• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lego Horizon Adventures is on Switch because Playstation Studio’s Guerrilla Games wanted the game to reach more people

So basically, you're a 3rd Party Publisher. And we got Hulst out here saying that he's using tentpole titles to convince PC gamers to buy a PS5, that's basically gaslighting at this point.

They have been for a long time. They've been publishing on PC and PS5 for years now.

Roxkis_ii

Lego game does multiplatform release like all other Lego games before it.

Xbox fans: OMG, SONY IS NOW DOING DAY AND DATE ON PC! Omg they release on the switch, It's only a matter time they release games on Xbox too!!

It also funny watching Xbox fans forget what collaboration mean.

Silly Xbox fans.

Sounds a lot like ms rhetoric.

These guys don’t realize that exclusives are the reason they get to spend $200 million on games.

Sounds a lot? It's the exact same.

Switch players will quickly realize "Wow, this series is boring as fuck!"

Guess HFW was too hard for you if you need real reaction times huh? 😆

Probably one reason is because XBOX is in more direct competition with PlayStation. Second, Games typically don’t well on XBox and imo something like this really wouldn’t sell on XBox due to its kid/family friendly appearance. For example, I know Hellblade 2 is on Gamepass, but only selling 25,000 copies for a reasonably anticipated and hyped game is absolutely absurd. Tekken 8 and SF6 aren’t on Gamepass and I heard even those high profile had very underwhelming sales as well.

Hellblade 2 would have tepid sales no matter what system it's on; the game itself is just not worth a purchase from the vast majority. SF6 and T8 are Japanese games; despite crying from people like Jez and other lame Western games media, Japanese devs don't prioritize Xbox not because of some nationalistic pride or xenophobia to an "American" brand, but because they know those types of games don't sell very well on Xbox compared to PlayStation and Nintendo. They have 2+ decades of their own sales data to prove it.

LEGO Horizon is neither of those cases, and considering SIE are fine with Microsoft porting a ton more of their games to PS5 systems (knowing that helps MS build their gaming brand among PlayStation customers), I strongly doubt they see Xbox as a real competitor anymore BTS. Especially considering, the sales of Xbox consoles have been lukewarm for over a year now. IMO this idea Sony see Xbox as a true competitor anymore (direct or otherwise) is mostly theatrics. LEGO Horizon not going to Xbox is more out of playing up an image of competition at least for a while until the diehards are weened off of it.

Same reason why Microsoft hasn't gone Day 1 on PlayStation/Switch for all their new releases (yet).

Last edited:
Yeah, if Xbox was not PlayStation's direct competition, it would completely make sense to port it over. From a hardware perspective, Xbox may be nothing more than a niche console in a couple years. I don't know why Playstation would port over HD2, their biggest exclusive this generation, for short term profits. It seems quite clear with the new Lego game, Playstation doesn't want to give up an inch to Xbox

Playstation has no choice with Bungie. Bungie operates and publishes separately from Playstation. That was agreed upon Sony purchasing them

This is largely a fiction. Bungie is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Interactive Entertainment. They can at any time fire the board and the CEO.

There is nothing legally preventing this.

Like I said, I'm not convinced that they aren't fully into the idea of denying Xbox every chance they get.

And I'm pretty sure you're wrong about Bungie. Bungie wanted control over what they make and where they put it. They have a level of autonomy. They actually publish their own games. As long as they reach financial goals that satisfy the clause, they get to keep operating at a level of independence.

See above.

I don't think Astrobot is about selling tons of copies. It probably didn't cost that much to make as it is. It's not a tentpole franchise. It very much falls into that "Experimental" category as LEGO Horizon does. Yet here we are. No Switch version. No PC version.

Everything they do is about selling copies.

Could they do that later? Possibly. But I also think Sony is fine to just have games on their platform that don't go anywhere else. Also have to consider the possibility that Nintendo wouldn't want it on their platform, seeing as how it is so obviously a PlayStation nostalgia game. I doubt they'd want a game that is basically screaming "PLAY PLAYSTATION"!

