 1080ti and ryzen 7 1700 (not overclocked yet)

Any suggestions or tips for the monitor or settings on various things to make the most of all this would be a great help

amnesiac

Quick question. If the fans on a video card aren't moving (even when under stress or manually speed changed), is there any chance at all that it's not a problem with the video card itself? AKA could the motherboard or CPU be at fault in some way? Going to upgrade a graphics card because the fans aren't moving (and it's overheating quickly) and I just want to make sure the GPU is 100% at fault.

MikeBison

So whilst overclocking my 1080 I keep getting voltage limit bouncing between 1 and 0 in afterburner. But get no artifacts, no crashing, heat and fan levels all really reasonable.

This just a pascal thing? Aren't they voltage locked anyway so you can't really do any damage?

But, yeah, that's in the past...
Moving forward to the future now!

Anyway...
Suggestions?
(Especially on the motherboard end)

What do you mean by "A number of PCI/PCIe slots" and "Various PCI/PCIe cards"? 3-4 GPUS? or cards that don't need 16x or 8x PCIe?

Anyway, here are a few that have several PCIe Slots, at least 1 M.2 port, usb 3.1, and type c. Budget around $140 because you are probably also going to spend around $140 on ram.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod..._re=ASRock_Z270_KILLER-_-13-157-746-_-Product
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/7VZ2FT/asus-prime-z270-a-atx-lga1151-motherboard-prime-z270-a
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/yY...tx-lga1151-motherboard-z270-gaming-pro-carbon

Here these can do 3- 4 GPUs without a $400 pricetag (is it even possible to do 4 GPUs on a 7700K? I'm not even talking about SLI, just it having enough lanes to recognize the 4th)

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132953
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128833R

What do you mean by "A number of PCI/PCIe slots" and "Various PCI/PCIe cards"? 3-4 GPUS? or cards that don't need 16x or 8x PCIe?

Anyway, here are a few that have several PCIe Slots, at least 1 M.2 post, usb 3.1, and type c. Budget around $140 because you are probably also going to spend around $140 on ram.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod..._re=ASRock_Z270_KILLER-_-13-157-746-_-Product
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/7VZ2FT/asus-prime-z270-a-atx-lga1151-motherboard-prime-z270-a
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/yY...tx-lga1151-motherboard-z270-gaming-pro-carbon

Here these can do 4 GPUs without a $400 pricetag

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132953
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128833R

Oh, sorry, just 1 graphics card (the Titan Black), and then various expansion cards such as a 4x USB 3.0, a 1x USB 3.1 and 1x USB-C, and I think one other although I forget off the top of my head (don't have the computer in front of me at the moment).

Funnily enough, I had just come across that and was going to come here to ask if it seemed like a good fit.
It seems like a good fit.

Sorry for posting a question right after making another post, but, how would this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017E0MA8S/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Compare to this:

First one's $30 cheaper, plus has an additional $30 Mail-In Rebate.
What are the major differences there?

EDIT: Seems there's some note about needing a BIOS update to use 7xxx-series CPUs...
That shouldn't be an issue, right?...

Sorry for posting a question right after making another post, but, how would this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017E0MA8S/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Compare to this:

First one's $30 cheaper, plus has an additional $30 Mail-In Rebate.
What are the major differences there?

The $120 board is an older Z170 model, you will need to update the bios so for it to recognizes the 7700. It wont post out of the box.

Also being older $120 is 2 usb 3 and 1 USC 3.1 that is the type c while the newer one has two USB 3.1 and 4 usb 3, and has a newer sound chip and one more m.2 port. The newer one also is capable of little bit faster ram (3400 vs 3800) and probably better at overclocking.

edit: Ok I didn't see that you had a 7700 instead of a 7700K. We can go for lower specs then since you are not overclocking.

maybe:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/7zGj4D/asrock-h270-pro4-atx-lga1151-motherboard-h270-pro4
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/hb...-atx-lga1151-motherboard-h270-tomahawk-arctic

ss_lemonade

My understanding is that thermal issues (specifically, VRM overheating) was only with the 1070 or maybe 1080. The 1080 Ti, which launched a bit later, doesn't have those same issues. The SC Black is great for the price; I have the same card (although I ripped it apart to water cool it, though that's really not necessary). The SC2's main difference is that the fans can spin at different speeds to cool different parts of the board as needed, but I really don't think it's necessary.
Thanks for the input. I might just go with the SC black then. They also have the MSI Gaming X but it's closer to $799

Not in the hardware other than the sound chip is not as good as in the Asus boards we we looking at before, and maybe Asus in general has more robust software support, but that's about it.

