• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

The thing is I game on my TV, so I'm gonna be stuck at 1080p for the foreseeable future. I don't even play that many graphically intensive games (though I might start since i'll be upgrading from my current 770 4GB). I use my PC as a media server a lot though and multitasking is very important to me. Should I actually wait for a Ryzen build or just say screw it?

I would never pay that amount of money for a build with rx480. No fucking way. If you just need 1080p, build something cheaper , you can even get a better video card paying less

Thanks for the advice, I haven't been following the market for a while. I'll think about the options.

Yeah the rumor mill is saying Intel will drop the 8xxx series in October so I'd wait at least till then to build. Whatever your looking at building now, you'll get 2 more cores for the same money by just waiting a month.

ISee

Someone talk me out of buying a slightly damaged CyberPower rrebuilt PC from Amazon....

I've been pricing out a Ryzen 5 1600 build to replace my aging i5-4460 around Christmas, but this seems like a really good deal even though the case is a little scratched up. |We really don't get the good PC deals here in Canada so this is probably going for less than I could get the equivalent parts for myself. Does anyone see any real downsides to this, or should I just be patient.

Halp!

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01N7JB08V/

A "premium" overclcockable 7700k on a very cheap mATX b250 board that doesn't allow for overclocking in the first place, the CPU is 100% a waste of money on this board. It also doesn't allow to go for memory faster then 2400 MHz, but this build is only using 1x8GB DDR4 @ 2133 MHz ram stick anyway, which is also terrible and ineffective. Using an even number of DDR4 sticks of similar speed, latency and capacity is always recommended and everything else will lead in having slower memory band-witch and higher latency (=worse general gaming performance).
The GPU is fine for 1080p/60 (~high settings) but isn't a good match for the CPU, a r5 1600 or i5 7600 non k would be good enough.

Very bad and uneven build that is supposed to "shine" with some good keywords on a spec sheet like NVMe, 7700k, 2TB. I wouldn't buy it.

Okay, so I have my computer built and running:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/6jskNN

For the most part I'm happy, but I definitely feel like things are unoptimized or something isn't totally right.

First, please note I haven't overclocked my CPU so it is still at 3.0

I've noticed that I'm getting very hit or miss performance on the games I've been trying out.

Resident Evil 7 runs astoundingly perfect at like 100fps on max levels (not ultrawide screen since it doesn't natively support it, but still at 1440p)

DOOM and The Surge run at a perfectly smooth 60fps (I guess both games seem to be locked), gsync running, no stutters, beautiful looking at max settings

Then theres the other stuff:

Hellblade Sacrifice - looks pretty good at max settings 3440x1440. Hovers just below 60fps sometimes but whats kind of annoying is there is a noticeable stutter, its definitely not smooth, particularly when moving the camera around, I feel moments of slowness. Whats weirder is I've tried to lower the resolution, even seeing what 1920x1080 seems like, and I don't tend to see noticeable FPS improvements (this seems to be a common thing). This game is overall not too bad, but still, something doesn't feel right.

Dark Souls 3 - this one is pretty rough. No way in hell are max settings working and geforce experience is telling me the optimal setup is for some settings to be entirely off altogether. When I follow that, I get a constant hovering framerate flying between like 45 and 60. I can't imagine why I can't get a consistent 60 fps going in this game. I don't remember there being a problem on my old gtx 780.

PUBG - no matter what I seem to do, this runs like absolute garbage. I'm not judging a lot on this because it is early access, but still, I'm able to play on my old card with much less stuttering. I mean i have this right now on this new pc at 1080p with like every setting at very low and I can't even get a smooth framerate, its a disaster and I can barely play it...

Some questions:

1. Shouldn't dropping the resolution to 1920x1080 really kick up the fps in these games?

2. I noticed my ram (Ripjaws V series DDR4-3200) wasn't automatically at 3200 when my buddy set up my computer (i believe it was, and i think still is at 2133). How can I check the RAM speed and is it meant to be that you have to manually push it up to 3200, or should it have been like that from the get-go?

