• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I think Microsoft might surprise a bunch of people

Hoo-doo

Banned
imVflTJrHtxLM.gif

8 gigs of that RAM is shitty? Deep Down was shitty? Come on now.

Dude's been leaking salt in every thread even remotely related to the PS4.

Woo-Fu

Banned
I'm sure Microsoft will surprise plenty of people. I'm not sure who those people are or if the surprise will be a pleasant one.

They'll surprise me if they really get back into 1st party development in a big way. Early on this generation they shed most of their 1st party studios, arguably didn't need them. Later on though Sony's huge stable of studios continued to put out nice exclusives while Microsoft put out next to nothing.

What I see of their broad focus on anything in the living room and not just gaming makes me doubt Microsoft will be jumping back into 1st party studios with both, or any feet for that matter. Without those exclusives I find it hard to differentiate their platform---in a good way, that is---from the PC I'm typing this post on.

Shayan

Banned
The only thing that would surprise me is if it ends up even shittier than the ps4. Although it wouldn't be a big surprise.

I truely hope MS forgo the 500m it spent so far on Durango and tweaks it to match the PS4. A 6 month delay wont cause any damage but would put a big smile on some of you who are thinking of some secret sauce

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I think it's crazy at this point to expect that with specs over a year old something hasn't changed at MS. Especially considering we know they've tightened up security since, and are even more likely to be cognizant of how much more RAM has helped in the past generation.

Though I totally expect specs to not be a focus during their presentation. Much like everything else MS does nowadays, I expect them to spend all their time discussing all the end-user experiences and stuff rather than how big their consoles wang is. This is also sorta mirrors their approach for the hardware from the looks of it. So far we've all gotten word that the consoles are close in performance (pre-8GB) and I'm inclined to believe some technical wizardry makes it so.

I do think MS will surprise people, but only because people's expectations are at rock bottom right now and folks are willing to assume and give the benefit of the doubt to Sony after 2/20. I expect considerably less BS than rumoured, though I do expect some BS.

Hindle

Banned
I'm sure Microsoft will surprise plenty of people. I'm not sure who those people are or if the surprise will be a pleasant one.

They'll surprise me if they really get back into 1st party development in a big way. Early on this generation they shed most of their 1st party studios, arguably didn't need them. Later on though Sony's huge stable of studios continued to put out nice exclusives while Microsoft put out next to nothing.

What I see of their broad focus on anything in the living room and not just gaming makes me doubt Microsoft will be jumping back into 1st party studios with both, or any feet for that matter. Without those exclusives I find it hard to differentiate their platform---in a good way, that is---from the PC I'm typing this post on.

Yet another incorrect stance about MS and exclusives. MS released exclusives as well in the past few years.

When he responds to this, I fully expect he will change his arguement to MS didn't make any new IP.

Derrick01

Banned
Yet another incorrect stance about MS and exclusives. MS released exclusives as well in the past few years.

When he responds to this, I fully expect he will change his arguement to MS didn't make any new IP.

He said next to nothing. ~5 non kinect games total in 3 years is pretty close to nothing.

I truely hope MS forgo the 500m it spent so far on Durango and tweaks it to match the PS4. A 6 month delay wont cause any damage but would put a big smile on some of you who are thinking of some secret sauce
To many people are assuming the machine is weak. The comments about tweaking the machine are stupid because we don't know what the specs are.

Hindle

Banned
He said next to nothing. ~5 non kinect games total in 3 years is pretty close to nothing.

Quality - Quantity.

I'd rather have 5 really great exclusives then the sheer amount Sony put out.

Edit Unless you're saying Playstatuon All Stars, Twisted Metal, StarHawk, are all fantastic?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Dynopia said:
I don't understand the mentality gaf has that MS can't go toe to toe with Sony in terms of power? Why exactly is this out of reach for MS? I mean the one thing can prevent a lack of power is a lack of money and we all know who is vastly on top there. Exactly why does Sony have such a stronghold on the best tech????