Sound chip's a non-issue (I don't even have speakers connected to my computer).
So, that seems to be a good pick and a good price. Thanks a bunch :)

I think I found some decent RAM as well (2x8GB DDR4)

Any suggestions on an m.2 or NVMe drive?

kuYuri

Crossposting this from the g-sync topic:

So I just got an Acer Predator x34, some questions:

There's no reason not to overclock this to 100hz right? And once I do, you just can always leave it there?

If a game isn't hitting near there and averaging closer to 60 fps, are you better off being at 60hz, or should you still keep it at 100?

I currently have a 1080ti and ryzen 7 1700 (not overclocked yet)

Any suggestions or tips for the monitor or settings on various things to make the most of all this would be a great help

I have the same monitor. Yes, you should always go the full hz unless the hardware or some program/app doesn't like high refresh for some reason. That's kind of one of the reasons why you bought it I would imagine. :p

Quick question. If the fans on a video card aren't moving (even when under stress or manually speed changed), is there any chance at all that it's not a problem with the video card itself? AKA could the motherboard or CPU be at fault in some way? Going to upgrade a graphics card because the fans aren't moving (and it's overheating quickly) and I just want to make sure the GPU is 100% at fault.

I can't think of any scenario where the CPU would impact the GPU fans. The motherboard maybe could, but that'd be extremely rare IMO. I'd guess it's the GPU cooler.

Tobe

hey guys, so i recently upgraded my pc to really almost max, only thing thats bothering me is that i have cool as fucking pc and its inside a corsair air 240 which is a nice case but i guess i want to show of the nice cables, rbg and shit.

what is a nice looking case, preferably tempered glass, i looked at the tt view 31 and the core p3.

what is better open air? closed?

hey guys, so i recently upgraded my pc to really almost max, only thing thats bothering me is that i have cool as fucking pc and its inside a corsair air 240 which is a nice case but i guess i want to show of the nice cables, rbg and shit.

what is a nice looking case, preferably tempered glass, i looked at the tt view 31 and the core p3.

I don't know about air and all that shit but Phanteks 400 cases are really nice, full tempered glass panel, comes with LEDs and LED functionality. Its dope

A lot of Lian Li cases are tempered glass, but they are pretty big. I'm guessing you are looking for Micro ATX?

Open or closed depends mainly on the dust imo. oh and fan noise.

asdad123

Good.

The included wraith cooler seems to be quiet capable, not the best solution for overclocking but ~3.8 GHz should be doable. The H100i series is a very good performer, but it is also loud and noisy, especially with the stock corsair fans. Keep that in mind before buying one.
Just one more addition: DDR4 3600 MHz is a great pick for ryzen, but reaching that ram oc can be tricky and I'm not entirely sure if an asrock micro ATX board will be able to do it. I don't want to trash talk ASrock here, because I'm not even sure a 'premium' MSI or Asus board is able to push the ram to 3600MHz all the time, even on 3600+ certified ram. So just keep in mind that ram isn't guaranteed to reach certain oc profiles before spending a premium on it. But if it works, great!

I figured about the RAM. It was only $20 more expensive compared to 3200mhz so I went for it incase of needing it in the future. Im able to get 3333mhz out of it on the motherboard.

I'm currently OCed to 3.7ghz on the 1600. Don't want to push it too much until I get rid of the stock cooler. I am hitting about 78-80C during P95. From what I read, ryzen tops out at 95, so Im good if that what I'm hitting on stress tests. Will see what I hit during gaming shortly.

Pif

Banned
Laptop question:

i7 7th gen + gtx1060 (6GB)

Or

Ryzen 5 + RX580 (4GB)

Right now, gaming benchmarks favour the intel/nvidia combo, but down the road will I see the Ryzen CPU keeping up better?

I went to Frys today and almost spent 800 on stuff

Gigabyte B350 Mobo
Ryzen 5 1500X CPU
EVGA Nvidia 1060 6GB SSC Graphics card
New Power Supply
Case
Windows 10(My OEM won't make it, I figure).

Almost. I figure I can find these things at a better price online. The only thing I'm hesitant about is having it shipped, I'm always wary of package damage when it comes to that. There is a nearby Newegg facility in the City of Industry however, so I can probably opt to just pick it up there?

