• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iwata: "Some developers have become pessimistic about Wii U"

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
They spent more development resources even on the smaller details like his fur yet it still looks identical to an Atari 2600 game to some.

The Wii U box art just got released.
h3hy7Lx.jpg

Shiggy

They spent more development resources even on the smaller details like his fur yet it still looks identical to an Atari 2600 game to some.

With such 3D environments, that's not much of a surprise.
ss7.jpg

And if you are amazed by his fur, you should play Donkey Kong Jungle Beat on GameCube :)

Hindle

Banned
What's your evidence for this?

• It's selling worse than the Dreamcast
  • Third parties aren't interested
  • Nintendo themselves don't know what to do with it
  • PS4/Xbox One due to come out later this year

My evidence is Nintendo are working on games, and when these games start hitting, the console will start selling. Mario, Mario Kart, SSB, all very powerful system sellers. Not to mention what else EAD are cooking up.

What's really hard to grasp is the logic that a critically acclaimed high selling game doesn't deserve even one sequel by the developer that made it.
Oh it deserves a sequel alright.

It's just weird and unexpected that with all the holes in the Wii U portfolio / library, Nintendo decided to let Retro studios to make yet another 2D platform game.

People expect something different, something new.

Shiggy

My evidence is Nintendo are working on games, and when these games start hitting, the console will start selling. Mario, Mario Kart, SSB, all very powerful system sellers. Not to mention what else EAD are cooking up.

Those titles didn't help the GameCube too much.

The_Lump

Banned
I'm not saying there is no value in advertising.

I disagree there is "no awareness" of this product. It was launched at the height of the shopping season. It was in ample supply. It has the Wii brand and a Mario game. In the UK ads were apparently aired during X-Factor. I also don't really think either of our subjective anecdotal experiences of advertising amount to conclusions on whether or not the product has been advertised.

It was apparently advertised once during Xfactor - that doesn't mean much. Believe me, I saw 3DS advertised a dozen times during WiiU launch week and jot one WiiU advert. The UK coverage was abysmal. Utter failure on Nintendo's part. But I guess it is anecdotal in the end.

I fail to see how advertising the value proposition on offer, as it was and as it currently is, would yield dramatically improved sales performance.
A product has to address some underlying want or need - especially one that requires a relatively significant amount of money for families on limited budgets. Market validation is the cornerstone of successful product launches. Advertising can promote a value proposition, but it doesn't create one out of thin air.

In the post quoted I asked you why exactly, whence made aware of the value proposition (on the assumption that people are not aware) there would suddenly be demand for it. The question was left unanswered.

Why does the mother of two care about a tablet controller and "asymmetric gameplay"?
Why should the college student care about "off-TV play"?
Why does the teenager who already has a 360 want a Wii U with it's marginal performance improvement over his current system?
We must have been watching a different product launch. I really didn't see a "tonne of awareness." The Vita, the successor of a failed handheld in the US market, was essentially sent out to die. But again, I don't think subjective anecdotes and opinions on the degree of marketing amount to much, and I don't think the fundamental problem with Vita was marketing either. It was a product aimed at a market that wasn't there (as opposed to the Wii U, which frankly has no real focused target market.)[/QUOTE]

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
M°°nblade;69081071 said:
People expect something different, something new.

People were expecting Prime 4. Which isn't different or new.

iMerc

ok, reasonable responses.
so basically everyone is crying because they were expecting a mind blowing, console revolutionising, brand new i.p. that would make all your base belong to us.

fine. but how does that translate to trashing the new DK game? because there is no indication whatsoever that this will be a disappointing sequel to the original.
the graphics are the right amount of improvement considering the art style the dev team are going for. if you were wanting it to look like trine 2, you'd need an art change.

they are improving everything about the first DKCR.
-they are expanding greatly on the level design established in the first game.
-they've adding dynamic camera work that surprisingly contributes nicely to the immersion of the game (worked well for RE4) based on videos seen.
-swimming elves are back and hopefull as awesome as they were in the original trilogy
-they've expanded the playable roster
-they made waggle optional
-they hired David-fuckin-Wise to score the soundtrack.

seriously, this game sounds fucking incredible.
so you didn't get your open-world, realistic HD graphics, futuristic sci-fi fps that you though retro were working on. i'm sorry for you. really.

but this generation will no doubt be filled with dudebro games of that description. why don't you take some time to wonder, just how many high calibre dev teams are going to put their e-penis aside & dedicate time for a 2d platformer, let alone one that's being released at retail (which hardly ANYONE does anymore).

instead, people are shitting on this DKC game and Retro because they're not doing the same thing as all the other western dev houses are doing.

Shiggy

Dam that looks good.

For a Wii U game? Seriously? Then you must have also been one of those who found the Twilight Princess textures impressive.

People were expecting Prime 4. Which isn't different or new.

But something different than yet another 2D platformer. If Nintendo wants to succeed, they need to provide a diverse lineup, limiting themselves to the audience which wants 2D platformers doesn't get them too far as the release of NSMB U has shown.

The system sold close to 20m or thereabouts. That's what I expect the Wii U will do eventually. People saying Nintendo are screwed don't know nothing about business.

If those are Nintendo's expectations, then the company's management definitely needs to be replaced. If you go from Wii sales to 20 million, then you did almost everything wrong. Also, development costs vastly increased since the release of the GCN, games need to sell more than ever. That's why 3rd party games are not viable on Wii U at this time when no 3rd party game has sold 150k in the US and no 3rd party games has sold 450k worldwide.

IrishNinja

guys ive met log4girlz

she he's actually Bernie Stolar, and hates 2D almost as much as he hates JRPG's

just, you know

take that into account

Log4Girlz

ok, reasonable responses.
so basically everyone is crying because they were expecting a mind blowing, console revolutionising, brand new i.p. that would make all your base belong to us.

fine. but how does that translate to trashing the new DK game? because there is no indication whatsoever that this will be a disappointing sequel to the original.
the graphics are the right amount of improvement considering the art style the dev team are going for. if you were wanting it to look like trine 2, you'd need an art change.

they are improving everything about the first DKCR.
-they are expanding greatly on the level design established in the first game.
-they've adding dynamic camera work that surprisingly contributes nicely to the immersion of the game (worked well for RE4) based on videos seen.
-swimming elves are back and hopefull as awesome as they were in the original trilogy
-they've expanded the playable roster
-they made waggle optional
-they hired David-fuckin-Wise to score the soundtrack.

seriously, this game sounds fucking incredible.
so you didn't get your open-world, realistic HD graphics, futuristic sci-fi fps that you though retro were working on. i'm sorry for you. really.

but this generation will no doubt be filled with dudebro games of that description. why don't you take some time to wonder, just how many high calibre dev teams are going to put their e-penis aside & dedicate time for a 2d platformer, let alone one that's being released at retail (which hardly ANYONE does anymore).

instead, people are shitting on this DKC game and Retro because they're not doing the same thing as all the other western dev houses are doing.

Gameplay-wise 2D platformers are generally not as ambitious as 3D titles. They simply do not require the same amount of resources to create art assets and in general are straight forward affairs. They do not spark the imagination like they did back in the 16 bit days when they were king.

Again, this could be the very finest example of a 2D platformer ever, and it won't move consoles. That genre basically died on consoles after the 16 bit era. They are not system sellers and that is what Nintendo needs. I think the Mario they launched with is teaching them that lesson well. High attach rate, no console sales.

Shiggy

I play games actually in motion and yes, the game will be beautiful.

So do I, and in motion I still see low-poly environments and low-resolution textures. Unfortunately, Retro does not seem to have the technical expertise to hide these deficiencies or to even avoid them - or they simply don't care.

I'M FINISHED!

But something different than yet another 2D platformer. If Nintendo wants to succeed, they need to provide a diverse lineup, limiting themselves to the audience which wants 2D platformers doesn't get them too far as the release of NSMB U has shown.

Wii U will be the only console on the market with a diverse lineup of big budget platformers. We will see if it pays off after they are all released.

Is there any full res shots of DKCR TF? Anyway, I agree it doesn't look really look all that great and have thought that snice the reveal. Kind of shocked that's what's taking 3 years.
Turned to shit: Mario and Zelda

Wtf? Even talking specifically about 2d Mario turned to shit would be hyperbolic.

The system sold close to 20m or thereabouts. That's what I expect the Wii U will do eventually. People saying Nintendo are screwed don't know nothing about business.

Apparently neither does Nintendo looking at the last few financial reports.

Good thing this isn't happening then.

It is.

Brutally murdered (and then forgotten): Metroid

Forgotten: F-ZERO and new ideas

Donkey Kong is great... if you want to buy a console just to play a 2D platformer about monkeys.

As has been said before in this thread. Nintendo has nothing in terms of diversity in their lineup of games.

Even among Nintendo's biggest fans, not everybody likes 2D platformers and Pikmin.

but this generation will no doubt be filled with dudebro games of that description.

Please, point me in the direction of the nearest "dudebro" metroid style game, because I must have missed it. I would absolutely play a good 3rd person adventure in the vein of metroid where exploration is actually important that isn't by retro.

The issue is clear: 2D mario couldn't move consoles like Nintendo wanted, and there isn't even a tiny chance that DKC does even the same numbers as NSMBU, let alone better.

Sendou

It is.

Brutally murdered (and then forgotten): Metroid

Forgotten: F-ZERO and new ideas

Donkey Kong is great... if you want to buy a console just to play a 2D platformer about monkeys.

As has been said before in this thread. Nintendo has nothing in terms of diversity in their lineup of games.

Even among Nintendo's biggest fans, not everybody likes 2D platformers and Pikmin.

Let's not be ridiculous.

NES: 1 Metroid
SNES: 1 Metroid
N64: 0 Metroids
GC: 2 Metroids
Wii: 2 Metroids
Wii U: ?

About Mario turning to shit... Best Mario games came out on Wii.

Wonderful 101 looks to play an awful lot like Pikmin. Bayonetta 2 and X are very nice though. Bayonetta wasn't much of a success and Nintendo decided to resurrect the sequel. Because reasons?

Wonderful 101 is closer to Bayonetta than Pikmin.

I'M FINISHED!

Donkey Kong is the star of Donkey Kong, and he isn't a monkey, he is a gorilla.

Gotta love how people always jump to the conclusion that the disappointed crowd wanted Nintendo to copy Mass Effect or some other generic shit.

The problem is perfectly demonstrated by your post. If you need to go into a fucking detailed search and pick out minor ,,improvements'' such as optional waggle, one new character (aka powerup), some barely noticable fur effect slapped onto the old models, transparent pipes in Mario, copying fucking NSMB multiplayer, and so on - Nintendo has failed. You didn't need to search for what's new in Mario Galaxy, shit was clear as day at first sight. The improvements a Prime 3 would get through the Wiimote were obvious the second it was unveiled.
None of the changes here show a generational leap, barely anything shown justifies the WiiU price tag, considering not a single aspect of the games are truly tailored to any aspect of this new hardware and just buying the Wii- and 3DS equivalents will surely give you the same fucking experience, for less money.
Admittedly, Nintendo's studios are held at higher standards, but they should be. They want you to buy new (overpriced) hardware and yet all they offer this gen so far are games that could be map packs at first glance. This is some Call of Duty level of laziness and one should expect better from this company.
Sure, if you don't know where to go with this redundant gamepad and just want to milk some proven concepts, at least go the obvious route and make some visually impressive games - and these last gen lookalikes this year ain't doing that job.
Mario Kart 7 to 8 or Xenoblade to X are the jumps that many expected and should be the standard. God knows when X comes, but if Mario Kart is April, one has waited one and a half years for the first Nintendo game to arrive that feels like it's existence on this new hardware is justified. Pretty damn pathetic, Iwata and other higher ups must have been handling their teams poorly for years now. Wii was killed prematurely and they still got themselves in this mess.

Gameplay-wise 2D platformers are generally not as ambitious as 3D titles. They simply do not require the same amount of resources to create art assets and in general are straight forward affairs. They do not spark the imagination like they did back in the 16 bit days when they were king.
Well, glad to know I won't be needing to bother with your opinion anymore. :p

The mere intimation that Retro's new game will be somehow lacking in production values because it's a side scrolling platformer is laughable. The level of polish and detail is likely to bitch slap 95% or "3D titles" out this year.

The_Lump

Banned
I'm not saying there is no value in advertising.

I disagree there is "no awareness" of this product. It was launched at the height of the shopping season. It was in ample supply. It has the Wii brand and a Mario game. In the UK ads were apparently aired during X-Factor. I also don't really think either of our subjective anecdotal experiences of advertising amount to conclusions on whether or not the product has been advertised.

It was apparently advertised once during Xfactor - that doesn't mean much. Believe me, I saw 3DS advertised a dozen times during WiiU launch week and jot one WiiU advert. The UK coverage was abysmal. Utter failure on Nintendo's part. But I guess it is anecdotal in the end.

I fail to see how advertising the value proposition on offer, as it was and as it currently is, would yield dramatically improved sales performance.

Well I guess we fundamentally disagree there.

A product has to address some underlying want or need - especially one that requires a relatively significant amount of money for families on limited budgets. Market validation is the cornerstone of successful product launches. Advertising can promote a value proposition, but it doesn't create one out of thin air.

Well that's subjective. I think it does address a need in exactly the same way Wii did. I'm not saying the idea is as good as that, but with Wii there was no inherent need or want for motion controls or some revolutionary new control method before it was revealed. Nintendo created that need by cleverly advertising their product. Advertising can absolutely create a need. No one needs any of this stuff but it's a marketing depts job to convince people otherwise. They're not creating these things to better humanity, they're trying to create something they can sell. Saying that, they will of course have to drop the price aswell imo. But again that's a failure of marketing too.

