• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iwata implies he may resign over poor business performance

bi_in_fo_laughing_gif_by_kuro_kokoro-d4zdga6.gif

Everything he said it's true.

Only delusional Nintendo (Iwata?) fanboys can say otherwise.

A new president is needed but people are insane if they think they will be getting nothing but AAA blockbusters from Nintendo. If anything they will start creating more social games and release more F2P stuff. The videgame market is a fucking awful market to be in, and we will only see the decline of the blockbuster going forward.

Maybe, but if you're saying that cutting edge hardware automatically equals Ocarina of Time level games, and can only be achieved on said hardware, you're pretty off the mark. Galaxy happened on hardware that could have come out in 2003. It was still amazing.

Software was what I was referring to in my previous post about Iwata.

Nintendo's software approach and philosophy saw drastic changes under Iwata's leadership.

Their new hardware approach, that so many people love to emphasize on, was just the inevitable result of their new software model.

You don't need powerful hardware to make games like Wii Sports, Wii Fit, Nintendogs, Brain Training, Nintendoland etc. You don't need powerful hardware when you have no intention in creating new, ambitious, core games.

Nintendo was pushing the hardware when they were an ambitious developer that had a more core-centric approach.

When you want to create an ambitious game like Super Mario 64 or Ocarina of Time, then, you need the hardware to do so. But when you don't have such intentions anymore, then, hardware becomes irrelevant.

The pre-Iwata era Nintendo produced ambitious, progressive, games that tried to make an impact by pushing both game design and technology (and, of course, they had a more core-centric approach).

The Iwata-era Nintendo focuses on cheap, casualized little games and their output is unambitious, conservative and, instead of pushing actual game design and technology, puts too much emphasis on gimmicks.

In my opinion, Zelda is a prime example of how modern Nintendo's philosophy and lack of ambition is hurting their output.

I don't disagree with you about their software output over the last six-to-eight years, but it's also true that under the philosophy of pushing graphics and core games like Mario and Zelda and catering their business only to hardcore gamers, their market share precipitously dropped from generation-to-generation. I mean SNES had, what, 60 million? N64 only barely sold over 30 million. GameCube didn't even hit 24 million. Iwata and his management philosophy increased their market share from the lows of the GameCube to the incredible highs of the Wii/DS era. It was an inevitable bubble that was destined to burst, sure, but it was still the only reason Nintendo made any money the last seven years.

Celine

Mr. Miyamoto should absolutely be held accountable for several of the financial mishaps of the company. Miyamoto is a Managing Director on the Board of Directors, responsible for all the big decisions from business practice to hardware decisions.
Of course and not only him.

I believe that Iwata will not step down unless he want to.
Yamauchi well know that fortunes in the videogames market rapidly changes and the CEO must endure under good and bad times.
Identity is a much pressing concern.

Screenboy

Arguably responsible for the rise and fall of Nintendo over the last decade. I don't think you can write him off yet, Nintendo need an epic E3 and Nintendo are a bag of cats - you just don't know.

RedSwirl

On the western development thing, I definitely think that it would at least be nice for Nintendo to enter closer partnerships with western devs and publishers, similar to what they've been doing with Platinum, Sega, Namco, and Capcom over the course of the last decade. I keep wondering whey they don't arrange these plans to heavily support games from EA, Ubisoft (well Ubisoft mostly came forward on that), or Take-Two. Bagging Monster Hunter for the 3DS was kind of a master stroke as far as the Japanese handheld market is concerned. Why haven't they tried something similar overseas?

I'm starting to think it's because they just aren't as aware. In the Iwata asks segments, Iwata seems to be very much aware of big games from other Japanese publishers. He knows their value which I imagine informs his business decisions. I don't think anyone from internal NCL has shown the same knowledge of western games outside of a handful of big PC games like SimCity.

Maybe I haven't read enough comments from guys like Iwata and Miyamoto. If that ignorance is there though, it's the same ignorance that probably allowed western console game development to overtake Japan in the first place. Nintendo's own internal development remains impeccable, but it can't support a whole game platform on its own, nor can it singlehandedly capture worldwide audiences.