Welp looks like my GTX 780ti is dead. Started up Rainbow Six Siege tonight, loaded into the main menu and then was hit with a black screen. Restarted my PC and it only loaded up onto one monitor. Was getting a weird blue dot texture thing going on as well.

Went into Safe Mode, downloaded DDU to uninstall all NVIDIA drivers and then reinstalled. Same "Code 43" problem. Did it again but I went back to a April driver but the problem continued.

Went back a day for System Restore and the problem still continues. Not sure what else to do at this point. Guessing the GPU is just busted at this point?

Bought this back in 03/2014 so I doubt EVGA will fix it.

Is there a card that comes close to the 780ti performance? I'm really trying to not go past the $500 point since I wasn't expecting to upgrade my build anytime soon.

I went to Frys today and almost spent 800 on stuff

Gigabyte B350 Mobo
Ryzen 5 1500X CPU
EVGA Nvidia 1060 6GB SSC Graphics card
New Power Supply
Case
Windows 10(My OEM won't make it, I figure).

Almost. I figure I can find these things at a better price online. The only thing I'm hesitant about is having it shipped, I'm always wary of package damage when it comes to that. There is a nearby Newegg facility in the City of Industry however, so I can probably opt to just pick it up there?
I would recommend that. I have picked up several things from there and you can open the packages at their will call if you want to make sure they are fine. They usually box up your items in a bigger box and open it to make sure all your items are there when you pick up. Some items might not be available though depending on what it is, but for the most part a majority of items are available. Again highly recommend especially if it'll save you money.

I would recommend that. I have picked up several things from there and you can open the packages at their will call if you want to make sure they are fine. They usually box up your items in a bigger box and open it to make sure all your items are there when you pick up. Some items might not be available though depending on what it is, but for the most part a majority of items are available. Again highly recommend especially if it'll save you money.

Yeah. I have the things in Neweggs cart, I figure I'll wait till around October and see if any deals crop up. Since I'm mainly building a new pc in anticipation for Destiny 2, I can wait another month.

It's about that time too. My old PC is starting to just be loud all the time(Well, it has been for the last couple years). That little 7 year CPU has been a tiny gift that has given to me.

Is there a card that comes close to the 780ti performance? I'm really trying to not go past the $500 point since I wasn't expecting to upgrade my build anytime soon.

Cards under $400:

GTX 970, Radeon R9 390, the RX 480, and the RX 570 are around the GTX 780 ti performance. The 6GB GTX 1060 is comfortably above it.

ss_lemonade

So I ended up getting an MSI 1080ti Gaming X today. Jesus Christ at the jump in performance from my 780. Witcher 3 at max settings + 4k runs just about as good as how my 780 was doing at 1080p with a mix of settings.

The 1060 is faster than a 980 I believe (which is faster than a 780ti), while being very much below $500. Not sure about AMD's offerings though but there should be quite a number of options below $500 from both camps

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
What's a good £500 budget build?

just a quick one i tried putting together. doesn't include the cost of the OS/monitor/keyboard/mouse just the PC itself:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i3-7100 3.9GHz Dual-Core Processor (£99.49 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: MSI - B250M PRO-VD Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£52.37 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws 4 series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory (£59.30 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate - BarraCuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£37.49 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: Zotac - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Mini Video Card (£136.54 @ Ebuyer)
Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower Case (£40.00 @ Aria PC)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£73.35 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £498.54
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-09-10 10:17 BST+0100

ISee

I figured about the RAM. It was only $20 more expensive compared to 3200mhz so I went for it incase of needing it in the future. Im able to get 3333mhz out of it on the motherboard.

I'm currently OCed to 3.7ghz on the 1600. Don't want to push it too much until I get rid of the stock cooler. I am hitting about 78-80C during P95. From what I read, ryzen tops out at 95, so Im good if that what I'm hitting on stress tests. Will see what I hit during gaming shortly.