3. Is my CPU not being overclocked yet something that is really holding everything back?

4. Does anything seem wrong here, or is it just certain games being less optimized and I'm over-stressing? I dunno, i feel like for the build I just made, I should be hitting comfortable 60fps in a lot of these games

Jabronium

Update to my previous post: found an old 8GB usb drive lying around and it worked to flash the BIOS first try. Going to spend some time messing around with OC's after lunch.

If I get a GTX 1080ti, and keep my i5 will that bottleneck performance? Im scared that I wont actually be able to do 4k gaming because the cpu is limiting what the gpu can do

Nazo

I need some advice. The video card I was looking at a while ago and its been sold out for months because of the whole cryptocurrency craze that happened recently. So I was wondering. Should I just get a GTX 1080 or a 1080ti?

Also, I building an AMD machine and will the card play nice with the rest of the build?

A better question is will it play nice with the build at all or should I edit it in any way?

Here's the two cards I'm looking at:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GJEE9BG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XXZBPHZ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

And here's my build with the old card: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/kzHdQV

Bloodember

I need some advice. The video card I was looking at a while ago and its been sold out for months because of the whole cryptocurrency craze that happened recently. So I was wondering. Should I just get a GTX 1080 or a 1080ti?

Also, I building an AMD machine and will the card play nice with the rest of the build?

A better question is will it play nice with the build at all or should I edit it in any way?

Here's the two cards I'm looking at:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GJEE9BG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XXZBPHZ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

And here's my build with the old card: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/kzHdQV

Yes, it'll work just fine. AMD isn't going to make non AMD gpu's not work.

Celcius

°Temp. member
If I get a GTX 1080ti, and keep my i5 will that bottleneck performance? Im scared that I wont actually be able to do 4k gaming because the cpu is limiting what the gpu can do

At 4K the gpu is normally playing a much bigger role than the cpu. With that said though, what i5 do you have and what clockspeed is it running at?
Also, what games are you planning to play?

At 4K the gpu is normally playing a much bigger role than the cpu. With that said though, what i5 do you have and what clockspeed is it running at?
Also, what games are you planning to play?

its a 4670 at 3.2 Ghz. As far as games are concerned I try to play all major releases. I dont play racing or RTS games very much though

tenchir

Some questions:

1. Shouldn't dropping the resolution to 1920x1080 really kick up the fps in these games?

2. I noticed my ram (Ripjaws V series DDR4-3200) wasn't automatically at 3200 when my buddy set up my computer (i believe it was, and i think still is at 2133). How can I check the RAM speed and is it meant to be that you have to manually push it up to 3200, or should it have been like that from the get-go?

3. Is my CPU not being overclocked yet something that is really holding everything back?

4. Does anything seem wrong here, or is it just certain games being less optimized and I'm over-stressing? I dunno, i feel like for the build I just made, I should be hitting comfortable 60fps in a lot of these games

1. Try it out to see if FPS jumps, I don't know what settings you are running the game at.

2. There are 3 things you can do to get 3200Mhz with 3200Mhz RAM.
I. You need to enable the right DOCP setting (AMD version of XMP) in bios to get 3200Mhz.
II. If that doesn't work, then you have to manually enter the frequency, timing, and voltage for the RAM in BIOS.
III. If II doesn't work, then use Ryzen Master to set the RAM speed, timing, and Voltage. This is the one I did to get my RAM at 3200Mhz.

3. It might be affecting your first issue, but I suspect your first issue is caused by something else. If you are already comfortable running games at 60+ fps and don't need 120+ fps for some games, then I wouldn't bother. Most of my games already ran 100+ on my 1600x and I always limited them to 75 fps on my freesync monitor, so I didn't bother OCing mine.

4. DSIII and PUBG are pretty unoptimized, but you shouldn't be getting bad performance with your build, something is going on. Did you try downloading AMD chipset driver and using Ryzen Power Profile? That might help. Also try using the new Afterburner beta builds with Ryzen support and enable frequency, temp, fps, for your CPU and GPU. Play some games and see what's being limited, your CPU might be locked to 2.2Ghz speed for some reason for example.

m29a

Neo Member
That video card is not gonna hold up well in the near future. What a misbalance, using a Intel 7700k with a Rx 480.

