• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Dark Soul 3 confirmed real by leaked promo art - Early 2016

They kept streamlining BB until they just buffed all the damn RPG elements out it. Don't know if that was the intention...

damn fine action game tho

Bloodtinge feels fine to me - pumping it early, along with the Repeating Pistol can output some serious damage, and dat Chikage/Evelyn combo

Arcane could use some better early game tools, but it doesn't bother me too much.

Raonak

Banned
As much as I adore bloodborne/souls, annualising the games sounds like a great way to turn the formular stale.

Auctopus

fsds40om5.gif

Hahaha

Imru’ al-Qays;167103709 said:
It's both. In terms of lore, atmosphere, themes it's new IP. In terms of gameplay, engine, and development resources it's the fourth Souls game.
by that logic, tlou is not only a new IP, but the fourth uncharted game.

by that logic, the last of us is not only a new IP, but the fifth uncharted game.

I don't really know what you're getting at. In the context of most of the discussion in this thread, which tends to revolve around which "team" is working on Bloodborne, if it's unreasonable for Miyazaki to have directed it, and if the series is becoming too annualized, then it makes sense to treat Bloodborne as an installment in the Souls series.

I'm not saying it doesn't make sense to count TLoU as an installment of the Uncharted series in certain contexts - like a hypothetical discussion of whether Uncharted 3 sucks because the big guns were working on TLoU or whatever (I have no horse in that race). But in terms of gameplay and narrative TLoU is a much more significant departure from Uncharted than Bloodborne is from Souls.

They kept streamlining BB until they just buffed all the damn RPG elements out it. Don't know if that was the intention...

damn fine action game tho

It feels really RE4-ish in a lot of aspects to me. A lot of the fun/replay value comes from experimenting with different weapons and just the pure satisfaction of combat and encounter design. Not so much centered on stats.

Alo0oy

Banned
yeah. even the arcane and bloodtinge builds seem half-baked too. seems like all this stuff was supposed to be deeper and more fleshed out

Are we back in Bloodborne's launch week again when people didn't explore the game very well? Bloodtinge is the most powerful build in the game for PvP. Chikage's trick form gives you the most damage of any weapon in the game at the meta level AND you have access to the Evelyn.

Arcane is meh in PvP though, great for late game PvE. For PvP it's best used as a hybrid class to accompany STR or SKL builds to have access to Beast Roar & Old Hunter Bone.

Imru’ al-Qays;167107117 said:
I don't really know what you're getting at. In the context of most of the discussion in this thread, which tends to revolve around which "team" is working on Bloodborne, if it's unreasonable for Miyazaki to have directed it, and if the series is becoming too annualized, then it makes sense to treat Bloodborne as an installment in the Souls series.

I'm not saying it doesn't make sense to count TLoU as an installment of the Uncharted series in certain contexts - like a hypothetical discussion of whether Uncharted 3 sucks because the big guns were working on TLoU or whatever (I have no horse in that race). But in terms of gameplay and narrative TLoU is a much more significant departure from Uncharted than Bloodborne is from Souls.
what I am getting at is that it isn't fair to consider a game both a new IP and an installment of an existing series simultaneously.

Exactly by your words: If we are going terms of lore, atmosphere, themes, tlou is without a doubt a new IP obviously since it is a zombie apocalypse and shares no similarities to uncharted in this regard. But...if we are to go by gameplay, engine, and development resources, tlou is pretty in line with uncharted, is it not? gameplay consists of 3rd person shooting, and stealth (improves upon the uncharted series and not only that...Uc4 seems to take a lot after tlou judging by the demo, doesn't it?) and correct me if i'm wrong, but tlou runs on the same refined engine that Uc3 does.

I find it very inconsistent to say bloodborne is a souls game and to also say it is its own (potential new series).

Game4life

Banned
I dont mind this as long as I get my Bloodborne sequel in 2017. It will be irritating if the sequel gets delayed because of this.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
let the Souls/BB annualization BEGIN

Not sure how I feel about the annualization of the series tbh

Dark Souls came out in October 2011
Dark Souls 2 came out in March, 2014.
If the next one is early 2016, that's hardly "annualization".

If you really want to lump Bloodborne into the equation (a different IP with at least a 2-year dev cycle from a different publisher), then be my guest.

The Know redeemed.

Might be redeemed once again in a week.

How are they redeemed? Those asshats flaunt their shit like they're some goddam gift to humanity, when all they're potentially doing is hurting devs and ruining surprises. I swear, the majority of "games media" is comprised of babies who want attention, and it's no better that so-called professional journalist sites clamber desperately to get a piece of the rumour/leak pie every time they get a whiff.

