• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iwata: "Some developers have become pessimistic about Wii U"

I understand that it's not necessarily a primary focus, but that doesn't discount the notion that its not a fad. It's standard equipment that's being used where appropriate.

Tamagotchi or *insert whatever toy* are still for sale. Doesn't mean they weren't a fad.

The popularity and interest for motion controls outside of Kinect has plummeted so far compared to what it was for the Wii that they've become irrelevant. The Wii U and PS4 implementation of them is all the evidence one needs.

Hale-XF11

MP3 came out on August 27, 2007, I believe. So not quite a holiday release.

But the issue with the Wii U is that it's not as "new" as the Wii was.

The Wii had that "Wow, look at those motion controls!" factor, and came with a copy of Wii Sports, which was fun. It was new, fun, and there was nothing like it on the market. The Kinect and Move didn't come in until years and years later.

The Wii U is just a glorified iPad that we've all seen before. There's nothing "new" about it, hence why no one is buying it. The lack of games certainly doesn't help the case.

Yup, there's no wow factor in either the hardware or the software at this point and I haven't seen anything that indicates that there will be a wow factor with the Wii U in the next year or so. I probably wouldn't care if they were making games that I absolutely had to have.

hatchx

Banned
Only about 5,000-8,000 (at one time) people play the PC version, but it sold quite well. I wonder if the Wii U version had legs, because that seems like a lot for a game that flopped.

EDIT: Just checked: 4,800.

I play BLOPS2 all the time on WiiU with friends on the gamepad. We play online and never have issues getting into matches.

It's great and I really hope Ghosts comes to WiiU.

....what is this thread about again?

freefornow

Gold Member
Will Nintendo revise their 9M console sales target for their financial year? By my calculations, they need to sell 200000+ consoles a week (worldwide) to meet that target. Or they are going to have to have "day 1 launch" type sales in the weeks that they release a first party title.

I think the way forward is pretty obvious. They still have a decent hand held business.

- Forgo dedicated console.
- Build a single screen handheld/console hybrid.
- Call the thing Nintendo Gameboy or some semi half nostalgia title.
- Hire HTC,RIM, or someone to help with a cell phone sku.
- Make the cell phone as kid friendly as possible.
- Maybe Android base with a Tegra 5 and a good bit of RAM. This ensures developers able to target it easily.
- Have a good partner for music sales.
- All digital marketplace with proper account system that takes into account legacy purchases.
- Target primarily the youth market from 6 to 15 years old.

Opiate

My problem with this statement is actually that Iwata has historically been pretty straightforward about Nintendo's struggles.

At this point, Nintendo's struggles have gotten so bad that even he apparently feels the need to sugar coat them -- saying that third parties are "pessimistic" and that things will totally turn around when the next Mario or Zelda games sell well is completely unrealistic.

I suppose the difference is that the Wii's problems were nothing like this. The Wii's problems could be discussed in the open because the system as a whole was so successful; the Wii U, by contrast, is an absolutely catastrophic bomb, and one that they don't really have any reasonable way to replace any time soon. They cannot simply create a new console to release next year. This is a bomb that they are stuck supporting for another 3-4 years to come, at least.

This holiday is definitely going to be vital for core third party support for the Wii U. If Nintendo can move a lot of units and keep momentum going into next year, it'll be harder for developers/publishers to ignore the platform.

It's not that vital, because most of the 2014 (non-)support decisions have already been made. At best, you'll see a few more PS3/360 ports from Ubi/WB/maybe Activision than you would otherwise.

My problem with this statement is actually that Iwata has historically been pretty straightforward about Nintendo's struggles.

At this point, Nintendo's struggles have gotten so bad that even he apparently feels the need to sugar coat them -- saying that third parties are "pessimistic" and that things will totally turn around when the next Mario or Zelda games sell well is completely unrealistic.

I suppose the difference is that the Wii's problems were nothing like this. The Wii's problems could be discussed in the open because the system as a whole was so successful; the Wii U, by contrast, is an absolutely catastrophic bomb, and one that they don't really have any reasonable way to replace any time soon. They cannot simply create a new console to release next year. This is a bomb that they are stuck supporting for another 3-4 years to come, at least.

To be fair, Iwata has admitted fault for several problems with the console, including the misinformation and lack of awareness regarding the gamepad. He just hasn't addressed some of the other problems, or if he has, he brushed them under the rug.

Is it really unlikely that they won't have a new console lined up by 2016/early 2017? The N64 and GCN lasted 5 years; it doesn't seem too out there that the Wii U may be shorter by a year if things really don't work out and new management just makes a more current-gen traditional console.

