• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming Thread March 2013: It's $1 per post, $5 for 8 posts or $10 for 20 posts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Natiko

Banned
I just had a question - any recommendations for good multiplayer, asynchronous iPhone games me and my girlfriend could play? We've burned out on Hanging with Friends, Words with Friends, and LetterPress.

Flunkie

Banned
Got your friend acceptance in the baseball game, and subsequently had like 10 challenges unlocked. Got 11 upgrade stones all at once!

Now how the hell do we play a game against each other?
Hah, similar thing happened to me. And I have no freaking clue. Umm, it says how in another quest but I can't find where it's talking about.

In other news, Vector (I'm playing the free version) is an excellent runner. I'm as tired as the runners as everyone else, but the animations (it's a parkour-based game) make it awesome.

Also, I bought Backflip Madness last night. Haven't put it down since. It's so addicting and frustrating at the same time. Glad it has a free mode for practice, though. Great, great, great game.

Fjordson

8 Ball Pool is well done, I've enjoyed the multiplayer. Anyone want to play later, I'm vyerx there.
Question on this, does it have matchmaking multiplayer? Like if I want to play online it can just put me into a match with some one random without having to set up a game?

I just had a question - any recommendations for good multiplayer, asynchronous iPhone games me and my girlfriend could play? We've burned out on Hanging with Friends, Words with Friends, and LetterPress.

Ascension by Playdek is a good one if she's dorky enough to play these kinds of card games.

Disc Drivin'

ALWAYS Disc Drivin'.

And Prose With Bros, if you like word stuff.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Also Today's codes giveaway

The first TWO new players who will join today will get a code each for The Walking Dead Assault for iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch.
These codes are NOT USA only, they're good for whatever region you're account is bound to.

Just send me a PM when you've joined the competition to confirm and get the code:)

Edit: codes gone

I beat all the challenges in Sonic Dash, after spending about 10 red coins in total I was left with 20~something, can't earn any more red coins for free thus can not unlock any other characters without paying for red coins.

lol. The base price for that game should not be there.

Goli

So I've been playing Liberation Maiden and I don't see why people seem to think it's so bad. I'm having a blast playing on easy, it kind of feels like Sin & Punishment with more animu thrown in (which may turn some people off). I'm glad it was added to the OP :).

I beat all the challenges in Sonic Dash, after spending about 10 red coins in total I was left with 20~something, can't earn any more red coins for free thus can not unlock any other characters without paying for red coins.

lol. The base price for that game should not be there.
Sounds kind of bad :/. Good thing I held off buying it.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
The Happy Street update today was pretty ace, I've now got five different quest lines running at once :lol

The stuff in the tailor is cool as well. NEED MORE FLOOZ.
Epic poop head is epic

Minsc

Gold Member
For those who like their isometric twin stick shooters, I just noticed the second entry of the fun Robokill series has hit the app store, guess it's been there a little while now (not universal, but iPad version is currently free). I played through the entire first game, and it was enjoyable. You can sample Robokill 2 on a PC for free too if you don't have an iPad. Lots of weapon upgrades which visually fill the screen with bullets in all sorts of different ways. Also lots of ways to die (simplest and most common being falling off the edge to your death)! Unfortunately, there's a few IAP items available, but my hunch is they're just to make things easy, I can't see the normal weapons not being up to the task, since it's a game of reflexes and cover in the end, and knowing how to move around your enemies... plus the normal arsenal of weapons is quite deadly already.

So I've been playing Liberation Maiden and I don't see why people seem to think it's so bad. I'm having a blast playing on easy, it kind of feels like Sin & Punishment with more animu thrown in (which may turn some people off). I'm glad it was added to the OP :).

Sounds kind of bad :/. Good thing I held off buying it.

It's a fun game but it's the same story with sonic jump, pay up front but treat the game as a freemium, it's sonic so it sells and I can't really blame them, but it's annoying.

Goli

Is this any good? Why so expensive?

I dunno, I almost impulse bought it but I decided to look it up and it seems it isn't very good:
http://www.metacritic.com/game/psp/blazing-souls-accelate

As for why it is expensive, I don't know. Japanese developers seem to have no issue with charging more money for their mobile games than your average one if they believe their efforts justify the price tag, Square Enix is known for doing this, this game does too as do a lot of others like Sorcerian for iOS or Steins;Gate.