Eh, it will hold up fine. Whenever they upgrade their gpu some years from now, having the 7700k will help a lot, instead of being stuck with a lower tier processor. W/ the 480, not everyone requires max settings. If you drop to a mix of medium/high, it's more than capable, even down the line, and it won't look that hugely different versus max. The fps hit is rarely worth it.

ss_lemonade

What i5 do you have? I have an oc'ed 3570k and the 1080ti seems to work well for 4k. It even works well at 1080p + 144hz, though I imagine a newer CPU would help me maintain higher framerates better at 1080p.

Speaking of 4k, I seem to be running into all sorts of issues after connecting my PC to my TV (Samsung ks9000).

- Desktop 1080p is incredibly dark, washed out and has a slight tint to the colors. 4k looks fine. Am I missing something here?
- Some games have locked refresh rates. Doom is stuck at 24hz no matter what resolution I choose (it works fine on my monitor up to 144hz). It also looks washed out, like how a limited RGB source looks like on a TV set to full RGB (the TV input is set to full btw). Resident Evil 7 is stuck at 30hz when using 4k. A 3rd game I tested works fine (Witcher 3), resolution, black level and refresh rate-wise.

I just got this GPU yesterday so I have only barely tested it. I'm just worried I might run into more games with issues like this on my TV (which is one of the main reasons I got this GPU, for 4k gaming)

What i5 do you have? I have an oc'ed 3570k and the 1080ti seems to work well for 4k. It even works well at 1080p + 144hz, though I imagine a newer CPU would help me maintain higher framerates better at 1080p.

Speaking of 4k, I seem to be running into all sorts of issues after connecting my PC to my TV (Samsung ks9000).

- Desktop 1080p is incredibly dark, washed out and has a slight tint to the colors. 4k looks fine. Am I missing something here?
- Some games have locked refresh rates. Doom is stuck at 24hz no matter what resolution I choose (it works fine on my monitor up to 144hz). It also looks washed out, like how a limited RGB source looks like on a TV set to full RGB (the TV input is set to full btw). Resident Evil 7 is stuck at 30hz when using 4k. A 3rd game I tested works fine (Witcher 3), resolution, black level and refresh rate-wise.

I just got this GPU yesterday so I have only barely tested it. I'm just worried I might run into more games with issues like this on my TV (which is one of the main reasons I got this GPU, for 4k gaming)

What cable are you using to connect to your TV? In general, you should try to use DisplayPort if you can.

jediyoshi

PUBG - no matter what I seem to do, this runs like absolute garbage. I'm not judging a lot on this because it is early access, but still, I'm able to play on my old card with much less stuttering. I mean i have this right now on this new pc at 1080p with like every setting at very low and I can't even get a smooth framerate, its a disaster and I can barely play it...

What is the game stored on? UE4 games like PUBG and Paragon really don't like being played off HDDs apparently.

Also try using the new Afterburner beta builds with Ryzen support and enable frequency, temp, fps, for your CPU and GPU. Play some games and see what's being limited, your CPU might be locked to 2.2Ghz speed for some reason for example.

Whaaaaat afterburner finally has Ryzen support? I figured that was a lot father off. May swap back, though I do like HWINFO

What is the game stored on? UE4 games like PUBG and Paragon really don't like being played off HDDs apparently.

It's actually being played off of SSD, so thats not the issue.

Side note: my graphics card pulses slowly with an orange glow, what does that mean? I'm wondering if its something to do with my issues? ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080ti

Also, is there a specific diagnostic tool or something I should download?

If there is any suggestions on what I can do to simply start troubleshooting, I'd love to hear it. If there is a test I can run and show you guys the results.

I just want to make sure there are no actual hardware issues, and that this might just be the way things are set up...