Its not really a case of can't, more a case of why should they when what they have is more than good enough to achieve their aims.

MS big problem, if those leaked system-block diagrams are to be believed (and given SuperDaE has apparently gotten busted over them, it seems reasonable) is that they've opted for an approach based on 32mb of fast embedded memory and these Oban blitter parts to get around using 8gb of fast memory.

This tech seems specifically focussed on the hybrid gaming-console/media-box approach that's long been MS true goal for the platform. At this point upgrading the rest of the system ram from DDR3 to DDR5 would diminish the value of all this bespoke tech they're burning their transistor budget on. I say diminish because doubtless all their system libraries will already be based around leveraging Oban tech into ther datapaths for optimum efficiency.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I'd prefer them to Resistance, Playstaion All stars, or the other games I mentioned.
Pretty much this.

The only real IPs that interested me this gen are inFamous, LBP, GoW, MotorStorm and GT. Apparently Apocalypse was crap, inFamous is just okay, and the rest of those haven't been seen for 2+ years now, and Forza has been ahead of the curve compared to GT in everything for years now, including graphical consistency.

MS has been focusing on quality, AAA titles instead of publishing everything under the sun, but they DO need more variety. Shooter, shooter, RPG, racing game isn't going to cut it. I've no doubt Rare is working on something to fill that gap. They need to take the risks Sony takes. I think the 4+ new IPs is part of that, even if one is a shooter.

All of Sony's first party efforts bombed last year. Some of them didn't even look like good ideas. They should just narrow down to what sells and not just look for quantity hoping something sticks.

KingRAW

Neo Member
I've been disappointed with pretty much all consoles the past two years. I don't think any console maker has done better or worse because of how bad developers have been lately. The core gamer has been alienated on all sides, thus is why we have devs crying about more money, studios shutting down, and great IP's being flushed down the toilet in favor of what "popular".

IMO, I expect the next console by MS to be a capable competing system.

Derrick01

Banned
All of Sony's first party efforts bombed last year. Some of them didn't even look like good ideas. They should just narrow down to what sells and not just look for quantity hoping something sticks.

I would agree with you if there was a correlation between making less games and making better games, but there's not. Eliminating the mid tier games Sony put out recently (starhawk, twisted metal, sly and so on) does not guarantee that Killzone, Uncharted or some new IP will be 50% better or sell better because of it.

I would agree with you if there was a correlation between making less games and making better games, but there's not. Eliminating the mid tier games Sony put out recently (starhawk, twisted metal, sly and so on) does not guarantee that Killzone, Uncharted or some new IP will be 50% better because of it.

It's more about their bottom line than metacritic. The best selling franchises don't necessarily mean best in the genre. All things remaining the same they're just losing more money this way. Some of their releases last year didn't seem to have any real demand (not what fans hype on forums) at all.

I would agree with you if there was a correlation between making less games and making better games, but there's not. Eliminating the mid tier games Sony put out recently (starhawk, twisted metal, sly and so on) does not guarantee that Killzone, Uncharted or some new IP will be 50% better or sell better because of it.

I'm sure that money spent on failed exclusives could have been better spent elsewhere. Instead they broke the studios and forced them to iOS development.

Derrick01

Banned
It's more about their bottom line than metacritic. The best selling franchises don't necessarily mean best in the genre. All things remaining the same they're just losing more money this way. Some of their releases last year didn't seem to have any real demand (not what fans hype on forums) at all.

I'm sure that money spent on failed exclusives could have been better spent elsewhere. Instead they broke the studios and forced them to iOS development.

There's no way to know really. They certainly didn't do themselves any favors by not marketing them at all in the US. Some of those studios would have ended up in ios anyway because they relied on contracts and no one else was giving them any.

You forgot Fable. Or perhaps you were trying to forget about it.

Well Fable is a trash RPG franchise from the very start but the last game that came out for it was a kinect game, so it doesn't fit in the 5 or 6 non kinect games they released in that time period.

