• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lego Horizon Adventures is on Switch because Playstation Studio’s Guerrilla Games wanted the game to reach more people

But at what long-term cost?

Might have something to do with the 30 million gamers currently playing games on thier xboxes, but hey, your right, no reason.

26.7 million. Also might not represent number of active XBS users; some people have multiple systems and collector's models they probably don't touch.

Would be somewhat similar with PS5, but to a much lesser degree (for one, there aren't that many special edition PS5s out to buy).

Last edited:

THE DUCK

Banned
But at what long-term cost?

26.7 million. Also might not represent number of active XBS users; some people have multiple systems and collector's models they probably don't touch.

Would be somewhat similar with PS5, but to a much lesser degree (for one, there aren't that many special edition PS5s out to buy).

Only if they sold zero consoles since Feb.
Yes there are us die hards that own extras, but most people just have one xbox. And some that own ps5 systems in addition.

Still the notion is valid, there is a group of millions of xbox owners that probably don't own anything else, and that's why a port may be worthwhile. It might be different if the architecture of modern systems were drastically different, then it might not bet worth the cost. As it stands, minimal cost and trouble.

Fredrik

Still the notion is valid, there is a group of millions of xbox owners that probably don't own anything else, and that's why a port may be worthwhile. It might be different if the architecture of modern systems were drastically different, then it might not bet worth the cost. As it stands, minimal cost and trouble.
Don’t know about LEGO Horizon but in general if Sony really want to convert gamers to PS5, through ports and sequels on tentpole releases, then they should absolutely port to Xbox. That could actually work. It’s the same type of customer.

But this plan to convert PC gamers to console gamers is dumb, it’s never going to work.

Switch to PS5 isn’t going to work either but if they just want extra sales for a kids friendly game then it’s a clever move.

I just don’t know if the Horizon IP is well-known among kids.

They should’ve removed human kills in Forbidden West and dropped the age rating to 12. Would’ve been the ultimate kids game. Dinosaurs and robots. Perfection 👌

THE DUCK

Banned
Don’t know about LEGO Horizon but in general if Sony really want to convert gamers to PS5, through ports and sequels on tentpole releases, then they should absolutely port to Xbox. That could actually work. It’s the same type of customer.

But this plan to convert PC gamers to console gamers is dumb, it’s never going to work.

Switch to PS5 isn’t going to work either but if they just want extra sales for a kids friendly game then it’s a clever move.

I just don’t know if the Horizon IP is well-known among kids.

They should’ve removed human kills in Forbidden West and dropped the age rating to 12. Would’ve been the ultimate kids game. Dinosaurs and robots. Perfection 👌

Might work if they think MS has thrown in the white flag, not so sure about that yet completely. Though like people say, who knows what we might be moving towards. Would be a crazy world if all of the sudden there was just hardware and all games were on everything.
I agree the plan to convert PC to console, they like what they play on and aren't likely to change.
Switch ya, likely just for sales and probably doesn't convert anyone. I actaully think that half the switch owners could care less what they play on, they just want some good games in a portable. That's why some competition in the area would be interesting.
I also agree on the Horizon, maybe just an excuse to make another lego game without having to come up with original ideas.

CamHostage

Sure...but I think it is a fairly obvious thing to say. I'd love to be a fly on the wall in the meeting where this was discussed... Switch, with its 117+ million install base more than likely wasn't a hard sell. Lego could probably just send out a spreadsheet showing unit sales for past titles and get Sony execs onboard.

It would be interesting, and it's frustrating that we'll probably never get the official story of how this worked out.

...What's intriguing to me is that it seems this was a Guerrilla project which they partnered with LEGO for, and Sony-proper seems to just be along for the ride as owners.

Yes, Sony is publishing the PS5 version (we have yet to see credits on PC or Switch, ) but Sony isn't even named once in the official press release; it reads that, "LEGO Group announced the brand-new action adventure game LEGO Horizon Adventures" despite the Sony branding on the trailer. Guerrilla is also repping PR for the game.

(The Steamforged Games tabletop games were handled a bit similarly, although toys and board games have their own PR methods usually and this is a videogame.)

I can only make an educated guess, but it would make sense that Guerrilla worked its ongoing relationship with LEGO to build a pitch package for the game, somehow Switch got added into the mix (who knows whether Xbox was talked about or not in that brainstorm, maybe they always knew it just was moot to discuss,) and then when the proposal came to Sony fully formed, they dug it even with the unusual platform plan.

