• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I think the next Mario game will be a lego game

Scotty W

Banned
I think most of us were pleasantly surprised by the Nintendo/Lego partnership which was announced a few months back resulting in this:

The question I want to ask is “Why now?”

The first possible answer is that they never realized what a good idea a Super Mario Lego set would be until 2020.

The second possible answer is that these Lego sets are simply the first products from a deeper partnership, and that in terms of where the Mario series is in its historical development, it Super Mario Lego makes perfect sense as the next Mario game.

We know from interviews and from history the importance Shigeru Miyamoto places on crafting fundamentally new gaming experiences within the context of familiar franchises.

-Mario 64 basically invents the 3d platformer.
-Sunshine, the least innovative game here, designs a game around a water mechanic.
-Galaxy 1&2 destroy the idea of flat surfaces.
-3d Land and World perfect the camera and master a pseudo 2.5d environment.
-Odyssey destroys the idea that Mario is a person. Mario can become anything.

There is an interesting release here that shows Nintendo has at least looked at the idea of putting Mario in a Lego like environment:

It is easy to overlook the Mario Maker games as being outside the cannon, but in a sense they provide Nintendo with a challenge: how do you follow that up? Both in the sense of making a new Mario Maker game, and of actually making a game that can
be interesting to people when there are millions of levels freely available online.

Ok to sum up: The principle of gamers creating content is part of the Mario universe; Galaxy abolished gravity and flat surfaces, Odyssey allows Mario to become almost anything.

There is nowhere for Mario to go except by making him into atoms. And coincidentally Nintendo has entered a business partnership with Lego.

Mario in a LEGO world would be cool. I think it's a natural progression from Mario Minecraft, except this time Nintendo would coordinate with LEGO for the toy line, the amusement rides, etc.

The other benefit is that LEGO has a good sense of humor in their game / movie content, so if they riff on Mario's history, that would be great. I bet we would see at least one Mario LEGO movie, even if it was straight to streaming / straight to blu ray.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
I'd love to see a Lego Mario game, but they would have to expand on the formula a bit. As much as I love the earlier Lego games, they sure are getting stale.

jigglet

Banned
I think about 5 years ago Iwata said he wanted to start expanding beyond games and doing more with the IP. Nintendo is slow as fuck. So 5 years sounds about right for this lego to be hitting now (same with the themepark). I think it's just coincidental.

Scotty W

Banned
I'd love to see a Lego Mario game, but they would have to expand on the formula a bit. As much as I love the earlier Lego games, they sure are getting stale.
Presumably the game would be done by the team that did Galaxy et al. I am confident they can come up with a few original idea.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I wouldn't mind see Mario game made with the style of 3D dot game Heroes.
3ddotgameheroes.jpg

Scotty W

Banned
We've changed subjects, but I loved 3D Dot Game Heroes. It's weird to think this is what FromSoft did in between Demon's Souls and Dark Souls.
Maybe they could do a Lego Zelda game for the Switch, or even better, the Wii U which is what I have.

Top Bottom