• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IndieGamerChick: NX more powerful than PS4/XB1, easy to develop for [rumor]

I hope the rumors are false since the system needs to be $250 and below. I don't see NX selling well if it's a traditional console at $350 and up :(

Mihos

Gold Member
Whatever keep 'stylized graphics' out of the game descriptions when cross platform games come out

KamiCrit

I hope the rumors are false since the system needs to be $250 and below. I don't see NX selling well if it's a traditional console at $350 and up :(

If it's true that Nintendo plans to keep the Wii U and 3DS around and have the NX be a new thing on its own then I can totally see it being in the affordable price range.

Wow I remember articles like this for WiiU saying the same things almost verbatim. Hmmm...would have to be something incredible for me to jump back in with Nintendo though. But I guess I'm slowly getting into the ecosystem with Miitomo app thingy. Still Ninty has been a second cheap console purchase for the past decade for me, would be nice if thery are front and center again and have a technical showpiece console.

i could have tweeted this rumor out. wy are we talking about this.

seriously, every nintendo console rumor has people with "industry sources' saying "it's more powerful than [systems out right now]!" "it's the easiest system to develop for. just port over your code, compile it and you're done!" followed by hype "woah third parties have NO EXCUSE now! Nintendo NX, GET IT"

i love the run up to nintendo console hype, but this is the most boring leak ever

RichGS

Why would anyone believe her as a credible source? Plus, she only states things that are pretty obvious anyway.

If NX comes out and it's a bog-standard console that's weaker than the PS4 or Xbox One it's screwed. Also, let's face it, if it is a standard console it's going to more than likely use PC architecture like the Xbox One and PS4, meaning it'll be easy to develop for.

Neoxon

Why would anyone believe her as a credible source? Plus, she only states things that are pretty obvious anyway.

If NX comes out and it's a bog-standard console that's weaker than the PS4 or Xbox One it's screwed. Also, let's face it, if it is a standard console it's going to more than likely use PC architecture like the Xbox One and PS4, meaning it'll be easy to develop for.
Unless Nintendo wants to unify their consoles with their handhelds on an architectural level (I.E. ARM instead of x86).

seriously, every nintendo console rumor has people with "industry sources' saying "it's more powerful than [systems out right now]!" "it's the easiest system to develop for. just port over your code, compile it and you're done!" followed by hype "woah third parties have NO EXCUSE now! Nintendo NX, GET IT"

i love the run up to nintendo console hype, but this is the most boring leak ever

Yup pretty much

nothing but non news since the Trev leaks

Davey Cakes

"Optimised for gaming"

Holy shit this changes everything...
Well, if the system has most of its resources allocated to games as opposed to apps and other additional features, there could be some truth to the statement, yes?

Maybe Nintendo is stripping all the extra stuff out and is focusing purely on what works. That means, no more attempts at similar services to TVii.

Miiverse, Web Browser, maybe things like Netflix/Hulu/Amazon, but not much else in terms of multimedia.

Or it could just be an empty statement about being a gamer's machine or something like that. I don't know. But I won't shrug it off immediately.

Daft Punk

Banned

People just want to see Nintendo back at the top like with Wii. So of course all of the hype is making it seem like it's the best thing ever. Just have to wait for E3.

bachikarn

Nice argument.

There needs to be an audience for those third parties to sell to, and this is Nintendo's responsibility. There were a bunch of third party platform games on the N64 because Nintendo built that audience with Mario64.

Similarly n64 and Xbox had a lot of shooters due GoldenEye and Halo.

If Nintendo wants third parties, they have to build that audience by making similar really good games themselves.

imjust1n

Banned

It will not be 250 or less Im guessing 399 with NX controller. PS4K and Xbox One.5 will be 400 with PS4 being dropped to 250 same with xbox one and wii U being dropped to 230 new tech is always more expensive.

Schnozberry

Toolchains can differ vastly, even in consoles with similar hardware. If Nintendo came prepared with well optimized tools for the NX out of the gate that would be a huge improvement over what happened on the Wii U. Tools for the U weren't particularly mature until almost a year after release.

Mihos

Gold Member
Portable/Console hybrid gaming is that "something".

Portable/Console thing is not going to generate CNN feel good shorts about how old people are working out in nursing homes using it.