In the post quoted I asked you why exactly, whence made aware of the value proposition (on the assumption that people are not aware) there would suddenly be demand for it. The question was left unanswered.

Why does the mother of two care about a tablet controller and "asymmetric gameplay"?
Why should the college student care about "off-TV play"?
Why does the teenager who already has a 360 want a Wii U with it's marginal performance improvement over his current system?
We must have been watching a different product launch. I really didn't see a "tonne of awareness." The Vita, the successor of a failed handheld in the US market, was essentially sent out to die. But again, I don't think subjective anecdotes and opinions on the degree of marketing amount to much, and I don't think the fundamental problem with Vita was marketing either. It was a product aimed at a market that wasn't there (as opposed to the Wii U, which frankly has no real focused target market.)

That's subjective again. If Off-Tv play and 2nd screens are inherently redundant then why have MS and Sony included them and promoted them as big parts of their own strategies??

The concept is not completely flawed. If Nintendo drop the price slightly and actually start to promote their product (which they probably won't do until there are dome games to back up their promotion) then its possible that the product captures consumer attention.

Log4Girlz

I will never understand this.

It's an action game.

You control a horde of characters at once but that's about the only similarity.

Controlling a horde of characters which must attack in unison, dwarfed by their enemies in a semi-isometric view. Anyone not in the know could easily see them as being in the exact same genre due to several similarities.

The mere intimation that Retro's new game will be somehow lacking in production values because it's a side scrolling platformer is laughable. The level of polish and detail is likely to bitch slap 95% or "3D titles" out this year.

If Retro needs to spend the same amount of money and man power on a 2D platformer to match what is necessary to create a successful next-generation 3D adventure title along the lines of say, The Last of Us, then its time to close up shop. They are a mess.

The mere intimation that Retro's new game will be lacking in production values is laughable. The level of polish and detail is likely to bitch slap 95% or "3D titles" out this year.

Plus, the game will age much more favorably in all likelihood.

These are from the press server

jesus christ, if Nintendo would just learn would AA is it would go a long way in making their games look so much better and cleaner. And the lack of 1080p is also surprising. I guess either lack of resources or time is going on over there at Retro. As it stands DKCR on Dolphin looks way more pleasing. Ancel should teach Nintendo whatever magic he's using for that studio to be so efficient.

Controlling a horde of characters which must attack in unison, dwarfed by their enemies in a semi-isometric view. Anyone not in the know could easily see them as being in the exact same genre due to several similarities.
Never a problem when the genre is floating gun shoots soldier in head or scroll through menu for attack animation though, is it?

That's subjective again. If Off-Tv play and 2nd screens are inherently redundant then why have MS and Sony included them and promoted them as big parts of their own strategies??

Covering all the bases, so if it ever took off, they had it covered, unlike the scramble to get motion controls in the back half of last gen. The difference is MS and Sony aren't requiring you pay for it in the box, whether you like it or not. This has advantages and disadvantages, because very few peripherals that aren't included in the box ever really take off, but the gamble clearly hasn't worked for Nintendo this time either.

The_Lump

Banned
Covering all the bases, so if it ever took off, they had it covered, unlike the scramble to get motion controls in the back half of last gen. The difference is MS and Sony aren't requiring you pay for it in the box, whether you like it or not. This has advantages and disadvantages, because very few peripherals that aren't included in the box ever really take off, but the gamble clearly hasn't worked for Nintendo this time either.

I think the amount of focus they have on it and the comments of Ubisoft for example show its not simply a "just incase we need it" scenario.

If Retro needs to spend the same amount of money and man power on a 2D platformer to match what is necessary to create a successful next-generation 3D adventure title along the lines of say, The Last of Us, then its time to close up shop. They are a mess.
Do you know what polish is logz?

Log4Girlz

Never a problem when the genre is floating gun shoots soldier in head or scroll through menu for attack animation though, is it?

Watching the video gives massive "Pikmin" vibes to anyone who doesn't follow videogames. When it was first shown, a lot of people were making direct comparisons to Pikmin. To the uninitiated it will be more of the same after Pikmin 3. Sales disaster waiting to happen.

casmith07

This whole '3D World is a 3DS game!' Is stupid, really annoying and just plain wrong...

You need to elaborate. The game plays what appears to be virtually identical to 3D Land and also appears as if it'll have the same difficulty bar, that is, not very hard at all.

Shiggy

You also need to consider that their senior designers and other creatives have left to pursue other opportunities for various reasons (more freedom, not wanting to work on another DKC, family, salary, whatever). That does not help too much when creating a new game. Moreover, parts of the team (artists, designers) were stuck in helping with MK7.

Top Bottom