Boss Man

Well we know Microsoft is going big on features, and the features that Sony showed on Wednesday blew me away. So yeah, I expect to be surprised at least in that aspect.

EagleEyes

I think both Sony and Microsoft's first party stuff has been great as of late.
I agree. Many on this forum love to exclude XBLA cause it doesn't fit their agenda but Microsoft's been on a roll with their Arcade output these last couple years.

MormaPope

Banned
There's no way to know really. They certainly didn't do themselves any favors by not marketing them at all in the US. Some of those studios would have ended up in ios anyway because they relied on contracts and no one else was giving them any.

Well Fable is a trash RPG franchise from the very start but the last game that came out for it was a kinect game, so it doesn't fit in the 5 or 6 non kinect games they released in that time period.

C'mon now, Fable 1 was pretty damn good at the time. Ever since then each Fable sequel got more odd and convoluted, a lot of people loved Fable 2 but I thought it was a huge step back in almost every way.

Fable use to have combat where you could actually die, the good ole days.

Takuya

Banned
I think it's crazy at this point to expect that with specs over a year old something hasn't changed at MS. Especially considering we know they've tightened up security since, and are even more likely to be cognizant of how much more RAM has helped in the past generation.

No it isn't considering the machine is due out this year and developers have been plugging at the architecture for years now on their -launch/launchwindow- games. Sony bumped up RAM to 8GB, they didn't change their hardware per se. If Microsoft makes any drastic changes to their machine it's back to zero for developers.

DocSeuss

You are wrong. Fable's just not an Obsidian-made RPG, and it has different goals. I get that those are the only RPGs you seem to like, but you consistently display almost a complete and total ignorance of what makes an RPG an RPG, and it is becoming exceedingly tiresome. Please stop.

Fable is all about role-play, and it does it in a unique and awesome way. It's not the best franchise--the execution can be lacking, but to argue that it's a "trash RPG franchise" really bugs me.

So would I. Too bad they were all Halos, Gears and Forzas :\

He's the one who implied the 5 they put out were all great.

Halos, Gears, and Forzas all happen to be great games. Halo 4's the only Halo that hasn't been an absolutely excellent game so far. Forza's the best racing franchise on the planet, and Gears of War 3 is the best cover-based shooter out there. If you feel there are better recent games than these in those respective genres, feel free to list them, and I'll contrast them and further explain my point of view.

Yes, he implied they were great, but basic critical analysis will support his thinking. You implied they weren't, and this line of thinking is incorrect.

I agree. Many on this forum love to exclude XBLA cause it doesn't fit their agenda but Microsoft's been on a roll with their Arcade output these last couple years.

While I'm not sure I'd go that far, yeah. It does feel like people completely forget XBLA's existence, which sucks, because XBLA is the best reason to own a video game console at all. LOVE the ability to try out absolutely anything. Without it, I would never have purchased as many XBLA games as I have.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
I made a post in a similar thread about why Microsoft shouldn't be judged or written off. They have been excellent for most of this generation but the past few years have only been just setting things on wanting to make sure that their next console can have the same kind of quality level of first party output as the other two gaming companies since that has been one of their biggest areas they lacked with the platform and Kinect and things was just something of extending its life cycle and extending to other audiences as the console become more cheaper and wanting the expand the audience and this is something that wouldn't have an affect to their core audience.

Microsoft has a lot of good heads over there in the gaming division still who know how important core gaming is to their platform and why it's their biggest factor to making their future console a success. I don't think they've sacrificed those values away at all, even if these past few years have been a bit low key on the big retail side and not having new IPs and releasing Kinect, I actually think they've played the most smartest way for their future. They lacked the infrastructure of multiple first party studios and relied on third party and Xbox Live as their way of ensuring dominance on the market while they looked at their flaws inside and resolve these. Rolling the past few years there are multiple new studios that have been built up and working on new IPs with a lot of talent that they were able to grab due to companies closing down and now has a strong and promising network for the future. If they can match similar hardware performance to the Playstation four to please developers and their own internal hardware heads then we're in for some interesting and exciting times. We all know what Microsoft is like when it comes to the first few years in a new console cycle. They are very competitive and money is not an issue to them for making sure they gain some interesting titles. Considering that the XBOX 360 was their only second console released and how they were able to obtain a huge amount of the home entrainment market with the other two and have built up a strong reputation is still mighty impressive given the other two pedigrees past as well. They've got a strong pipe line that can please all different kinds of audiences and can adapt to the changes that happen today, but core gaming is still an important core to the platform and they will not sacrifice or risk alienating that market by any means. They now know what works and what doesn't (rare for example) and have a lot of good talent and people to help keep it strong as it continues to go towards the future. Anything outside the core games to me that actually makes my home entertainment more better is just a great big bonus.