The Wii boom was us parents failed attempt to get our lazy kids off the couch, it felt like a compromise... that is what made it the 'Tickle me Elmo' of that Christmas cycle.

I think the NX will probably sell fine, and it may be this Christmas' "must have" and easy out gift for parents as long as there isn't anything to push it out of the spotlight between now and then. But the novelty of being a hybrid is more of a 'ok, that's kinda handy' and not some super feature that grandparents are waiting in line for.

diaspora

Toolchains can differ vastly, even in consoles with similar hardware. If Nintendo came prepared with well optimized tools for the NX out of the gate that would be a huge improvement over what happened on the Wii U. Tools for the U weren't particularly mature until almost a year after release.
This. Wii U in cross platform development was ridiculous.

Nintendo is building a family of devices iirc, so I think we can assume there won't be a handheld only release.

I think the idea is that it's a handheld only with a dock that allows you to go fullscreen on any device.

Multiplayer would mean you just have multiple handhelds, which is also similar to what Nintendo has been doing in the past.

And yeah, I don't believe the PS4 / X1 power rumors are going to happen - if anything, it might have 'similar visuals' because it'd have less resolution, etc. I wouldn't expect to see 1080p/60fps out of this thing.

Davey Cakes

People just want to see Nintendo back at the top like with Wii. So of course all of the hype is making it seem like it's the best thing ever. Just have to wait for E3.
I just wish people didn't expect another Wii.

At this point Nintendo will be lucky if they can carve out a lucrative niche for themselves. I think a lot of us would be happy if the company merely saw moderate success, enough to keep them afloat while providing the gaming experiences that keep us coming back.

Of course they could tap the mainstream market in a meaningful way, but we're not getting another Wii Sports situation.

Shang

It will not be 250 or less Im guessing 399 with NX controller. PS4K and Xbox One.5 will be 400 with PS4 being dropped to 250 same with xbox one and wii U being dropped to 230 new tech is always more expensive.

I would say about $300, as Miyamoto said once that the Wii U was just a bit too expensive, but he's not actually working on the console this time around, so I guess it's fair game. I don't think it will be $400, though; $350 at most.

TAS

Well..at least it's promising that we are hearing rumors that NX will be powerful. It frustates the hell out me with Nintendo's 'conservative' route. We know they are more than capable of making powerful hardware--up until the GameCube era they were solid. And then the Wii happened and they took their foot off the gas completely.

Just a thought: if there is basis in this then Sony&MS surely know at least rough outlines of it. If it really is more powerful then the urge to push hw-updates to existing consoles would be bit more understandable. "The most powerful console" is a strong selling point for people who buy consoles anymore...

Edit. So many typos.

jax

Banned
There needs to be an audience for those third parties to sell to, and this is Nintendo's responsibility. There were a bunch of third party platform games on the N64 because Nintendo built that audience with Mario64.

Similarly n64 and Xbox had a lot of shooters due GoldenEye and Halo.

If Nintendo wants third parties, they have to build that audience by making similar really good games themselves.
The audience is already there. You think the 3/4 of people who haven't upgraded to a current gen console just hate third party games? They'll see the graphics are better on NX, see the portability convenience, see the third parties they've been missing out on, and Smash Bros and Zelda and other first parties are just icing on the cake. If Sony and Microsoft didn't take 3-4 years to get their consoles off the ground there wouldn't be much competition, but their first party lineup is non-existent, and their consoles shipped underpowered. (4K and 1.5 on the horizon.) Literally every PS4 owner I've told about the 4K is like "wtf. I should have just bought a PC" ... People are pissed. They'll vote with their wallets.
Portable/Console thing is not going to generate CNN feel good shorts about how old people are working out in nursing homes using it.

The Wii boom was us parents failed attempt to get our lazy kids off the couch, it felt like a compromise... that is what made it the 'Tickle me Elmo' of that Christmas cycle.

I think the NX will probably sell fine, and it may be this Christmas' "must have" and easy out gift for parents as long as there isn't anything to push it out of the spotlight between now and then. But the novelty of being a hybrid is more of a 'ok, that's kinda handy' and not some super feature that grandparents are waiting in line for.
It might not be /exactly/ Wii levels of success, but I believe the prospect of a portable current gen console with true third party and Nintendo's impeccable first party lineups could seriously disrupt the market. It might not outsell the PS4 right away, but I could see it quickly overtaking the Xbox One, if marketed right.