It doesn't work like that.

This is largely a fiction. Bungie is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Interactive Entertainment. They can at any time fire the board and the CEO.

It's definitely not that easy

Though Sony execs have a good share of control over the board, the majority is currently controlled by Bungie representatives. However, that split structure of the board has reportedly been contingent on the studio reaching financial results, and that's at least partially why Bungie leadership decided to layoff more than 100 employees in October - an attempt to improve revenue figures to stave off the point at which Sony would be legally able to dissolve the board and assume full control of Bungie.

https://www.gamesradar.com/as-desti...ny-takeover-if-it-doesnt-hit-financial-goals/

I was expecting an open world collect-a-thon like a lot of the other lego games.
I'm actually somewhat interested in this. I wanna know how it is solo though. Don't wanna do co-op.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
How is it physically impossible?

As I said previously, Ratchet and Clank a native PS5 game with gorgeous graphics also runs on Steamdeck

It's also a game that was made and finished within one year of the PS5's release. Will GTA6 run on the Steamdeck?

Varteras

Gold Member

Unless you have the specific details of the agreement which shows otherwise, that could absolutely put Sony in a legal situation. A company that wants autonomy after purchase would want assurances in place for legal recourse if its autonomy is violated despite living up to its agreements.

See above.

Everything they do is about selling copies.

It doesn't work like that.

If their be-all, end-all is selling copies, where is Helldivers 2 on Xbox? Why isn't Concord on Xbox? Why isn't LEGO Horizon on Xbox? Why isn't Astrobot on PC or Switch right out of the gate? Seems to me there is more to their thinking than that. And, yeah, it can work like that.

mckmas8808

This would RUIN their relationship with Bungie though. How can you not understand this? Do you understand how business works? If they are doing the bolded, then something has went horribly wrong with Bungie.

StueyDuck

It's a Lego games for kids... not sure why people are getting all worked up over this even if you are a console warrior.

Dorago

Destroying brand identity for short term profit is easier than creating video games people who by your system actually want to play.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
"We at Sony at anytime we like can invade the Lego HQ and take any IP owned by Lego and use it as we see fit and Lego can not do anything about it"

That works too bro
Which is just as likely as the scenario I posed when reality is its a joint effort that both parties are happy with the whole "wanted to reach more people" statement I find very interesting

The Nintendo audience isn't going to migrate to PS4/5 for this game, they already have 2 Zeldas with arguably superior mechanics:

I understand that Sony is trying many different strategies to expand their reach, but most of these experiments are not well-thought (including most of their GaaS games).

They should focus on their most loyal target group, people who stuck with Sony during the hardships of the PS3 era.

Everyone else is ephemeral audience that may or may not be with Sony in the future.

tmlDan

The Nintendo audience isn't going to migrate to PS4/5 for this game, they already have 2 Zeldas with arguably superior mechanics:

I understand that Sony is trying many different strategies to expand their reach, but most of these experiments are not well-thought (including most of their GaaS games).

They should focus on their most loyal target group, people who stuck with Sony during the hardships of the PS3 era.

Everyone else is ephemeral audience that may or may not be with Sony in the future.

what are you even talking about, god some of you are so thick headed but i dont expect much from you given your allegiances.

You cannot grow a brand by focusing on your core alone, that is stupid.