Edit: Just tested Witcher 3 on mostly ultra settings, looks amazing and gets to 60 fps outdoors just fine, but theres just a bunch of stuttering and framerate drops (which pop right back up), to the point where it just isn't playable. This sounds more CPU than GPU right?

Someone talk me out of buying a slightly damaged CyberPower rrebuilt PC from Amazon....

I've been pricing out a Ryzen 5 1600 build to replace my aging i5-4460 around Christmas, but this seems like a really good deal even though the case is a little scratched up. |We really don't get the good PC deals here in Canada so this is probably going for less than I could get the equivalent parts for myself. Does anyone see any real downsides to this, or should I just be patient.

Halp!

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01N7JB08V/

Coming from somebody that put only 8Gb of RAM in his build, don't. Really, just don't. It isn't enough. The RX 480 is a good card, but there's no point in pairing that with a i7 7700K unless you want to upgrade again in the fairly near future.

I have to have some kind of problem. I just tried shadow tactics at max settings and I was getting like 41fps, that game can't be all that powerful...

If anyone can help me with my post above, I really need to figure out whats going on with this pc. I just spent a whole lot of money for having this kind of bad performance, I really need to figure out how to fix this...

Zomba13

OK I need some help/advice regarding PSUs

(background)
I had an OCZ ModXStream Pro 600w Silent SLI Ready Modular Power Supply when I first built this PC with an EVGA GTX 780 Superclocked. It didn't last long until I had to RMA it but the replacement one lasted years until it popped/blew/exploded earlier this year (like, I turned it on one day and a big flash and bang happened). I replaced it with an EVGA 600 W 80+ PC Power Supply Unit - White and it worked from Feb till Jun (with same components) then I replaced it and found issues with my GTX780 (it would randomly crash the PC until I moved it into a different PCIe slot and then it worked until the card went a week or two later). Anyway, I got a new card, a KFA2 EXOC GTX1060 and everything was fine for a little under a month and now the EVGA PSU has gone again. Same issue as the last one where I go to turn on the PC and I get a flash of the LEDs and then nothing. It was working fine yesterday too. I've already started the RMA process for this one (which arrived from EVGA on its own with no packaging in a plain cardboard box btw).

I've looking online and apparently these PSUs aren't that good if you want to use them with game stuff. What PSU should I get? I've looked at PSU calculators and with my setup they mention how 500W is more than enough. I just want a good, reliable PSU as I can't trust EVGA for them. I'm in the UK so prices/sites I can access if you're going to link examples of where I should buy from.

Thank you in advance and sorry if this post is a bit ranty, I'm just sick of PSUs going and I don't know why. My old one was fine for yeeeeeears of long days of use and heavy gaming and then I get EVGA which I assumed to be the better known and more reliable brand and they just shit the bed all over, from the PSUs to the RMA process to the delivery of replacement parts.

For modern Nvidia 1070/1080 cards, do they take a single PCI-E 6pin or am I mandated to put another 8-pin into them?

It depends on what the individual card has. Some will take a single 8-pin, some dual-6 pins, others a 6-pin and an 8-pin.

Would still recommend filling both connectors either way

I have to have some kind of problem. I just tried shadow tactics at max settings and I was getting like 41fps, that game can't be all that powerful...

If anyone can help me with my post above, I really need to figure out whats going on with this pc. I just spent a whole lot of money for having this kind of bad performance, I really need to figure out how to fix this...

Drivers up to on the GPU?
Downloaded the chipset drivers for Ryzen?
Motherboard BIOS up to date? (probably not the cause of your issues, but still).

Tried running monitoring software while running the games you're having issues with to see what's going on under the hood with clock speeds, utilisation and temps?
HWmonitor and MSI afterburner are two great free pieces of software that'll help with that.

Norfair

So I put together one of the recommended builds in the first post and came up with this.

The problem is I'm getting a compatibility note:

The motherboard M.2 slot #1 shares bandwidth with a SATA 6.0 Gb/s port. When the M.2 slot is populated, one SATA 6.0 Gb/s port is disabled.