Flunkie

Banned
Worms 2 Armaggeddon is still $.99, and has asynchronous play. It uses Game Center, and I'm looking for people to play with. Flunkie44 on GC. Sent an invite to Xelios.

Dash Kappei

Worms 2 Armaggeddon is still $.99, and has asynchronous play. It uses Game Center, and I'm looking for people to play with. Flunkie44 on GC. Sent an invite to Xelios.

If you're ok to play with someone who hasn't played it since the first on the Amiga...

edit: damn I have 400MB free but it won't dl?!
Gonna do it tomorrow then

PFD

Wide Sky has been updated with full ipad support. The game is very playable on the ipad, and includes retina graphics.

The menus are very obtuse though, and I'm not sure if there are multiple levels in the game, or we just keep playing the same level with different challenges.

Flunkie

Banned
If you're ok to play with someone who hasn't played it since the first on the Amiga...

edit: damn I have 400MB free but it won't dl?!
Gonna do it tomorrow then

Woot.

Also, Walking Dead is pretty cool. Like the style. It's a bit hard to play "strategically" on the phone, so I end up just moving my whole group places. But it's still cool. Makes me want to go download the comics.

Guys, help me out here, I want a fast, level based casual puzzler akin to Cut The Rope or Trainyard to have in my phone but I ABSOLUTELY despise "loose physics" games like Angry Birds, Bad Piggies or Where's My Water in which many times you fail despite using a "correct solution" (you guys know what I mean here, right?).

So what say ye? I've tried Geared, it's ok but it gets old fast, what else is there?

Consider Carcassonne.

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/carcassonne/id375295479?mt=8

Really well implemented, lots of activity on the iOS Board Game thread too.
(Also Stone Age, Penny Arcade Card Game, Ticket To Ride Pocket, Lost Cities)

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/ticket-to-ride-pocket/id471857988?mt=8

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/lost-cities/id465062454?mt=8

Too bad the terrain expansions are so fucking big for me right know. 500K atm =(

Hah, yeah, mine are about 700k and it's even worse since I buy them in pairs so I need bloody loads of coins. I think I have about fifteen different upgrades to build as well and I can't afford them :lol

Manax

Playing help volty as a gaffer recommended it (and it was free)

The mechanical "boss" is a big load of crap though what the hell, any tips to beating this one from anyone playing?

PittaGAF

Playing help volty as a gaffer recommended it (and it was free)

The mechanical "boss" is a big load of crap though what the hell, any tips to beating this one from anyone playing?

Hmmmm I completed the game....which boos are you referring to? Level 11?

Manax

Hmmmm I completed the game....which boos are you referring to? Level 11?

The mechanical robot you put back together and have to dodge once it comes back to life. I've literally died about 15 times on it,
getting pretty frustrated with the controls not sure if its me sucking or the games design.

PittaGAF

The mechanical robot you put back together and have to dodge once it comes back to life. I've literally died about 15 times on it,
getting pretty frustrated with the controls not sure if its me sucking or the games design.

Ah ok :)

As soon as you place the last piece, run away!!!
After the first run, the robot will run to you only when you electrify your bug...so be prepared and...use his power against the walls :)

muddream

Banned
Guys, help me out here, I want a fast, level based casual puzzler akin to Cut The Rope or Trainyard to have in my phone but I ABSOLUTELY despise "loose physics" games like Angry Birds, Bad Piggies or Where's My Water in which many times you fail despite using a "correct solution" (you guys know what I mean here, right?).

So what say ye? I've tried Geared, it's ok but it gets old fast, what else is there?

Swing King looks and plays good. You pick up stars Cut The Rope style with an improved Angry Birds control scheme. The only knock is that the puzzles aren't very complex, but neither is 95% of Cut The Rope.

PFD

Contre Jour

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Knights of Pen and Paper going free tonight. I should have never paid for it considering I didn't even play it

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Knights of Pen and Paper going free tonight. I should have never paid for it considering I didn't even play it

I held off updating this and stopped playing when they released that update that broke some stuff (including game saves?).