Topher

Gold Member
Which is just as likely as the scenario I posed when reality is its a joint effort that both parties are happy with the whole "wanted to reach more people" statement I find very interesting

Sure...but I think it is a fairly obvious thing to say. I'd love to be a fly on the wall in the meeting where this was discussed. Seems clear to me that Lego would generally always be in favor of their IP hitting as many platforms as possible. I wouldn't be surprised if they pitched including Xbox as well. But Switch, with its 117+ million install base more than likely wasn't a hard sell. Lego could probably just send out a spreadsheet showing unit sales for past titles and get Sony execs onboard.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Sure...but I think it is a fairly obvious thing to say. I'd love to be a fly on the wall in the meeting where this was discussed. Seems clear to me that Lego would generally always be in favor of their IP hitting as many platforms as possible. I wouldn't be surprised if they pitched including Xbox as well. But Switch, with its 117+ million install base more than likely wasn't a hard sell. Lego could probably just send out a spreadsheet showing unit sales for past titles and get Sony execs onboard.
Oh I 100% agree with you as I too would love to have been in on that meeting

I only made my original statement because of the whole "Its a Lego game, Sony had no choice" which is just silly.

Plus you bring up those huge numbers that now have access to this game and shareholders love profit

Smackdown Live What GIF by WWE

Definitely surprising seeing this in Nintendo but I wonder if Lego had some agreement with it to make it multiplatform. Nintendo would be the lesser of the two between Microsoft when it comes to competitors for Sony. Plus this being for a young audience game, it will do well on Nintendo.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Sounds a lot? It's the exact same.

Guess HFW was too hard for you if you need real reaction times huh? 😆

Hellblade 2 would have tepid sales no matter what system it's on; the game itself is just not worth a purchase from the vast majority. SF6 and T8 are Japanese games; despite crying from people like Jez and other lame Western games media, Japanese devs don't prioritize Xbox not because of some nationalistic pride or xenophobia to an "American" brand, but because they know those types of games don't sell very well on Xbox compared to PlayStation and Nintendo. They have 2+ decades of their own sales data to prove it.

LEGO Horizon is neither of those cases, and considering SIE are fine with Microsoft porting a ton more of their games to PS5 systems (knowing that helps MS build their gaming brand among PlayStation customers), I strongly doubt they see Xbox as a real competitor anymore BTS. Especially considering, the sales of Xbox consoles have been lukewarm for over a year now. IMO this idea Sony see Xbox as a true competitor anymore (direct or otherwise) is mostly theatrics. LEGO Horizon not going to Xbox is more out of playing up an image of competition at least for a while until the diehards are weened off of it.

Same reason why Microsoft hasn't gone Day 1 on PlayStation/Switch for all their new releases (yet).
What Are You Talking About Harrison Ford GIF by Star Wars

It's definitely not that easy

Though Sony execs have a good share of control over the board, the majority is currently controlled by Bungie representatives. However, that split structure of the board has reportedly been contingent on the studio reaching financial results, and that's at least partially why Bungie leadership decided to layoff more than 100 employees in October - an attempt to improve revenue figures to stave off the point at which Sony would be legally able to dissolve the board and assume full control of Bungie.

https://www.gamesradar.com/as-desti...ny-takeover-if-it-doesnt-hit-financial-goals/

That's just a specific avenue for the dissolution of the board. That doesn't mean it's limited to that.

They own 100% of Bungie. They can remove board members as a result.

This would RUIN their relationship with Bungie though. How can you not understand this? Do you understand how business works? If they are doing the bolded, then something has went horribly wrong with Bungie.

It works both ways. If Sony has to step in and takeover, as you said something has gone wrong.

My point is that Sony has the power to do it, not that they would.

fudgybrownie

Neo Member
They definitely okay with trying to reach a younger audience with the kiddos. If the game sells crazy good on Switch and gets more Lego sets I wonder if Sony goes crazy with Horizon IP. Probably make an animated TV show for kids to go along with the future Netflix one and the rumored MMO and Zero Dawn remake?

Unless you have the specific details of the agreement which shows otherwise, that could absolutely put Sony in a legal situation. A company that wants autonomy after purchase would want assurances in place for legal recourse if its autonomy is violated despite living up to its agreements.

What you're referring to is bylaws and of course we're not going to be familiar with specific bylaws, but ultimately power is going to rest with SIE. We've already seen them hire one of the board of directors into SIE directly. We don't know if they're still on the board or if a replacement was made.