PS4/PS4K vs NX is a tougher fight. One Sony could win if they put out a Vita 2 (fat chance)

Wildean

Wow I remember articles like this for WiiU saying the same things almost verbatim.

I remember sources calling the Wii U a "little beast" and similar prior to release. Can't see many reasons why they would try to match current gen specs, as they have almost zero chance of becoming competitive in the third party AAA space PS4 dominates. Though if NX is comparatively weak then they really need to manage PR on that front, as the "decade old tech" line used against Wii U did not help.

diaspora

Except, y'know, the whole restructuring and merging of all the Wii U/3DS teams.

But that's probably just for no reason.
Or you know, because of the desire to unify engine, software, and toolset development across home and portable devices. Like... A family of devices capable of scalability.

MK_768

Except, y'know, the whole restructuring and merging of all the Wii U/3DS teams.

But that's probably just for no reason.

Lol. I'm sorry did I say that it was for no reason. No I didn't. You wanna have a debate don't put words in my mouth.

But if that's the only reason you can gather from the restructuring then clearly you are biased to the whole hybrid idea.

Pineapple

I'm a little shocked at this point that Nintendo hasn't announced anything regarding the NX. I was confident that they would inform us of the device prior to E3, showing us the console, its capabilities, the concept behind it, etc. Then, they could focus on games, tech specs, price, release date, etc, at E3 - similar to the way Sony structured announcements for the PS4 back in 2013.

At this point, though, if nothing is announced within the next few weeks, then it's probably unlikely that we'll get any actual information before E3.

diaspora

The family of devices talk along with merging teams is more indicative of developing scalable tools and software for devices on different hardware so they don't need to have two different sets of teams, engines, games, and tools.

Of course it will be more powerful than XB1 which is a rather pathetic 1.3 TFLOP GPU tied to 6GB useable old and slow DDR3 MEMORY. If it can't beat that we got the Wii U situation on our hands again. I would expect the NX to at least be as powerful as the PS4.

A lot of developers have said it was easy to port last-gen games to Wii U.

It's not news that Nintendo hasn't been on the good side of third-parties since the N64. But at least a lot of niche games were made for Wii despite its power (thanks to its install base).

Oh come on. If it had been easy, it would've been Mass Effect Trilogy the Wii U got, not Mass Effect 3 followed by EA reportedly sending back most of their Wii U kits. We would've been drowning in late ports.

Roo

Or you know, because of the desire to unify engine, software, and toolset development across home and portable devices. Like... A family of devices capable of scalability.
Their official statement about no hybrid thing is worthless too it seems lol

Of course it will be more powerful than XB1 which is a rather pathetic 1.3 TFLOP GPU tied to 6GB useable old and slow DDR3 MEMORY. If it can't beat that we got the Wii U situation on our hands again. I would expect the NX to at least be as powerful as the PS4.

You're in for a disappointment then. It won't be the WiiU situation, it'll be the 3DS situation and that'll be just fine.

Oh come on. If it had been easy, it would've been Mass Effect Trilogy the Wii U got, not Mass Effect 3 followed by EA reportedly sending back most of their Wii U kits. We would've been drowning in late ports.

It also didn't get Bioshock Infinite, even after Ken Levine paying lip service to the console before its launch.

Man, watching that interview today is painful.

MK_768

I'm a little shocked at this point that Nintendo hasn't announced anything regarding the NX. I was confident that they would inform us of the device prior to E3, showing us the console, its capabilities, the concept behind it, etc. Then, they could focus on games, tech specs, price, release date, etc, at E3 - similar to the way Sony structured announcements for the PS4 back in 2013.

At this point, though, if nothing is announced within the next few weeks, then it's probably unlikely that we'll get any actual information before E3.

They've been transparent about when they weren't going to talk about it. Kimishima in February(or late Jan) said they won't talk about it until the new fiscal year. That starts April 1st. There is plenty of time for hem to do everything you've outlined.

I wouldn't be shocked if they have an event/direct at the end of April. Kinda confident they will

Top Bottom