The thing is, some people think if Iwata resigns than the new president will be much more hardware powered focused, some people feel if Nintendo gets a new president than the Wii U 2 will be on par spec wise with PS5 and Xbox 1080.

But that won't happen because it seems very likely the Wii U 2 will release first again while PS5 and X1080 will be a year later, unless Steambox is a full console trying to attack Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft than the Wii U 2 would most likely be more powerful than the Steambox 2 if released at the same time.

I don't think so either. Packaging and marketing somewhat old technology has been a major part of Nintendo's strategy ever since they've been in the video game business. It comes all the way from Gunpei Yokoi. Sure they've made up-to-par hardware in the past, but it's never been some kind of sacred cow for them to do so.

Furthermore, we still have to take into account how Nintendo has to behave when it comes to selling hardware compared to Sony or Microsoft. Unlike them, Nintendo can't afford to be a loss leader.

Of course and not only him.

I believe that Iwata will not step down unless he want to.
Yamauchi well know that fortunes in the videogames market rapidly changes and the CEO must endure under good and bad times.
Identity is a much pressing concern.

Exactly and he should want someone that can adapt to changing conditions instead of having years to make a good launch and completely fail at almost every level.

Nintendo need an epic E3

General rule is unveiling a console trumps all. Nintendo had 2 E3s in the spotlight. No matter what they show they will be overshadowed.

Miyamoto has been out of touch for quite a long time. After the N64, when he became General Manager, he went downhill completely. When he decided to change the aesthetics from Zelda to cel-shading, fooling the fans and destroying the hype for the Spaceworld 2001 Zelda demo, this revealed Miyamoto began to lost his touch with reality. Sorry, Wind Waker fans, I know you love this game so much, but strategically speaking, was a bad move.

He's living in the shadow of his past and using it to promote itself and keep the spotlight. He didn't manage to follow the changes of the gaming industry and try to resist those changes in order to keep it on a way he would still be king, but we aren't in the 80's and 90's anymore, so Miyamoto became stucked in the past.

He needs to retire.
This "realistic" Zelda would have come out on the purple lunchbox with a handle and a less friendly online solution than the Xbox. Nintendo's hardware and marketing was far more of a problem than a singular Zelda.

Maybe, but if you're saying that cutting edge hardware automatically equals Ocarina of Time level games, and can only be achieved on said hardware, you're pretty off the mark. Galaxy happened on hardware that could have come out in 2003. It was still amazing.

Then you missed his point completely. He said when your focus is to make games like Wii Sports, Wii Fit, Nintendo Land and Wii Music, you don't need to have strong hardware to achieve that. Sorry, but Mario Galaxy and Xenoblade alone can't hide the direction Iwata chose Nintendo to follow.

This "realistic" Zelda would have come out on the purple lunchbox with a handle and a less friendly online solution than the Xbox. Nintendo's hardware and marketing was far more of a problem than a singular Zelda.

But the change of aesthetics from Zelda GCN to a cel-shading visual DID made many people to skip the GCN and enforced the "Nintendo is kiddy" stereotype even further, which was already being spreaded by Sony fanboys. All the hype and expectation for a true Ocarina of Time sequel was destroyed after the change of aesthetics. Miyamoto being the General Manager had responsability for this decision and this had a negative impact of GameCube, and even Nintendo, reception in the core market.

Hakai

Miyamoto has been out of touch for quite a long time. After the N64, when he became General Manager, he went downhill completely. When he decided to change the aesthetics from Zelda to cel-shading, fooling the fans and destroying the hype for the Spaceworld 2001 Zelda demo, this revealed Miyamoto began to lost his touch with reality. Sorry, Wind Waker fans, I know you love this game so much, but strategically speaking, was a bad move.

He's living in the shadow of his past and using it to promote itself and keep the spotlight. He didn't manage to follow the changes of the gaming industry and try to resist those changes in order to keep it on a way he would still be king, but we aren't in the 80's and 90's anymore, so Miyamoto became stucked in the past.