If their be-all, end-all is selling copies, where is Helldivers 2 on Xbox? Why isn't Concord on Xbox? Why isn't LEGO Horizon on Xbox? Why isn't Astrobot on PC or Switch right out of the gate? Seems to me there is more to their thinking than that. And, yeah, it can work like that.

As I said, I wouldn't be surprised if Helldivers gets ported to Xbox at some point.

One of the worst arguments people can make is X hasn't happened so it won't happen.

Helldivers was in development for 8 years, well before Sony even considered Xbox.

Why isn't Concord on Xbox? Is Concord successful yet? Would an Xbox port have been worth the trouble? Lego Horizon certainly wouldn't sell well on Xbox.

Why isn't TLOU P2 on PC? Cause work has to be done to port it... again, this is ultimately a lazy argument.

No they can't. As far as i know, Bungie would need to miss their revenue targets for that to happen (and by quite a big margin). Sony can't just fire the board like that.

Varteras

Gold Member
What you're referring to is bylaws and of course we're not going to be familiar with specific bylaws, but ultimately power is going to rest with SIE. We've already seen them hire one of the board of directors into SIE directly. We don't know if they're still on the board or if a replacement was made.

As I said, I wouldn't be surprised if Helldivers gets ported to Xbox at some point.

One of the worst arguments people can make is X hasn't happened so it won't happen.

Helldivers was in development for 8 years, well before Sony even considered Xbox.

Why isn't Concord on Xbox? Is Concord successful yet? Would an Xbox port have been worth the trouble? Lego Horizon certainly wouldn't sell well on Xbox.

Why isn't TLOU P2 on PC? Cause work has to be done to port it... again, this is ultimately a lazy argument.

The reality is that agreements can be made prior to acquisition that give a company legal recourse in the event their autonomy is violated, if that was what they wanted. A little over 10 years ago, I used to go drinking with a CFO who told me about acquisitions his company attempted. One didn't go through because the company wanted stipulations in place that said they could separate from the parent company if their independence was encroached. I'm not saying Bungie has that in place, but we also don't know what exactly is there. So, depending on what is there, Sony breaching that could hold serious ramifications. It's also incredibly damaging to a business relationship to take that step. Especially with a company with a clear desire to be independent. Like Bungie.

You make such a simplistic statement as "it's all about selling as many copies" and then call my rebuttal lazy? Dude, get over yourself.

onQ123

You can't be serious. :-/

I think you underestimate what a good Live Service game can do for a console.
Not at all but I know that it's not the type of game that should be anchored to PS5.

Helldivers becoming a Fortnite or Call Of Duty is way more important than moving a few more PS5 consoles.

mckmas8808

Not at all but I know that it's not the type of game that should be anchored to PS5.

Helldivers becoming a Fortnite or Call Of Duty is way more important than moving a few more PS5 consoles.

I think they want a game like Concord to be that. Not Helldivers 2. But either way, the timing is horrible for Sony to throw MS a lifeline. You gotta kill the opps and take their marketshare first.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I think they want a game like Concord to be that. Not Helldivers 2. But either way, the timing is horrible for Sony to throw MS a lifeline. You gotta kill the opps and take their marketshare first.
They are throwing MS a lifeline by allowing them to sell once MS exclusive games to PS players no?

Want to kill them don't let them make that extra revenue

onQ123

I said if games were selling on Xbox.

Software not selling on Xbox is the reason that this Lego game & stuff like Helldivers are not being ported to Xbox right now.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
They are throwing MS a lifeline by allowing them to sell once MS exclusive games to PS players no?

I don't think the goal is to kill the competition as opposed to self preservation. Let them become a 3rd party publisher. Harder to walk that one back in the eyes of business, regulation, anti-trust, etc., once they completely open Pandora's Box. That would be raising the E.E.E. ever so blatantly, if so.

Business chess, after all.