Cheerilee

Does Iwata have a contingency plan at this point?

Nintendo confirmed 12-14 months into the GameCube's lifespan that work on the GameCube's successor was "well underway", and a few months later said that the FailCube Turbo (also known as the Wii) would hit the ground in 2+ to 3+ years. It ended up being 3+ years.

Opiate

To be fair, Iwata has admitted fault for several problems with the console, including the misinformation and lack of awareness regarding the gamepad. He just hasn't addressed some of the other problems, or if he has, he brushed them under the rug.

I agree, and that's my point. This is the first time where I felt that he was dramatically underestimating the problem in a serious way that is probably intended to appeal to investors.

Other companies do that all the time: they paint what is obviously a rosier picture than is realistic because it looks good to investors. Nintendo of Japan, in general, has avoided that behavior. In this little blurb, though, you'd find it difficult to spin harder than they're spinning here.

Is it really unlikely that they won't have a new console lined up by 2016/early 2017? The N64 and GCN lasted 5 years; it doesn't seem too out there that the Wii U may be shorter by a year if things really don't work out and new management just makes a more current-gen traditional console.

That's basically what I'm saying they're going to have to do, but I think this is much worse than you make it sound. That would mean nearly 4 more years (2013-2017) of basically twiddling their economic thumbs while the industry moves rapidly around and beyond them.

I think, frankly, that's what they'll have to do. I would just describe it as extremely sub-optimal.

Van Owen

Banned

Eh, he's arguably lying to investors. He knows third parties aren't coming back and that their lineup isn't going to spur sales.

Eh, he's arguably lying to investors. He knows third parties aren't coming back and that their lineup isn't going to spur sales.

Yep. Nintendo had an opportunity to finally make a new console have third party support and instead of taking advantage of it and the opportunity to be the only next gen system on the market for 12 months, they squandered it in favor of another controlling mechanism that isn't marketable. Folks can complain all they want that third parties aren't giving the machine a fair shake but at the end of the day Nintendo chose to go the route that suited it's own needs instead of those needs of the third parties.

Nintendo needs to realize that it doesn't need gimmicks to sell hardware. It needs it's first party support on a competitive piece of hardware that can nearly go toe to toe with the Xbox/Playstation. People love Mario. They love Pokemon. Nintendo doesn't seem to have confidence in it's own games because if it did it would stop with the input method gimmicks. It worked for the DS/Wii but it hasn't worked with the 3DS/Wii U. Time to move on Nintendo and put the emphasis on the games you release with comparable online infrastructure and support to the other systems.

It would be an oversimplification to say that Wii's success was actually harmful to Nintendo in the long run, but I think that there's at least an element of truth to it. It certainly seems to have convinced NCL that their corporate culture didn't need to change and that they could get away with the bare minimum of adaptation to broader industry trends.

That's basically what I'm saying they're going to have to do, but I think this is much worse than you make it sound. That would mean nearly 4 more years (2013-2017) of basically twiddling their economic thumbs while the industry moves rapidly around and beyond them.

I think, frankly, that's what they'll have to do. I would just describe it as extremely sub-optimal.
I think I misread your original comment then, thought you were suggesting Nintendo's going to ride this out when I think they're going to drop it ASAP if things keep up. Wasn't even aware I was coming across as optimistic.

EDarkness

Honestly, I think it's the worst situation for them to be in. There's nothing they can really do and at the end of the day they'll end up languishing in mediocrity for years. Just seems like such a bad place to be in. There's no doubt that they really screwed the pooch this time, and I feel like this "we aren't competing with Microsoft and Sony" business is a load of crap, and they need to drop that thinking now. There's only so much money to go around and they damn well better believe their competing with Sony and Microsoft.

I still think they should give the Wii U a couple of years and drop it like a bad habit. Go with an updated remote and better specs with a heavy dose of ass kissing to Japanese third parties. They should have been doing that months ago, but it seems like they weren't and it's coming back to haunt them.

I like Iwata, but either he doesn't understand the situation the Wii U or why it's in that situation, or he understands but chooses to downplay how serious it is. Either case is bad, in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong, I think the Wii U is a nice system, but I'm not naive to think that the writing isn't on the wall for the system.

Square2015

Now that we have NPD sales for WiiU-
Let's compare with two other consoles that were in a similar predicament:
Gamecube & Dreamcast
Dotted lines = cumulative LTDs

IwataSurprised.gif
Seems appropriate.

prag16

Banned
Come on. Their lineup will spur sales. The question is to what degree, and the jury is out on that one, at least for now.