He needs to retire.

What? Hahahahaha oh man, you have no idea what you are talking about do you?

Actually is not, Nintendo always had this balance with their products, it is a line of thinking from Gunpei Yokoi. You don't need cutting edge technology, but a solid techonolgy that you understand everything about, and with it create an innovative device. This is in Nintendo DNA, you are missing the point because you believed in market words from the 90s.

He needs to retire.

Miyamoto is out of touch but what a terrible argument lol

Then you missed his point completely. He said when your focus is to make games like Wii Sports, Wii Fit, Nintendo Land and Wii Music, you don't need to have strong hardware to achieve that. Sorry, but Mario Galaxy and Xenoblade alone can't hide the direction Iwata chose Nintendo to follow.

Yet, Iwata is just as responsible for green-lighting expensive, ambitious games like Skyward Sword, Mario Galaxy 2, and Bayonetta 2 as he is for approving the development of Brain Age or Wii Fit. It's not as if Iwata is actively seeking to crush franchise sequels and only wants Nintendo to create new, casual-friendly IPs. He understands the need for both, as consoles aren't very successful without catering to hardcore gamers as well as branching out to attract casual gamers. I would say Iwata is actually a fairly remarkable CEO in that regard.

Miyamoto is out of touch but what a terrible argument lol

What? Are you saying changing Zelda aesthetics was a clever move?

Actually is not, Nintendo always had this balance with their products, it is a line of thinking from Gunpei Yokoi. You don't need cutting edge technology, but a solid techonolgy that you understand everything about, and with it create an innovative device. This is in Nintendo DNA, you are missing the point because you believed in market words from the 90s.

This works for the portable market but not for the console market. Nintendo can be as low tech as they want in the portables, but this direction for consoles started with Iwata. Nintendo wasn't about that before him.

NotLiquid

It's rather funny that Nintendo's expansion with casual products is used as a reason to undermine the amount of AAA software that the Wii actually provided, with some being the best they've ever made. From IPs like Mario, Metroid Prime, Donkey Kong, Punch-Out and Rhythm Heaven reaching their absolute peaks, there was a great mix between "hardcore" and "casual".

There wasn't a significantly less amount of triple A games with worse quality than that on the Gamecube, it's just a placebo because Gamecube had more of hardcore Nintendo IPs on it that didn't get an entry in the seventh gen.

RedSwirl

Let's be real here: Did online really matter that much back then? What like, 10 percent of console gamers played games online during that generation?

JoeM86

Again, I need to reiterate that if Nintendo were to go the mega hardware route that Sony and MS have done, that would be the end of Nintendo. You should fear the day that Nintendo go for that, not beg for it.

Nintendo is a games company, not an entertainment company with a games division like those two. If they went that route it would destroy their financials. You complain about Iwata having two years in the red, which is now turning around based on last quarter? Imagine it with their lossleading hardware, especially if it sells. Now THAT would be a situation which would warrant removal of the CEO.

Besides, do you really want a third, near identical, console?

What Nintendo provides these days are different experiences. This is what I love about them. Many may say the GamePad is useless, but it is very useful in games and changes the way games work. At worst, it frees up the screen from clutter. At best, it revolutionises the gaming experience.

Yes, the Wii U is failing to grab traction, but Nintendo will do what they always do, and be Nintendo. Cleaning house at Nintendo would not do anything but perhaps irreparably damage the company by deciding to go foolish routes that would result in lower financials, and perhaps the loss of the company.

This works for the portable market but not for the console market. Nintendo can be as low tech as they want in the portables, but this direction for consoles started with Iwata. Nintendo was about that before him.

Who cares? It was them experienting with styles and I actually wish Nintendo made more bold moves like WW instead of crying about it.

Imagine it with their lossleading hardware, especially if it sells. Now THAT would be a situation which would warrant removal of the CEO

Wiiu is loss leading. They didnt create some nice very cheap machine to be sold for a nice profit. They engineered the system to the point where they are losing money on the hardware and dont have any games shown that truly push the hardware

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Um, no, you clearly need to get over something that happened 12 years ago. The way people reacted to that was embarrassing in retrospect.