Last edited:

onQ123

Buying Activision King gave them leverage in that situation ( Fanboys thought they was buying it for Xbox Consoles when it was really the opposite)

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I don't think the goal is to kill the competition as opposed to self preservation. Let them become a 3rd party publisher. Harder to walk that one back in the eyes of business, regulation, anti-trust, etc., once they completely open Pandora's Box. That would be raising the E.E.E. ever so blatantly, if so.

Business chess, after all.
A lot of PS players putting money on the MS books to help subsidize the nextbox by buying older MS games right now
Buying Activision King gave them leverage in that situation ( Fanboys thought they was buying it for Xbox Consoles when it was really the opposite)
They bought ABK just to make money and if putting games like COD on gamepass remotely moves the needle towards their consoles thats just bonus

But Gaf experts told me that it was a Lego decision…. 🤔

James Sawyer Ford James Sawyer Ford we're gonna need an explanation bud 😅

A lot of PS players putting money on the MS books to help subsidize the nextbox by buying older MS games right now

Which makes the idea SIE still view Xbox as a (true) competitor seem flawed. In turn, why LEGO Horizon skipping Xbox looks flawed, or why Helldivers 2 not on Xbox could be argued as similarly flawed. I mean that's a GAAS; GAAS aren't considered tentpole games and SIE have said it's the tentpole games that'll drive people to buy PlayStations, right?

These are the questions that can legitimately be asked now going forward and it's all because (IMO) SIE have completely muddied their own optics and clear-cut message with a constantly-evolving (in bringing non-PS platforms closer to parity with PS consoles) multiplatform strategy. They've invited this mess.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

They bought ABK just to make money and if putting games like COD on gamepass remotely moves the needle towards their consoles thats just bonus
If MS decides to to shut down all the games they opened up to third party for the "next box," that is going to raise a ton of eyebrows in the business world. Politically and consumer level.

It's self-preservation for both companies.

Last edited:

onQ123

Codeword for "kids who play Lego games don't own a PS5", and of course they don't, that thing never has a price drop under 500.
You would be surprised at how many kids who don't really care about PS5 & Xbox Series actually own them because parents just be buying them stuff lol.

They have these consoles but be stuck on their tablets .

1st time I seen a Portal in the wild the guy had it at work loving it but he said he bought it for his 6 year old but the kid only cared about his tablet so he use it at work now.

The industry really has to adjust for the generations coming.

onQ123

James Sawyer Ford James Sawyer Ford we're gonna need an explanation bud 😅

Which makes the idea SIE still view Xbox as a (true) competitor seem flawed. In turn, why LEGO Horizon skipping Xbox looks flawed, or why Helldivers 2 not on Xbox could be argued as similarly flawed. I mean that's a GAAS; GAAS aren't considered tentpole games and SIE have said it's the tentpole games that'll drive people to buy PlayStations, right?

These are the questions that can legitimately be asked now going forward and it's all because (IMO) SIE have completely muddied their own optics and clear-cut message with a constantly-evolving (in bringing non-PS platforms closer to parity with PS consoles) multiplatform strategy. They've invited this mess.
ROI

You would be surprised at how many kids who don't really care about PS5 & Xbox Series actually own them because parents just be buying them stuff lol.

They have these consoles but be stuck on their tablets .

1st time I seen a Portal in the wild the guy had it at work loving it but he said he bought it for his 6 year old but the kid only cared about his tablet so he use it at work now.

The industry really has to adjust for the generations coming.
We need drastic measures:

Parents should ban tablet/smartphone usage.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
We need drastic measures:

Parents should ban tablet/smartphone usage.

No use of Social Media until 18.
Phones should only be able to send text, calls, and photos. No access to apps or internet outside of specific apps like Google Maps.
Tablets should be banned entirely for anyone under the age of 18, unless specifically set up/designed for school/learning use (such as using apple pencil with an iPad for notes).

Drastic measures would be something like:

Anyone who uses Tiktok should be castrated. Prevent the gene pool from being polluted any further with their idiocy.

Top Bottom