It's a joke, and people like that shouldn't be given the time of day.

Anyway, praise the black sun.

Dark Souls came out in October 2011
Dark Souls 2 came out in March, 2014.
If the next one is early 2016, that's hardly "annualization".

If you really want to lump Bloodborne into the equation (a different IP with at least a 2-year dev cycle from a different publisher), then be my guest.

How are they redeemed? Those asshats flaunt their shit like they're some goddam gift to humanity, when all they're potentially doing is hurting devs and ruining surprises. I swear, the majority of "games media" is comprised of babies who want attention, and it's no better that so-called professional journalist sites clamber desperately to get a piece of the rumour/leak pie every time they get a whiff.

It's a joke, and people like that shouldn't be given the time of day.

Anyway, praise the black sun.

I like this...the sun is burning out yall!

Neoweee

Downgrade lighting, confirmed.

Also seems like the cover art/avatar of the second game got burned/diseased. More of the second's country/nation? :/

There's nothing similar at all about the architecture. It is far more built up than anything seen in Dark Souls 2, and Drangleic is already a zombie nation on the (rapid) decline before your character shows up. This likely takes place some huge amount of time late, again, or is a new setting altogether. There's no chance at all that this is still a nation known as Drangleic.

ZangBa

I'm jealous of people who actually love playing Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty and etc. and get to play a new one every year. I'm glad I don't have to wait 5 years just to get a quality game like the Souls series. If they started pumping them out every year, I don't even care. There has never been a bad Souls game yet, despite the DSII hate brigade's claims.

I don't have any franchise fatigue with this series, they can keep making them, and I'll keep buying them. Every single entry in the series provides more content and a better experience than the majority of the junk that is out there. From Software took a gamble and made a niche game that turned out successful and they didn't have to resort to mobile like so many other Japanese studios. If they can keep making them and make money, then more power to them, they earned it.

Well this is very excited for me. I absolutly love the souls series as well as bloodborne. I hope FROM can keep up good quality for years to come

If Miyazaki isn't directing the game do you think they'd try and make it sound like he is?

Yes, without a doubt. He'll be credited as lead dev even if he's acting as a producer in actuality. I doubt we'll be able to tell how involved he actually is with the game's development until it's released.

"They" meaning Namco.

Are we back in Bloodborne's launch week again when people didn't explore the game very well? Bloodtinge is the most powerful build in the game for PvP. Chikage's trick form gives you the most damage of any weapon in the game at the meta level AND you have access to the Evelyn.

Arcane is meh in PvP though, great for late game PvE. For PvP it's best used as a hybrid class to accompany STR or SKL builds to have access to Beast Roar & Old Hunter Bone.

can't really speak to anything you're saying, but i believe you. i platinumed the game 100% in offline mode, never played pvp or co-op

Multiplayer in general is getting worse. Look at invasions from game to game:

Demon's- "Here's this easily-accessible invasion item along with tons of niche build options like stealth and armor-breaking stuff. Good luck!"

Dark 1- "Beat the Four Kings and find the secret covenant to invade. Good- Oh God, oh Jesus! Where did all of these SL 10 Havel pyromancers come from?!"

Dark 2- "Okay, you know what? No more being mean to newbies. Here's this awful and convoluted Soul Memory balancing system, good luck invading anyone who doesn't want to be invaded, now the odds are really against- Oh God, oh Jesus! Where did all of these modded SL 700 Havels come from?!"

Bloodborne- "Let's do Demon's Souls, but kind of half-assed where newbies can't be invaded period and everyone else can only be invaded in select areas. Also, there's an enemy that summons invaders, but she only appears during your first co-op session in that area and never respawns."

Just go back to the Demon's Souls system already. human is invadable, undead isn't, and there are no humanity buffs to overpower "career invaders" who camp areas.

GorillaJu

Imru’ al-Qays;167112457 said:
Yes, without a doubt. He'll be credited as lead dev even if he's acting as a producer in actuality. I doubt we'll be able to tell how involved he actually is with the game's development until it's released.

"They" meaning Namco.

Its interesting how much things like this get discussed. I can't figure out exactly what information craving it satisfies... Do people want to think he is in charge so they can admire him more, or do they want to think Sony had him completely devoted to Bloodborne so they can appreciate that game or their PS4 more?

The only thing I'll say is that if it says the game is directed by Miyazaki Hidetaka, then you can be damn sure he's heavily involved in the game's design. Namco wouldn't ‘lie’ to drum up hype from a very small segment of their fan base who associate his name with quality more so than the franchise name, and I certainly don't think From would either.