Wind Waker was a masterpiece and the reaction to it was indeed shameful, but it's style did nothing to help GC's image during a time NoA and NoE were struggling to present it in the west as anything but a toy in comparison with PS2 and Xbox.
You could probably view it as yet another example of the disconnect between their eastern and western operations.

Iwata was actually in charge of the development of the GameCube prior to being named CEO by Yamauchi. One of the reasons Iwata was picked as CEO was because Yamauchi was so impressed with the engineering and design work that Iwata and his team exhibited in creating the GameCube. I don't remember his exact title within the company at the time, but if you go back to interviews from several years ago, Iwata is actually quite proud of the GameCube, despite the low install base.

In fact, one of the only reasons Nintendo cites for the system's low install base was that they missed an opportunity to cut the price. They believe had they done it sooner, GameCube may have ended up being more successful. It's a lesson Iwata applied to the 3DS during it's first six months on the market. They knew they couldn't make the same mistake twice.

The gamecube was indeed a brilliant piece of engineering and design. It's biggest problem was its image as a toy, which could have been avoided by changing the aesthetics of the casing and controller. Games like the RE remakes, Metroid Prime and Twin Snakes may have been attempts to address this, but the brand was never able to leave the early stigmas behind, and later releases like Chibi Robo, Jungle Beat etc. contributed even more to the mixed messaging the company was sending with the brand.

Meanwhile PS1 and PS2 had this aspect pretty much nailed. I don't think it's a coincidence one of the first changes Iwata made was making sure all future hardware had that sex appeal the western audience has come to expect from consumer electronics. (granted, Wii U may be a misstep in this regard).

Miyamoto stepped back from corporate management in 2003 because he didn't like that he was spending more time doing paperwork than helping develop and cultivate new game development. He does very little managing of corporate business, and is basically just in charge of overseeing various games to make sure they are of high quality. And I might add that Wind Waker, over time, has proven to be one of Nintendo's most fondly remembered games from the GameCube era.

Miyamoto stepped back from corporate management in 2003 because he didn't like that he was spending more time doing paperwork than helping develop and cultivate new game development. He does very little managing of corporate business, and is basically just in charge of overseeing various games to make sure they are of high quality. And I might add that Wind Waker, over time, has proven to be one of Nintendo's most fondly remembered games from the GameCube era.

Who cares? It was them experienting with styles and I actually wish Nintendo made more bold moves like WW instead of crying about it.

Sorry, but sales for cel-shading Zelda games speaks otherwise.

Shion

Maybe, but if you're saying that cutting edge hardware automatically equals Ocarina of Time level games....
I didn't say that.

What I meant was that Nintendo approached hardware differently because, back then, they created games with a very different mentality than they are now.

You're right, good hardware doesn't automatically equals Ocarina of Time level games.

The point was that, in order to put the vision and ambition behind Ocarina of Time into practice, you needed good hardware.

Again, I need to reiterate that if Nintendo were to go the mega hardware route that Sony and MS have done, that would be the end of Nintendo. You should fear the day that Nintendo go for that, not beg for it.

Nintendo is a games company, not an entertainment company with a games division like those two. If they went that route it would destroy their financials. You complain about Iwata having two years in the red, which is now turning around based on last quarter? Imagine it with their lossleading hardware, especially if it sells. Now THAT would be a situation which would warrant removal of the CEO.

What Nintendo provides these days are different experiences. This is what I love about them. Many may say the GamePad is useless, but it is very useful in games and changes the way games work. At worst, it frees up the screen from clutter. At best, it revolutionises the gaming experience.

Yes, the Wii U is failing to grab traction, but Nintendo will do what they always do, and be Nintendo. Cleaning house at Nintendo would not do anything but perhaps irreparably damaging the company by deciding to go foolish routes that would result in lower financials, and perhaps the loss of the company.

The failure of the GameCube has proven that there is no room in the console market for a Nintendo-developed third console that's near-identical in power to its competitors.

Really, an underpowered console with a focus on gimmicks seemed like Nintendo's only option to return to a healthy amount of profitability.

It's just the Wii U is becoming another GameCube sales-wise. Nintendo's casual gimmick avenue is closing rapidly, and there's nowhere else left to turn.

Hakai

Sure it was, or can you imagine Wind Waker with realistic graphics? The game would've lost a lot.

This works for the portable market but not for the console market. Nintendo can be as low tech as they want in the portables, but this direction for consoles started with Iwata. Nintendo wasn't about that before him.

Man I know Gunpei is known more because of the Game Boy, but he was way more than just the inventor of the GB.

It is not something that someone introduced now on Nintendo consoles, it has been like that since ever, from consoles to portables, hell even before Nintendo started doing games and was doing toys.

RedSwirl

Wind Waker was a masterpiece and the reaction to it was indeed shameful, but it's style did nothing to help GC's image during a time NoA and NoE were struggling to present it in the west as anything but a toy in comparison with PS2 and Xbox.
You could probably view it as yet another example of the disconnect between their eastern and western operations.

The gamecube was indeed a brilliant piece of engineering and design. It's biggest problem was its image as a toy, which could have been avoided by changing the aesthetics of the casing and controller. Games like the RE remakes, Metroid Prime and Twin Snakes may have been attempts to address this, but the brand was never able to leave the early stigmas behind, and later releases like Chibi Robo, Jungle Beat etc. contributed even more to the mixed messaging the company was sending with the brand.

Meanwhile PS1 and PS2 had this aspect pretty much nailed. I don't think it's a coincidence one of the first changes Iwata made was making sure all future hardware had that sex appeal the western audience has come to expect from consumer electronics. (granted, Wii U may be a misstep in this regard).

And let's not pretend that the image a console needed back then was as the "mature games " machine or whatever. The original Xbox could probably be considered a case of what happens when you go in the complete opposite direction -- largely known for shooters and games from PC developers. It sold about the same as the Gamecube.

What worked so well with the PS1 and PS2 in particular is that they didn't really have an image. They were just "the game console." You could get everything on the PS2 just about. From what I remember the only genre in which the PS2 was kind of weak was shooters.

Celine

Software was what I was referring to in my previous post about Iwata.

Nintendo's software approach and philosophy saw drastic changes under Iwata's leadership.
Iwata's leadership is a continuation of Yamauchi's leadership but with a reorganization of the company to adapt to the changing times (well more than one reorganization ...).

The former NCL president dismissed the quick arrival of a next-generation console. "Nintendo has no plans to release a so-called 'next-generation' videogame console at the next year's Electronic Entertainment Expo in Las Vegas. We will rather make a new proposal that uses the GameCube at its core," he said. "Only people who do not know the videogame business would advocate the release of next-generation machines when people are not interested in cutting-edge technologies." Yamauchi added that Nintendo's leadership shares his view of the business.

Nintendo did and will always focus on sound and fun gameplay, broad appeal, local multiplayer and robust presentation that hardly seek for realism.

Yeah, Phantom Hourglass is one of the best selling zeldas in japan and sold very well worldwide. And now we're talking about sales? By that logic they shouldnt waste time on Zelda at all.

This a post from another thread:

SNES
Star Fox (4 million)
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (4.61 million)

N64
Super Mario 64 (11.62 million)
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (7.6 million)
Star Fox 64 (3.325 million)

GCN
Super Mario Sunshine (5.5 million)
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (3.07 million)
Metroid Prime (2 million)

Wii
Super Mario Galaxy (10.68 million)
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (5.82 million)

Don't have the numbers for Skyward Sword though. Yet, the numbers speak for themselves.