Last edited:

Angry_Megalodon

Gold Member
The shareholders.

The guy is a financial leader. He doesnt care about the game side of business, but return of invesment. So brand value is nothing, if it doesnt bring the money for shareholders.

The only reason why Nintendo has such a strong position is brand value. Short-sighted execs like MS's and Sony's may prioritize their bonus over the company's long-term sustainability but that's 100% a wrong decision.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Might work if they think MS has thrown in the white flag, not so sure about that yet completely. Though like people say, who knows what we might be moving towards. Would be a crazy world if all of the sudden there was just hardware and all games were on everything.
I agree the plan to convert PC to console, they like what they play on and aren't likely to change.
Switch ya, likely just for sales and probably doesn't convert anyone. I actaully think that half the switch owners could care less what they play on, they just want some good games in a portable. That's why some competition in the area would be interesting.
I also agree on the Horizon, maybe just an excuse to make another lego game without having to come up with original ideas.

So what will PC gamers do when NCAA college football drops next month? And what will they do when GTA 6 comes out fall of 2025?

XXL

Herman is really using his position as a ceo to try to promote this unpopular character he created lmao.
Horizon as a series has sold over 33M copies with 2 games and a VR game.

Its now getting a Lego game that will also probably sell a ton.

For comparison - The Gears of War series has sold around 41M copies over 7 games.

You guys need to step out of forum realities every once and a while.

If you don't like the character, that's fine, but in no world is Horizon unpopular.

The number of people ignoring how massively popular Horizon is and the mass appeal of lego is just weird.
Meme Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

Last edited:

Fake

Horizon as a series has sold over 33M copies with 2 games and a VR game.

And? Great argument against his position as a ceo to promote a character he created. We could put GoW creator as a ceo and see how this fairs. Good luck defending that.

Maybe if he send a letter to Nintendo they can put Aloy at Smash. Maybe even Mario Kart.

XXL

And? Great argument against his position as a ceo to promote a character he created. We could put GoW creator as a ceo and see how this fairs. Good luck defending that.

Maybe if he send a letter to Nintendo they can put Aloy at Smash. Maybe even Mario Kart.
None of this has anything to do with anything I said.

Again, I don't give a shit if you like Horizon or not. But saying it's not popular, is complete and utter bullshit.

The reality is, it's one of the most successful new IP (on console specifically) in recent memory and that probably has alot to do with why they're doing a Lego version of it.

Robb

Gold Member
At this rate maybe the only system I will need in 20 years is a Nintendo console and I’ll be able to play every exclusive available on every system.
happy time GIF

Last edited:

King Dazzar

Might have something to do with the 30 million gamers currently playing games on thier xboxes, but hey, your right, no reason.
I would have thought they currently see Xbox as not only their competitor in platform type (i.e not handheld like Switch), but also a user base that prefers to rent games rather than buy.

mckmas8808

You just ruined my day. That is some bullshit. I just verified that this isn't being released on PC.

Sorry man lol. But yeah, some PC gamers will have to make a choice on which console they want to buy between this summer and Fall 2025.

mckmas8808

@James Sawyer Ford we're gonna need an explanation bud 😅

Which makes the idea SIE still view Xbox as a (true) competitor seem flawed. In turn, why LEGO Horizon skipping Xbox looks flawed, or why Helldivers 2 not on Xbox could be argued as similarly flawed. I mean that's a GAAS; GAAS aren't considered tentpole games and SIE have said it's the tentpole games that'll drive people to buy PlayStations, right?

These are the questions that can legitimately be asked now going forward and it's all because (IMO) SIE have completely muddied their own optics and clear-cut message with a constantly-evolving (in bringing non-PS platforms closer to parity with PS consoles) multiplatform strategy. They've invited this mess.

I think the best thing Sony tends to do is not make super hard line mandates. They typically leave things up to devs on occasion. That doesn't work in all instances, but it's better than drawing up hard lines and then tripping up over that line when it gets in the way.

The industry is evolving so Sony is smart to evolve with it. But with a measured approach. Right now would be the worst time to share their 1st party games with Xbox. They just shouldn't do it! Let Xbox (the brand) die. Allow them to go mostly 3rd party. And in the meantime keep taking their market share.

Kikorin

Truth is just that this is going probably to sell more copies on Switch than PS5/PC, I think is as simple as that. They should have some benchmarks of the split sales of other multiplatform LEGO games that prove this genius theory.