Do you know if the latest version is fine?

I held off updating this and stopped playing when they released that update that broke some stuff (including game saves?).

I was really enjoying the game until I got the trap gate bug.
The game wants me to fight 7 trap gate enemies but the location had no such guy.
I thought this was a known bug and they haven't fixed it. This was back in December!

It's too bad because I was really enjoying it.

Dash Kappei

Today's codes giveaway

The first TWO new players who will join the competition today will get a code each for The Walking Dead Assault for iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch or for TWANG THE FOX by PikPok.
These codes are NOT USA only, they're good for whatever region you're account is bound to.

Just send me a PM or a TWEET at @GAF_iOS_scores
when you've joined the competition to confirm and get the code:)

Gaf Challenge 7 Tiny Wings

First come first serve.
Also we have a new TOP10 and have reached the 60 players milestone!

Dash Kappei

So I've bought Worms 2 Armageddon which features aweome async multiplayer.
Anybody up to play? I suck, haven't played the games since the Amiga days, send an invite to

Dash Kappei GAF (my Game Center's handle)

Woot.

Also, Walking Dead is pretty cool. Like the style. It's a bit hard to play "strategically" on the phone, so I end up just moving my whole group places. But it's still cool. Makes me want to go download the comics.

Installed now! Waiting to be wiped off the face of the Earth

Flunkie

Banned
So I've bought Worms 2 Armageddon which features aweome async multiplayer.
Anybody up to play? I suck, haven't played the games since the Amiga days, send an invite to

Dash Kappei GAF (my Game Center's handle)

Installed now! Waiting to be wiped off the face of the Earth

Sending you an game right away.

Worms 2 Armaggeddon, Disc Drivin, and Carcassonne. All you'll need for awhile.

Manax

Ah ok :)

As soon as you place the last piece, run away!!!
After the first run, the robot will run to you only when you electrify your bug...so be prepared and...use his power against the walls :)

Thanks
I was sure he only ran at you when you got close enough! So I was foolishly getting way too close to dodge

ToxicAdam

I was really enjoying the game until I got the trap gate bug.
The game wants me to fight 7 trap gate enemies but the location had no such guy.
I thought this was a known bug and they haven't fixed it. This was back in December!

It's too bad because I was really enjoying it.

Same here.

Goli

re: Blazing Souls Accelate:
The dev posted a bit about the game over in TA:
Indeed, this is a port of the PSP game of the same name. This game series did meet with criticism in the west, and a lot of PSP users will say the game was flawed. However, many thought it was an good series on PSP, and it's quite a bit easier (and faster) to play via touch on the iOS. In addition, we fixed a a bunch of glitches/bugs, enhanced the graphics, and tweaked the balancing of the game quite a bit. The game does has a little bit of a learning curve, and focuses more on its battle system than Spectral Souls did, but it's much easier to get sucked into once you get the hang of it. We think if you give it an honest shot, you may find a full length SRPG that beats most other iOS RPGs.

As for the universe itself: Ideafactory titles (especially in Japan) are considered one of the largest, deepest RPG creators around. Check out their site (Japanese only, I'm afraid): http://www.ideaf.co.jp/ and you'll see a large breadth of titles available.

Still don't know whether to buy it but I think it's pretty awesome it's not a straight up port.
Who's gonna take one for the team? :p

Dash Kappei

Sending you an game right away.

Worms 2 Armaggeddon, Disc Drivin, and Carcassonne. All you'll need for awhile.

Yeah I haven't started my turn cause I realized I'm waaaay more terrible that I though, I wouldn't have fun atm.
Trying to do the campaign to learn, sucks there's no tutorial or anything... I mean I even had to try weapon one vy one going by the icons since it doesn't tell me shit!
Also ubernewbz question: apparently it's the CPU who decides which worm I'm taking control in each turn?
I can't choose, swap or even know in advance which one is it going to be?

Gimme some tips goddamnit I bought the game cause of you :p

Vyer

Question on this, does it have matchmaking multiplayer? Like if I want to play online it can just put me into a match with some one random without having to set up a game?

Yup. Seems to work pretty well too. No problems finding games so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom