• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iwata: "Some developers have become pessimistic about Wii U"

boiled goose

good with gravy
The problem with Nintendo software is that none of it feels ambitious. 2D Mario at launch, mini-game collection Nintendoland. Retro is working on fucking Donkey Kong, 3D Mario looks like a 3DS game in terms of design. Zelda is nowhere in sight. Just X looks like a large, sweeping, epic title.

Windwaker HD! :/

Everything is a sequel, a port, or a minigame collection.
What is happening at nintendo???

The_Lump

Banned
The problem with Nintendo software is that none of it feels ambitious. 2D Mario at launch, mini-game collection Nintendoland. Retro is working on fucking Donkey Kong, 3D Mario looks like a 3DS game in terms of design. Zelda is nowhere in sight. Just X looks like a large, sweeping, epic title.

Yeah I'm pretty confused at how they let MK slip to 2014. That's just daft. Pretty much the only sure fire seller they've shown imo. Also, they should be throwing footage of X into advertising, wow the consumer a bit :D

Metallix87

This post just reeks of absurd.

Polk

I still believe that Nintendo is releasing home consoles just to shut up shareholders.

They are handheld company for long time.

Even if WiiU sell 10-20M in the life time I think they won't be in the red. They aren't making big loss on each wiiu and they know their games sell.
And they aren't forced to publish on other platforms.

Deprive

Oh wow at that graph...

I still think at best Nintendo can turn this around and get this to be a secondary console. But they would have to make some strong moves and spend some dough. Which is not likely :|

gconsole

I still believe that Nintendo is releasing home consoles just to shut up shareholders.

They are handheld company for long time.

Even if WiiU sell 10-20M in the life time I think they won't be in the red. They aren't making big loss on each wiiu and they know their games sell.
And they aren't forced to publish on other platforms.

LOL seriously?

From the company who went through the roof with Wii. Made its former president the 4th richest guy in the country. And then suddenly they release WiiU as a failure just to shut up shareholder? What mindset is this? There is a great chance that Nintendo can make a lot of money with the home console successor of Wii. And shareholder will want it. And there is no reason why Nintendo wouldn't want it. It's a business opportunity. There is no such a thing as release just to shut up shareholder dude.

WiiU is a failure only because of Nintendo incapability of maintaining its home console business. Nothing else.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
The problem with Nintendo software is that none of it feels ambitious. 2D Mario at launch, mini-game collection Nintendoland. Retro is working on fucking Donkey Kong, 3D Mario looks like a 3DS game in terms of design. Zelda is nowhere in sight.

Yep. I totally agree with this part of you post.

Still nothing "absurd" though. The point he was making was that nothing seems ambitious, and I understand that mentality (even though I personally am looking forward to all those titles)

The thing is though if they made another Galaxy, people will complain about the same thing and the originals were very ambitious.

People want Mario 64 2 as well, doesn't sound "ambitious".

I'm cool with everything being refined as it will bring topnotch games. While I don't think "ambition" is overrated, I just want kickass titles and no stinkers and it seems like they are delivering on that front.

Mario Kart 8 is more ambitious than I expected but I guess that doesn't pass that test either as it's a sequel.

Getting our socks knocked off like the first time we played Mario 64 would be cool but those days seem over and it's moreso perfecting the past for the future.

With the system selling so poorly, I think new IPs will be few and far between as they are risks or they will be casual games in nature.

dino1980

The games from Nintendo will come in the future. But the problem Nintendo have with making HD-games is showing in the upcoming games.

Remake of Wind waker.
It is possible the new Mario land is a ported 3ds game.
Pikmin delayed 10 months
No new Zelda game shown yet

I am worried that Nintendo as a game developer is maybe having the same problem as alot of other Japanese developers had in the HD-era and the downfall that came with it.

The thing is though if they made another Galaxy, people will complain about the same thing and the originals were very ambitious.

A Mario that's tailored to their new HD platform, offers a new core concept and doesn't look like the 1,5-year old 3DS game in every aspect on first sight is what people expected. I haven't seen a single E3 report on the game, including positive ones, that didn't start out with - ,,It's not the Mario game I was hoping for''.

Mario Kart 8 is more ambitious than I expected but I guess that doesn't pass that test either as it's a sequel.

MK8 looks closer to what some were expecting 3D Mario to be than 3D world, so there goes that.

Getting our socks knocked off like the first time we played Mario 64 would be cool but those days seem over and it's moreso perfecting the past for the future.

Yet they could still do it on the Wii, for some reason.

With the system selling so poorly, I think new IPs will be few and far between as they are risks or they will be casual games in nature.

The lineup right now suffers from the same problems as the shitty launch. You've got lots of big sellers on paper, but then you see the actual products and they are the exact same shit you just recently got on your last gen hardware. Or games that look identical to their equivalents on the highly superior, cheaper 3DS. This console needs an identity and isn't going anywhere with such a poor lineup, that clearly comes from higher ups that are clueless what to do with the machine and were living in their own world for years, instead of preparing for HD development.
Their excuse for no new franchises - because they offer all these new ideas within existing ones - falls apart as soon as their library looks as uninspired and lazy as on the WiiU right now.

Kurtofan

Reality seems absurd sometimes.
But this is exactly the problem. Nintendos efforts just doesnt seem good enough anymore. Many of their first party games lacked quality and soul. Ports and Updates wont help WiiU.

"lacked quality and sould" this is bullshit.

His post is absurd because of the wailing about "fucking donkey kong" (as if DKC was not a great series, or if DK was a "shameful" character somehow), Mario is a 3DS game (are you serious), no Zelda (a new zelda coming on 3DS and Wind Waker in the meantime, how is this bad), same kind of bullshit.

Fucking LOL, I can't believe I'm reading this, 3D World is impossible to do on 3DS, fullstop.

nikatapi

The games from Nintendo will come in the future. But the problem Nintendo have with making HD-games is showing in the upcoming games.

Remake of Wind waker.
Pikmin delayed 10 months
No new Zelda game shown yet

I am worried that Nintendo as a game developer is maybe having the same problem as alot of other Japanese developers had in the HD-era and the downfall that came with it.

Yeah and i think the impact of HD development is reflected on the scope of the games, they're playing it safe in terms of game design, as well as using similar assets on many games (3DS and WiiU seem to share some stuff like in SM3DW and NSMBU).

Besides not having enough titles out, i think many titles seem underwhelming in terms of making them feel like completely new experiences, even if the gameplay is something new and exciting, this conservative visual approach fails to generate any excitement.

This is why i believe only MK8 seemed like a game worth being hyped for, i'm sure the other Nintendo games will be fun, but they feel like a continuation of the samey stuff we played during the previous gen, instead of something fresh and exciting.

The_Lump

Banned

I'm cool with everything being refined as it will bring topnotch games. While I don't think "ambition" is overrated, I just want kickass titles and no stinkers and it seems like they are delivering on that front.

I concur fully! I was just being pedantic about his use of the word absurd :p

Disagreeing with someone's opinion doesn't make their opinion absurd, was my point.

Kurtofan

No, people and third parties hate Nintendo for some reason. Nintendo is perfect.

Fanboys hate Nintendo, not people.

Bad marketing and poorly planned game releases is what is hurting the Wii U, not the quality of the games.

Nintendo makes the best first party games of the industry.

Mojojo

I really don't see how Nintendo can change the ill-fated course of the WiiU, but then weird things can happen in this industry.
I just hope that whatever their post 3DS/WiiU device(s) is, it will be easy to port the few games released on WiiU so I can experience them.

QaaQer

Bad marketing and poorly planned game releases is what is hurting the Wii U, not the quality of the games.

True for those who like fucking donkey kong.

Why? Because it looks prettier?

Heck, even the idea of 4 player 3d mario would work better on 3ds by giving everyone thier own screens.

Makes me wish that the console supported 4 gamepads. That sounds like loads of fun.<--not being sarcastic.

First off, the fact the adverts exist doesn't mean there was lots of advertising. Like I said, when are those ads actually on? (I can only speak from the UK).

I don't think you're putting enough stock in advertising. Perhaps it's because I'm involved branding/advertising that I'm seeing its importance here. Occasionally, advertising alone can turn something around. and I'm not just talking about a change in advertising, I'm talking about going from zero brand awareness to....well a lot more brand awareness hopefully.
I'm not saying there is no value in advertising.

I disagree there is "no awareness" of this product. It was launched at the height of the shopping season. It was in ample supply. It has the Wii brand and a Mario game. In the UK ads were apparently aired during X-Factor. I also don't really think either of our subjective anecdotal experiences of advertising amount to conclusions on whether or not the product has been advertised.

I fail to see how advertising the value proposition on offer, as it was and as it currently is, would yield dramatically improved sales performance.
There isn't always a real need for a product, that's the point in advertising: convincing a consumer that your product is essential. Worse products have succeeded, better products have failed. Correctly strategising your advertising and branding is hugely more important than you are implying imo.
A product has to address some underlying want or need - especially one that requires a relatively significant amount of money for families on limited budgets. Market validation is the cornerstone of successful product launches. Advertising can promote a value proposition, but it doesn't create one out of thin air.

In the post quoted I asked you why exactly, whence made aware of the value proposition (on the assumption that people are not aware) there would suddenly be demand for it. The question was left unanswered.

Why does the mother of two care about a tablet controller and "asymmetric gameplay"?
Why should the college student care about "off-TV play"?
Why does the teenager who already has a 360 want a Wii U with it's marginal performance improvement over his current system?
With Vita, there was at least a tonne of awareness. Maybe they still didn't market it correctly though.
We must have been watching a different product launch. I really didn't see a "tonne of awareness." The Vita, the successor of a failed handheld in the US market, was essentially sent out to die. But again, I don't think subjective anecdotes and opinions on the degree of marketing amount to much, and I don't think the fundamental problem with Vita was marketing either. It was a product aimed at a market that wasn't there (as opposed to the Wii U, which frankly has no real focused target market.)

QaaQer

Because Donkey Kong Country is such a bad series?

You don't like it, fine. It's still one of the greatest series of gaming, quantitatively and qualitatively.

Just pointing out that judgement is in the eye of the beholder as far as 'finest first party games' goes.

I love fucking Donkey Kong, he's such a strong yet tender lover.

I found him way too hairy and unwilling to shave.

Shenzakai

Banned
I'm just sad regarding Nintendo's behaviour and disappointed on how they treat their IPs and hardware. I have enough of this shit and currently am selling all of my Ninty stuff (lots of 3DS and Wii U stuff). I also recognized that the only N games which make me smile and give me a lot of fun are still those from NES/SNES/N64 era. I'll continue playing those via emulator shit on my upcoming OUYA and/or PC. Fuck this, Nintendo!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Donkey Kong Country 3 came out in '96. Since then we have had one sequel, Donkey Kong Country Returns (or if you want to be really picky, we also had DKL3, but the gap in time remains the same). With Tropical Freeze that will make two DKC games released over the past 17 years! It's crazy that people are angry about this particular sequel but not the many sequels that Nintendo and other companies pump out far more regularly.

Donkey Kong Country 3 came out in '96. Since then we have had one sequel, Donkey Kong Country Returns (or if you want to be really picky, we also had DKL3, but the gap in time remains the same). With Tropical Freeze that will make two DKC games released over the past 17 years! It's crazy that people are angry about this particular sequel but not the many sequels that Nintendo and other companies pump out far more regularly.
It's Miyamoto's master plan two decades in the planning to suddenly flood the market with fucking Donkey Kong to put the people once and for all firmly against the DKC franchise and rally them behind Not-Artoon's New Yoshi's Island instead.

The people who "hate" Nintendo are not fanboys. They're the same people who were Nintendo's biggest fans 10 years ago.

People hate to see everything they love either brutally murdered, forgotten, or turned to shit.

Log4Girlz

Its more about who is developing the sequel and how their resources are being used. Many people expected some kind of sweeping epic title based on rumors and hopes and wishes. But instead we get a safe sequel to a 2D platformer. A genre which is not exactly the "it" thing for the young male demographic.

Some people are excited, well good for them. I'm sure it'll sell hundreds, if not thousands of copies on what is turning out to be a sales disaster of a console.

Im not gonna lie I was one of those people clamoring for DKC games for years now we had one and I was surprised and now we gonna have 2 and at first I felt kinda underwhelemed but now Im not gonna let all the complaining I did in years pasts to be for granted damnit! lol give me DKCTF now!

Hindle

Banned
It took Nintendo two years to sort out the 3DS, now it's the best selling console in the world. I wouldn't be too worried about the console.

Maybe "safe" but man, that's the strongest "poor lineup" maybe I have ever seen.

In fact, of all the Nintendo games due out this year(including The Wonderful 101), I can't see one disappointing in quality.

Again, just because it looks strong on paper doesn't make it good. The launch had 2D Mario, Assassines Creed, Batman and Call of Duty. Now you have Iwata baffled because those didn't sell and blaming previous versions.
Same goes for this year though. It has lots of previous big-sellers, but then you look at the actual games and they are either minigames or games that are also available in almost the exact form on the superior 3DS. A 3D World or DK Freeze don't show any sign of a generational leap, not only in aesthetics, but also in concepts and clearly the new overpriced controller also brings nothing new to the table, compared to the obvious advantages that the Wiimote brought for certain games like Prime 3.
There's no reason to pay 350$ to play some 3DS games (and last gen leftovers) on your TV, when the real deal offers a much more varied lineup and Nintendo still understood that games need unique selling points and identities on the 3DS.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The people who "hate" Nintendo are not fanboys. They're the same people who were Nintendo's biggest fans 10 years ago.

People hate to see everything they love either brutally murdered, forgotten, or turned to shit.
Nintendo haters are bitter people upset that Nintendo hasn't released a sequel to Doshin the Giant?

QaaQer

Im not gonna lie I was one of those people clamoring for DKC games for years now we had one and I was surprised and now we gonna have 2 and at first I felt kinda underwhelemed but now Im not gonna let all the complaining I did in years pasts to be for granted damnit! lol give me DKCTF now!

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and posit that you already own a wii u.

So what 3rd party original game coming out is suppose to sell enough to change developers minds?

L08ao.gif

Top Bottom