Sounds great. Have fun :)

just a quick one i tried putting together. doesn't include the cost of the OS/monitor/keyboard/mouse just the PC itself:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i3-7100 3.9GHz Dual-Core Processor (£99.49 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: MSI - B250M PRO-VD Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£52.37 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws 4 series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory (£59.30 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate - BarraCuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£37.49 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: Zotac - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Mini Video Card (£136.54 @ Ebuyer)
Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower Case (£40.00 @ Aria PC)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£73.35 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £498.54
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-09-10 10:17 BST+0100

Might as well bump that i3 down to a G4560 - no substantial loss in performance. Found at least one place that (supposedly) has them in stock:
http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog...MI25y_3qea1gIVp7DtCh1XBwG4EAQYBCABEgI95PD_BwE

Failing that, a G4600. Either way it introduces wriggle room. On the power supply, Amazon has the CX550m at under £60 (not sure why pcpartpicker doesn't show that), so even if only semi-modular, I'd recommend that.

Now, using the money saved to squeeze in an SSD would be a bit difficult without settling for a 120GB drive, but given the other things not account for, that money could go towards a nice keyboard and mouse. If need be, one could lower the PSU capacity - though this would limit upgrade potential a tad - to 450 watts, and maybe take the GPU down to an RX 560 or GTX 1050.

Building under £500 isn't easy.

Thanks! This is very helpful. How would this fare for 1080p gaming for the next few years?

You'd be looking at a range of high-medium settings for the most part - lower if you decided to sub the 1050 Ti for an RX 560 or GTX 1050, and as time goes on. Only way you're getting better performance for a similar price is to hunt around for GTX 970s on ebay.

The biggest potential issue is that with Intel finally upping its core counts for the upcoming Coffee Lake series, developers might actually start building their games to utilise more cores - something that will hamper a CPU like the G4560/G4600 in the long run.

Also I realise there is at least one option if you wanted to go with AMD - the recently US released Athlon X4 950. It's a £50 CPU that's just a tick behind the G4560 in most titles (and slightly better on framerate in some titles), and AMD will be supporting the AM4 socket for years to come. That said, it would be a preorder at this stage for the UK so if you wanted to do this build next week for example, Intel's your chief option.

Thorgal

does anyone here use AVG Anti virus ?

it keeps telling me there are unnecessary files on my system and asks to remove those ,but i am not sue if that means random fragmented pieces of data or does it also include all the files i use for game mods and the like ?

The 1060 is faster than a 980 I believe (which is faster than a 780ti), while being very much below $500. Not sure about AMD's offerings though but there should be quite a number of options below $500 from both camps

1060s are a tiny bit slower than a 980s.

If you are willing to pay around 500 look for a used 1080 or if you can find it at msrp, vega 56.

What's a good £500 budget build?

Do you have to build now? With all the coffee lake rumors i would wait a bit to see if it is released next month youll get more for your money.

You can get a new 1080 (gigabyte ) for around $50 nowadays. I have the windforce edition that I got from $465 at Newegg 1 month ago and is really good. Fast, quiet, no coil whining

Jabronium

Got my new build up and running last night but when trying to flash a new BIOS, my USB drive wasn't being recognized in the QFlash utility. Mobo is a gigabyte ax370 k7. Tried several different usb ports, and this was the same drive from which I installed Windows. Haven't scrounged up another drive to try yet--anything else I should try in the meantime?

jajas2

Someone talk me out of buying a slightly damaged CyberPower rrebuilt PC from Amazon....

I've been pricing out a Ryzen 5 1600 build to replace my aging i5-4460 around Christmas, but this seems like a really good deal even though the case is a little scratched up. |We really don't get the good PC deals here in Canada so this is probably going for less than I could get the equivalent parts for myself. Does anyone see any real downsides to this, or should I just be patient.

Halp!

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01N7JB08V/

Someone talk me out of buying a slightly damaged CyberPower rrebuilt PC from Amazon....

I've been pricing out a Ryzen 5 1600 build to replace my aging i5-4460 around Christmas, but this seems like a really good deal even though the case is a little scratched up. |We really don't get the good PC deals here in Canada so this is probably going for less than I could get the equivalent parts for myself. Does anyone see any real downsides to this, or should I just be patient.

Halp!

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01N7JB08V/

That video card is not gonna hold up well in the near future. What a misbalance, using a Intel 7700k with a Rx 480.

jajas2

That video card is not gonna hold up well in the near future. What a misbalance, using a Intel 7700k with a Rx 480.

The thing is I game on my TV, so I'm gonna be stuck at 1080p for the foreseeable future. I don't even play that many graphically intensive games (though I might start since i'll be upgrading from my current 770 4GB). I use my PC as a media server a lot though and multitasking is very important to me. Should I actually wait for a Ryzen build or just say screw it?

Top Bottom