I think the best thing Sony tends to do is not make super hard line mandates. They typically leave things up to devs on occasion. That doesn't work in all instances, but it's better than drawing up hard lines and then tripping up over that line when it gets in the way.

The industry is evolving so Sony is smart to evolve with it. But with a measured approach. Right now would be the worst time to share their 1st party games with Xbox. They just shouldn't do it! Let Xbox (the brand) die. Allow them to go mostly 3rd party. And in the meantime keep taking their market share.

But the thing is Sony are already sharing some 1P games with Xbox! MBL The Show, Destiny 2...Marathon in the future. Yeah, those are all GAAS, but they're still on Xbox. So it does bring up questions why something like Helldivers 2 doesn't have an Xbox version, even if Phil only mentioned that to drum up more BS against exclusivity in gaming (because that's convenient for Microsoft).

Yes the industry's evolving, and Sony has to adapt with it. But I think they've could've done a better job at it than they have. They could have better approached it so that these questions regarding value proposition to their own console, never entered the picture. Sony took the easy path and now the muddiness around their messaging with platforms surrounding their games is the price being paid for that.

mckmas8808

But the thing is Sony are already sharing some 1P games with Xbox! MBL The Show, Destiny 2...Marathon in the future. Yeah, those are all GAAS, but they're still on Xbox. So it does bring up questions why something like Helldivers 2 doesn't have an Xbox version, even if Phil only mentioned that to drum up more BS against exclusivity in gaming (because that's convenient for Microsoft).

Yes the industry's evolving, and Sony has to adapt with it. But I think they've could've done a better job at it than they have. They could have better approached it so that these questions regarding value proposition to their own console, never entered the picture. Sony took the easy path and now the muddiness around their messaging with platforms surrounding their games is the price being paid for that.

Because the MLB The Show, Destiny, and Marathon weren't in their control. HD2 was. It's really that simple.

Woopah

When your "enemy" is slowly destroying themselves, why start throwing them lifelines? I mean, the Xbox brand is basically using PS5 as a lifeline themselves. Which Sony doesn't care about because they are making free money off of it, and it looks embarrassing on Xbox's part. But, they sure as hell aren't going to throw any personal lifelines over to them.

Sony is now in a partnership with Lego and both see this Lego game to be a perfect experiment releasing on the Switch, something they are obviously not directly competing with. We can see that by both the Switch and the PS4/5 both selling perfectly fine with the other on the market. Nintendo currently has the handheld market on lock, while Sony has the home console market.
Its a little bit different than that as the Switch also competes in the home console market, albeit with a different value proposition.
The Switch audience couldn't be less interested in the Horizon IP, it's the opposite of what they like. Gravity Rush would have been better if Sony hadn't killed it off.
I don't see Horizon being that different to Monster Hunter Rise or Breath of the Wild.
Do Switch players buy anything other than Nintendo made games?
More than 50% of ganes sold on Switch are from third parties. So yes.

A fair question, considering the popularity of gta alone.

They'll be too busy playing stuff like Banana to even notice GTA6 is missing.

The shareholders.

The guy is a financial leader. He doesnt care about the game side of business, but return of invesment. So brand value is nothing, if it doesnt bring the money for shareholders.

They will be the death of PlayStation's (proverbial) spirit. Sony needs to stop listening to the shareholders so much, or start looking for better-minded ones. Simple as that.

THE DUCK

Banned
They'll be too busy playing stuff like Banana to even notice GTA6 is missing.

They will be the death of PlayStation's (proverbial) spirit. Sony needs to stop listening to the shareholders so much, or start looking for better-minded ones. Simple as that.

I'm waiting for the banana sequel before I step in and get serious about my
5pMb7XV.jpeg
clicks.

CamHostage

Small note: "PlayStation Publishing LLC" is indeed handling the Switch and I assume PC versions of the game. This is the brand that puts out the PC games already; it used to be called "PlayStation PC", and before that it was the office of PlayStation Mobile.

NUfffIJ.png

Switch trailer can be found in this thread:

Below is a conversation from another LEGO Horizon thread that I'm transposing here to avoid cluttering up the conversation there...
PlayStation Publishing is the label, eh? I had guessed that LEGO itself would have done the off-PS releases but Sony's all-in on the cross-platform release here (except for no online crossing.)
Yeah, that is the more surprising part IMO...
I'm trying to remember...did SCEA or the other SCE branches back in the day directly handle publishing of games like Wipeout and Destruction Derby on N64/Saturn/Windows/DOS?
Psygnosis, of course, they were also a separate publisher on PS1. Wipeout and Destruction Derby were directly published by SCE only in Japan, due to Psygnosis not having any Japanese office (and they didn't need one, anyway).