Wereroku

Its interesting how much things like this get discussed. I can't figure out exactly what information craving it satisfies... Do people want to think he is in charge so they can admire him more, or do they want to think Sony had him completely devoted to Bloodborne so they can appreciate that game or their PS4 more?

The only thing I'll say is that if it says the game is directed by Miyazaki Hidetaka, then you can be damn sure he's heavily involved in the game's design. Namco wouldn't ‘lie’ to drum up hype from a very small segment of their fan base who associate his name with quality more so than the franchise name, and I certainly don't think From would either.

I agree. I doubt he would put his name on anything that he wasn't fully involved in. Not just because he is modest or anything but he seems really into the thought of letting new people be involved and having their contributions be recognized properly. Honestly I hope it is the Dark Souls 2 team if only because I think they deserve more work and because it means he is fully focused on the BB expansion. Really though I don't think he is directing DkS3 his next project will probably be another new IP. He seems to be focused on doing new things and being in charge gives him the power to green light new projects.

Sevyne

Compared to the A team netcode? Dark II was amazing. Especially the matchmaking.

The UI design is also top notch, why the fuck they didn't give us auto hide HUD for Bloodborne is beyond me.

Speaking of UI type stuff; One thing I will totally compliment them for is the items/equipment menu. I will always prefer a more grid based inventory over a list inventory any day. Sure, the list is more user friendly to new players because of the easily visible descriptions/stats, but that's about it.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
functional pvp?

Do you need a reminder of the horrible netcode and lag?
It's been bad since the beginning, but it was the worst of them all in Dark Souls 1. Dark Souls 2's multiplayer was not as good as Demon's Souls, but it was ridiculously better than Dark Souls' and Bloodborne's, even considering problems like soul memory.

Jombie

The Souls series has become my all-time favorite and honestly don't feel like playing anything else sometimes. As long as From continues to put their blood, sweat, and tears into these games then I have no problem with releases every two years.

Considering the quality of the DaS 2 DLC and SotFS, I wouldn't mind at all if Tanimura and his team were behind this. I have a hard time believing Miyazaki is directing it, not if the game actually releases early next year. If that's the case then he would no doubt be a real supervisor this time, as opposed to being a de facto one like he was on DaS 2.

So the Souls franchise is annualized now? Surprised there's no backlash but then again, still the early days.

Hope this doesn't mean the end of Bloodborne. I much prefer its style and gameplay over the Souls games.

Best wishes.

Shengar

2016? Isn't that a bit too soon? Like Bloodborne underwent 2.5 years of development cycle after Miyazaki finished with AotS. Even if they did developed Dark Soul 3 right after Dark Souls release, it still just a two years, or even less development cycle. I'm not really feeling it, even when the director is really Miyazaki I would still extremely cautious. This is why I'm actually want the rumor about Dark Souls III, or at least the release date, turned out to be false.

2016? Isn't that a bit too soon? Like Bloodborne underwent 2.5 years of development cycle after Miyazaki finished with AotS. Even if they did developed Dark Soul 3 right after Dark Souls release, it still just a two years, or even less development cycle. I'm not really feeling it, even when the director is really Miyazaki I would still extremely cautious. This is why I'm actually want the rumor about Dark Souls III, or at least the release date, turned out to be false.

Going from a 2.5 year to a 2 year dev cycle isn't that big of a deal, since most of the engine work for DS3 will have been done with Bloodborne. For previous installments they've had to do a lot more heavy lifting - Dark Souls was their first time doing a 360 version, Artorias of the Abyss was their first time doing a PC version, Dark Souls 2 seems to have bitten off more than it could chew, and Bloodborne was moving to next-gen.

Dark Souls 3 will just require them to get their Bloodborne engine running on Xbone and PC, which isn't nearly as challenging as what they've tried to do in the past. So yeah, I can see them doing it in a 2 year cycle this time and not seeing a drop in quality.

The real question is Miyazaki's involvement. What people have been suggesting sounds plausible - he's more involved in the early stages and then moves to a more supervisory role as the game nears completion, with Dark Souls 2 being an anomaly in that he was missing the entire time. According to this theory he would have moved to Bloodborne after finishing content work on Artorias of the Abyss (well before release, since the major challenge of the Dark Souls DLC was getting the PC version up and running), then moved to Dark Souls 3 after finishing content work on Bloodborne.

But that could just be wishful thinking, and maybe he really will be basically sitting out every other game from here on out - working only on the ticks instead of the tocks. And, of course, if he moved on to Dark Souls 3 after finishing content work on Bloodborne then who exactly has been working on the Bloodborne DLC? Maybe that's where they chose to cut corners.

Top Bottom