Should I be worried about this?

Drivers up to on the GPU?
Downloaded the chipset drivers for Ryzen?
Motherboard BIOS up to date? (probably not the cause of your issues, but still).

Tried running monitoring software while running the games you're having issues with to see what's going on under the hood with clock speeds, utilisation and temps?
HWmonitor and MSI afterburner are two great free pieces of software that'll help with that.

Drivers up to date on GPU

I don't believe I downloaded chipset drivers for Ryzen, maybe thats the issue?

Not sure if the BIOS is up to date, I mean it was just installed two days ago from scratch, is there another step to update after that?

I asked earlier about what software to download, I'll try HWmonitor now, thanks

So I put together one of the recommended builds in the first post and came up with this.

The problem is I'm getting a compatibility note:

Should I be worried about this?

Only if you expect to have a lot of devices use SATA ports to the point that the loss of one would cripple your ability to use all of said devices.

ss_lemonade

So I guess Witcher 3 isn't exactly perfect. If I drop resolution down to 2560x1440, I suddenly get 30hz output on my TV. What exactly causes this randomness? Is it because 1440p isn't a recognizable TV resolution? How about the other games being stuck in 24/30hz (RE 7 and Doom)?

Pokemaniac

So, I've been meaning to build myself a Desktop for a while now (like, for about 6 months now. I have procrastination issues), and hearing that new Intel CPUs are about to release has given me enough motivation to actually start working on that.

Thing is, I don't really have any experience building desktops, because all my computers up to this point were laptops because that is what I needed at the time. So, I have a general idea of what I want, but I need some help filling in the details.

So basic info:
[Basic Desktop Questions]

Your Current Specs: Currently have a Lenovo G780 laptop. Core i7-3632QM / 8GB RAM /GeForce Gtx 635M. But obviously none of this is going to be used in the new machine.
Budget: I can probably afford to spend a few thousand dollars on this. in the US.
Main Use: Rate 1-5. 5 being Highest: General Usage (including ridiculous numbers of browser tabs) (5), Gaming (whatever random crap I feel like playing that isn't on the Switch) (4), Random Software dev (3)
Monitor Resolution: Currently 1080p60, but I plan on getting one or two 4K screens at some point.
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Generally I want something that could take whatever I throw at it and run it at 60fps. Also planning on dual-booting Ubuntu and Windows, so decent-ish Linux drivers are a must. Also I'm going to want a Blu-Ray Drive with read/write capabilities.
Looking to reuse any parts?: I've got monitors/mice/keyboards and the like that I intend to replace over time.
When will you build?: Ideally I'd like to have something built by the end of October.
Will you be overclocking?: Currently no, but having the option open is nice.

So currently I'm pretty sure I'm going to want something with an i7 8700k for a CPU, 1080ti for GPU, 64GB of RAM (mostly because my work laptop has this much and it is simply magical. Also I will definitely use it. I'm like those people from Hoarders but with browser tabs), and 2x1TB SSDs (one for each OS. Will most likely supplement with a higher capacity HDD later, but it's not vital to the base build). Also, I don't have many opinions about the case outside of wanting one that is largely transparent, so if someone could point me to ones like those, that'd be nice.

So, now that I've laid all that out here's a few more specific questions:
  • Is there anything about that seems unreasonable or unbalanced?
  • The Samsung 960 seems like a good SSD to go with, but it's not clear if there's any reason I might want to go with the Pro over the Evo model.
  • I see a lot of variants of the 1080ti, but I'm not really sure what to look for.
  • I know I'll need to wait on the CPU to look at motherboards, but I should be able to start buying the rest of this stuff now, right?
  • Are there any specialized tools or materials I should buy for the purpose of putting this together?

If someone could help me turn that jumble above into an actual parts list that would be greatly appreciated.

Oh my god I think it was just the AMD chipset drivers I needed to download! Did that in five seconds, restarted my pc and played a game of PUBG at perfect 100 fps! This is insane, thanks for the suggestion!

coughlanio

I'm tempted to get a Ryzen + Vega 64 so I don't have to subscribe to Nvidia's G-SYNC bullshit...hard to say no to Nvidia performance though.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Hey all, probably will be adding some/an image, but Soka has updated some builds which are also in the OP.
These will be getting edited tomorrow as well with a few changes, but the core parts are mostly set.

I thought I had the mental headspace to dedicate to another thread, but I didn't because of shifting life priorities, thanks everyone and I hope the threads have been helpful!

Oh my god I think it was just the AMD chipset drivers I needed to download! Did that in five seconds, restarted my pc and played a game of PUBG at perfect 100 fps! This is insane, thanks for the suggestion!

I spoke too soon :(

A lot of stuff still seems pretty broken. I literally got kicked out of Dark Souls 3 because my framerate was too low(?), Witcher can't keep the framerate stable, shadow tactics was running better but kind of weird, Rise of the Tomb Raider is a disaster...

Hellblade was running better though and PUBG works excellently now, so I don't know what the hell is going on

I was thinking about treating myself with a new keyboard and retiring my ancient G15. The latest RGB lighting and mechanical keyboards are pretty sweet but what happened to LCD panels on keyboards?

Momentary

Banned
My Sentry ITX case made it in. Was a tad bit pricey, but the build quality is astounding. Nothing on the case is cheap. I ended up with the white variant. O love how clean the case is. I have this and the S4 mini, but I think I'm going to try and make a powerhouse out of Sentry and use the Mini for an AMD powered gaming/media center.

What's the best slim ITX cooler money can buy right now? From what I understand it's the Noctua NH-L9i.

I was wondering if anyone knows of maybe boutique manufacturers that make better coolers.

Mrbob

This is going to be an expensive month. Decided I'm going to upgrade my desktop PC internals alongside my home theater PC. My home theater PC I'm waiting on the 8700k but I went amd for my desktop since I use it for productivity alongside gaming. I found some decent prices on jet.com if you are a new customer. You can use code SAVE 15 and get 15% off your first 3 orders (max 20 dollars off) so I picked up a cpu, motherboard, and ram on three separate orders. Grabbed the AMD 1700 since they have it for 295 which was 275 after discount (they currently have the 1600 at 209 which would be 189 after but I wanted the 8 cores). MSI b350 pro carbo motherboard was 110 after 20 off and gskill ripjaw 16gb ddr4 3200 memory for 135 after discount. All together about 515 for all the parts which I thought was decent price for everything. Especially since I'm budgeting 400 for the 8700k alone.

ISee

For modern Nvidia 1070/1080 cards, do they take a single PCI-E 6pin or am I mandated to put another 8-pin into them?

If you're looking for good 1070s/1080s with just one power connector (8pin though) take a look at gigabytes Windforce and G1 cards. Great cooling, good build quality and low price points.
You can easily OC them to ~2GHz, but higher will be a problem because they will start to run into power-limitations (obviously). That's by the way the reason people don't recommend them on a regular basis, no matter if you win the silicon lottery you'll never be able to go for the magical 2.1 GHz on them. But if you just want to use one power connector, or don't care about max. overclocking... great cards that are cheaper then other high end iterations.

A lot of stuff still seems pretty broken. I literally got kicked out of Dark Souls 3 because my framerate was too low(?), Witcher can't keep the framerate stable, shadow tactics was running better but kind of weird, Rise of the Tomb Raider is a disaster...

Hellblade was running better though and PUBG works excellently now, so I don't know what the hell is going on
How are your temps?

Only thing I can suggest for some games is that you lock the frame rate through RTSS (Riva Tuner, it comes with MSI Afterburner) and see if they run stable at 60FPS that way. That'll help with frame pacing leading to smoother gameplay.

I don't think it's a problem with your graphics card and or drivers, since it's fine in some games and also upto date.

I would really recommend overclocking your CPU though as that will help with your minimum FPS.
Personally, my minimum FPS in the R6 Siege benchmark went from 90 to 110 after OCing my R5 1600 to 3.8Ghz. In general gameplay it stays at 144FPS with the odd dip to 120 that's barely noticeable.

I'd also recommend going through your Windows settings and disabling any resources draining background services.

As for the BIOS, you have to download it to a USB stick from your motherboard manufacturer's website, then boot into your BIOS and flash it. I'd really recommend watching a video or googling that to get a more in depth guide on it.

Aside of going through and updating every driver you can - including audio, as that once impacted my performance going from AMD to Intel - if you're desperate you can try deleting and reinstalling (well, Windows will do the latter automatically from the reboot) your CPU drivers. That was one unconventional fix for me when CPU utilisation was completely borked on my 6700k, resulting in 30-40 FPS in the Witcher 3 where I got 60 before, and 6 FPS in the likes of Star Trek Online.

Hey all, probably will be adding some/an image, but Soka has updated some builds which are also in the OP.
These will be getting edited tomorrow as well with a few changes, but the core parts are mostly set.

I thought I had the mental headspace to dedicate to another thread, but I didn't because of shifting life priorities, thanks everyone and I hope the threads have been helpful!

Hi all, so as Hazaro mentioned, I did my best with these builds, taking into account my own knowledge/experience, input from Hazaro, and input from a few people in this thread. I'm still tweaking a few things (mainly the CPU cooler choices in the high-end builds), but they're more-or-less ready.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions for these builds either now or in the future; I can adjust the builds through PCPartPicker without the need for Hazaro to edit the OP, so it'll be very easy to keep them updated part-wise (he'll need to edit his post to change the titles of the builds, however).

I suspect they'll remain pretty much the same until Coffee Lake launches and we see benchmarks. At that point, I wouldn't be surprised to see many of the AMD builds be replaced with Coffee Lake builds.... but it'll all depend on the benchmarks/pricing.

so what is the best mouse DPI setting for FPS? I am still adjusting keyboard and mouse, coming from controller.

I use 3000 DPI for windows, but I think 3000dpi is too sensitive for gaming

Asked EVGA if they could replace my 6 month out of warranty 780Ti OC but no luck. :( Was really hoping this card would last until I decided to jump on the 1080ti since it's done so well.

Any recommendations for a replacement card? Should I grab the ASUS 1060 6GB or go for something else? Been gaming on 1080p and I'm fine with that since I still have two 1080p monitors.

Mrbob

Hi all, so as Hazaro mentioned, I did my best with these builds, taking into account my own knowledge/experience, input from Hazaro, and input from a few people in this thread. I'm still tweaking a few things (mainly the CPU cooler choices in the high-end builds), but they're more-or-less ready.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions for these builds either now or in the future; I can adjust the builds through PCPartPicker without the need for Hazaro to edit the OP, so it'll be very easy to keep them updated part-wise (he'll need to edit his post to change the titles of the builds, however).

I suspect they'll remain pretty much the same until Coffee Lake launches and we see benchmarks. At that point, I wouldn't be surprised to see many of the AMD builds be replaced with Coffee Lake builds.... but it'll all depend on the benchmarks/pricing.

They look good. Have you thought about some x370 boards for the higher end amd builds? I see the x370 ASRock taichi being recommended online many places. Or the Asus Hero 6.

LordAlu

so what is the best mouse DPI setting for FPS? I am still adjusting keyboard and mouse, coming from controller.

I use 3000 DPI for windows, but I think 3000dpi is too sensitive for gaming
Try an FPS Trainer. Lower your DPI in half and try some of the tests. Then half it again and try some more. Start raising or lowering it depending on how comfortable you are with the tests until you find the one where you get the most points consistently.

I found that 800DPI was good for me (Windows is at 1800DPI) but it will feel different for everyone.

Try an FPS Trainer. Lower your DPI in half and try some of the tests. Then half it again and try some more. Start raising or lowering it depending on how comfortable you are with the tests until you find the one where you get the most points consistently.

I found that 800DPI was good for me (Windows is at 1800DPI) but it will feel different for everyone.

will check that, thanks man

Top Bottom