In the US, Wipeout 64 was published by Midway, and DD64 was done by Midway; Krazy Ivan and other games (including Wipeout 2097/XL, came through Psygnosis but did not get a US release.

(I was also curious about the Rareware game on GBA after Microsoft, i thought they did Mr Pants themselves but turns out all were by THQ.)

Publishing rights get passed around. (I remember in the PS2 era that SCE Europe games like Airblade and another Wipeout got turned down by SCEA and came out by other means. ) I've never seen the breakdown as far as how the money works out, but rarely do publishers include these in their portfolios.

These days, either way, the idea of "publisher" is such a nebulous term and seems to matter more in logistics and legalities if there's no physical copy to distribute. You or I could be a publisher if we had the money to get some Unreal hacked-out thing past licensing approval.

I also don't think LEGO has a video game publishing business.

Eh, LEGO makes brands for itself whenever it needs to. Builder's Journey and Lego Brawls are by "LEGO System".

Assuming this is a physical release product, a real publisher matters a bit more, but LEGO has people who can put product out, and all the rating and approval stuff will be handled by Sony anyway.

"PlayStation Publishing" is the name on the Steam games; I read that it was originally the PlayStation Mobile group, (although PS Mobile still lists on the apps,) and it's I assume the LLC brand they'll use for pretty much all non-PS releases.

(Xbox was cagey about using its name in cross-plat games, and they still list Sea of Thieves and Psychonauts 2 under "Microsoft Corporation" even though both Xbox and PS studio logos eventually show up on each other's platforms. )

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
In the US, Wipeout 64 was published by Midway, and DD64 was done by Midway; Krazy Ivan and other games (including Wipeout 2097/XL, came through Psygnosis but did not get a US release.
Psygnosis still published some stuff on Sega Saturn like Detruction Derby or Wipeout 2097.
Assuming this is a physical release product, a real publisher matters a bit more
It 99% is, so in that case you would have PlayStation Publishing acting as the publisher, and SIE as the distributor for the physical release.
"PlayStation Publishing" is the name on the Steam games; I read that it was originally the PlayStation Mobile group, (although PS Mobile still lists on the apps,) and it's I assume the LLC brand they'll use for pretty much all non-PS releases.
PlayStation PC LLC took their PC releases over in late 2021, and they recently changed their name to PlayStation Publishing LLC due to LEGO Horizon Adventures on Switch (they refuse to publish anything under Sony Interactive Entertainment on non-PlayStation platforms). I wouldn't be surprised if they also start handling their mobile games soon.
Also, had no idea that LEGO did publish some stuff by their own, thanks for the info!

CamHostage

Psygnosis still published some stuff on Sega Saturn like Detruction Derby or Wipeout 2097.

In Europe, they did; in America, those Saturn versions didn't come out. (However, Wipeout 1 did come out worldwide on Saturn, and Psygnosis indeed was the publishing label in the US. I can't recall if other Psygnosis games came to Saturn globally?) Japanese releases of all these games incidentally were I believe by Softbank.

Fun trivia: another game from those frontier days of PlayStation where anything goed was Jet Moto, and that game had a PC version published by "Sony Interactive Studios America" instead of SCEA. There was a PC version of Twisted Metal, but that only made it to Japan and carried the oft-used-for-weird-reasons "Sony Music Entertainment" publishing label.

In any case, that's my point that publishing matters until it doesn't. It matters when a company shepherds a game through production to release, but sometimes there's a finished product or a dangling deal contract (like Wipeout Saturn, which weirdly Psygnosis was allowed to continue on even though they had been bought by Sony and Tantalus did the port work, and even after that they still did a second Saturn Wipeout and some other Saturn games plus the N64 Wipeout,) and then the rights just get tossed around to whoever can ship the product. (And in the digital era, even "shipping the product" doesn't mean much anymore.) The company that "publishes" a game means whatever the deal terms make it mean.

I've never seen like a deal breakdown for a title where there's not an exclusive publisher arrangement handling the whole product line, but I imagine the finances could have been fine for all parties if LEGO System or whatever could have been the name on the "box" for this game outside PS5, with PS Studios and Guerilla getting their due as producers in the credits. (Or maybe Guerrilla could have actually been the publisher... I mentioned before, it feels like this whole project was a Guerrilla team-up with LEGO and Sony is just along for the ride through ownership.) There's always weird slices of the pie to pass around.