Fredrik

Honestly, I think they should just admit that they went in a wrong direction with the console and say that a new console aimed to compete with PS4/XB1 will be out on shelves in 2-3 years, before any of them reach 20m units, or something like that.

Plus, start another ambassador program. Lower the price. Get Zelda U and Mario Galaxy out as launch titles on the new console.

And make it sound like it's well worth waiting for the new console, PS4/XB1 games will be crossgen with PS3/360 for about 2 years anyway and the differences seem to be about 720p-to-1080p and Share features for the most part, so what's the hurry really? Stick with WiiU for awesome first part Nintendo games and keep PS3/360 around for third party multiplats for 2 years.

Honestly, I think they should just admit that they went in a wrong direction with the console and say that a new console aimed to compete with PS4/XB1 will be out on shelves in 2-3 years, before any of them reach 20m units, or something like that.

Plus, start another ambassador program. Lower the price. Get Zelda U and Mario Galaxy out as launch titles on the new console.

And make it sound like it's well worth waiting for the new console, PS4/XB1 games will be crossgen with PS3/360 for about 2 years anyway and the differences seem to be about 720p-to-1080p and Share features for the most part, so what's the hurry really? Stick with WiiU for awesome first part Nintendo games and keep PS3/360 around for third party multiplats for 2 years.

So you want Nintendo to publicly state they're not going to support this system for more than a couple years? That's terrible, no offense. Nintendo should admit they went the wrong route since everybody for the most part already believes it. Nintendo should cut the price of the console, BEG third parties to put games on it, make it region free, release an account system PRONTO, do an ambassador program, and more.

Doorman

Suggestions like this keep getting brought up, and I can't help but think that such a strategy would probably land them into an even worse position in the long-run than where they're at now. Even if they were to release a hypothetical 'Nintendo NotWii," in two to three years from now, what would they be able to release on it? Nintendo's already been admitting that the transition into making HD games is tougher and taking longer than they first anticipated, so for them to have any sort of launch software available for this new system, they would have to start working on it right now...meaning 2-3 years of no software on the Wii U. Where would they get operating income from to be making these new games, then? Not to mention that in that timeframe, there will be at least some sort of userbase built up on the PS4 and XB1 made of the primary, easy-to-quantify young male demographic. They will already have their internet marketplaces and online play ecosystems well in place by then, so why would any of the major third parties suddenly start porting their games to a machine of equal power that's coming to the market 3 years late and without any established community? You still wouldn't have any third party support, for at least some of the same reasons the Wii U already has no third party support.

I've said this in other threads previously, but at this point, for the foreseeable future, I don't believe that any move Nintendo could make would ever draw in the level of third party support that the other consoles see. There will always be some excuse, be it business, marketing, ease of development, competing against Nintendo's software, install base, online community, or any number of other things. Nintendo's success has always come first and foremost from populating their own systems with their own games, the problem now is that the amount of money and time that goes into making the sort of game required to compete in the marketplace has finally reached the tipping point where they're struggling to keep up. No amount of ambassador programs or new systems or handheld/console hybrids or any of that will bring third party publishers (Western ones in particular) on board unless the other competing consoles somehow shrivel up and die completely. So at this point, whatever Nintendo can do to produce and distribute their own games to stay afloat, that's really all they can or should do.

EDarkness

Suggestions like this keep getting brought up, and I can't help but think that such a strategy would probably land them into an even worse position in the long-run than where they're at now. Even if they were to release a hypothetical 'Nintendo NotWii," in two to three years from now, what would they be able to release on it? Nintendo's already been admitting that the transition into making HD games is tougher and taking longer than they first anticipated, so for them to have any sort of launch software available for this new system, they would have to start working on it right now...meaning 2-3 years of no software on the Wii U. Where would they get operating income from to be making these new games, then? Not to mention that in that timeframe, there will be at least some sort of userbase built up on the PS4 and XB1 made of the primary, easy-to-quantify young male demographic. They will already have their internet marketplaces and online play ecosystems well in place by then, so why would any of the major third parties suddenly start porting their games to a machine of equal power that's coming to the market 3 years late and without any established community? You still wouldn't have any third party support, for at least some of the same reasons the Wii U already has no third party support.

I've said this in other threads previously, but at this point, for the foreseeable future, I don't believe that any move Nintendo could make would ever draw in the level of third party support that the other consoles see. There will always be some excuse, be it business, marketing, ease of development, competing against Nintendo's software, install base, online community, or any number of other things. Nintendo's success has always come first and foremost from populating their own systems with their own games, the problem now is that the amount of money and time that goes into making the sort of game required to compete in the marketplace has finally reached the tipping point where they're struggling to keep up. No amount of ambassador programs or new systems or handheld/console hybrids or any of that will bring third party publishers (Western ones in particular) on board unless the other competing consoles somehow shrivel up and die completely. So at this point, whatever Nintendo can do to produce and distribute their own games to stay afloat, that's really all they can or should do.

They're screwed no matter which way they go. Let the system starve for 3 or 4 years and it'll leave a lasting impression that Nintendo systems don't get software. Sack the Wii U in a year or two and then get branded as not supporting their console. What should they do? Either way is bad and wouldn't gain them anything in the long run.

Roo

They better start promoting the shit out of it then.

boiled goose

good with gravy
WiiU is screwed. Nintendo made a system no one wanted.
Not developers, not consumers.

Instead of focusing on gimmicks, nintendo should be focusing on services. Miiverse is actually pretty unique and has a lot of potential.

Make good games, and give them to consumers in awesome ways. Nintendo account, proper unified virtual console, fully integrated miiverse community, etc.

Come on. Their lineup will spur sales. The question is to what degree, and the jury is out on that one, at least for now.

I don't think it'll sell anywhere near its holiday launch numbers - the Nintendo core is (and has been) already adopting WiiU. Whether good or bad, without the casual (marketable) appeal, it's not a larger pool. I think what remains of the Nintendo console core, is around Gamecube (or less numbers).

WiiU faces a challenge this fall - 2 new and technologically superior rivals will hit the market. These two systems have been the focus of E3, third parties, the media and prominent consumer mindshare.

How can Mario move a system that no one seems to want, against the upcoming/competing systems everyone seems to want?

I beleive 2013 is already a done deal. WiiU isn't a "thing".

2014 might see some better movement when X, MarioKart, Bayonetta 2 Smash and Zelda join the fray.

But the games need to come.

They need to come consistently and they NEED to come in 2014.

Their line up will improve hardware sales to a degree, yes.

But there's also a further caveat to add; whether the new users brought about by Donkey Kong, Super Mario 3D World and Wii Party U amount to a significantly improved audience for the likes of Watch_Dogs, Arkham Origins and Black Flag.

They're screwed no matter which way they go. Let the system starve for 3 or 4 years and it'll leave a lasting impression that Nintendo systems don't get software. Sack the Wii U in a year or two and then get branded as not supporting their console. What should they do? Either way is bad and wouldn't gain them anything in the long run.

Yeah, it's gonna be a rough 4 years. Their best bet might just be to cater to their hardcore fans so that at least some fond memories are created and loyalty remains. If they keep pooling resources into "Wii" brand titles when that audience has clearly moved on, they'll have nobody left. They got through the N64 and GCN slumps and they can get through this if they play it right. Their 3DS output makes me believe they still have it in them.

But they need to massively rethink their console strategy. One idea I had is to release a standalone tablet device in a couple years that doubles as a second Gamepad. A third pillar, if you will. And I think they should look into releasing a controller shell on the Android market and experiment with some small titles and def their VC catalog. The way they are leveraging their legacy titles at the moment is not selling any systems and perhaps playing the old games for cheap will inspire people to seek out the modern sequels on the dedicated Nintendo machines.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Now that we have NPD sales for WiiU-
Let's compare with two other consoles that were in a similar predicament:
Gamecube & Dreamcast
Dotted lines = cumulative LTDs

Seems appropriate.

If this graph is accurate...

People were not kidding when they say dreamcast level sales.

They better start promoting the shit out of it then.

One concern they have to keep in mind though is both wasting resources AND devaluing their brand. If they start releasing their heavy hitters and they strike out then they can't tout future releases in those franchises as sure-fire fixes towards investors the next time they hit a rough patch.

If this graph is accurate...

People were not kidding when they say dreamcast level sales.

I've seen articles from way back that seem to validate the 1999 data at least. And they WISH the Wii U was pushing Dreamcast numbers, heh.

Daingurse

That graph is some grim shit. Anyway, I have no idea what Nintendo could possibly do to salvage this system. It seems fucked proper and Nintendo is stuck with it for now.

Your lack of will power???

Or did you get one at launch???

Because you knew exactly what you were getting yourself into if not.