JoeM86

Wiiu is loss leading. They didnt create some nice very cheap machine to be sold for a nice profit. They engineered the system to the point where they are losing money on the hardware and dont have any games shown that truly push the hardware

Yeah, but not significantly loss leading like the 360 and PS3 were, and the PS4 and Durango certainly will be. Unless I'm mistaken, according to reports, just a game or two have to be bought for each console for it to turn to profitability, and the attach rate means that it is

I like Iwata, I think Nintendo's output has been really good with him on front, and if he's fired because of pressure from investors it'll probably open the gates to f2p and social bullshit that is the last thing I want from Nintendo.

VariantX

Mr. Miyamoto should absolutely be held accountable for several of the financial mishaps of the company. Miyamoto is a Managing Director on the Board of Directors, responsible for all the big decisions from business practice to hardware decisions. Then, secondly, Mr. Miyamoto is also the General Manager of the EAD Division, the larger of two internal software developers inside Nintendo of Japan. Miyamoto’s job was to coordinate and green-light / veto all those big software releases for the world wide 3DS and Wii U consoles. Both launches were terrible, and the 3DS has still been incapable of producing any new successful IPs or generating enough interest in the West. Nintendo is such a conservative company that they continue to present the image of Miyamoto being this genius game developer responsible for making the “awesome games” of today. Just look at how guided those Iwata Asks can be when Mr. Iwata spends half the interviews talking about Miyamoto’s inspiration and influence. The truth is the company should be pushing the EAD brand as the greatest developers on the planet, rather than a 60 year old executive who plays games as much as your grand father does. There are undoubtedly a lot of Miyamoto sympathizers who are going to push off any criticism, but it is seriously asinine to think a Board Director of a billion dollar company, who travels practically every month, has much time to devote as a game developer. All you seem to hear about are these clairvoyant decisions he makes, based on some philosophical whim rather than an empirical expertise of contemporary games. They need younger managers directing their hardware and software. Developers that aren’t so far removed from actually playing games.

Agree 100%. What good is all of this fresh new talent if everything is decided by the old guard? Iwata needs to do it now for the health of the company as a whole , not when miyamoto gets bored.

royalan

WHO is asking for that, though!?

RedSwirl

Yes, the Wii U is failing to grab traction, but Nintendo will do what they always do, and be Nintendo. Cleaning house at Nintendo would not do anything but perhaps irreparably damaging the company by deciding to go foolish routes that would result in lower financials, and perhaps the loss of the company.

If there existed a console identical to the other two that had all the multiplatform games IN ADDITION to Nintendo's games, it wold be my only console. That's what I think everyone has wanted since the end of the SNES era.

Still, it remains to be seen whether Nintendo COULD engineer an up-to-par machine and sell it at profit for a good price. I mean, they did so with every console up until the Wii. It's just that since then R&D on a new control method has supposedly eaten up money. What if Nintendo did merely do a "Super Wii" -- a console in the same ballpark the PS4 with a pro controller and an enhanced Wii Remote as its sole inputs?

But whatever. We may never know this.

SMD

This a post from another thread:

Don't have the numbers for Skyward Sword though. Yet, the numbers speak for themselves.

Hardly, the Gamecube had the lowest sales of all the Nintendo consoles and I still don't understand why the cel shading is an issue.

If you're someone who's interested in games then you shouldn't care so much about style and more about fidelity and content. If anything, Wind Waker's problem was that it was rushed and the last part showed.
Wind Waker had the best incarnation of Zelda and the best version of Ganondorf. If you're easily put off by an art style then I don't know what to tell you.

Schnozberry

Agree 100%. What good is all of this fresh new talent if everything is decided by the old guard? Iwata needs to do it now for the health of the company as a whole , not when miyamoto gets bored.

Fresh talent need mentors. Firing Miyamoto or Iwata resigning wouldn't solve any of Nintendo's immediate problems. It would just create a leadership vacuum that would be extremely difficult to replace, and would likely throw Nintendo's release schedules in even more disarray than they already are.

Yes on the GC which sold miserably. TP was also on 2 consoles.

Ok, if we follow the "bigger userbase, better sales" argument, shouldn't Wii TP be the best seller of all Zelda games?

Hardly, the Gamecube had the lowest sales of all the Nintendo consoles and I still don't understand why the cel shading is an issue.

If you're someone who's interested in games then you shouldn't care so much about style and more about fidelity and content. If anything, Wind Waker's problem was that it was rushed and the last part showed.
Wind Waker had the best incarnation of Zelda and the best version of Ganondorf. If you're easily put off by an art style then I don't know what to tell you.

I'm talking about sales, not about the game itself.

I don't disagree with you about their software output over the last six-to-eight years, but it's also true that under the philosophy of pushing graphics and core games like Mario and Zelda and catering their business only to hardcore gamers, their market share precipitously dropped from generation-to-generation. I mean SNES had, what, 60 million? N64 only barely sold over 30 million. GameCube didn't even hit 24 million. Iwata and his management philosophy increased their market share from the lows of the GameCube to the incredible highs of the Wii/DS era. It was an inevitable bubble that was destined to burst, sure, but it was still the only reason Nintendo made any money the last seven years.
In which dimension do you live, guys? I mean, is Mario Galaxy a casual game without hardcore mechanics? Maybe Xenoblade?
Nintendo stopped to push the hardware when doing so was meaningless from a playability point of view.
I mean, just NAME a game on Xbox 360 or PS3 that, except for the graphical advantage, wouldn't be possible on the Wii.

The DC/PS2/GC/Xbox generation set a level of performance enough to allow every kind of imaginable game to run on them. Shadow of the Colossus was impossible on a Nintendo 64, it's concept simply couldn't be achieved with Nintendo 64 hardware, but neither PS3 or Xbox360 has shown anything that couldn't be achievable on a Wii conceptually speaking.

Now on this upcoming generation of games (WiiU/Durango/PS4) we will see a smaller step than the one we saw on the PS2/GC/Xbox era to the PS3/360 era, and WiiU (which is a 2012 era hardware in terms of technology) will be closer to PS4/Durango that the Wii ever was to the PS3/360. It seems more and more evident that Nintendo has chosen the intelligent path.

Technology is not a gameplay limiter anymore, now what limits playability is the interface, and this is were Nintendo has been focusing this two last generation. The WiiU pad with it's integrated screen has more possibilities from a gameplay pow than the 8GB of RAM the PS4/Durango will have.

Pociask

If there existed a console identical to the other two that had all the multiplatform games IN ADDITION to Nintendo's games, it wold be my only console. That's what I think everyone has wanted since the end of the SNES era.

Still, it remains to be seen whether Nintendo COULD engineer an up-to-par machine and sell it at profit for a good price. I mean, they did so with every console up until the Wii. It's just that since then R&D on a new control method has supposedly eaten up money. What if Nintendo did merely do a "Super Wii" -- a console in the same ballpark the PS4 with a pro controller and an enhanced Wii Remote as its sole inputs?

Yeah, came to post this. It doesn't even have to be a mega-beast - just in the same league. Yes, I would very much like a system where I could play Nintendo exclusives and every third-party multi-platform release.

This isn't a radical notion - it's pretty much what Nintendo did for the Gamecube.

As I already said in an earlier post, the hardware power being less than the competitors is a strategy that has worked for them just about 3 times in a row now. You can't really fault it.

Certainly, we can, and do. Firstly, because handhelds and consoles are not the same thing, so it's really only worked once - with the Wii. Secondly, because the weaker hardware was not a major factor in its success. And lastly, because the weaker hardware was a major factor in its lack of support and early, extremely fast decline.

It was easy to see, and predicted by many, that the Wii U would suffer from lack of support, and related consumer disinterest, if its hardware were not a generational leap in power above PS3/360. Nintendo compounded that problem with other mistakes, but it is clearly a problem.

Criticism of their decision to go this route is well-deserved.

Schnozberry

Nintendo doesn't exist inside of a vacuum. They have very wealthy competitors that were willing to lose hundreds of dollars on every console built in order to in essence buy market share. It would be dangerous and likely fruitless for them to try and operate with the same business model.

Top Bottom