Similarly, PlayStation Publishing LLC could have been the full-spread publisher even on PS5, but instead SIE gets credit for the PS5 version. (I doubt there's particular people not in the PS Publishing group doing paperwork specifically for SIE's sake, but that's how the credits break down anyway.) I imagine Sony in general wants the PS Publishing name to expand in visibility alongside the PlayStation Productions name in entertainment, so maybe they're intentionally handling these through certain arms (or maybe they have to in liability arrangements? I don't know how some of that might work,) but it still didn't go that way here. Still, now that it's an agnostic name, it'll be interesting if we ever see the "PlayStation Publishing" brand used on PS platforms.

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
Fun trivia: another game from those frontier days of PlayStation where anything goed was Jet Moto, and that game was published on PC by "Sony Interactive Studios America" instead of SCEA.
It wasn't anything more than branding, just like every SCEA game from 1995 and 1996, as it wasn't a separate company from SCEI at the time, but rather, a division. The Sony Interactive Entertainment America LLC that still exists today (albeit only focusing on sales and marketing business since 2018) wasn't established until January 1997.
There was a PC version of Twisted Metal, but that only made it to Japan and carried the oft-used-for-weird-reasons "Sony Music Entertainment" publishing label.
Yes, it was published by SMEJ, which used to own 50% of SCEI until 2004, and were also a multi-platform video game publisher, even during their CBS/Sony days.

Last edited:

CamHostage

It 99% is, so in that case you would have PlayStation Publishing acting as the publisher, and SIE as the distributor for the physical release.

You know what's funny about this to me right now is, I don't think "PlayStation Publishing LLC" has a logo to put on a box for a physical release?

They've never needed one with the PC products since they're all just on Steam or EGS, and I can't find there being a logo for the publisher in the PC releases so far. (All the credits either are text or go right to the producer card for PS Studios.) SIE has a logo, PS Studios has a logo, PlayStation Mobile had a logo, but "PlayStation PC" and "PlayStation Publishing" are just labels in the boilerplate and metadata of products as far as the public release copies of games.

I imagine they'll just do the standard PS symbol on white or black, it doesn't need to be fancy or specific, but PS Publishing will have to register a brand (if they haven't already and I've simply never seen it) just for this one boxed product so far.

PlayStation-Roe-v-Wade.jpg

(BTW, I wasn't sure if PS Productions has its own logo since I didn't remember if the Uncharted movie posters has it, but they do and it's on there in the fine print.)

20220224_PlayStationLogo.jpg

Last edited:

tr1p1ex

Is the strategy to use the Lego name to get peopel familiar with the HOrizon brand?

Is that going to be enough to make this game sell? IT just seems like the most obscure licensed IP Lego title yet.

I tried to play HOrizon on PS4 ...but too many context sensitive asks and cutscenes and I bailed quick.

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
You know what's funny about this to me right now is, I don't think "PlayStation Publishing LLC" has a logo to put on a box for a physical release?

They've never needed one with the PC products since they're all just on Steam or EGS, and I can't find there being a logo for the publisher in the PC releases so far. (All the credits either are text or go right to the producer card for PS Studios.) SIE has a logo, PS Studios has a logo, PlayStation Mobile had a logo, but "PlayStation PC" and "PlayStation Publishing" are just labels in the boilerplate and metadata of products as far as the public release copies of games.

I imagine they'll just do the standard PS symbol on white or black, it doesn't need to be fancy or specific, but PS Publishing will have to register a brand (if they haven't already and I've simply never seen it) just for this one boxed product so far.

PlayStation-Roe-v-Wade.jpg

(BTW, I wasn't sure if PS Productions has its own logo since I didn't remember if the Uncharted movie posters has it, but they do and it's on there in the fine print.)

20220224_PlayStationLogo.jpg
Heh, I was actually thinking on bringing that up before, but I thought it was not necessary.
I believe that they will just have the PlayStation Studios logo there and call it a day.

mckmas8808

Is the strategy to use the Lego name to get peopel familiar with the HOrizon brand?

Is that going to be enough to make this game sell? IT just seems like the most obscure licensed IP Lego title yet.

I tried to play HOrizon on PS4 ...but too many context sensitive asks and cutscenes and I bailed quick.

Yes, this is the goal. And then when the kids that are 6-14 play it on the Switch.....the hope is they'd want to play the full real game on PS5 or PS6 some day.

Top Bottom