Correct. I thought perhaps Nintendo actually put some effort into attracting third parties and that the hardware was a bit more powerful and capable than the PS3/360 in the ways that would allow it to handle ports for more than a year. I was wrong. That was my fault to actually give Nintendo the benefit of the doubt and to actually believe that as a company they actually meant what they said in terms of trying to attract third parties. I wont be making that mistake again.

Fredrik

So you want Nintendo to publicly state they're not going to support this system for more than a couple years? That's terrible, no offense. Nintendo should admit they went the wrong route since everybody for the most part already believes it. Nintendo should cut the price of the console, BEG third parties to put games on it, make it region free, release an account system PRONTO, do an ambassador program, and more.
Terrible for the few milions that has bought the console. Great for everyone else who like Nintendos games but doesn't believe enough in WiiU. I love WiiU, but I honestly think it's unsavable. It doesn't sell in any region. Realistically, what can change that?

Speevy

Banned
And by some developers, we mean the three or four that have even given this a second thought.

Stop being pessimistic Natsume, we love you still!

The_Lump

Banned
Not sure if serious. Yes, it's advertising was clearly a #gamechanger. :/They had ads full of shitty dubstep to be made aware of the product.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-sFdYTX1OY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezmdN4HDEoc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dbGJieRaH0

Were they particularly good ads. Not imo. Does that mean that poor advertising is the core problem. No.

Would better awareness help? Yes. Would it fix that the Wii U is offering the answer to a question no one asked? No.

There's probably some form of irony in that people were making the same complaints about Vita marketing when it was flailing early on.
Advertising is not some magic bullet that fixes everything.
Yes, a marketing reshuffle was what altered the 3DS trajectory and not a 30-40% price cut. Canny advertising did it. :/

The USP of the 3DS is still not the sell of the system. People don't buy it because of a 3D screen. A non-3D 3DS would sell just as well, if not better due to the potential of a lower price.

USPs are only valuable if they address a pain point.

The touch screen controller does not for either the "core" nor the "casual." Advertising would not change this.

You say the market will care about the touch screen controller, they just need to promote it more? Why exactly should they care? What problem does it solve for them?

First off, the fact the adverts exist doesn't mean there was lots of advertising. Like I said, when are those ads actually on? (I can only speak from the UK).

I don't think you're putting enough stock in advertising. Perhaps it's because I'm involved branding/advertising that I'm seeing its importance here. Occasionally, advertising alone can turn something around. and I'm not just talking about a change in advertising, I'm talking about going from zero brand awareness to....well a lot more brand awareness hopefully.

Re: 3DS, I clearly said there were differences in the reasoning for its initial failing. Price was one, sure. Same with WiiU to an extent. The net result was still that proper marketing played a big part in its recovery. They didn't just drop the price, they stopped with the shitty "reaction" adverts and severely stepped up the volume of advertising. With WiiU, it's hopefully going from no advertising to an avalanche of advertising.

With Vita, there was at least a tonne of awareness. Maybe they still didn't market it correctly though.

There isn't always a real need for a product, that's the point in advertising: convincing a consumer that your product is essential. Worse products have succeeded, better products have failed. Correctly strategising your advertising and branding is hugely more important than you are implying imo.

Nintendo launched the system without a real system seller that showed off the hardware's unique features in a way consumer's found compelling, Wii Sports Nintendoland is not. They came off as being fairly complacent with New Super Mario Bros U being their big tent pole launch title. But by the same token, it's not like 3rd parties, outside of Ubisoft with ZombiU, were genuinely invested in the platform either. Most 3rd party releases for the system continue to be multiplatform ports, with some arriving to the system somewhat late. Square-Enix's big contribution to the Wii U's library is going to be a nearly two year old, GotY port of Deus Ex: Human Revolution. What's that going to sell, ten copies?

Terrible, confusing branding, some people are still confused about what the Wii U is, and a lack of system selling software. As cool as some of the upcoming games look, I don't see how Pikmin 3 or Wonderful 101 are going to correct course. I can see games like that being critical darlings, I can see gamers loving those games, I can also see those games failing to move any serious amounts of hardware or even sell that well to the existing base that currently owns a Wii U.

I don't think Nintendo is ever going to win over third parties, their hardware strategy these last two generations are so out of synch with the status quo of the other platform holders. But that chart is disconcerting because their failing on the merits by which their systems usually sell.

Log4Girlz

The problem with Nintendo software is that none of it feels ambitious. 2D Mario at launch, mini-game collection Nintendoland. Retro is working on fucking Donkey Kong, 3D Mario looks like a 3DS game in terms of design. Zelda is nowhere in sight. Just X looks like a large, sweeping, epic title.

Top Bottom