Sure they have the corporate American image that doesn't help perceive the companies image when it comes to some of the gaming community but I wouldn't even dare let that judge from what I have seen from their past efforts and what they have been up to in all areas and the people that still work there (Phill Spencer for example and all the excellent games has has brought and green-light to the platform with Xbox Live and a lot of second party titles and he's a very awesome and humble guy and has a lot of respect for Sony and Nintendo) just shows they shouldn't discarded.

Heck, if anything, I am very happy that the new generation is starting. All the new enhanced hardware is a great thing since it opens up for much better designs for gaming than being limited to designing titles based on this generations hardware specifications (ram for one thing and how that meant a lot of bloody corridors and small areas..) and it's nice that competition has brought out the best in everything. I'd rather have all three still in than any leaving the market because then there's the risk of quality being compromised and companies will become lazy.

DEADEVIL

The funny part is you always concentrate on Kinect games but turn a blind eye as to how many Move games that Sony released. in fact Sony actually released more Move games than MS released Kinect.

The difference is MS actually had success to include Rare releasing a 5 million seller.

So regardless of what people perceive of Microsofts exclusives. They leave the gen in comparison to Sony where MS had the number one selling exclusive every single year, the biggest sales for XBLA games, and the best selling motion control device since it launch to include games.

They go into next gen with those same strong IPs, New iPs incoming, and nothing shown by Nintendo or Sony suggest that Kinect won't still be the number one Motion control device out there.

I'd say that's a lot better place than they were when they were starting last gen.

Derrick01

Banned
C'mon now, Fable 1 was pretty damn good at the time. Ever since then each Fable sequel got more odd and convoluted, a lot of people loved Fable 2 but I thought it was a huge step back in almost every way.

Fable use to have combat where you could actually die, the good ole days.

1 is the best Fable game, but that doesn't mean much since it's still a terrible RPG. It's just way too casual for me to get really in to it.

DEADEVIL said:
The funny part is you always concentrate on Kinect games but turn a blind eye as to how many Move games that Sony released

Because they did not affect the amount of core games Sony put out in the last 3-4 years, so Move is a non factor to me. Kinect would have been the same had MS followed suit. It's really not hard to understand the concept.

Because they did not affect the amount of core games Sony put out in the last 3-4 years, so Move is a non factor to me.

So your one of those who think MS' core output has been lowered because of Kinect (i.e. Kinect is to blame for "losing the core gamer" etc.) There core output has been the same for a long time.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
They go into next gen with those same strong IPs, New iPs incoming, and nothing shown by Nintendo or Sony suggest that Kinect won't still be the number one Motion control device out there.

I'd say that's a lot better place than they were when they were starting last gen.

Kinect sales have pretty much dropped off a cliff, it pulled a Wii and was the "it" toy for one holiday season. Since then it has been a joke. Kinect Star Wars, Steel Battalions, Fable Journey, etc. I hope they improve it's usefulness next gen, or they will have to compete the old fashioned way, selling to real gamers and not fly by night casuals.

Derrick01

Banned
So your one of those who think MS' core output has been lowered because of Kinect (i.e. Kinect is to blame for "losing the core gamer" etc.) There core output has been the same for a long time.

It's been proven. Stuburns posted the list not long ago, the only non kinect retail exclusives they've had since kinect released are a mix of 5 or 6 halo/gears/forza games. I didn't make that up when I said it a few posts ago. That's definitely a lower output from before when they stuff like crackdown and Rare's games to go along with those other IPs.

Kinect sales have pretty much dropped off a cliff, it pulled a Wii and was the "it" toy for one holiday season. Since then it has been a joke. Kinect Star Wars, Steel Battalions, Fable Journey, etc. I hope they improve it's usefulness next gen, or they will have to compete the old fashioned way, selling to real gamers and not fly by night casuals.

What sort of adoption rate did you expect to see with a peripheral to a game console? I'd think that 18 million sold, or around one Kinect to every Xbox where the peripheral wasn't even available for half the life of the console is impressive.

Microsoft's output eclipsed Sony's last year in a huge way. But then again unlike Derrick, I acknowledge that downloadable games are games too. Doesnt fit with the whole Microsoft-bad, Sony-good vibe he's got going though. Sony's just now realizing that their steady output of mediocre games (which they themselves seem incapable of marketing) is getting them nowhere except further in debt, so they're cutting loose dying/dead franchises. At least they're moving in the right direction now.

Which makes it all the more hilarious that Sony is including a Kinect-like device with every single PS4 that ships. But we'll just ignore that part.

What sort of adoption rate did you expect to see with a peripheral to a game console? I'd think that 18 million sold, or around one Kinect to every Xbox where the peripheral wasn't even available for half the life of the console is impressive.

The adoption rate for the peripheral is incredibly high. So high that Sony felt the need to copy it on PS4. Unfortunately for Microsoft when the fad burst, it burst hard. No one is buying those Kinect-only games. Probably why you see rumors that games that used to be Kinect-only are now Better-with-Kinect titles.

Izick

Which feature personally blew you away?

Can't answer for him, but for me the ability to watch your friends play a game, and then swap the control over to you (kind of like when you would play SP games on the couch with friends as a kid) is absolutely genius and futuristic. So much so that I still find it hard to believe that they have that ready to go yet, or are even close to it.

If they do though...damn.

MormaPope

Banned
Microsoft's output eclipsed Sony's last year in a huge way. But then again unlike Derrick, I acknowledge that downloadable games are games too. Doesnt fit with the whole Microsoft-bad, Sony-good vibe he's got going though. Sony's just now realizing that their steady output of mediocre games (which they themselves seem incapable of marketing) is getting them nowhere except further in debt, so they're cutting loose dying/dead franchises. At least they're moving in the right direction now.

Which makes it all the more hilarious that Sony is including a Kinect-like device with every single PS4 that ships. But we'll just ignore that part

Haven't you heard? Sony hates appealing to casual and wider demographics, they only want to appeal to hardcore gamers that scoff and vomit whenever they see a new app get released on a console.

Sony will never attempt to match software support that Microsoft does with the Xbox ever, all the media stuff on the PS3 was a huge ruse to make hardcore gamers feel better about the PS4 being made just for them.

As for surprising people, I definitely think they're going to surprise a ton of people(in a bad way). I'm just basing it off a couple PMs I got from people who are in a position to know things about MS's plans. Let's just say SuperDaE's infantile tweets dismissing "no used games" and "always online" were bullshit and Kotaku was right to believe their other source.

Haven't you heard? Sony hates appealing to casual and wider demographics, they only want to appeal to hardcore gamers that scoff and vomit whenever they see a new app get released on a console.

Sony will never attempt to match software support that Microsoft does with the Xbox ever, all the media stuff on the PS3 was a huge ruse to make hardcore gamers feel better about the PS4 being made just for them.

All part of the fun. Sony says they're going to market directly to you and download games to your console that you didn't ask for.Cool feature, right? Imagine if Microsoft said that first. Shitstorm. How dare they! I have no doubt they'll do it too. I have that feature on my DVR, and I disable it. Directv did a shitty job of determining what I like, but seemed to do a good job of picking shows they were paid to push on me.

Top Bottom